Diablo® III

Hybrid Archon Guide

Ok, next upgrade should be my rings. Which one and with what stats?
Reply Quote
Both of your rings need to be upgraded.

Your left ring offers max crit and decent crit dmg, but you don't have anything else on it.

You can get AR on a ring or even average damage/intel that would help you out immensely.

Pox ring, really should try to get either IAS or CC on it. Going to cost you a bit, IAS rings are generally cheaper, don't settle for anything less than 8% IAS or 4.5% CC though.

You have slowly developed a decent character, keep it up my friend.

diabloprogress item section is a great way to compare items and look for specific items beneficial to you, not only from a DPS standpoint, but EHP as well.

I would start with replacing your left ring. Your right ring has a lot of your health tied to it.

You may want to try to get IAS to get your base attack speed over 2.00, once you get there, it'll be very helpful in refreshing Archon back.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/10/2013 7:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
Added Cold Blooded to optional passives per James1v12 suggestion.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/10/2013 8:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
To James:

buriza is really a great idea. I never thought of checking <60 legendaries. Let me see if i can find one after work tonight. Hopefully it is not catching on yet, and not too expensive.

To couchy:

How fast is healing blades refreshing archon compared to LL? may be i should try that too. Hopefully RD is going to be nerfed in 1.07 and the LS is not as important and blood magic will suffice.

To schenko7:

It is pretty hard for me to find good upgrades now. I know a pox will be good .. but finding one that is not a dps downgrade will be very expensive. You note that i am wearing a zuni chest .. so i am already getting the 130 INT set bonus.

All possible upgrades, unless going into hundreds of millions of golds, have issues. I can up my DPS by:
1) a lacuni -> means huge EHP downgrade
2) a tal rasha chest -> also huge EHP downgrade
3) going from my current mempo to a Andareil .. i actually already have a pretty good andareil that will boost dps by like 10k+ .. but it will take 1/3 off my EHP.

So my best bet is either probably going for a memp with crit (which is expensive, and i probably want to up AS more than crit at this point), or a tal rasha allegiance. I am already looking everyday but unless i go for the very expensive ones (which is gold i dont have), i am not getting much .. most like like a 5-6k dps increase but some EHP hit because i have quite a bit of vit on my ammy.

Any suggestions?
Edited by Narius#1176 on 1/10/2013 9:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
First, to reply about healing blades. I think it's a decent changeup to throw in for the higher mp levels if you want to deal more damage, but LL recharges Archon back quicker and that is the entire basis of this build.

---------

On to your upgrade question.....

A tal chest will give you a decent size in DPS....switch out your marrow for a tal-chest with 170 int/120 vit/3 sockets/armor or AR. I personally love my chest for the extra healing from globes.....

Then I would focus on that pox ring. Though your rings provide decent amount of crit dmg, you can get a pox ring that will not only raise your DPS by a lot, it'll also give you base AR. Look for IAS 8% or CC 4.5% +.

Your Ias is over 2.00 which is good, but you are lacking the AR department most likely due to that.

Losing out on the Marrow will be negated if you find a decent pox ring/tal chest with even lower AR. Other than that you have solid items.....

Tal Chest
Pox Ring
Mempo w/crit please don't go with the visage....the extra fire damage hurts and by no means worth it. I have a mempo in my stash with 180+ intel/3.5 cc/socket/12% life. I can probably sell it for 300m....I'd sell to you for 235m if you want.
Better Ward

I'd start with that....going to be expensive.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 1/10/2013 9:59 AM PST
Reply Quote

To couchy:

How fast is healing blades refreshing archon compared to LL? may be i should try that too. Hopefully RD is going to be nerfed in 1.07 and the LS is not as important and blood magic will suffice.

It's slower for sure, earlier in this thread I posted a link to a video I made refreshing Archon from full cooldown in 7-8 seconds using LL+Deep Freeze, this variant is more suited to a playstyle that would rather do more DPS while bringing Archon back up. I haven't timed it but I'd say it takes roughly double the amount of time to refresh Archon, if I had to guesstimate.

edit: link to vid, i made it to test how Electrify worked in the setup. Maybe once RD gets nerfed i will go back to using it for better lockdown synergy, although 5%more DPS from Force Weap is probably more important. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQR5UYPc42A&feature=youtu.be
Edited by couchy#1938 on 1/10/2013 10:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
First, to reply about healing blades. I think it's a decent changeup to throw in for the higher mp levels if you want to deal more damage, but LL recharges Archon back quicker and that is the entire basis of this build.

