Diablo® III

Hybrid Archon Guide

Back at it, was able to craft me some GG bracers last night to help motivate me to return.

XP is flying by at level 90.......

Shock Pulse Dmg upgrade seems to be perfect on the little downtime we have.

grats Schenko7.. thats a great bracer! Tough crafting luck for me though :\

Thanks man, you'll get one.

Right now, I am trying to roll GG shoulders....best pair I have is in my profile. They're pretty bad outside of the intel/life%.

Looking for

High STR or Armor
300 Intel
90-100 Vit
70 AR

I'll be happy with that

Huge potential on Shoulders/Bracers

Gloves are potential too, but a lot of varying factors in that roll.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 2/14/2013 8:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
I just saw on another thread that Unstable Anomaly can be really useful. Instance 45% more health .. and presumably good against RD mobs even if you make a mistake.

I think i will try that out when i go home today. One less reason to use LS weapon :P I probably need to give up cold blooded for it though.
Reply Quote
I just saw on another thread that Unstable Anomaly can be really useful. Instance 45% more health .. and presumably good against RD mobs even if you make a mistake.

I think i will try that out when i go home today. One less reason to use LS weapon :P I probably need to give up cold blooded for it though.

I'd give up Glass Cannon before cold blooded, especially without LS. 20% dmg vs 15% and EHP loss.
Reply Quote
I ran with UA today and last night. The runs are much better. I can be a little more reckless, and it also saves me in death previously i probably can't avoid (vortex + some bad stuff particularly).

Couchy, i think dropping glass cannon instead of cold blooded may be a good idea. I will try that now.
Reply Quote
Some upgrades again...able to run MP7 without issues (well, as discussed some of the bad combo elites). Much prefer to use Deep Freeze vs. WW. I have better survivability and able to get archon back MUCH faster, especially when running with my monk friend.
Reply Quote
got my dps to 291k unbuffed, 47 CC and 2.09 APS, doing much better now :P now I just have to somehow claw back another 100vit ;x
Reply Quote
Hi all,
This guide has been extremely useful for me. I wanted to add a note about playing in groups. The beauty of this build is that by adjusting skills slightly it becomes extremely flexible, so you can serve many different functions depending on your group.

For higher-mp games (group), I go with improved archon, pinpoint, blood weapon, and glass cannon or blur depending on the party. With freeze-lock capability, ls, and decent ehp, it's extremely hard to kill a hybrid archon.

For low mp (solo), I go with teleport archon, pinpoint or scramble, force weapon, and gc.

Low mp group games don't work. Not enough archon food, and you can't cool down archon fast enough.

EDIT: btw,any suggestions on upgrades would be awesome. Looking at cc mempo and tal's chest with high res, but d3up.com says I should be collecting %life. Thoughts?
Edited by Aspera#1631 on 2/19/2013 11:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
I also find hybrid archon quite group friendly. As archon, you tank and have a huge dps, when out of archon, you freeze for the group. Usable both ways.
Reply Quote
I got lucky and got two crafting upgrades today .. pushing buffed dps to 375k .. i found farming MP6 is quite quick now.

I am wondering if i should move up to MP7 for daily farming.

I haven't really tried many group games. Do you guys think that it is more efficient in terms of farming than solo games?

I will probably try some just for the fun. I usually don't use frost nova when solo, so my playstyle would change a bit if i have to use that in group games.
Reply Quote
No, group play is NOT efficient for this build - just fun!

The problem is that if the build is viable at all, your dps will dwarf the rest of your party's, and in that case you're way better off running solo at that mp. The exception is bosses, because this build's weakness is single strong enemies: can't freeze lock, can't get archon back.

That said, you'll be very *useful* to a party, so it's possible it will be more efficient for them to run with you.
Reply Quote
Aspera, that is a good point.

Hence, i am still running mostly solo. However, i do think that it may be fun to run some group runs, and may do a bit of that.
Reply Quote
Hi there,

Is this guide intended to be based on most stat requirements for each MP to make it viable?

What I mean by that is, for example you say 280k DPS unbuffed can do MP8+ with Improved Archon, but I have about 320k DPS unbuffed, and tried Improved Archon with BloodMagic/Sparkflint (got to about 430k DPS) and still thought MP7 was quite slow and difficult.

Maybe im playing it wrong?

My aim is to XP farm so not sure what DPS/EHP I need to be at to make MP7 the go-to level for maximum efficiency. THis is of course assuming MP7 is the optimal level for XP farming once you get the stat requirements.
Reply Quote
Aspera, nicely said.

