Diablo® III

Commas when listing items

(Locked)

Why can we not have this simple thing hotfixed into the game. I dont design/code games at all so i really do not know how hard this would be to implement so correct me if im wrong when i say it seems like it would be an easy fix. While this has not happened to me personally but i have had friends and other people on the forums have stated that they have posted items for less than they meant to because of the fact they cant see commas. It seems that Blizzard has waited till patches to release these simple updates to the game like searching for 6 affixes on an item instead of 3 just for an example. I think alot of people would like this hotfixed into the game sooner rather than waiting till patch 1.0.6

Edit: This thread seemed to have gotten out of hand over something that i didnt see as that big of a deal and just wanted to make sure that the devs knew about it and were working on a fix. Lylirra thanks for the quick reply and keep up the great work!
Edited by ScareKrow#1789 on 11/2/2012 6:53 PM PDT
Ho hard is it to count out up to 7 or 8?

I wouldn't mind commas, they should have been in already...

Yea i dont see it as that big of a problem but with all of these posts about it i think it has turned into one. I think if you post alot of items a day you are bound to have this happen to you sooner or later, that is my point.
Community Manager
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America. In the end, we just decided to go without separators, but we didn't fully realize what kind of impact not having breaks would have on the user experience (and, yes, that's our bad).

That said, we agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (hopefully without creating other issues for players in other countries). Sure, we could just use commas since that's what's already available, or we might just do something more universal likes spaces.
Edited by Lylirra on 11/5/2012 10:10 AM PST
Use both, that's the solution. Use whatever suits the region better.
Simple solution: Allow spaces when punching in a number rather than relying on commas or periods to avoid confusion.

I want to throw something up for 10 million gold?

10 000 000

DONE.
You guys can't make region specific features?
You could automatically insert spaces... 1 000 000
Isnt the game split into regions??? use the correct decimal style for the region...
Even simple spaces would be superior to just run-together numbers.
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).

Make it so each number can be input in a different box for example for 1 million it will look like this:
[1 ][000][000] or something along the lines
^ It was my understanding that the AH was regional anyway. Why, then, is it not possible to include commas only on the US server? Even if it is not possible, I think most would agree that anything would be better than nothing.

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).

Why don't you just match up the marker style depending upon what region you select?

If you choose to play on North American Server then use commas; if you choose to play on Europe Region, then decimals are used.

Also - have you considered making it user definable?
I agree with all the posts above me, simple spaces would work perfect. If someone doesnt understand what the spaces mean they must be retarded.
Spaces FTW
Can you localize it based on the origin of the CD-Key? For example, i bought my copy from Gamestop in USA, it should have commas indicating large numbers. But if i went to GAME in the UK and bought a comma it should have periods indicating large numbers.
Umm only the USA uses decimials.. the rest of the world uses comma's.. so i would say use commas
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]