---------

On to your upgrade question.....

A tal chest will give you a decent size in DPS....switch out your marrow for a tal-chest with 170 int/120 vit/3 sockets/armor or AR. I personally love my chest for the extra healing from globes.....

Then I would focus on that pox ring. Though your rings provide decent amount of crit dmg, you can get a pox ring that will not only raise your DPS by a lot, it'll also give you base AR. Look for IAS 8% or CC 4.5% +.

Your Ias is over 2.00 which is good, but you are lacking the AR department most likely due to that.

Losing out on the Marrow will be negated if you find a decent pox ring/tal chest with even lower AR. Other than that you have solid items.....

Tal Chest
Pox Ring
Mempo w/crit please don't go with the visage....the extra fire damage hurts and by no means worth it. I have a mempo in my stash with 180+ intel/3.5 cc/socket/12% life. I can probably sell it for 300m....I'd sell to you for 235m if you want.
Better Ward

I'd start with that....going to be expensive.

Thank you for the suggestion, and the offer. However, i have little gold reserve and probably will see if i can find a pox first, as you have suggested.

Couple of comments. Yeah i know the visage is a bad deal .. otherwise it wouldn't be worth so little even when it is a 10k+ dps upgrade for me.

I think it is a good idea to focus on a pox ring .. even one that is just a dps side grade for the AR. The idea of a dps upgrade for one piece (tal chest), and another piece to compensate the EHP loss is a good one. The other thing is that a pox will let me keep the INT set bonus. If i just do a tal chest, i am gaining little DPS (like 5-6k for those i can afford) because i am going to lose the INT set bonus.

In fact, i did that for the head (from yellow to mempo) and the pants (yellow to inna) to do that before. The inna was a huge DPS upgrade, and huge EHP downgrade, and the mempo restore the EHP.
Reply Quote
Another thing that I lacked to see is you're missing out on the Tal Ammy....you can find cheap ones these days that'll boost your DPS easily.

The Tal Chest/Pox ring combo even for the mediocre range....should net you 10k plus DPS along with EHP gain in a small form.

I'd throw on a Tal Ammy to that list....probably after you get the Tal-Chest/Pox ring.
Reply Quote

To couchy:

It's slower for sure, earlier in this thread I posted a link to a video I made refreshing Archon from full cooldown in 7-8 seconds using LL+Deep Freeze, this variant is more suited to a playstyle that would rather do more DPS while bringing Archon back up. I haven't timed it but I'd say it takes roughly double the amount of time to refresh Archon, if I had to guesstimate.

edit: link to vid, i made it to test how Electrify worked in the setup. Maybe once RD gets nerfed i will go back to using it for better lockdown synergy, although 5%more DPS from Force Weap is probably more important. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQR5UYPc42A&feature=youtu.be

I guess it would depend on how RD is nerfed. Hopefully it will be enough.

BTW, i also found that LL has a bit more flexibility because it is fire-and-forget, and has a longer range. The preferred use, of course, is to stand your ground (DS up) and keep a stream out. However, i found that in case, for example, when archon is down, and i am low in HP, i can still kite a bit with LL to get some CM ticks and damage in.

BTW, i usually don't use FN (LL is quite fast in refreshing archon even without deep freeze) but i suppose i need FN more if i use healing blades.
Reply Quote
Another thing that I lacked to see is you're missing out on the Tal Ammy....you can find cheap ones these days that'll boost your DPS easily.

The Tal Chest/Pox ring combo even for the mediocre range....should net you 10k plus DPS along with EHP gain in a small form.

I'd throw on a Tal Ammy to that list....probably after you get the Tal-Chest/Pox ring.

Yeah .. the tal ammy too. But any that i can afford probably also mean a small cc degrade .. which will affect my CM ticks .. even when the DPS is higher.