Yes , archon is *very* usable for the group - especially now when so many undergeared players join MP4+ public games and can't handle the increased difficulty with 4 players. I often kill 50% of all mobs/elites for the group and if not in archon, freeze for them.

But the fact is, that i'm more effective when playing solo.

Btw you can freeze even single enemies if you have enough ar/armor/as and have ideally a ls/loh combo to get your life back. The only problematic ones to freeze are fast elites shooting from distance.
Reply Quote
The unstable anomaly passive is very handy indeed, hats off to whoever first brought it up :D
Saves me from that 1 or 2 near death moments and the pain of walking all the way back...
Reply Quote
Playing multiplayer with my monk friend has brought me to try out a new passive: Paralysis.
We were doing an uber run, and with his Cyclones spinning off, I thought the lightning passive might come in handy. So we tried it.
I am happy to report that this was very effective on single monsters while out of archon! What was better was how over powered it was with LL slowed in Zoltan Kulle's time bubbles. Between my frost nova and the stun effect on paralysis, we were able to stun lock both Kulle and SB.
Give it a shot, I quite enjoyed it with my LL.
Edited by Stratos#1840 on 2/20/2013 11:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hi there,

Is this guide intended to be based on most stat requirements for each MP to make it viable?

What I mean by that is, for example you say 280k DPS unbuffed can do MP8+ with Improved Archon, but I have about 320k DPS unbuffed, and tried Improved Archon with BloodMagic/Sparkflint (got to about 430k DPS) and still thought MP7 was quite slow and difficult.

Maybe im playing it wrong?

My aim is to XP farm so not sure what DPS/EHP I need to be at to make MP7 the go-to level for maximum efficiency. THis is of course assuming MP7 is the optimal level for XP farming once you get the stat requirements.

hmm .. may be it is because of play style? Are you doing perma-archon in lower MP level before? The point of this build is to refresh archon fast and certainly you are not killing elite/champ in a split second like doing xp farming in lower MP. Some kiting and strategy may be needed.

Personally i do MP7 farming loot/DE with lower DPS than you do (only 376k buffed). Here is what i found:
1) in general, normal mobs just die very fast .. even if this is a little bit slower than say MP6, you can't tell the different much.
2) champ & elite usually take a little while. It is possible to have archon dropped off before you can kill them if you don't have a lot of clock-time left. However, in general, there is no problem killing them, except with very unlucky affix combo in bad terrain. (For example, keeps are easy because you can use the doorway to avoid vortex).
3) RD mob is the most trouble. I, in general, run two versions of hybrid archon depending on my mood. If i run with LL, then i have to kill them when their shields are down. That will take longer, with more risk, and sometimes i will skip them. If i run with healing blades, then i just drop out of archon and kill them with it.

I found MP7 to be a bit more challenging them MP6 but with unstable anomaly, dying is not that difficult to avoid, particularly in easy levels like Keeps.
Reply Quote
Playing multiplayer with my monk friend has brought me to try out a new passive: Paralysis.
We were doing an uber run, and with his Cyclones spinning off, I thought the lightning passive might come in handy. So we tried it.
I am happy to report that this was very effective on single monsters while out of archon! What was better was how over powered it was with LL slowed in Zoltan Kulle's time bubbles. Between my frost nova and the stun effect on paralysis, we were able to stun lock both Kulle and SB.
Give it a shot, I quite enjoyed it with my LL.

LL with stun is an interesting idea. I will try it tonight. It may even work well in solo since LL hit so many times.
Reply Quote
actually for groups, just get a aPoc triumvirate, use WW to refresh.
Living Lightning is a pain to use,the box size is too small plus it does lousy dmge even with the recent buff PLUS you have to spam it alot more than WW to refresh.
Reply Quote
actually for groups, just get a aPoc triumvirate, use WW to refresh.
Living Lightning is a pain to use,the box size is too small plus it does lousy dmge even with the recent buff PLUS you have to spam it alot more than WW to refresh.

In addition, you can run with prism or even power of the storm to further reduce AP cost of WW. Or you can run with Mistral Breeze instead of WW.
Reply Quote
i kinda like the use of spectral blade -deep cuts , evocation passive and archon with pure power. you got like 85 secs cd in archon... with CM proccing archon beam at some times my archon refreshes at that 15 sec archon mark just by shooting beams on large packs even if i havent killed anything
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]