Diablo® III

Hybrid Archon Guide

This is my favorite build and now when shock pulse will be buffed, even more. Just a small question guys, how much AS you got with this build? I don't want to drop below 2.2 as i feel AS is important for LL, i usually have 2.38 without Innas (i really want to avoid these pants).

Btw this build enabled me to run efficiently MP3 with just ~200k/750AR archon (efficiently = full alk. run in max 20-25min). Anyone who says you need 300k dps for MP3 just can't play archon.

LOL .. and i am running it with 1.94 AS on MP6 .. granted i am not going for running it as fast as possible. I do run with 250k dps though. You certainly do not need 300k dps for MP3 .. that is just bs.
Reply Quote
I'd rather they buff the range/speed of LL than its damage.
Reply Quote
I am still a bit at odds with the new patch:

Yes we were told shock pulse will be receiving a buff in damage, but nothing is mentioned about the proc of it. Will it be adjusted? If so, then the damage buff is not really going to be useful within what this build needs. Unless of course the damage buff makes those 20-40k crits go up to 80-100k crits(doubtful). Who even knows if LL will be looked at as it is a mainstream spell(at least to me).

They haven't mentioned anything about nerfs, and we know that no patch has gone without them. I still think they are going to nerf proc values just a tiny bit still. I hope not, but if they do we will have to review this guide and maybe make slight adjustments to what we want out of it.

Sort of angry that they have nerfed Reflect Damage a bit, it was really the only affix left that gave people issues. I am sure it'll still provide some sort of anger problems for the casual gamers.

The BOA items that everyone is complaining about I feel are actually a step in the right direction. It gives the grinders, the ability to roll a GG item. I know I've made nearly 100 hellfire rings, and none of them even come close to replacing my left ring in value. I am excited for these as I am a grinder and it'll be fun to potentially roll a pair of bracers with 300 intel/6 cc/100 vit/70 ar/whatever else.

Just a few thoughts on the upcoming patch, I will make another post on the matter when the actual notes are released(hoping for today, most likely tomorrow.)

----------------
I've heard now on some other guides that LS weapon is not needed, I strongly disagree with that assessment. To be able to run mp 9-10 I think the extra healing is vital to your success Yes, you can gain 30-50k dps by getting a weapon that has GG crit/socket, but good luck forking over the type of money. I'd rather pay 400-600m on a gg leech/socket/high intel(see profile) and benefit from being more tanky than glassy.

Basically:

LS on your weapon is not only used to counter reflect damage, but it is used to counter any type of damage on top of your blood magic. If you are having to take down Archon to deal with certain packs, then I don't think that is efficient whatsoever.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/14/2013 8:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
I really hope that they don't nerf LL proc rate. Right now it is no where close to being OP. I do agree with sabrewulf about upping LL's speed is better .. but that is DPS too.

I don't have the DPS, or mitigation to do MP9 or 10. However, in MP9-10, is it possible to kill an elite within the 15 sec of archon, or do you have to refresh by finding weaker mobs? Is it possible to face tank (with LS) or do you have to kite a bit? If so, the new buff to temporal flux may be useful.
Reply Quote
I can melt a pack down in mp 10 yes with just using blood magic as my only buff. The LS granted on my weapon is enough to migrate my dmg.

Is it the most ideal thing to do? No I hate farming mp 10 as it takes forever, but doable? Yes.

let me rephrase on what I mean by melt:

Melt as in killing them within one Archon use, which on MP 10 is pretty darn good. I can after that then use nova/ds/ll to fuel my recharge of archon to be good to go for the next pack.

I went SNS for awhile and had 190k/over 2.74 ias/50% crit/1000 LOH/850 ar/5k armor.....Hybrid Archon is faster, though more challenging as you will need to kite a few affix packs instead of being able to freeze.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/14/2013 8:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
Nice thing about higher MP is actually that mobs have more health which means you need less mobs to reset your archon.
Reply Quote
01/14/2013 12:07 PMPosted by Notrius
Nice thing about higher MP is actually that mobs have more health which means you need less mobs to reset your archon.

If you kill them fast with LL, you don't need archon. So either way you win :)

Depends on the MP, sometimes i also use storm armor instead of energy armor. That significantly up my DPS, and also allow another strategy against RD mobs (you can run around them and let SR kill them without hurting you).
Reply Quote
Well if diablofans.com is correct......

We will be seeing a tiny bump in LL damage, which is rather good news.

Living Lightning : Conjure a being of lightning that drifts forward, electrocuting nearby enemies for 37-(53%) weapon damage as Lightning.

An increase of 15% damage is a pretty decent upgrade. Does it make LL a damage meaningful? No, but it will act more towards your LS recovery along with dealing more damage. More damage is always better....right? *cross fingers* they haven't looked into the procs yet. The first PTR was like this as well then they started to fix things. so we shall see.

Rest of patch was pretty bland looking, nothing really appeasing for Archon ushers or even CM users. Decent buff to Blizzard, but the lack of stacking will still make it not used on anything other than speed mp runs.

Edit:

Man do I wish we had numbers like the monk received.....imagine if Arcane Orb did 800-900%!? Meh....
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/16/2013 5:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
The 1.07 PTR patch note is out.

No nerf on proc coef. In fact, proc coef is buffed for blizzard and non-LL shock pulse rune.