Now i just need infinite gold :P
Reply Quote
01/08/2013 06:16 AMPosted by Schenko7
Lately, and on ubers Mp 10. I run with both LL and WW. I can usually get up 5-7 Archons in each with full stacked Arcane Dynamo with my 330k dmg with just blood magic working.

I've always liked Arcane Dynamo and it's definitely not a bad idea for ubers, but I wouldn't give up WW for LL and there's no room on my skill bar for both. I do use it for fun sometimes when I'm running LL, but for high MP or ubers the positioning requirements of LL are too limited for my taste compared to WW. Now if they would make AD last for the entire duration of Archon then I would change my tune for sure. Of course they won't do that even though WW/HotA barbs and snapshot monks do still more DPS anyway :-\

I actually feel LL is more beneficial in co-op as the monster's health have increased which all you to have the full benefits of the procs LL provides.

Like I said, in a world without WW, LL is definitely the best option, and it definitely has some quirks in its favor, but if the ultimate goal is Archon uptime and survival, WW wins almost every time. The only caveat is that you need at least some APoC, which is increasingly uncommon for Archons. I gave up on APoC mid-way through 1.0.4's lifecycle and got by quite well with LL/SC + Prodigy. This still works post-1.0.5, but most people won't want to give up that many skill/passive slots, so it's usually WW or LL. It's all a matter of preference of course, but for higher MP/Ubers I just find it easier to run a crit stormcrow and WW.

I've been told that this build if geared correctly is the best build people have seen, the issue is trying to get it out there past all the CM glory.

"Best" is subjective since a lot of the options vary according to gear or preference, but the core skills - LL+Deep Freeze - are definitely the best options in a world without APoC. Hell, I've been using Deep Freeze since 1.0.3 when it wasn't even really needed b/c of much better ET procs :-P

Totally agree about CMs though. They're great don't get me wrong, but Archon needs some more loving too. On the other hand I really hope they don't nerf CMs again since that almost always ends up being an indirect nerf to Archon as well.

I am curious how you're handling the higher mp levels w/o a LS weapon?

Not sure if this was directed at myself or James, but high DPS + strong mitigation makes Blood Magic alone more than sufficient 95% of the time. The other 5% of course being reflect, which I personally hope is nerfed to the ground. But even if it's not, I refuse to sacrifice tons of DPS or tons of gold for one broken affix.
Edited by sabrewulf#1159 on 1/10/2013 11:05 AM PST
Reply Quote

The preferred use, of course, is to stand your ground (DS up) and keep a stream out. However, i found that in case, for example, when archon is down, and i am low in HP, i can still kite a bit with LL to get some CM ticks and damage in.

BTW, i usually don't use FN (LL is quite fast in refreshing archon even without deep freeze) but i suppose i need FN more if i use healing blades.

I'm not a fan of Crystal Shell in the setup at all. With LL and Deep Freeze, when you proc, you refresh Archon much faster due to more crits from the bonus, plus the mobs stay frozen and you don't get hit. This is shown in my video which I tested in MP10.

With Healing Blades, I was trying to go for a build that didn't use Shell or Nova at all in order to maximize DPS skills for when in Archon form. With Healing Blades and WW going I am trying to stay alive from the lifesteal without protection skills, and refresh Archon's cooldown fast enough to re-pop Archon before I get swarmed. I have a feeling though with WW, you need 2.01 attack speed minimum to reach that breakpoint for CM ticks, making Deep Freeze a viable option if your gear is more crit oriented.
Edited by couchy#1938 on 1/10/2013 11:17 AM PST
Reply Quote

Not sure if this was directed at myself or James, but high DPS + strong mitigation makes Blood Magic alone more than sufficient 95% of the time. The other 5% of course being reflect, which I personally hope is nerfed to the ground. But even if it's not, I refuse to sacrifice tons of DPS or tons of gold for one broken affix.

I totally agree with this. I also refuse to spend lots of gold or sacrifice a lot of dps for just one affix. Using blood magic (which is a 5% dps sacrifice) is ok, but not when i have to go like 10-20% less dps by going to a LS weapon.
Reply Quote

The preferred use, of course, is to stand your ground (DS up) and keep a stream out. However, i found that in case, for example, when archon is down, and i am low in HP, i can still kite a bit with LL to get some CM ticks and damage in.

