Diablo® III

Perfecting the Act3 run - an empirical study

11/08/2012 06:21 AMPosted by Saidin
What MP level did you lvl to 100 with?

My dps was borderline for MP3; in fact, I got almost identical xp rates for both MP2 and MP3. I chose to do MP2 simply for less incoming damage and guaranteed zero deaths.
Reply Quote
I'm no way the "top notch" CM/WW advocated earlier in this post but i like statistics so i'll post my numbers.

MP8 with 150.9% bonus exp @0NV (my profile http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mrmorph-2705/hero/9490006)

I know higher MPs aren't the best for exp but i like them more as i got bored easily farming and oenshotting mobs :P (just for reference with similar quality gear i average 45m per hour with a 300k archon @MP3).

Super short peek at tower of the cursed is just to grab the 5th stack; those times are just figures as at MP8 time depends on quality of packs aswell, from a very personal perspective those two runs were harder than usual (near 100% frozen suffix which is my worst enemy).

Zone (MP8) Time (s) Exp (k/s) Exp/hour Stack EXP
Start 85728
Core 120 6,34 22830 2 86489
Damned 1 180 6,69 24100 4 87694
Cursed 39 8,67 31200 5 88032
Crater 2 301 8,86 31885,71 5 90698
Bridge+crossing 592 8,18 29462,83 5 95543
Depth 2 538 7,53 27120,44 5 99596

Start 99596
Core 158 5,42 19526,58 2 100453
Damned 1 191 7,22 25991,62 4 101832
Cursed 35 5,20 18720 5 102014
Crater 2 243 8,11 29200 5 103985
Bridge+crossing 607 6,64 23907,08 5 108016
Depth 2 510 7,19 25870,58 5 111681

Reply Quote
thank you very much for sharing mrmorph, wish more people would start collecting data , it helps yourself and community!
Reply Quote
11/08/2012 07:40 AMPosted by Robochrist
Does anyone know if storm armor shocking aspect works while in archon? I'd assume so, just haven't tried it.

i'd say shockin aspect run is rather useless for archon because you're not near mobs most of time. go with thunderstorm(dps) or scramble(mobility).
Reply Quote
11/08/2012 04:15 AMPosted by Saidin
Disagree on the getting 5 stacks in Rakkis. By the time you get 5 stacks 90% of the map will be cleared where you could have gotten that 5 stack XP from those mobs. Getting 5 stacks in the other specified zones has way less mob density and easy access to elites. Definitely worth it.
Five stacks won't magically give you more exp, it's 15% per stack (and you get the first stack most likely just upon entering rakkis) and that is on top of hellfire/gem/mp. The point is, you can quickly get 4-5 stacks by clearing rakkis and STILL get a ton of exp.
Reply Quote
I tested variations of zones all yesterday, and for me it's a mistake to skip Fields of Slaughter. No doubt about it.
Reply Quote
11/08/2012 10:42 AMPosted by eLINminator
Does anyone know if storm armor shocking aspect works while in archon? I'd assume so, just haven't tried it.

i'd say shockin aspect run is rather useless for archon because you're not near mobs most of time. go with thunderstorm(dps) or scramble(mobility).

Thanks, I'm going to keep scramble and drop teleport for diamond skin. I'm rarely out of archon and when I am, if I happen upon an elite, I'd want the ability to shield myself from damage. I'm going to bite the bullet and equip one of my sub-par hellfires on myself for tonight's clears. Staying at MP2.

Efficiency is the name of the game, right?
Reply Quote
Since I found my zunis armor last night I'm starting to play my wiz again :)

I'm still doing the standard Core->Tower 1->Arreat 2->Bridge->KD2 route though.

I tested out the Shock Armor->Scramble, and didn't like it since I don't want to try to get hit while in archon.

I tested out Shock Armor->Reactive armor and that was pretty cool. Is it worth it to just use the 130% dmg rune though instead of the ranged dmg rune? I still can't tell if shock armor hits everything or just 1 mob per tick.
Edited by SilentExodus#1477 on 11/8/2012 12:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
Since I found my zunis armor last night I'm starting to play my wiz again :)

I'm still doing the standard Core->Tower 1->Arreat 2->Bridge->KD2 route though.

I tested out the Shock Armor->Scramble, and didn't like it since I don't want to try to get hit while in archon.

