Diablo® III

how to get back sold item..

11/01/2012 08:04 PMPosted by Lylirra
How about having the QA team work on a fix for this ? Something like an item lock players have been suggesting. Selling an item to a vendor thats worth millions is the players mistake for the most part, however, there should be some safety guard against it. Its just wrong when it happens.

The safeguard is the Buyback tab itself. We wouldn't have added the feature if not for the understanding that mistakes sometimes happen. Even so, there is a certain level of responsibility on the player when it comes to managing your inventory, and it's always a good idea to use caution whenever selling items to a vendor.

That said, I'm happy to relay on the feedback regarding a larger Buyback tab. We've actually already discussed the possibility of adding in some sort of "item-lock" system and, while we still feel that players should be mindful of what they're selling or have sold to a vendor before switching games, we haven't ruled out the idea completely.

The problem with the buyback tab is that it only fits 12 items, so by the time you realize you sold your uber gear it could be too far back in the history. And most people sell full stashes of gear post-run, so really you're only able to regain about 1/3 of what you sold. Multiply that by several runs in a single game, where you're likely selling over 100 items, and the suggestion that you should check your gear before you leave the game is minimally helpful. It will likely be too late then.

Players should be careful. But there's something to be said about error-proofing. That's why they made diesel fuel nozzles not fit into unleaded gas tanks - it's not that people were necessarily stupid and careless, it's that it is human nature to make mistakes and lose focus for brief moments of time. Many careful, responsible people wrecked their cars in a moment of inattention. The request being put forward is to further enhance player enjoyment and minimize frustration by error-proofing a situation that detracts from the game experience.
Reply Quote

In both scenarios, a mechanic exists to prevent me from just accidentally permanently destroying something, and yet I developed a habitual means of defeating that. So my question remains (as a hypothetical); how many mechanics can be implemented before we can say "it's now OUR responsibility"?

Good points.

However I think the real issue here is not how to remove all responsibility from players. No matter what safeguard you put in place there will always be someone who develops habits or workarounds to the safeguard and gets burned. You can install a guard on a hydraulic press, for instance, and some fool will always try to bypass it and get their extremeties caught. The guard is there to act as an impediment - to make it difficult for someone to commit the error, in such a way that they would have to flagrantly disregard an obstacle or barrier in order to become exposed to hazard. This protects the careful, responsible workers who find the safeguard a helpful boundary to bump up against and prevent hazardous action. It does not protect those who try to bypass the safeguard. I remember a H&S friend of mine once telling me about a worker who was seriously injured in a factory when he climbed up and over 2 barriers and then ended up getting caught in a machine hanging upside down by his ankles. (I bet they had fun filling out that incident report). So I certainly would not advocate Blizzard making it "fool proof", as in impossible to make error. That would require so many layers of precaution that it wouldn't be fun to play. And I think that's what you're getting at.

Right now, however, I would argue adequate safeguard is virtually non-existent. The safeguard is Blizzard saying "players be careful" and "use the buyback feature." This is equivalent to posting a sign on the hydraulic press saying "don't go near here" but there is no guard in place. Or another sign saying "if you do get your arm stuck in here, press this E-stop button to stop the machine", which may or may not be too late depending on the circumstances. None of these precautionary measures would be considered sufficient.

Obviously the stakes are much higher in the example above than in a computer game, but I'm not comparing degrees of seriousness - I'm using it as an illustration to point out that there is some merit to putting safeguards in place to help protect otherwise careful, responsible people, and that just telling people to be careful is never considered a good safeguard against error.
Edited by NeedANooKnee#1772 on 11/15/2012 1:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
once again something for people to cry about. i havent merched a single item "accidentally" because i look at items AS i mech them. meaning i do not click to sell until i look at the stats. if you brainlessly go through and merch an entire inventory of items without atleast checking them WHILE merching then its your own damn fault
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 01:33 PMPosted by AdamR
once again something for people to cry about. i havent merched a single item "accidentally" because i look at items AS i mech them. meaning i do not click to sell until i look at the stats. if you brainlessly go through and merch an entire inventory of items without atleast checking them WHILE merching then its your own damn fault

The problem is that you're defining "brainlessly" as "an intentional disengaging of your brain from your activity", as if only people who decide to become brainless commit a brainless action. However this is not true.

All human beings commit "brainless" actions from time to time. Nobody means to lose their concentration or focus; it just happens. This is why they put rumble strips on highways, gaurds on machines, and why you always double check your test answers. It's not because people chose to be brainless; it's because humans naturally have moments of brainless-ness.

Designs that help avoid costly mistakes due to momentary brainless-ness can save our lives (in the most serious of circumstances), or simply enhance our experience and reduce frustration (as in this case here).
Reply Quote
the problem is you talk like youre smart but youre here trying to compare safety features for real world situations to dumbasses accidentally merching the wrong items in a video game lol. LOOK BEFORE YOU SELL. things like the skill bar lock were understandable because you could accidentally drag your mouse over it and pull off a skill resetting nv. this on the other hand is people just being stupid and lazy.