So i am happy. I think hybrid archon is going to be good after 1.07.
Reply Quote
Amen about the life steal weapon! I love using it to stand in desecrator like a boss!
I think I'm good to farm MP3, and can handle MP5 or 6 if I need to. Decent upgrades to rings helped out. Now to save up 500m for a weapon. :(
Reply Quote
Stratos welcome to the club. I've been sniping for a good wep deal for the last couple of days but everything with lifesteal seems so heavily overpriced, especially EF. I'm not willing to pay more than 150m tho.
Reply Quote
Anyone been on the PTR yet to see exactly how the 15% dmg upgrade to Shock Pulse acts? I am curious if on higher MPS if we can remove nova and run with WW. Is the LS better from the increased damage?

Just want to send a congratulations to Stratos, he ran MP 10 and an MP 8 uber run with me and for being still somewhat under geared he handled himself quite well.

Think he died twice on MP 10 and once on MP 8. Pretty impressive stuff, I've seen higher geared players die more often. It's a testament to not only how good a player can be and how great this build can be!
Reply Quote
Ignore this spot....had my math wrong on crit dmg.

Gaining 10% crit i will only gain 5.5k dps....that's a tough pill to swallow for most likely 120m+
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/16/2013 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 02:00 AMPosted by Notrius
Stratos welcome to the club. I've been sniping for a good wep deal for the last couple of days but everything with lifesteal seems so heavily overpriced, especially EF. I'm not willing to pay more than 150m tho.

I am in the same situation. In fact, a bit worse. I just got a ammy upgrade and i am broke now. The good news is that i get to almost 300k buffed dps (1k shy of 300!!!!) to run this build, which can do MP6 reasonably comfortably. I have tried MP7, and can still run it but not as efficient as MP6.

Now i am running with no LS ... and so the whole thing slows down when i encounter a RD mob .. which i have to kill with a combo of storm armor, ds, and LL. I found that blood magic is enough in most situation except RD.

If i am going to get a LS weapon, aside from the fact that it is going to be expensive, i am quite sure i will get a big DPS hit, and killing fast is one of the important aspect of this build.
Reply Quote
I tried to run with 230k+ and no LS and it was a bit pain, RD affix has 30% chance to appear on pack but sometimes i feel its closer to 90%. And because i still don't have the most overpriced piece of gear in D3 (cc mempo), my life isn't that great and i don't want to sacrifice AS or anything else to get a few more. I still believe that if u can't run with 35k life, 10-15k more life won't help you.
Reply Quote
The good news is that i get to almost 300k buffed dps (1k shy of 300!!!!) to run this build, which can do MP6 reasonably comfortably. I have tried MP7, and can still run it but not as efficient as MP6.

Now i am running with no LS ... and so the whole thing slows down when i encounter a RD mob .. which i have to kill with a combo of storm armor, ds, and LL. I found that blood magic is enough in most situation except RD.

If i am going to get a LS weapon, aside from the fact that it is going to be expensive, i am quite sure i will get a big DPS hit, and killing fast is one of the important aspect of this build.

I am doing this right now as well, 300k buffed MP6 without LS, for reflect packs I switch to my 3.0LS wand and it's a joke. I drop down to 240k but it honestly doesn't take more than a few seconds longer to kill than a regular pack.
Reply Quote
@Narius

Yes, a GG LS or even a remotely good one is going to draw out the big coin. All you can do is save and hope that you may find one for a bargain. A decent way to sometimes catch a deal is to search for CD(90%) LS, and Intel and see what results bring. Yes you'll miss 10% cd, but sometimes a great weapon will be like 5-10m.

@Notrius

Your EHP is a little low, and that Andy helm doesn't really help out that area. You're right on the 35k health, i was a bit nervous when I dropped to 38k health when I switched my Witching Hours, but honestly I can't tell a difference. With the new patch, I think a lot of people are going to be removing their exp gems and placing a life rune in there.

Also, I assume you played the PTR since you were talking about the reflect. How was shock pulse? Little change, but noticeable?

-----

With crafting items being apparently a waste of time, I am not really sure the direction of this patch is going for me. I was excited to potentially be rolling gg bracers/gloves, but it'd take nearly as much gold to roll as it would to eventually by a better pair of these.

I never really expected to get into PVP. This game is a casual game for me to play now that I have a family of two girls/wife/dog. PVE is what I play diablo for and I will continue supporting this build until it's ripped out of our hands.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/16/2013 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Narius

Yes, a GG LS or even a remotely good one is going to draw out the big coin. All you can do is save and hope that you may find one for a bargain. A decent way to sometimes catch a deal is to search for CD(90%) LS, and Intel and see what results bring. Yes you'll miss 10% cd, but sometimes a great weapon will be like 5-10m.

Yeah i am on the look-out. At the same time, i may wait a bit and see how 1.07 plays first. Are you doing PTR? Can you tell us how RD works now? If the RD shield is off enough, may be LS is no longer as required for this build.

Currently i either kill RD mobs slowly (by storm armor + LL/DS combo) or skip them.

I also found that in normal farming not against RD mobs, blood magic is quite enough to give the health margin for most cases (except the mob vortex you into arcane beams and walling you up).
Reply Quote
I don't use LS for just RD types, I prefer the extra healing all over the board in many cases. It allows you to heal back anytype of damage and not kite.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 02:45 PMPosted by Schenko7
I don't use LS for just RD types, I prefer the extra healing all over the board in many cases. It allows you to heal back anytype of damage and not kite.

I don't disagree although in many cases, blood magic is enough for that ... except not standing in fire, and arcane beams.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]