Diablo® III

how to get back sold item..

11/05/2012 06:00 PMPosted by SilverFox
I vote for item-lock that you click and unclick. Happens sometimes when id-ing rares, accidentally flipflop item with equipped.

was just going to post this. This would make sure nothing gets lost when mf swapping!
Reply Quote
I dont know if anyone suggested it yet cuz i came here straight from diablofans...

So i was so high once that i tought i vendored my main wep and i switched games i had a mini heart attack there that i lost my best wep but luckly it was in my stash

Then i came up with the idea of "item insurance"

basically you insure the items you want so they cannot be sold to a vendor or on AHand you can uninsure them anytime you want, but you wont be able to accidentally sell them.

The "way" to insure or un-insure an item could be by an NPC or simple right click on auction house menu like theres for "search for similiar items"
Reply Quote
what bliz is trying to say is their lazy and don't want to do coding..
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 08:04 PMPosted by Lylirra
We've actually already discussed the possibility of adding in some sort of "item-lock" system and, while we still feel that players should be mindful of what they're selling or have sold to a vendor before switching games, we haven't ruled out the idea completely.

Well, I'm pretty sure there have been many, many ideas on how to realize an "item-lock" system and I'm just going to throw in one more: What about a special Dye that makes items "unsellable"? This would have several advantages and disadvantages to consider:

Pro:
- dyes are built into the game already
- applying dyes is easy and reversible
- some cost would be linked to making an item unsellable
- easy to build into the game environment (extra colors from a special vendor, details below)
- possibility to prohibit players from salvaging or even dropping items dyed this way

Contra:
- these special dyes would need to be applied to items dyes can currently not be applied to (dye system itself might need a more or less slight rework)
- potentially confusing way to implement an "item-lock" system for inexperienced players
- potential conflict with style individualization

The dyes could be sold from a special vendor in Bastion's Keep or wherever, named after certain demon parts:
"Dune Thresher Liver Dye" - pink
"Fallen One Gallbladder Dye" - beige
"Grotesque Stitching Thread Dye" - grey
et cetera

Items dyed in these fashions would simply become unable to be sold because... well, either because they acquire an awful stench by being dyed that way or because they become bound to their wearer due to the demonic nature of these dyes. Whatever, you'll make something up that fits in. ;)
Reply Quote
Community Manager
11/06/2012 02:56 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
I have to counter-ask you a serious question: Why not?

Diablo III is a pretty straightforward hack-and-slash with a pretty straightforward supporting UI. Ideally, we want to keep the UI and its widgets as minimal as possible, so we approach additions to it carefully and with a lot of consideration.

Like I said in a previous post in this thread, the reason I asked questions wasn't to debate an idea, but to get very focused feedback on what the value of something like an item lock would actually be. A lot people might ask for a feature without really thinking about if (or how) it improves their game experience, and that's what my questions were looking to address.
Reply Quote
What a crock..blue posts are just a slap in the face to players. Blizzard suck
Reply Quote
Community Manager
11/06/2012 06:15 PMPosted by McSatan
What a crock..blue posts are just a slap in the face to players. Blizzard suck

That hurts, man. :(
Reply Quote
I would prefer allowing a change to the hotkeys for equipping/IDing items to item lock. Having item lock would make it inconvenient for ppl who want to item change during tight situations. For example, making a quick change to a weapon with more life steal against elites with RD. Or switching to gears with more defense/resist/vit against boss/elite fights.

Having a separate hotkey doesn't change the gameplay much if at all.
Reply Quote
I dont get how item insurance would complicate the UI or the game, this game is 16+ right ?

12 year olds play more complicated games

Blizzard went full retard with making things simple, this isnt super mario =/

love the game but it makes me sad
Reply Quote
I feel still positiv for the shift+right-klick idea to switch gear instead of directly equip sth with right-klick.
Reply Quote
Yeah, the only thing that needs to be prevented somehow is that *right click = equip item* thing. Even though I never vendored my equipment by mistake, I do occasionaly equip things instead of identifying the item right next to it. Which leads to a slight annoyance / such mistakes.
Reply Quote
Hey blue,
Not long ago I bought a RPG game called Kingdoms of Amalur and played that at lot. That game has an inventory feature, where you can label your items as "junk" and when you go to a vendor, you can click the "Sell all Junk" button.
I think this type of system would fit perfectly for D3, because the way I play (and probably most other people play), is that I don't fill up my inventory with loot before I take a look at it. I look at the stats of items I pick up, almost right away and compare with my currently equipped items, before I move on to kill more monsters and pick up other items.
If I somehow could alt-click the item or something similar to mark an items as "junk" (maybe the items would become grayed out or a symbol would be placed on top of it so I can easily distinguish items I have looked at already and are marked as junk, and items I have just picked up and need to look at. If this sounds a bit too advanced or might be confusing for people, then have the option be enabled when elective mode is on.