I'm not a fan of Crystal Shell in the setup at all. With LL and Deep Freeze, when you proc, you refresh Archon much faster due to more crits from the bonus, plus the mobs stay frozen and you don't get hit. This is shown in my video which I tested in MP10.

With Healing Blades, I was trying to go for a build that didn't use Shell or Nova at all in order to maximize DPS skills for when in Archon form. With Healing Blades and WW going I am trying to stay alive from the lifesteal without protection skills, and refresh Archon's cooldown fast enough to re-pop Archon before I get swarmed. I have a feeling though with WW, you need 2.01 attack speed minimum to reach that breakpoint for CM ticks, making Deep Freeze a viable option if your gear is more crit oriented.

Hmm .. the interesting point here is that you don't use DS. I usually ditch FN is because i want sparklint, and can only afford one defensive skill. May be i can try FN instead of DS and see how it works out.

I saw your healing blade build. No DS or FN .. taht is interesting. But you do use WW .. is that a must to up the proc rate of CM? You also run with no APOC, right? I wonder if i can run healing blade without WW, but with DS, or FN. So many things to try. D3 is truly a great game.
Reply Quote
@Shenko

Thanks for the run buddy! I obviously have a lot to work on - and LOTS to save up for. Our run last night makes me consider dumping my barb's and demon hunter's gear to make my Wizard gear more affordable.
Reply Quote

I saw your healing blade build. No DS or FN .. taht is interesting. But you do use WW .. is that a must to up the proc rate of CM? You also run with no APOC, right? I wonder if i can run healing blade without WW, but with DS, or FN. So many things to try. D3 is truly a great game.

Yea I run with no APOC, but WW is my only AP spender. With a wand and trium, I have enough base AP to get 3 WW off right away, then a 4th a moment later. Spamming Blades keeps me alive. Keep in mind you do require good lifesteal and mitigation. I have 3.0LS on my wand, and also have over 6000 armor out of Archon form.

A viable option if you don't have enough mitigation would be to replace WW with FN/Deep Freeze. WW is faster to refresh the cooldown, but I can afford to use it instead of an extra defensive skill. I also like that I can get a few WW off on an elite pack, then pop into Archon and spam Explosions and my beam with WW proccing CM.
Reply Quote

Yea I run with no APOC, but WW is my only AP spender. With a wand and trium, I have enough base AP to get 3 WW off right away, then a 4th a moment later. Spamming Blades keeps me alive. Keep in mind you do require good lifesteal and mitigation. I have 3.0LS on my wand, and also have over 6000 armor out of Archon form.

A viable option if you don't have enough mitigation would be to replace WW with FN/Deep Freeze. WW is faster to refresh the cooldown, but I can afford to use it instead of an extra defensive skill. I also like that I can get a few WW off on an elite pack, then pop into Archon and spam Explosions and my beam with WW proccing CM.

I tried it a bit but went back to LL. healing blades needs to be close to mobs all the time .. while LL can be a bit more flexible in the range. I don't have LS and less mitigation than you .. so that may be the reason.

And i found that i like the playstyle of relying on LL to just refresh archon and go back to archon pronto. I certainly will try again when i get more EHP.
Reply Quote
Yea LL+Deep Freeze is the way to go, I just like trying new stuff out. I played Tele/Scramble for 30 para levels, and a bunch more with LL, so now that I have enough mitigation I don't mind the change in playstyle. Blades cutting through mobs like butter is so much more satisfying than LL, despite being less efficient with procing CM.
Reply Quote
Hopefully they will buff LL when they buff shock pulse in 1.07. That will make this build even better.

And RD is kind of fixed, so i probably don't ever need to get a LS weapon anymore.
Reply Quote
This is my favorite build and now when shock pulse will be buffed, even more. Just a small question guys, how much AS you got with this build? I don't want to drop below 2.2 as i feel AS is important for LL, i usually have 2.38 without Innas (i really want to avoid these pants).

Btw this build enabled me to run efficiently MP3 with just ~200k/750AR archon (efficiently = full alk. run in max 20-25min). Anyone who says you need 300k dps for MP3 just can't play archon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]