Diablo® III

I don't know what to do with my follower

So my follower (templar) gives me 25% magic find and is pretty tanky. He does no damage, but he isn't really supposed to. He gives me some life regen and occasionally pulls of a clutch stun charge. But overall his main purpose is to hold my extra hellfire ring so I get another 7-8% exp gain and hold a bunch of magic find items so I get that 24% MF. I really think that should be his role for you.
Edited by Predatortank#1521 on 11/14/2012 7:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Grimiku
Sometimes it’s not just identifying the role you want your follower to fulfill, but also remembering that the measurement of their success will be proportionate to the quality of gear you can give them.

Exactly. I've found some level-increase (due to mp/inferno bumping everything to ilvl63-able) follower tokens since 1.0.5 and very very seldom find myself thinking "Gosh templar, you died quickly."
Reply Quote
Enchantress with the legendary staff that charms ftw... works wonders.
Edited by BBopMcJiggy#1307 on 11/14/2012 7:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 07:24 PMPosted by BBopMcJiggy
Enchantress with the legendary staff that charms ftw... works wonders.

I was about to mention this. I found that staff in an Act 3 run and gave it to my enchantress, less damage, but the charm is hysterical. A Maximus is probably better, but eh, I got the staff for free, why not use it?
Reply Quote
go with scoundrel.

do the skills that multiply the arrow by 3x... and the skill that stuns.

make sure 100% to equip him with a COLD DAMAGE bow... and he will pretty much keep everything on the screen slowed @ 60% constantly. It's pretty OP imo... and I use scoundrel on all my characters.

Look at my WD's scoundrel to see my current setup on him.
Reply Quote
I recently geared my follower for Magic Find since it was not only what I was looking for, but also the easiest to gear up.

Sometimes it’s not just identifying the role you want your follower to fulfill, but also remembering that the measurement of their success will be proportionate to the quality of gear you can give them.

woah no need to sound smart.. coulda just said "yeah, different gear does different things..."

Yeah, it's not him; it's you.
Reply Quote
I recently geared my follower for Magic Find since it was not only what I was looking for, but also the easiest to gear up.

wait till that MF glitches out
Reply Quote
I like the templar, as he can get the best magic find with weapon/shield, and also helps with healing. He can also be made pretty tanky if you give him a good shield and lots of +stat gear (especially vit, but every stat is good for tankiness because str gives armor, dex gives evasion, and int gives all resist). It's pretty easy to get your templar to 80-100k health with decent armor and good magic find with cheap auction-house gear.
Reply Quote
follower dps will never get anywhere worthwhile, so you might as well COMPLETELY ignore that. they stack hp extremely well, and of course they are a decent source of extra mf. I would recommend you with a templar, since he snares enemies pretty well, so that will be useful for your kiting wizard. give him a butcher's sickle, it is a pulls enemies to him and stuns them for a bit, very good utility imo. for the rest, just stack vita and mf.
Reply Quote
Buriza Scoundrel with Star of Azkalkasodklkpow(leg Amulet) with chance to Stun/Freeze is quite entertaining.

Same goes with.. Azurewraith Echantress with Star of Azldkwjoek with Chance to Stun/Freeze coupled with high Attack Speed gears.. make it freeze stuff up during its AoE spell. LOL.

Templar.. I couple Cull the Weak on his TAUNT + SLOW so it gives me 15% more DPS. But now, he's just full MF gear. With 30% MF and 7% GF.
Reply Quote
I used to play a kiting wizard (until I tried to solo my first ubers... then I gave in and run CM now) and I used a Scoundrel. A couple of reasons:

1. A cold crossbow + multi-shot skill gives you slower enemies. This helps.

2. The 3% cc passive is not too shabby.

I used to run Templar but gave up on him. He'd get killed pretty much instantly, and would also charge in and scare off Treasure Goblins.

Plus, if you're gonna be spending hours farming, listening to the Scoundrel's banter is waaaaaay better than the drivel Kormac spews. Seriously, I want to rip his tongue out with hot pincers.
Reply Quote
I have a templar and its a disappointing follower. Hes a nice heal bot, but that is all. Has anybody noticed that the templar does not even tank? The AI of all the enemies ignore your follower and go for you main char, or summons. I've rarely (rarely) seen him get attacked, and when he does, he dies fast. His armor is nearly as good as my main char.

