Diablo® III

Sentry traps - 3 questions

With sentry being a lot of the new rage I had a few questions about the mechanics.

1) Does IAS matter? Does bow type matter? Does my sentry have the same fps attacks as me.

2) I'm wondering about what mods work on it from rings/ammys etc. I know crit hit and dmg do not work. What about other mods
loh
lok
knockback
Damage on rings like min/max and avg.
all effects - cold, fear, stun, etc

3) Questions on passive - I'm going to lose archery or steady aim. I don't face tank so I really do try to keep them as far away from me as possible. Since I use a bow does the 15% dmg increase work for me on my traps. Since they are normally 10 plus yards away am I getting 20% on my traps and turrets.

Thanks all.
Reply Quote
I am also wondering if traps/sentries are effected by that 20% when the damage goes off, or when you place them
Reply Quote
IAS does matter.

I don't know about LoH, but LS does not work. I think knockback does not either.
Damage on rings should work.

Probably on hit effects will not work ( I think the skill probably has proc = 0)

However, sentry build usually incorporates spike trap. If you are going to use spike trap, you should keep you crit gear, but focus on crit damage and attack speed instead of crit damage and crit chance. With echoing blast and gloom, its easy to facetank. Kiting makes sentry kind of useless, since you will loose your 2/3 sentry setup very fast.
Reply Quote
IAS does matter.

I don't know about LoH, but LS does not work. I think knockback does not either.
Damage on rings should work.

Probably on hit effects will not work ( I think the skill probably has proc = 0)

However, sentry build usually incorporates spike trap. If you are going to use spike trap, you should keep you crit gear, but focus on crit damage and attack speed instead of crit damage and crit chance. With echoing blast and gloom, its easy to facetank. Kiting makes sentry kind of useless, since you will loose your 2/3 sentry setup very fast.

Thanks for your answers. I'm a little confused about the comments on the critical gear. I am using spike trap as well. Does the crit work on that? If not why is it that important to me?

Can you explain your last statement about sentry and kiting useless. What do you mean you lose 2/3?
Reply Quote
yes, spike traps can crit, and they already have a high weapon damage %, so crits are huge. That is why I crit is still important, it will add a lot of burst damage with the traps

Well,to maximize damage with sentry, you need to make the mobs stand still, because you will want to set up 3 sentry, in a way that all of then can deal damage. In order to do that, they need to be somewhat close to each other, and they need to be set up as quick as possible. With that in mind, lets do some math: with the 8 seconds cooldown, you take 16 seconds to lay down all 3 sentry (lay down the first one, wait 8 seconds, lay down seconds one, wait more 8 seconds, lay down third one). If you are kiting, in 16 seconds, the third sentry will be pretty far away from the first one, and as the monsters follow you, they move out of range of the first sentry. So, you will never be able to set up all traps hitting the demons at the same time, which defeats the purpose of the build.

That is why spike trap: echoing blast works nice with this build. Lay your sentry, pop gloom, lay down two or three spike traps at your feet, if you want, you can move a little, set seconds trap, more spike traps, use your generator a little to build up your hatred, keep laying spike traps and sentry as they expire. Rinse and Repeat. Remember to keep up gloom all the time if you are taking heavy damage, and to activate it before up put the traps down, or else you won't get life back. Facetanking also helps echoing blast passive, because this way the monster are standing still, and each trap can hit three times.

Of course, I am assuming you are using custom engineering passive, which allows you to put down one more sentry and 3 more spike traps.

If you can't facetank, I would pick stun grenades as a generator, as you can somewhat stun lock with then, spike traps: scatter, and maybe rain of vengeance with stun rune (dont remember the name) or the knockback rune(stampede). This way you can set up the sentry, move out of the way, and keep mobs standing still with stun grenades and rain of vengeance.
Reply Quote
Search for SENTRY in this forums, there's a complete set of discussion that pretty much answered your question.

though.. ALL SENTRY and its runes EXCEPT Chain of Torment are based from your Attacks per Second and CANNOT proc LS or LoH. CHAIN of TORMENT however CAN and WILL proc ANYTHING you can proc. ALL SENTRY CANNOT CRIT.
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 05:32 PMPosted by SpartanDavid
the third sentry will be pretty far away from the first one,

That is why I always kite in a circle. Usually around some obstacle.

