Diablo® III

how to get back sold item..

YES
ITEM LOCK

YES PLEASE

Serious question: If there was an item lock feature and you still happened to lose an item because you vendored it and then left the game, how would you feel?

Incredibly stupid, because there was already a fail-safe (i.e. item lock) in place and I did not utilise it. Seriously, anybody who still vendors his equipped items despite having such a function has no right to complain about it, unless the item lock was poorly designed. If he/she comes to the forums to cry about it, you can be sure there will be a flood of "Use the item lock" comments, since Blizzard has already done their part there.

And saying that, the item lock is just a simple check box to code for. Currently, I'm scanning through my gear and stats everytime before I leave a vendor, but sometimes I can't do so (e.g. partying with others, rushing to the next uber etc). This feature would save me alot of trouble and worry. Everyday players are losing their equipped gear (even careful players), and maybe myself one dreaded day.

Please, implement this soon. It's like using a knife at a cutting board; even the most skilled chefs can eventually hurt themselves if they do not use protective gloves. The high frequency, even if coupled with a low rate of error, will ensure accidents happen.
Edited by Hayrich#6694 on 11/1/2012 10:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Incredibly stupid, because there was already a fail-safe (i.e. item lock) in place and I did not utilise it. Seriously, anybody who still vendors his equipped items despite having such a function has no right to complain about it, unless the item lock was poorly designed. If he/she comes to the forums to cry about it, you can be sure there will be a flood of "Use the item lock" comments, since Blizzard has already done their part here.

Another serious question: Why do you not feel the same way about item buyback?
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 10:04 PMPosted by Lylirra
Incredibly stupid, because there was already a fail-safe (i.e. item lock) in place and I did not utilise it. Seriously, anybody who still vendors his equipped items despite having such a function has no right to complain about it, unless the item lock was poorly designed. If he/she comes to the forums to cry about it, you can be sure there will be a flood of "Use the item lock" comments, since Blizzard has already done their part here.

Item buyback has one major flaw: It only displays a max list of recently sold items. The number of sold items per run can easily exceed that max number, and a player may not be able to retrieve a previously sold gear.

Plus, it is entirely possible that the swapped out gear may not be noticed until said player leaves the game. The buyback feature will not be able to prevent this scenario.

Item lock, on the other hand, ensures a peace of mind. Unless I actively uncheck the box for item lock, nothing I do will make me lose my gear. With item lock, It actually takes me an active measure to swap out my gear, whereas I can lose my gear accidentally with item buyback.

Anyhow, thank you for your interest in this, Lylirra. I have been a strong advocate of item lock since day 1.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
11/01/2012 10:10 PMPosted by Hayrich
Anyhow, thank you for your interest in this, Lylirra.

And thank you for indulging my questions. :)

The reason I asked them was to get very directed feedback on the topic of item lock, the buyback tab, and the vendoring process in general for our developers to consider. While discussions are great for understanding what certain players want, sometimes questions are better for understanding why.
Edited by Lylirra on 11/5/2012 10:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
Other than item lock, there are other options:
1. Remove the key binding for right click to IDing, selling and gear swap. This is actually the source of all the problems. We probably do not need to gear swap on such a regular basis that necessitates binding it to the right click, unless someone proves me otherwise.

2. Have an ID-all button
. The problem with accidentally swapping out a piece of gear arises from trying to ID too many items at a fast rate. Eliminating manual one-by-one IDing outside of the vendor window will prevent accidental gear swaps where most, if not all, of the errors occur. After the player moves to the vendor window, right click is now a sell button, and not a gear swap function. Errors do not occur here.
Reply Quote
@Hayrich

I like the 2nd idea but the first one is bad. Think about the people that pick up blues and rares to vendor, it would take too long to sell all the gear without right click when your inventory is full (and it gets full quite frequently)
Edited by Darunae#1282 on 11/1/2012 10:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Hayrich

I like the 2nd idea but the first one is bad. Think about the people that pick up blues and rares to vendor, it would take too long to sell all the gear without right click when your inventory is full (and it gets full quite frequently)

It is possible to just remove gear swap function from the right click, and keep selling/IDing intact. That said, I recognise it is not the best solution. Some players use it for magic gear swap as well.