WOULD YOU BUY OR SELL ANYTHING IN THE REAL WORLD BEFORE LOOKING AT IT TO KNOW WHAT IT IS?????

if you wanna compare real world !@#$ thats your only comparison. so whats your real world safety feature for that? none its LOOK BEFORE YOU BUY/SELL
Reply Quote
While the buyback option is a great tool for recovering items sold to a vendor, it will only display the 12 most recently-sold items and will clear out whenever your character leaves a game. As other players have noted, sold items that no longer appear on the Buyback tab are permanently lost and cannot be recovered. (You can learn a bit more about our restoration policy for Diablo III [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-restorations"]here[/url].)

I know it sucks to lose something you were intending to sell on the auction house or even wear yourself, but there are many, many items to be found in Diablo III. Who knows, though? Maybe an even better item will drop for you soon! :)

99% of the stuff I find is garbage. I've played 500 hours on 1 character and I have yet to find anything worth over 100m.

The buyback tab should still have the items you sell after logging out or closing the game. This would solve a lot of issues players have with this system and save a lot of heartache when you accidentally sell something and disconnect.

please cry more, noob
Reply Quote

The problem with the buyback tab is that it only fits 12 items, and I am not only stupid enough to sell it in the first place, but too stupid to notice I sold it when I spam sold 43295439856 other items. In short, please protect me and the rest of the playerbase from our own stupidity.

here i translated your post for everyone
Reply Quote
Who knows, though? Maybe an even better item will drop for you soon! :)[/quote]

that never happens nice try.
Reply Quote

Keep in mind half the people you are addressing are kids (AdamR is clearly an adolescent).

yeah lets show the kids that just like in the real world, if you are dumb and dont pay attention, someone will come make it all better

who wants personal accountability, right?
Reply Quote
nothing can be done, i had a fried who sold an unid windforce in diablo 2 when the wepons tab was full. item gone. grind more
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 03:27 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
I find such great irony in these gear lock and comma threads. The people saying "just don't be stupid" are the ones posting the most unintelligible arguments (or rather no argument at all beyond calling people stupid for making mistakes).

yet shockingly the majority of the playerbase doesn't have this problem

people aren't rampantly having "oops" moments across the game

A small, yet vocal subset is, and clamoring for the devs to change perfectly fine code to suit perfectly stupid morons.

They've already nerfed this game enough, don't you think it's time you realized life comes with consequences?
Reply Quote
as a player I would say the developers have a lot more important things to work on than adding a THIRD layer of protection for player stupidity

but hey that's just me
Reply Quote
While the buyback option is a great tool for recovering items sold to a vendor, it will only display the 12 most recently-sold items and will clear out whenever your character leaves a game. As other players have noted, sold items that no longer appear on the Buyback tab are no longer available and cannot be recovered. (You can learn a bit more about our restoration policy for Diablo III [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-restorations"]here[/url].)

I know it sucks to lose something you were intending to sell on the auction house or even wear yourself, but there are many, many items to be found in Diablo III. Who knows, though? Maybe an even better item will drop for you soon! :)

great keep rolling back accounts... soon we will all have identical mempos with identical EF etc.... how exciting.... let the duping BEgin!... or continue w/e
Reply Quote
as a player I would say the developers have a lot more important things to work on than adding a THIRD layer of protection for player stupidity

but hey that's just me

What? Like allowing players to link achievements in chat? Or adding extra stash graphic tabs? Yeah, they spent time on these in 1.05. I can go on if you'd like. And you're not going to convince me that a few lines of code is going to tie up Blizzard's resources.

Spin it as "player stupidity" if that makes you feel better; It certainly makes D3 devs feel better. Professional designers will all tell you it's a stupid design. BTW, it's not adding another layer of protection (way to slurp up Blizzard's spin). It's fixing a UI that was badly designed to begin with. Come on ... you're telling me putting ID and equip and vendor on the same key is a smart idea?!?

so you would rather go through a bunch of !@#$ty time taking confirmations for every single action you make ingame? instead of taking literally a split second to glance at the item before you sell it? do you know how horrible it would be to merch an inventory of items if you had to confirm every god damn action? the ui could be more customizable but its a diablo game so what the hell they all had a fixed ui that couldnt be adjusted. does the ui suck? yup. does it make the game unplayable? nope cause obviously its not THAT BIG of an issue. but even with that said the ui dont have %^-* to do with PEOPLE NOT LOOKING BEFORE THEY SELL AN ITEM.

like i said earlier if you guys wanna keep comparing real world !@#$ compare it to buying/selling something cause thats the same. DO YOU BUY/SELL ANYTHING IN THE REAL WORLD BEFORE LOOKING AT IT?

as for the id vendor equip on the same key its called an action key..... i dont know what games youve been playing but every god damn game has a "action" key that does exactly that "actions"........
Edited by AdamR#1217 on 11/15/2012 5:24 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]