Diablo® III

Hybrid Archon Guide

Great work Schenko. My only request is to make some sort of comment in your OP about how IAS is pretty important for LL to refresh Archon effectively.

It may have already been said but i didnt read through all 7 pages :)

I found that right now (I'm at about 1.95 AS) and with LL dont refresh archon all that efficiently (decent, but not great in low mob density) but previously when I was more like 2.3 or so, LL was a beast at resetting archon

*Dont mind my profile, I was trying out WW w/ storm crow. I will say that with 2.0 AS or less, i find archon refreshing faster with WW than with LL.

I dont recall how quick UBR's bosses refreshed with LL, but with WW/stormcrow its refreshing pretty quick.

I am however very annoyed by the AP draining of WW and it makes popping archon slower since many times AP is out and have to wait for it to refresh...that delay has made for a few close calls thats for sure.

Net - I think i'll get more IAS gear back and get back to a 2.2-2.3 AS w/ LL build.
Reply Quote
Min requirements and max requirements both suggest aiming for 2.00 IAS(in the guide itself)

I currently have 2.36 w/ 47% crit chance and it feels godly.

As for Uber fights I still run with:

LL
Improved Archon
Wicked Wind
Crystal Shell
Prismatic
Blood Magic

Arcane Dynamo
Blur
Critical Mass

MP 10 easy mode with the second set of requirements to run this build.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/4/2013 12:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 06:24 AMPosted by Schenko7
Somehow, I just don't believe you're telling the truth. Under 30k health/little to zero AR/and sub 129k unbuffed dps. For your pleasure, I decided to load you up on D3up.com......

Like it or not, its true and there is no reason for me to prove myself to anyone. Keep in mind that people can change items and builds throughout the day and the one you see in profiles might not be the one people are discussing.

Also a website can NOT tell you the skill level of the player and how quick their reactions to different situations may be, only their numbers. So just because you cannot do something yourself does not mean that someone else cant.

BTW, I do not really get mad, I am just stating facts.
Reply Quote

[quote]I am glad i found this thread. I am running a build very similar to this, without FN, and i mostly do MP5.

I think i will go try using FN, and also Arcane Dynamo. Certainly it is good to know that an archon build can be viable at high MP. I am in the process of saving up for a 1H weapon upgrade.

I wonder how LS is essential to the build. I ran with blood magic, without LS, and it is fine (even with glass cannon on) except for RD mobs. For RD mobs, i can beam that a little and use orbs/portion to heal myself, or i can use DS, and LL them slowly. (Also, i use storm armor .. and that can damage RD mobs without damaging you).

Given that RD is going to be nerfed, i wonder if it is worthwhile to buy into LS now.

I am glad you chose to find this thread......

I tried to go the SNS route and found it was silly and boring. Though it is legit and totally viable, I just found that this is truly the end game build for Wizards(in my opinion).

I would not technically rule on what they are going to do with reflect mobs....it could just be a minor change. I personally enjoy my life leech on weapon/blood magic because in Archon you are able to recover health almost too quickly.

I am also wonder why you don't think LS is essential? What MP are you running? If we are talking MP 6 and below...yeah you can get away with using LS on just a weapon or usually just blood magic if you want to go for pure DPS weapon.

I am running mostly MP5. I just got a wand/tri offhand upgrade, and trying MP6 too. Obviously weapon with LS is very expensive. I know that LS is obviously desirable .. but i am not very willing to give up DPS for it.

Is it a must for MP7+, and i can't just run with blood magic? It is probably very expensive to get a LS weapon with the same DPS i have now.

BTW, how essentially is FN to the build? My IAS is still a bit low (only 1.94) so it is a bit safer to do LL at a small range rather than right at the mob. I probably need to up my IAS more first.
Edited by Narius#1176 on 1/4/2013 9:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
LS for archon is not a must unlike a lot of archon people say. I've leveled most of 100 paragon without LS weapon for super fast exp grinding. Archon is all about low mp grinding anyways. If you go mp 5 or higher then I would lean towards having LS weapon. Even then if you have tons of dps and good ehp it's still doable without LS thanks to blood magic.
Reply Quote
you need to be tanky for this build.
i have 1080 resist with archon and prismatic and no GC.
gotta say, the -10% resist and armor from GC really does matter.
Lived with like 1 hp because of the extra resist and armor from not getting GC enabled me to stay in archon and life steal back to full within a second then killing the elite.
very nice build, i was stuck in mp5 farming till i copied your build.
without upgrading gears, i was able to farm mp7.
Edited by Magician#1838 on 1/5/2013 12:02 AM PST
Reply Quote

I'm slightly shy on res, but only by about 30. My DPS is low, which is why I was looking for specs based on my budget as per above. I did buy a Triumvirate, so budget is 5 mil less.

Everything else is at par for the build I believe.

Sorry for the late response, but how are you faring?