For the hallways/corridors, kite back and forth. You'll need something that assists you with maneuvering (eg vault or strafe). I like vault === anti-jailer.
Reply Quote
Search for SENTRY in this forums, there's a complete set of discussion that pretty much answered your question.

though.. ALL SENTRY and its runes EXCEPT Chain of Torment are based from your Attacks per Second and CANNOT proc LS or LoH. CHAIN of TORMENT however CAN and WILL proc ANYTHING you can proc. ALL SENTRY CANNOT CRIT.

Awesome. I will say the forum search. I'm partially lazy and also had these questions. What I absolutely will agree is that there needs to be some sticky on skills and other things. I wrote a post in this forum (nobody responded too) trying to give suggestions and this topic was one of them.

MY NEW QUESTION - so can they proc other things - mostly interested in knockback and potentially stun.
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 06:13 PMPosted by DogBone
the third sentry will be pretty far away from the first one,

That is why I always kite in a circle. Usually around some obstacle.

For the hallways/corridors, kite back and forth. You'll need something that assists you with maneuvering (eg vault or strafe). I like vault === anti-jailer.

Preach it brother. A few of the things I use for movement/crowd control Caltrops and/or Smoke Screen work wonders. Outdoors run in a big circle. Keywardens are a cinch.
Reply Quote
yes, spike traps can crit, and they already have a high weapon damage %, so crits are huge. That is why I crit is still important, it will add a lot of burst damage with the traps

Well,to maximize damage with sentry, you need to make the mobs stand still, because you will want to set up 3 sentry, in a way that all of then can deal damage. In order to do that, they need to be somewhat close to each other, and they need to be set up as quick as possible. With that in mind, lets do some math: with the 8 seconds cooldown, you take 16 seconds to lay down all 3 sentry (lay down the first one, wait 8 seconds, lay down seconds one, wait more 8 seconds, lay down third one). If you are kiting, in 16 seconds, the third sentry will be pretty far away from the first one, and as the monsters follow you, they move out of range of the first sentry. So, you will never be able to set up all traps hitting the demons at the same time, which defeats the purpose of the build.

That is why spike trap: echoing blast works nice with this build. Lay your sentry, pop gloom, lay down two or three spike traps at your feet, if you want, you can move a little, set seconds trap, more spike traps, use your generator a little to build up your hatred, keep laying spike traps and sentry as they expire. Rinse and Repeat. Remember to keep up gloom all the time if you are taking heavy damage, and to activate it before up put the traps down, or else you won't get life back. Facetanking also helps echoing blast passive, because this way the monster are standing still, and each trap can hit three times.

Of course, I am assuming you are using custom engineering passive, which allows you to put down one more sentry and 3 more spike traps.

If you can't facetank, I would pick stun grenades as a generator, as you can somewhat stun lock with then, spike traps: scatter, and maybe rain of vengeance with stun rune (dont remember the name) or the knockback rune(stampede). This way you can set up the sentry, move out of the way, and keep mobs standing still with stun grenades and rain of vengeance.

Wow. Truly awesome response and you sound like a guru. BTW there are many gurus on this forum.

My comments

1) The crit issue. So I need to balance my need for chance and damage. This sucks I've about completely ignored crit stuff since 1.05 ... long story

2) Didn't realize I had to have gloom up and popped before laying down traps. That is a huge and big deal. Does it have to be that way on sentry as well? If I have gloom on when I set the traps will I still get the life leech even if my gloom runs off?

More stuff to talk about what I do in tactics, pretty interesting. One big thing I will say is that when I go a sentry build without face tanking use the 6 second cooldown one.
Edited by MrGenius#1416 on 11/12/2012 11:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
Sentries don't benefit from Gloom except Chain of Torment.
Reply Quote
I'm not a guru in anyway, I'm still learning, I just spend way too much time on these forums (when I should be working)

2) Didn't realize I had to have gloom up and popped before laying down traps. That is a huge and big deal. Does it have to be that way on sentry as well? If I have gloom on when I set the traps will I still get the life leech even if my gloom runs off?

I am not sure if the traps will still activate life steal after gloom is over. Some people say this is true, but I never tested it myself. Sentry traps never give you life back, doesn't matter if you use gloom before or after setting the trap.

When I play with sentry build, I usually pick the spitfire turret paired with ballistics build, for the extra sentry dps.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 05:52 AMPosted by SpartanDavid
I am not sure if the traps will still activate life steal after gloom is over. Some people say this is true, but I never tested it myself. Sentry traps never give you life back, doesn't matter if you use gloom before or after setting the trap.