I tested out Shock Armor->Reactive armor and that was pretty cool. Is it worth it to just use the 130% dmg rune though instead of the ranged dmg rune? I still can't tell if shock armor hits everything or just 1 mob per tick.

reactive is 70% dmg but you need to get hit, thunderstorm is 30% extra dmg that can hit stuff at edge of screen.

so for reactive to be better, you need to be hit once for every 2 storm armor procs.

the choice is clear, thunderstorm.
Reply Quote
I think i've gathered enough data now to have a good feel for each zone. I'd like to divide them into different XP categories.

XP++ (~18k xp/sec)
crater1
crater2
keep2

XP+ (~16k xp/sec)
skycrown
rakkis
fields

XP(~14k xp/sec)
damned

XP-(~12k xp/sec)
core
cursed
stonefort
keep1
keep3

XP--(cant sustain archon due to lack of mobs)
other towers

What do you think of this? I'm intent on moving keep1/keep3 to XP--, because the xp value is pretty low for the skels.
Reply Quote
Looks good. Should indicate that damned and cursed mean level 1, not 2.
Reply Quote
11/08/2012 03:32 PMPosted by Shelendil
Looks good. Should indicate that damned and cursed mean level 1, not 2.

Hey Shelendil, would u mind showing me your path too? I cant work out how to not hit dead ends in Keep 2 and Crater 1 :(
Reply Quote
Hello, I started to use the crater1. I just run north(to the 'exit') to avoid dead ends. But often it takes only 30 seconds and i'm done w the area.
So do you also just run to the exit? Didn't test it(XP wise), but it doesn't feel good when i just need 30 sec in approx. 1/3 of the time.
Would like to hear some other opinions about this area.
Reply Quote
couple of ways to do crater1

method1
start from regular entrance, purposely go away from exit route and find a deadend.
start from tower of damned entrance , go back to crater 1, go to another deadend.

method2, one i use
start from regular entrance, go find exit(north'ish), then when you see Azmodan's head pop up, usually there's a fork here that leads you to exit and another to a dead end, back track a bit to find another deadend.
Reply Quote
Hello, I started to use the crater1. I just run north(to the 'exit') to avoid dead ends. But often it takes only 30 seconds and i'm done w the area.
So do you also just run to the exit? Didn't test it(XP wise), but it doesn't feel good when i just need 30 sec in approx. 1/3 of the time.

If you can reliably find the exit, and it sometimes takes only 30 seconds, does it not stand to reason that by NOT going that direction, you can find a longer path with more mobs? Just TP out when you dead-end yourself.

Bonus: No Azmodan Face.
Reply Quote

If you can reliably find the exit, and it sometimes takes only 30 seconds, does it not stand to reason that by NOT going that direction, you can find a longer path with more mobs? Just TP out when you dead-end yourself.

Bonus: No Azmodan Face.

Now I can reliably tell the longer route except for only one map pattern that can spawn the deadend and the exit on either way. In that case I just TP to Crater 2 and save the time for next run, never backtrack :P
Reply Quote
tagging this for when i get home from work. couldnt find it before for some reason.

again, +1
Reply Quote
Bookmarked and bump. :)
Reply Quote
I've recently been skipping the whole "build 5NV in low trashs zones and then high xp zones". With some improvement.

This whole thing is just supposed to reduce NV stacking overhead in runs, otherwise we would just run arreat1/2/DK2 and repeat.
But to what extent ? Does it justify spending a significant time of the run duration in low xp zones ?

So let's do overhead calculation with OP's setup to use his xp/s values.

Double hellfire/ruby give +73%. Let's average NV bonus to +30% during NV stacking. Meaning you run at +103% compared to the remaining of the run at +148%. A 0.82 multiplier.

I compared running "low xp NV building" zones (13k xp/s) then good zones (17k xp/s) to running only good zones. I spend approx 1.5mn building my 5NV in Core/Damned. I can build them nearly as fast in Skycrown/Rakkis.

(13*1.5*0.82 + 17*t) / (t+1.5) > [17*1.5*0.82 + 17 * (t - 1.5)] / t

And I obtain that "low XP NV building" is interesting if my good zones run time (t) is under 1mn25s so if my full run is under 2mn55s. It is far longer.
Edited by krali#2833 on 11/22/2012 7:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
I was looking at this thinking how detailed it was and how it will help me with my Wiz... then I look who wrote it and started to laugh. Good job eLINminator! You keep helping me every day haha. I'll have to give this a go tonight/tomorrow.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]