I am getting better, and have saved up quite a bit of change (48 million), but just can't seem to get a decent upgrade to crack that 200k dps. All my other stats are good at this point based on your original guide.
Check out my char, and let me know what you think I should either invest in, or continue saving toward. (I was looking into a Zuni ring with crit, and Tal's ammy is 2 million more than my budget - on the low end).

Also, is there a way where when something new is posted in this forum that I get a notification or e-mail or something?
Edited by Stratos#1840 on 1/6/2013 2:17 PM PST
Reply Quote

I am getting better, and have saved up quite a bit of change (48 million), but just can't seem to get a decent upgrade to crack that 200k dps. All my other stats are good at this point based on your original guide.
Check out my char, and let me know what you think I should either invest in, or continue saving toward. (I was looking into a Zuni ring with crit, and Tal's ammy is 2 million more than my budget - on the low end).

Also, is there a way where when something new is posted in this forum that I get a notification or e-mail or something?

What MP are you usually doing?

Also, i would like to see some comments about at what ias, and DPS .. this build can do what level of MP.

I am roughly 240k dps (no glass canon but with sparkflint & magic weapon blood magic) and 1.9x attack speed. MP5 is easy .. MP6 is doable but can be slow. I am also testing between storm armor and energy armor. Storm armor kill a lot faster .. but energy armor make it much easier. It is a toss up with RD mobs. storm armor is killing RD mobs without damaging me, but energy armor makes it possible to use archon against them (i still lose life slowly .. but managable).
Reply Quote
I would like to try to run MP5 or greater, my DPS in Archon can kill trash mobs with little difficulty, but I wind up losing archon too frequently. Survivability is okay, but Fire Chains kill me everytime...not sure what it is.
Edited by Stratos#1840 on 1/6/2013 8:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
@McSwagger

Good run with you the other night, I think you know what gear/dps you need to gear towards now. Mp 10 was very efficient with two Archon Hybrids.

@Narius

The IAS requirements really is simple. You want to shoot for over 2.00 to do the higher Mp levels. I think at times, crit chance is far more important in this build. Having over 45% seems to be the sweet spot. Hit that 2.00 mark, and anything after that is just gravy. Over 2.00, and with the rest of the mp 8-10 requirements and you'll be uber ready for mp 10.

Why haven't you grabbed yourself a pox yet? That extra 130 intelligence can work magic. Plus get one with 7-9% IAS and that'll get you past 2.00.

@Stratos

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/stratos-1840/TIM/26959135

I took the pleasure of loading you up on that website to view your character:

Decent EHP mark which tells me your migration during Archon should be pretty efficient.
DPS lacks a lot...try upgading rings/ammy. Even a lower end tal's chest with AR would be pretty decent for DPS standpoint.
Lacking a lot of intelligence.....though it may not seem important, but every 10 points nets you 1 AR.
To run this build efficient/effective past mp 5....you really need to have 175-200k minimal.

You note that firechains is a large issue for you. I'd try to pop in archon and go to a corner so the chains cannot get you there. Usually you can do this with great success against chains. Find a chest and sort of hide behind/next to it.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/6/2013 9:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
To anyone attempting to run this build. I will tell you that once you get to about 300k unbuffed dps....grab a CM wiz and do MP 10. It feels like mp 5. You can slack a little and not bring nova or crystal shell and throw in sparkflint for extra damage. Make sure to get 5 stacks of Dynamo and let your beam do all the work.
Reply Quote
Made some progress, spent some coin, bought some gloves to increase my all resists after dropping Zuni armor for Tal's. Bought Tal's ammy with crit chance. Still not enough DPS, and I am now low on the resists end of things...

Thanks for the Fire Chains suggestion, but it didn't help me when the pack had frozen and vortex...grrr...better next time, I'm sure of it.

Going to try to farm MP3 with current stats, and see how that runs.

By all means, any other suggestions from anyone is welcome. If anyone wants to play sometime, I'm open to that as well.
Reply Quote
Sure Stratos, I'll run with you and show you how I handle things. We will do mp 6-7 just so you can get a feel and not fee overwhelmed on 8-10.

If you're comfortable there we can then progress higher.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/8/2013 6:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
I still like Living Lightning as a "backup plan" but Wicked Wind is just too good. I keep a crit stormcrow in my stash for when I want to run high MP or ubers. Furthers the hybrid concept even more if you use shocking aspect.

LL is just too slow and melee-ish for my tastes, and is especially bad in co-op where you might have teammates fearing or knockbacking mobs out of your range constantly. It's also much easier to maintain perma-stutter against small groups or single targets w/ WW, which provides a nice benefit to groups while you're re-upping Archon.
Reply Quote
Lately, and on ubers Mp 10. I run with both LL and WW. I can usually get up 5-7 Archons in each with full stacked Arcane Dynamo with my 330k dmg with just blood magic working.