This system would help people sell their "junk" items and have a good overview of what they actually sell. That way minimize the risk of selling items they want to keep and a fast way of emptying their inventory at vendors.

I'd really like to get your response on this idea please. (and also the response of other people)
Edited by Splike#2594 on 11/7/2012 5:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
I I'd and check every item before vendor. If I'm wearing it, it isn't vendor trash, so if it does somehow end up in my bag, it looks like a decent item that I'm not selling to the vendor.

Item lock would be nice, though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Staff of herding used to be sell-able, and I'm pretty sure no one got theirs back.
Reply Quote
11/06/2012 02:45 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
Way over-complicating the fix, Krostas. The only thing that Blizzard has to do is change gear swap key bind so it's not the same as ID and vendor. Adding a +shift requirement alone fixes the problem. If they bought me a $5 footlong sub, I'd do it for them. It's literally one value to change in one line of code.

Yeah, as I said... I just wanted to throw one more idea into the pool since after all, I think it's a worthwhile addition to the game. I don't care if it's done "my way" or by implementing a checkbox to activate "item-lock", by adding an additional keybind to gear-swapping or by adding an easy to use "label as junk" option as suggested by Splike.

I just thought this could be a way to give said system a little bit more flavor and make it fit in the game world better rather than it being simply an extension to the UI. Which would be fine as well. ;)
Edited by Krostas#2972 on 11/7/2012 7:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
I know this is arguing a hypothetical, but what if Blizzard did implement an item lock and you develop habits that still allow you to lose an item?

Are we going to ask that they add more difficulties to vendoring?

I think that is Blizzard's primary concern; in designing UI's for anything, you can only add so many "Click Yes to continue" mechanics before people stop reading them. As for my own examples;

1. I have gotten so used to permanently deleting items on my desktop that I did use Shift Delete on a document I had spent a week writing. I just hit Shift Delete and followed it with an Enter as I always did.

2. I destroy items frequently at the blacksmith, and just hit click + Enter over and over. And yes, I have accidentally destroyed a legendary or two this way.

In both scenarios, a mechanic exists to prevent me from just accidentally permanently destroying something, and yet I developed a habitual means of defeating that. So my question remains (as a hypothetical); how many mechanics can be implemented before we can say "it's now OUR responsibility"?
Reply Quote
11/06/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Lylirra
I have to counter-ask you a serious question: Why not?

Diablo III is a pretty straightforward hack-and-slash with a pretty straightforward supporting UI. Ideally, we want to keep the UI and its widgets as minimal as possible, so we approach additions to it carefully and with a lot of consideration.

Like I said in a previous post in this thread, the reason I asked questions wasn't to debate an idea, but to get very focused feedback on what the value of something like an item lock would actually be. A lot people might ask for a feature without really thinking about if (or how) it improves their game experience, and that's what my questions were looking to address.

Item locking could be an advanced UI feature. It does not need to make the UI any difficult to new comers. They don't even need to know the feature exists.

The value of this feature is to protect items we have purchased or found. I bought 300m in gear over the weekend. This has a real money value of about $150. I'd like to protect that and if it means clicking through four menus to enable a feature that allowed me to protect it, I'll go through the hassle of enabling it. Item locking does not have to detract from the simplicity of the current UI at all. It's for expert players with things worth protecting.

I don't even have the "greatest" gear or anything irreplaceable. Think about the people with $1000 or more who could literally delete a $500 item by accidentally right clicking at some point. The system needs to protect our investment of time and money a little better.

That is a use case and some acceptance criteria around item locking. I'm not prescribing how it actually gets implemented other than I want to protect myself from selling, grinding, or dropping the things that are worth hundreds of dollars, hundreds of hours, or outright irreplaceable.

I should also note that the need for this feature is increased with the introduction of MP due to the fact most players will have two gear sets and be swapping items for dps/resist gear depending on the mp being ran. I'm not talking about MF swapping per kill but just changing from stash before the run.

I'd love to see the feature make it into a 1.0.5 patch and not wait for all the other grand features you have planned for 1.0.6. I trust you'll take your time to do it right but I'd rather see it get out the door and be improved upon down the link.

Thank you for considering and listening to feedback.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]