Thats doesn't make sense since the templar kinda looks like a tanky unit. Diablo 2, your mercs actually did something. Were able to inflict some kind of damage, or take a few hits (and actually attracted some aggro).

The follower serves as a heal bot, but on more. Its sad that they could be useful and interesting, but they are plain and simple sadly. Its upsetting that blizzard does not see much in followers. (like they wernt going to be useful in nightmare and up until the public raged so much. Every1 remembers that!)
Edited by Radicool#1786 on 11/15/2012 2:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
The bonus you get for higher monster power is not good enough. If you have gear good enough to farm mp5 with good speed, there isn't enough incentive to do that compared to farming mp2 with GREAT speed.

The difference in rewards is not great enough to do it even if you can. Experience needs to scale higher with mp because of the time involved with increased hp.

I like the challenge of mp7-10, but it feels like I'm wasting time because honestly there isn't a noticeable difference with loot between mp2 to mp7. I don't get "better" items. I don't get more legendaries. I don't get more exp/hr.

It just takes longer.

MP is a good concept but the scaling of mf and exp make higher levels pointless.

the density thing is an awesome idea

I concur
Reply Quote
For a Kiting build you need a couple things. Something to attrack the attention of the Monsters, something that does reasonable damage and something that can take monsters out of the fight or give you a damage buff.

So for any kiting range build Enchantress with Maximus (for the demon proc) would be your best bet. The Demon can Tank a mob of Phase Beasts no problem. Templar just gets owned.

Enchantress with Maximus will give you a demon that has taunt, he does 30k damage, and has fire chains. She can also give you more attack speed or hex the monster turning them group or a single monster into a chicken effectively making them not able to attack for a while while you pound on them.

It is the configuration that I use with my DH and it works very well.

Scoundrel with Buriza is also a good combo but the Enchantress will give you more options since you are already a ranged/kiting type character.
Edited by DrOctogon#1896 on 11/15/2012 6:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Radicool - Templar is great...as a MF booster mainly. But he is a good tank on the right maps, ie. tight quarters like the keep - he is great at plugging up doorways. Set him up with all the stun skills and that helps a lot. Heal is pretty pointless I find.

Personally, I find running at MP2-3 is most efficient for my Archlock build at about 110k DPS buffed with max magic find. And in this scenario the Templar does not need great gear to survive. His DPS is negligible - most of the time I've melted stuff before he even hits it. I don't care at all about DPS for him.

So I've equipped my Templar with max MF gear. All told he gives me 30% MF and 14% GF. I find this the most efficient use of the Templar's equipment slots. Instead of focusing on DPS for him (which wouldn't make much difference in my killing speed anyway) I use him for MF/GF which frees me to dedicate more slots to higher DPS on my char.
Edited by NeedANooKnee#1772 on 11/15/2012 6:40 AM PST
Reply Quote

I used to use an Enchantress because the charm staff is awesome, then I switched to Templar because he can use Sun Keeper. What follower/ items do you use?
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 09:56 PMPosted by magickdonut
I'm a wizard I play with a kiting build and I want to start working on my follower. First off which one would best fit a kiting build, and should I equip xp and magic find items on him? I'm not sure what to put on them at all in fact - straight dps? I have no idea - elaborate anyone?

A scoundrel with the multishot ability, equipped with a cold-damage bow or crossbow. Magic find rings and amulet, most likely, though as you farm you'll find ones that have decent stats along with the magic find (Dexterity / Vitality / Increased Attack Speed / Magic Find)
Reply Quote
I gave my follower a bow that has 48 chance of knockback. Then, I tried to max the attack speed in order to increase my survibability and spam-ability.
Reply Quote
Sometimes it’s not just identifying the role you want your follower to fulfill, but also remembering that the measurement of their success will be proportionate to the quality of gear you can give them.[/quote]

When do you break for tea?
Reply Quote
Templar- Sun keeper, mf/gf rings and ammy, MF shield
Scoundrel- windforce {can trap elites to wall} and attack speed rings ammy's
Enchantress- Grand vizier and mf/gf

Templar is a beefy mf tank tho. Alot of times traps elites in doorways which is awesome for us ranged.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]