I actually feel LL is more beneficial in co-op as the monster's health have increased which all you to have the full benefits of the procs LL provides.

I've been told that this build if geared correctly is the best build people have seen, the issue is trying to get it out there past all the CM glory.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/8/2013 6:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Schenko7

Have to give a shout out to this build. Tried for the first time yesterday and had a lot of fun. At the least, it's a good change up to the mindless farming mp3, when you actually have to strategize a little bit before you just go killin stuff.

On MP3, I farm with 440K DPS, but with prismatic and no glass cannon I go down to 380ish, which I found worked the best at MP7.

Also did MP10 ubers last night, and worked well.

My three passives for ubers were CM, Arcane Dynamo, and Cold Blooded. Cold blooded is incredibly useful when you are farming/ubering with a traditional cm/ww wiz.
Reply Quote
First thank you, if it wasn't for people like yourself replying to my thread then my thoughts/ideas would be nothing.

Prismatic is a must on mp 7-10 unless you truly have godly gear. Which many people do these days.

I am curious how you're handling the higher mp levels w/o a LS weapon?

I will look into the Cold Blooded passive the next time I do my ubers......I typically run with a CM wiz, so you may have something there.
Reply Quote
01/08/2013 07:27 AMPosted by Schenko7

I use blood magic (1.5% LS) and I have 2700 life-on-kill on my amulet, which obviously helps more on lower mp levels then higher mps, but is none-the-less incredibly useful even on MP8/9. For example, when fighting RD elites, I try to have a few mobs around to blast when my life goes down.

But otherwise, I think I have 7150 Armor and 1000+ AR when in Archon mode, and I find that 1.5% is enough for me, especially when RD gets fixed. (cannot come soon enough!) If I did own a high damage lifesteal weapon, I would sell it now, just cuz I believe the value will go down a little when RD gets nerfed.

01/08/2013 07:27 AMPosted by Schenko7
I will look into the Cold Blooded passive the next time I do my ubers......I typically run with a CM wiz, so you may have something there.

I will always run cold-blooded with a cm/ww, whether farming or ubers. However, I've also noticed its highly beneficial when using a scoundrel with buriza. Obviously, the scoundrel doesn't "chill" everything, but when you get down to those pesky elites they are always chilled and it definitely helps. Not required though.

My Passives for Ubers
Arcane Dynamo
Cold Blooded
Critical Mass

My Passives for Farming
Critical Mass
Cold Blooded (If w/ CM/WW wiz or sometimes solo with scoundrel)
Evocation
(Sometimes, I substitute glass cannon for cold blooded if running MP7 with monk, for example, who doesnt chill things, and prevents me from using scoundrel chill)
Edited by James1v12#1875 on 1/8/2013 10:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
I am happy to see that it is possible to do high MP without RD. I also agree that when RD is fixed, everything is going to be peachy and it does not make sense to buy a LS weapon now.

I am no where as gear as you though. It will take me a while to get up to farm MP 8-9.

Right now, MP5 is comfortable. MP6 is doable (preferably in Act 3).

BTW, why don't you use storm armor? I found that SA is very useful against RD mobs because the lightning does not damage your character. So if i am low in hp, i just run cycles and let SA takes the mob out.

01/08/2013 10:37 AMPosted by James1v12

I use blood magic (1.5% LS) and I have 2700 life-on-kill on my amulet, which obviously helps more on lower mp levels then higher mps, but is none-the-less incredibly useful even on MP8/9. For example, when fighting RD elites, I try to have a few mobs around to blast when my life goes down.

But otherwise, I think I have 7150 Armor and 1000+ AR when in Archon mode, and I find that 1.5% is enough for me, especially when RD gets fixed. (cannot come soon enough!) If I did own a high damage lifesteal weapon, I would sell it now, just cuz I believe the value will go down a little when RD gets nerfed.

I will always run cold-blooded with a cm/ww, whether farming or ubers. However, I've also noticed its highly beneficial when using a scoundrel with buriza. Obviously, the scoundrel doesn't "chill" everything, but when you get down to those pesky elites they are always chilled and it definitely helps. Not required though.

My Passives for Ubers
Arcane Dynamo
Cold Blooded
Critical Mass

My Passives for Farming
Critical Mass
Cold Blooded (If w/ CM/WW wiz or sometimes solo with scoundrel)
Evocation
(Sometimes, I substitute glass cannon for cold blooded if running MP7 with monk, for example, who doesnt chill things, and prevents me from using scoundrel chill)
Reply Quote
Kind of off topic but I tried a variation using healing blades with wicked wind, and no LL or FN, and it is pretty nice. Not as fast to refresh the cooldown but you do WAY more damage with blades, and the lifesteal works wonders on RD mobs.

Also for those using scoundrel with buriza and cold blooded, use Hysteria instead of Anatomy. It makes a huge difference on higher MP levels where more DPS is required.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]