Again.. NO Sentry EXCEPT Chain of Torment rune benefits from everything that you can proc, that includes LS, LoH and Chance to.. whatever ;)

Its fun seeing 3 turrets (Chain of Torments) dealing 125% weapon damage and you get healed by them..

11/13/2012 05:52 AMPosted by SpartanDavid
When I play with sentry build, I usually pick the spitfire turret paired with ballistics build, for the extra sentry dps.

I don't know but.. with my Sentry dealing 3k-5k on the rockets.. having it deal 50% more is kinda lame.. ON MY PART. I don't know on yours since you might have higher DPS or so when geared and playing with Sentries..

That's why I took Guardian instead for extra tankiness. But if I really want to deal damage and all that, I use Chain of Torment.. >_< It takes time on getting the hang of it though.
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 11/13/2012 5:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
ballistics is near worthless for sentry because they no longer gain crit damage,
unless you are running rocketstorm and/or fire support the 50% is wasteful

another thing to note is identical sentry utilities do not stack.
you cannot have two aid stations or two guardian bubbles affect you; Not even with two Demon Hunters in the party using the same sentry, you only get the effect of 1

so if you run with another DH and you both like aid station, one of you take Aid, the other guardian, there conjunction is quite nice imo
Edited by zoid#1554 on 11/13/2012 9:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
Another few things to consider with this build....

Mark of death - rune that makes the enemies surrounding the target take additional damage also

Chakram - rune that makes the blades spiral out from point of origin

I found both of these skills pretty good for support damage and weakening enemy

Only time I use sentry is for killing flying monsters or ones that run away....apart from that I stick with careful spike trap placement :)
Reply Quote
Thanks all for responding to the thread. Some great tips in here. I'd love to talk tactics some more. I want to make sure I get my questions answered before I talk tactics.

1) So turrets don't proc any type of life steal unless you use chains of torrent. Do they proc knockback or stun?

2) I'm not a facetanker nor do I play one on TV somebody in the thread was like keep perma gloom on, how do you do that.

Thanks all.
Reply Quote
1) So turrets don't proc any type of life steal unless you use chains of torrent. Do they proc knockback or stun?

EVERYTHING you can PROC, it can proc. Except CRIT. It even procs stuff like Sky Splitter.

Anything that has ON HIT, or WHEN HITTING THEM on their item, can proc. Chance to stun and stuff like those.. can also proc from Chain of Torment. and yes. again. It's the only RUNE of SENTRY that can proc LoH and LS. even BOTH at the same time.

That's why when I'm face tanking, I prefer that rather than Guardian Sentry.

Face tanking like.. MP 10 Gloom Fart Fest tanking. Not moving an inch. Letting Ghom die due to his farts.

EDIT: Before, in 1.04. It can crit, thus could be able to proc Nightstalker.. Oh.. how I love that one.
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 11/13/2012 10:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 10:44 AMPosted by Chrizzle
It's the only RUNE of SENTRY that can proc LoH and LS

I always forget about chain of torment. Never used it, I will try it sometime.

2) I'm not a facetanker nor do I play one on TV somebody in the thread was like keep perma gloom on, how do you do that.

perma gloom is basically using gloom every 5 seconds. In a perfect scenario, you will want keep gloom up through the whole fight. With the base discipline pool and regeneration, you will be able to use gloom three times ( actually 4 if you don't mind a 2 seconds wait for the discipline regen). That will give you a total of 15 seconds (or 20 sec) of gloom uptime. Of course, it is hard to keep all fights shorter than 15 seconds, especially against elites, but there are ways to increase your gloom uptime. You can increase your discipline pool, by either using nat's set, or +discipline gear. You can increase your discipline regen using legacy nat's set (turns gloom into a free skill. Costs you 14 discipline and you regenerate 15 in that time), or you can use discipline regeneration skills, like nightstalker, vegeance, multishot - supression fire, bola shot - bitter bill, I think that is it, maybe I'm missing something.
Edited by SpartanDavid#1700 on 11/14/2012 11:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks Chrizzle and SpartanDavid.

Windforce is a great bow for this type of set-up. Knockback and high APS rule.

Spartan thanks - I use a lot of plus discipline and always seems to run out. Maybe I'm not a great player. I'm great at kiting and running though.

Yep its the gear that can cost a fortune to get. Maybe I can get some legacy Nat's to drop for me :) Yep that 15 second thing is real hard to make happen. Depending on the elites and there affixes. Good/great gear fixes a lot of problems.

Thanks for the list.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]