I still believe either ID-all or item lock, or both, are the best. This is actually the consensus that has been distilled from a multitude of such similar "item lost to vendor" threads that I have been to.
Edited by Hayrich#6694 on 11/1/2012 10:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Imo instead of item lock we could have something like this:
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6893559419
Reply Quote
YES
ITEM LOCK

YES PLEASE

Serious question: If there was an item lock feature and you still happened to lose an item because you vendored it and then left the game, how would you feel?

I would assume the item lock applies on the gears that the player is currently wearing. (Just to make it clear, it does not refer to locking an item in the inventory)

Based on the above, in order for this to happen, the player need to "unlock" it first before able to swap it into inventory to vendor.

If the player consciously "unlock" the wearing gears and vendor it, then it means the player meant it to sell it.

I have this situation very frequently:

1. My bag is full, so I tele back to sell.
2. Open the inventory, ID all yellow items.
3. Talk to merchant, start vendoring, and suddenly, there is a start of new event or completion of an existing event (can't remember) and the vendoring UI force close, and I am still right clicking to sell the items. (and since the vendoring UI close, the right click become swapping the junk item with my equipped gear)
4. Without realising the last right click did the swap (especially the item looks the same), open back the merchant selling UI, continue to vendor.... and I lost the item.

So the Item Lock on equipped gear will address the above problem.

To answer your question, may I pose you another question: "Will implementing the item lock enhance the overall gaming experience?"

:)
Reply Quote
The problem is that you don't notice the gear is gone until after you've left the game and remade. Since items in buyback don't carry over then it's gone for good. I love the buyback tab because it safeguards against selling things to the vendor that you wanted in the AH. That only works though because players typically put all of their AH stuff in the stash before leaving the game and if anything is missing they can go get it back.

Unless you diligently check your gear every game before you leave, there is no safe-guard. I'm not worried about selling legendaries because they are very easy to spot. I am very worried about selling rares because I sell a ton of rares throughout the game session. This means that a confirmation will merely be an annoyance and I will quickly learn to ignore it. Thus negating the effect.

If you don't want a lock tab then you could try a favorites option that allows you to mark items you don't want to vendor with a star or something. This feature is in Borderlands 2 and it becomes very helpful in making sure you don't get rid of anything that you don't want to as you can favorite your equipped gear and the backup gear in your stash/inventory.
Edited by Beakerbite#1865 on 11/1/2012 11:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 09:34 PMPosted by Lylirra
Either the blues have been told not to answer, aren't told the answers or play a different role than people think.

It's probably a combination of the three. :)

We may not always be able to respond to a specific concern for a number of reasons. Sometimes we don't have any information to share, sometimes we're not in a position to comment, and sometimes we want to see how a discussion progresses on its own. Whenever we post in a thread, the conversation will inevitably change, and there are times when it's important that we don't get involved. Usually, when a thread gets a "blue post," it stops being a discussion between players and turns into a some sort of modified Q&A. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not always the best way to get valuable feedback.

Also, we're not just here to talk about gameplay. We're here to engage the community, too, and that involves jumping into threads that are more about chatting and less about relaying information from the development team. (We try to balance both whenever we can.)

I have been relentlessly asking this question for one reason, I like the game and I want to continue playing for a long time. That was a more honest answer than I expected.

I myself misunderstood the purpose of the blues for a quite a while. Even if players understand the inner workings of the business and that certain information simply won't be disscussed with players, its nice to hear "something" for a piece of mind.

Thank you very much Lylirra
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 10:04 PMPosted by Lylirra

It has been mentioned before, but frequently one is placed in a position where multiple items are identified, then sold to vendor at once. The process of running untill your inventory is full, portalling to town, identifying and selling creates this situation. It is exacerbated in public games where your team is waiting for you, and it is respectful to them to move with some haste.

It is relatively easy to misclick when identifying an item, click an already identified item and equip it. Most of the time this is noticed, but not always.

Respectfully, the buy back option is not an effective solution as the tab is small,and it doesn't address the realistic prospect that the accidental sale is not noticed until a player has left the game.
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 06:39 PMPosted by Lylirra
Who knows, though? Maybe an even better item will drop for you soon! :)

Are you supposed to be trolling players?
Reply Quote
While the buyback option is a great tool for recovering items sold to a vendor, it will only display the 12 most recently-sold items and will clear out whenever your character leaves a game. As other players have noted, sold items that no longer appear on the Buyback tab are permanently lost and cannot be recovered. (You can learn a bit more about our restoration policy for Diablo III [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-restorations"]here[/url].)

