Diablo® III

Hybrid Archon Guide

you can stand in molten fire easily with LS, the only thing it can't out-heal is the centre of an arcane beam since you take every hit.
Reply Quote
@Notrius

Your EHP is a little low, and that Andy helm doesn't really help out that area. You're right on the 35k health, i was a bit nervous when I dropped to 38k health when I switched my Witching Hours, but honestly I can't tell a difference. With the new patch, I think a lot of people are going to be removing their exp gems and placing a life rune in there.

I don't have any other option unfortunately, there is nothing beside mempo and andy to give u cc, as, ar, high int and mempo's socket. Mempo's +xy life will do the trick for me and i plan to stack more AR (784 unbuff atm).
Reply Quote
@Shenko
Thanks buddy! Its called standing back and shooting. :) Just tried not to get I to the fray is all.
My current weapon (1086dps, 2.9%ls, socket) I bought for 700k. Somebody didn't know how to price things obviously.
Good advice on the 90cd weapon, I'll keep an eye out, since my gem is only 90 anyway.
Reply Quote
@Shenko
Thanks buddy! Its called standing back and shooting. :) Just tried not to get I to the fray is all.
My current weapon (1086dps, 2.9%ls, socket) I bought for 700k. Somebody didn't know how to price things obviously.
Good advice on the 90cd weapon, I'll keep an eye out, since my gem is only 90 anyway.

You are *so* lucky. I just looked. I can't find anything with LS that either worth buying or cost hundreds of million. But even if i find one, i probably will keep my current weapon for swap .. since anything i can afford probably will mean a big dps hit.
Reply Quote
chucky archon refresh build works better, IMHO
Reply Quote
@ Chucky Archon Build/DeathAxe comment

I am a bit confused on this build and hear me out on it.....

The build is requiring Archon users to get to the 2.74 breakpoint CM users need to make WW tick CM. This is well and dandy, but what is your DPS loss in trying to get to that IAS breakpoint? Even the most elite(Shandlar) has 215k dps with the most godly gear a CM can have. So buffed with blood magic/sparkflint running mp 8-10 he'd be pushing 300k buffed. He would easily be able to run this build yes...but that is him and he is not you....or me.

The normal CM has about 150-175k DPS and not the migration a person like Shandlar has. This build running the skill Minstrel Breeze which unlike Wicked Wind varies on how effective it can be since the tornado's have no set path in which they attack.

Yes, I don't doubt that the refresh on that build works better than the hybrid Archon with just LL, but I think the build that I have been running(True Hybrid) basically matches what that build can do, but with higher damage output and a better Archon in general.....quality not quantity.

As I see it the requirements that I posted are pretty much spot on with allowing people to farm the respective areas I suggest. That chucky build, while most likely solid at the lower tier MP levels just doesn't seem it would cut it at the higher MP levels due to the randomness of those tornado's.

The True Hybrid Build I speak of for higher tier MP levels:

Living Lightning
Wicked Wind
Sparkflint
Pinpoint
Blood Magic
Improved Archon

Critical Mass
Arcane Dynamo

3rd passive can be a few

Blur
Cold Blooded (When running with Scoundrel or CM)
Evocation

I can run this on easy mode mp 7-8.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/17/2013 5:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
@ Schenko

Curious if you find LL + WW to be a faster refresh than WW + Deep Freeze? When I tried LL + WW i found that trying to spam both just slowed each of them down to the point of inefficiency. LL + Deep Freeze or WW + Deep Freeze refreshes faster for me. I will do some more testing.
Reply Quote
There is no doubt that Deep Freeze really helps out with the cooldown yes. I think it is the best path to go. The problem is finding those group of 5 without running DS to go with Nova. The issue is, farming mp 8-10 is not an ideal place to farm(at least to me) Mp 7 I can cut down monsters while running a crazy build emphasizing large DPS. Mp 8 starts getting a little bit harder to accomplish that. But, if I did.....on Mp 8-10 yes, I would run:

LL
Crystal Sheel/Diamond Shards
Deep Freeze
Pinpoint or Prismatic
Blood magic
Improved Archon

(Same passives as before)

Your CC is a bit low though at 38.5%. I think you'd see the benefit of LL/WW combo with about 45% with 2.00 IAS. Do you notice a difference say when you run pinpoint to get 43.5% compared to running at 38.5%?
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/17/2013 6:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
There is no doubt that Deep Freeze really helps out with the cooldown yes. I think it is the best path to go. The problem is finding those group of 5 without running DS to go with Nova. The issue is, farming mp 8-10 is not an ideal place to farm(at least to me) Mp 7 I can cut down monsters while running a crazy build emphasizing large DPS. Mp 8 starts getting a little bit harder to accomplish that. But, if I did.....on Mp 8-10 yes, I would run:

LL
Crystal Sheel/Diamond Shards
Deep Freeze
Pinpoint or Prismatic
Blood magic
Improved Archon

(Same passives as before)

Your CC is a bit low though at 38.5%. I think you'd see the benefit of LL/WW combo with about 45% with 2.00 IAS. Do you notice a difference say when you run pinpoint to get 43.5% compared to running at 38.5%?

