Diablo® III

Why did Health Link get changed in 1.05?

To start let me say that I usually play a barb with smash spec. 59% crit chance, and my crits fall between 600k and 1.2mil with HotA:Smash. Needless to say, Lifesteal is an important stat for me.

So prior to 1.05, the way health link worked was you would deal full damage to each of the monsters in the elite pack with the affix, and then the HP would be redistributed among the monsters within a certain range. It seemed to work well to me, but whatever.

Now, Post 1.05, Health link has been changed, and as far as I can tell, it was an undocumented change, since I didn't see anything in the patch notes. The way it works now is, the damage you deal is immediately divided by the number of monsters in the elite pack so your attack will only deal 1/3 to 1/4 damage (depending on how many monsters there are) and it affects the monsters anywhere on the map, even if they are far apart. The overall affect is the same as far as how much damage the monsters take (unless you relyed on a strategy to split them up in order to bypass the affix), BUT this winds up being a HUGE nerf to anyone who relys on Lifesteal to sustain themselves in these long fights with monsters that have 50million HP. Lifesteal only heals you for the damage numbers you do, and it only accounts for the primary hit you deal on the main target. Therefore, if you only hit 1 target in a Health-Link pack with an ability, you are only getting 1/3-1/4 of your normal lifesteal (on top of 80% lifesteal reduction in inferno).

What I want to know is, was this change meant to make Health-Link packs much more difficult for people who rely on lifesteal to keep themselves alive? Health-Link is for me, the worst affix a monster can have. Not because I try to focus 1 target down as quickly as possible, but when you are used to getting 20k+ hp back when you crit and that number is cut by 2/3, you REALLY feel it. Is lifesteal (along with reflect dmg) supposed to be the most challenging affix for people with high gear levels?

It seems to me that this is an unintended affect since they didn't try to nerf lifesteal any other way, but I would really like someone who knows to respond to this.

Edit: accidentally said reflect damage a couple times when I meant health-link. Brain is going too many directions at once.
Edited by xxAIMxx#1538 on 11/6/2012 12:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
Bump. This same issue I've posted before in bugs forum so I'll like to know this as well.
Initially I thought that the damage on healthlink mobs is bugged but then I slowly realize it is because the life steal I am getting back is much lower due to the reduced damage dealt. Especially on mp7 and higher, healthlink and reflect together can become a real problem. This change in the way they redistribute the damage seems like an indirect nerf to lifesteal.
Reply Quote
Nice to know I'm not the only one who has noticed it
Reply Quote
@OP
So you passed 100k dps?
welcome aboard to the RD whiners (including health link rd)

there is no way to counter that without shadow power gloom;p

or a very tanky build.
Edited by Gorbak#2565 on 11/6/2012 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
@OP
So you passed 100k dps?
welcome aboard to the RD whiners (including health link rd)

there is no way to counter that without shadow power gloom;p

or a very tanky build.

You didn't even read the post apparently. I use a smash barb, not dh, and my damage is over 260k with 100% uptime WotB. RD isn't remotely difficult to deal with, in fact there are many other affixes I would list ahead of RD that are more difficult. Its easy to counter, and its not what this thread is about. But thanks for bumping my thread.

P.S. Also I'm amused that you chose to respond to my thread and called me a whiner when your highest character is level 22. Unless you are an eu player that decided to make 6 us characters, you have no idea what you are even talking about in regards to RD.
Edited by xxAIMxx#1538 on 11/7/2012 1:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
I wish there was a way you could know if a blizzard employee has read your topic, kinda the way they have the blizz logo if they post on it, just maybe a blizz logo to say some1 who can make a difference has read your feedback. It would make me feel better, right now it just feels like your topic instantly gets lost and no one sees it among all the other hundreds of threads that pop up every day :/
Reply Quote
Well, before it made the game easier. Now it makes the game harder, like the rest of the affixes. Makes perfect sense to me.
Reply Quote
It seems to me that this is an unintended affect since they didn't try to nerf lifesteal any other way, but I would really like someone who knows to respond to this.

agree
Reply Quote
Hadn't noticed a severe difference but more like a tightening up of the mechanics of how it works. Either way it should be noted in patch notes or otherwise notified to the players.
Reply Quote
bump. I have noticed this would like to see a bluew responce.
Reply Quote
11/07/2012 02:51 PMPosted by Brawl
Hadn't noticed a severe difference but more like a tightening up of the mechanics of how it works. Either way it should be noted in patch notes or otherwise notified to the players.

I think this is the kind of thing that goes unnoticed for most players until your gear becomes really high level and lifesteal starts to shine for you...and then when you hit a Health Link mob and get no HP back its very noticible.

A lot of classes rely on LoH instead, which isn't affected by the new health link mechanics, since its not based on the amount of damage you deal, so these other classes/builds just don't notice it.

As for DH's using gloom, I think many of them rely on AOE abilities like ball lightning which probably hits the whole pack, and the loss of lifesteal isn't very noticible since you are overhealing anyways.
Edited by xxAIMxx#1538 on 11/7/2012 4:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have been using lifesteal through most of 1.04, i can guarantee this mechanic is exactly the same... has not been changed, it was difficult in .04, especially with mobs that can shield and its the same in .05
Reply Quote
11/07/2012 05:02 PMPosted by mars
I have been using lifesteal through most of 1.04, i can guarantee this mechanic is exactly the same... has not been changed, it was difficult in .04, especially with mobs that can shield and its the same in .05

I didn't notice it until 1.05, and it seemed to me like an overnight change. Regardless, this effect seems to me like an unintentional nerf to Lifesteal specifically.
Reply Quote
Use the healing rend. Works wonders on every pack. Just use it instead of overpower
Reply Quote
For dh,You can reasonably stack enough damage reduction stats + gloom's 15% ls to completely counter RD, but if you combine rd and health link (is this combo possible?), you're screwd unless you want to triple your defense/ls capabilities.
Edited by Boulder#1909 on 11/7/2012 7:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
Well this is interesting. Not something I have noticed with my WD mostly because I tend to only pay attention to reflect damage.

In view of fairness, the original version is the "fair" version. You are still dealing damage to the other 2/3 champions and by right you should regain health from that also.

I support this thread.
Edited by Wtflag#1258 on 11/7/2012 7:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
It,s more abt how this affix work now And whether this is actually intended. Why call it health link if it works by redistributing damage, might as well call it armor link or damage reduction or whatever. Of course there are many ways to deal with this like kiting in trash mobs or upping defense. I do abt 260k dps to elite fully buffed with abt 6% ls and 400 loh, 600 resist 6300 armor, and this not sufiicient once you reach mp7 for healthlink-rd combo. So i dunno how much more defence i need to completely negate this, and just for one affix combo.
Reply Quote
Well this is interesting. Not something I have noticed with my WD mostly because I tend to only pay attention to reflect damage.

In view of fairness, the original version is the "fair" version. You are still dealing damage to the other 2/3 champions and by right you should regain health from that also.

I support this thread.

Yeah this is what I'm saying. You are still doing damage to those other mobs, but no LS from the damage they take. IT NO FAIR

Maybe a blue will respond to this if people keep posting on it lol.
Reply Quote
I have a counter to both RD and health-link while doing above 100k dps. I use a Rend spec, it works amazingly well for most packs. The only packs I run into trouble with are ranged packs that constantly run away (such as fallen shaman) and have some sort of snaring or stunning mechanic (frozen, jailers).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]