I know it sucks to lose something you were intending to sell on the auction house or even wear yourself, but there are many, many items to be found in Diablo III. Who knows, though? Maybe an even better item will drop for you soon! :)

99% of the stuff I find is garbage. I've played 500 hours on 1 character and I have yet to find anything worth over 100m.

The buyback tab should still have the items you sell after logging out or closing the game. This would solve a lot of issues players have with this system and save a lot of heartache when you accidentally sell something and disconnect.

Oh hey! A blue post, lets use this chance to bring up my endless QQ.
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 08:04 PMPosted by Lylirra
How about having the QA team work on a fix for this ? Something like an item lock players have been suggesting. Selling an item to a vendor thats worth millions is the players mistake for the most part, however, there should be some safety guard against it. Its just wrong when it happens.

The safeguard is the Buyback tab itself. We wouldn't have added the feature if not for the understanding that mistakes sometimes happen. Even so, there is a certain level of responsibility on the player when it comes to managing your inventory, and it's always a good idea to use caution whenever selling items to a vendor.

That said, I'm happy to relay on the feedback regarding a larger Buyback tab. We've actually already discussed the possibility of adding in some sort of "item-lock" system and, while we still feel that players should be mindful of what they're selling or have sold to a vendor before switching games, we haven't ruled out the idea completely.

this entire problem can be solved by not allowing right click to swap equip from inventory to paperdoll..

right now, you have 1 rightclick (id) and right click (equip) that is causing this problem.

I will suggest shift + right click to equip/swap equip, right click to id.

Reply Quote
How about having the QA team work on a fix for this ? Something like an item lock players have been suggesting. Selling an item to a vendor thats worth millions is the players mistake for the most part, however, there should be some safety guard against it. Its just wrong when it happens.

The safeguard is the Buyback tab itself. We wouldn't have added the feature if not for the understanding that mistakes sometimes happen. Even so, there is a certain level of responsibility on the player when it comes to managing your inventory, and it's always a good idea to use caution whenever selling items to a vendor.

That said, I'm happy to relay on the feedback regarding a larger Buyback tab. We've actually already discussed the possibility of adding in some sort of "item-lock" system and, while we still feel that players should be mindful of what they're selling or have sold to a vendor before switching games, we haven't ruled out the idea completely.

You said a bad word. "Player responsibility" A high number of individuals do not believe in personal responsibility. I know, it is sad. They would rather blame big business or the CIA for their problems.
Edited by FataLfunnel#1164 on 11/2/2012 3:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Hi, Lylirra,

Ultimately, the item lock feature protects the most precious items we have. It would not be perfect, but it is low-hanging fruit. As for precious items in inventory, the one time I did something like this, I very much knew I had it in inventory, because I keep a few items for swap for specific circumstance. Here's how you can protect:

Take an entire column in the inventory tab, and make it a different color. When the lock is applied to the paper doll, items in the left column of inventory cannot be vendored.

This does not address the new gee whiz legendary someone just found and is elsewhere in inventory, but do keep in mind that the most precious things we have, and the things we care most dearly about, are the things that we already do have. All of us know someone who has incidentally, when tired, flipped an item off the paper doll to inventory and vendored it. It's enough to make one cry.

If someone does the same with a freshly found item after some basic safeguards are in place, I think maybe they're just being careless.

That said, if you can dream up some system that knows valuable affix combos and issues a challenge, that would be great, I just envision that as being hard.
Reply Quote
You said a bad word. "Player responsibility" A high number of individuals do not believe in personal responsibility. I know, it is sad. They would rather blame big business or the CIA for their problems.

People get tired, dude. The mistake that can happen, it can happen too easily. The inventory lock is just a basic safeguard that a responsible player would like to have in order to protect themselves. It's like asking a manufacturer of cars to put locks on their doors. A responsible owner doesn't want their car stolen. Dig?
Reply Quote
When I go to sell I look at everything in my inventory to see if there is anything I don't want to sell to him. Then I put those items in a corner of my inventory. Then I right click on all the items that are not in that corner.

Another way to do it would be to drop anything you don't want to sell to the vendor before you start right clicking. You can only do that in a single player game though...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]