My CC on paper is low, but i never actually run at 38.5%. When I speed farm low MP with Tele/Scramble I'm at 41.5% but never lose Archon so resetting isn't even a factor. With Soundrel and Pinpoint I am always at 46.5%, Deep Freeze bumps me to 61.5% and my Archon is reset in ~7 seconds or less.

The highest MP I've tried was MP7 and it was fine, no real issues, other than slightly slower than doing MP6, which I farm regularly. I decided to stack armor and sacrifice a bit of AS/CC for more EHP so I could run MP6/7 with Glass Cannon, and it is working well. I have 8182 Armor and 840-890 All Res in Archon form.

I think the big problem with LL + WW for me is low attack speed at 1.8, it is much slower for me, and also without Shell or Freeze more dangerous. When LL gets it's DMG buff it should be better as it will bring more life back.

I do need some more upgrades still, Tal's chest with AR, Pox with AS, etc... always a work in progress. When i get a couple more pieces to bump me over 2.0 I will try LL + WW again.
Reply Quote
I wonder if we can get a bit more comments about using LL vs energy twister as the archon refresher. I did some test this morning.

The premise, of course, is still a build that does not need any APOC. In that regard, i try to use:
mistrial breeze (20 AP instead of 35 for ET)
storm armor power of the storm (3 AP less)
diamond skin prism (7 AP less)

and use only ET to refresh archon, without LL.

If DS prism is on, ET costs 10AP .. which makes it very cheap to cast. Even at 17, you can cast quite a few before running out of AP. And since DS will be refreshed quite fast, you are probably more likely in the 10AP situation.

And the point is this. This is not a CM perma-freeze build, so you don't need to cast ET forever. All you need is to cast enough to refresh archon. And that, in my limited testing, is very likely, particularly in places like Keep 1,2 or 3 where mob density is very high.

The trade-off is to lose a bit of defense because of using storm armor and prism.

Any comments of thoughts?
Edited by Narius#1176 on 1/17/2013 1:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think that the tradeoff just isn't worth + LL will be buffed. I remember trying ww to reset archon and without apoc it wasn't just that effective, i ran out of AP all the time.
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 01:25 PMPosted by Notrius
I think that the tradeoff just isn't worth + LL will be buffed. I remember trying ww to reset archon and without apoc it wasn't just that effective, i ran out of AP all the time.

Have you tried to use Power of the Storm, Mistral Breeze, and Prism to reduce the cost. I found that make a HUGE difference (30 AP vs 10 AP .. you can put out 3 times more ET).

Sure, LL is going to be buffed ... and i am sure i will go back to LL for a more defensive build. But i think it is a worthwhile variant, not because ET does more dmage, but because it reset archon faster.
Reply Quote

And the point is this. This is not a CM perma-freeze build, so you don't need to cast ET forever. All you need is to cast enough to refresh archon. And that, in my limited testing, is very likely, particularly in places like Keep 1,2 or 3 where mob density is very high.

The trade-off is to lose a bit of defense because of using storm armor and prism.

That is why at the moment I prefer running with 10 apoc and WW. Sacrificing any skill that will help improve Archon just to be able to be in Archon is not worth it when you can gear for it with a single item (I use storm crow, but apoc on trium is also viable). Using more than 2 skills to refresh Archon is a waste of a skill slot IMO.

So with APOC, Deep Freeze + WW, or LL + WW
Without APOC, Deep Freeze + LL or LL + WW, or DS + LL if you prefer but it is much slower

Once I get over 2.0 aps I will try LL + WW and if it beats out Freeze + WW I will switch to that since you dont need APOC and can gain much more EHP with a Mempo.
Edited by couchy#1938 on 1/17/2013 2:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
No i haven't tried it i used only ww due to ticks + fn. I have some apoc gear i use for meteor build but it's always a huge dps downgrade.
Edited by Notrius#6498 on 1/17/2013 2:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 02:10 PMPosted by Notrius
No i haven't tried it i used only ww due to ticks + fn. I have some apoc gear i use for meteor build but it's always a huge dps downgrade.

I went from using an almost identical Andariels that you are wearning, to my current Storm Crow and lost 7-8k dps, however my EHP went up, gained the APOC, gained the LOH and also 4% increased damage to Elites. It's a tradeoff I find worth the DPS loss.
Reply Quote

That is why at the moment I prefer running with 10 apoc and WW. Sacrificing any skill that will help improve Archon just to be able to be in Archon is not worth it when you can gear for it with a single item (I use storm crow, but apoc on trium is also viable). Using more than 2 skills to refresh Archon is a waste of a skill slot IMO.

So with APOC, Deep Freeze + WW, or LL + WW
Without APOC, Deep Freeze + LL or LL + WW, or DS + LL if you prefer but it is much slower

Once I get over 2.0 aps I will try LL + WW and if it beats out Freeze + WW I will switch to that since you dont need APOC and can gain much more EHP with a Mempo.

I do have a stormcrow .. but that is a 13k dps drop.

Without APOC, if you run with DS prism and Power of the Storm, and Mistral Breeze, there is no sacrifice of slots. It is only a minor sacrifice with different runes. prism lower defense out of archon and won't impact archon at all. Power of the storm lower dps slightly (compared to shocking aspect) but the drop is much less than the dps drop if i have to switch to a storm crow.

So i think it really depends ... a limited mistral breeze as refresher may be viable in a hybrid archon build without any APOC gear.
Reply Quote

Without APOC, if you run with DS prism and Power of the Storm, and Mistral Breeze, there is no sacrifice of slots. It is only a minor sacrifice with different runes. prism lower defense out of archon and won't impact archon at all. Power of the storm lower dps slightly (compared to shocking aspect) but the drop is much less than the dps drop if i have to switch to a storm crow.

So i think it really depends ... a limited mistral breeze as refresher may be viable in a hybrid archon build without any APOC gear.

Totally, the only problem is on higher MP where you need the extra armor from Energy Armor to mitigate the increase in enemy damage. I'd say your idea is completely viable for MP4-6 depending on your EHP.
Reply Quote

I went from using an almost identical Andariels that you are wearning, to my current Storm Crow and lost 7-8k dps, however my EHP went up, gained the APOC, gained the LOH and also 4% increased damage to Elites. It's a tradeoff I find worth the DPS loss.

I have an identical stormcrow like you so i know the trade-off. The only problem why i'm stuck with Andy's is (beside AR) the 9% attack speed. I like to have high AS because LL profits from it. Every 0.1+ is noticeable when resetting archon.

What we could try and what i do with meteor build (because 18 apoc just isn't enough) is to use prodigy but that means ll+ww combo and sacrificing one other skill.

Btw LOH works great with LL.
Reply Quote

I have an identical stormcrow like you so i know the trade-off. The only problem why i'm stuck with Andy's is (beside AR) the 9% attack speed. I like to have high AS because LL profits from it. Every 0.1+ is noticeable when resetting archon.

What we could try and what i do with meteor build (because 18 apoc just isn't enough) is to use prodigy but that means ll+ww combo and sacrificing one other skill.

Btw LOH works great with LL.

AS is definitely key to resetting Archon faster. I lost 9% going to Storm Crow, but gained 10 APOC allowing me to spam WW and resetting it faster than with LL and the 9%AS.

The LOH is why I can get my Deep Freeze off without using a skill slot on Diamond Skin. Before i switched to Storm Crow I was using Healing Blades instead of LL.
Reply Quote

Totally, the only problem is on higher MP where you need the extra armor from Energy Armor to mitigate the increase in enemy damage. I'd say your idea is completely viable for MP4-6 depending on your EHP.

I also tried using energy armor pinpoint. That works as well in MP6. The reason is that Prism lower the ET cost by & and that is quite enough. Power of the storm is only a small 3 AP reduction.

What i am really struggle with, is the lack of LS though. LoH don't work with archon, right? When i do MP6 .. most of the run will be super fast and smooth .. until i hit a RD mob. Then i have to kite around, use DS to absorb the damage and what-not.

I also has a very bad <800dps LS weapon ... using that lose like more than 50% of my DPS.

Has anyone tried RD mobs in PTR? I wonder if RD pulse off enough to use my regular archon DPS on it. I can do quite well against all other mobs (at worse move a little to reposition from fire on the ground or what-not) with just blood magic. I hope that may work after 1.07.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]