Diablo® III

Commas when listing items

(Locked)

Lylirra, i suggest you make a confirmation pop up when we create an auction, and SPELL out the ammount, just like in a cheque. "2 billion gold only" or something.
Why is there so much vitriol in this thread, over something that is not even a gamebreaking issue...
DearBlizzardpleaseaddspacestoauctionhouseprices.Itcanbedifficulttodechiperataglanceandiserrorprone.Pleaseandthankyou.
100 Night Elf Hunter
11/02/2012 05:24 PMPosted by hirondelle
Why is there so much vitriol in this thread, over something that is not even a gamebreaking issue...

I know. Sheesh.
Dots, commas, doesn't matter. White space is no good...too easy to overlook. Players I think are smart enough to figure out that the dots, commas, etc. denote 3 zero increments. That's not even a regional difference, its always units of 3 zeros, right?

It helps being able to tell values simply by looking at how many units are to the left of the comma, dot etc. Otherwise you have to focus carefully counting up the all the zeros, and given how scammers try to distract with other things, like changing the terms (adding gems, etc), or backspacing mid count, it would go a long way to helping the nubs not getting scammed. Course some of them will cry you are nerfing scamming, their favorite pastime.
Edited by RageQuit#1835 on 11/2/2012 5:41 PM PDT
11/02/2012 05:16 PMPosted by Lylirra
You just need to post "yea we forgot that, it was a big fault, we need to correct and add commas"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005433457?page=6#119 :)

We made a choice, and that choice had its reasons (which were actually well-intentioned). We may not have made the best choice, though -- which we realize -- and we agree that an improvement can be made.

Why is it so hard for you to simply say "we made a bad design choice and we need to fix it"? You'd get a lot more respect for being straightforward instead of throwing out a lot of greasy weasel-words designed to avoid commitment and accountability.

It's not like we're asking you to commit to reworking a major gameplay system or anything - just add some digit separators. Have it be an option for the user to choose periods, spaces, commas, or default to none.
Or people can just learn how to count and actually check what they entered.

/thread
Usually I avoid this problem by counting numbers in sets of three... I can understand where op is coming from but... eh. Let me give you an example of how I would list items

25.4mil- I think "twenty-five point four one two one two three one two three" comes out as 25400000

2.5m- I think "two point five one two one two three" comes out as 2500000

I just press 0s as I think to myself one two one two three.

567,432,153- I think "five six seven four three two one five three"

Yeah it'd be nice to have the commas and spaces or whatever but sheez I never imagined people getting so riled up over this. Just... count it in your heads or something... I'm sure you've at least gone past remedial algebra
or you can put so many zeros the game tells you the max is 2 billion, and go take off the zeros u dont need.
I have no problem with it as it is, use your "I" thing growing off the end of the mouse to show 3 3 3 3 3 etc. But adding coma's for the slow children would be nice.

100I000I000
Edited by Buryit#2321 on 11/2/2012 6:02 PM PDT
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).

When you look at your gold ingame, it has commas.
View profile
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).

Hmm, how about...commas for Americas and periods for Europe?

Or even let the user choose their own setting, be it decimal, comma, or nothing? Is that so hard?
Heres an idea. SLOW DOWN - PAY ATTENTION - AND COUNT.

Theres absolutely no need for this. If you aren't paying attention to what you're doing with selling. Do something else.

Fail.

There is a reason Banks use commas and decimals.
Hey, just throwing ideas around here, but why not make a client-side interchangeable display system (ie we, the players, can choose whether we like commas [1,000,000], periods [1.000.000], spaces [1 000 000] or what have you [can I throw in smiley faces for fun? 1:)000:)000])? That way, the player in question can choose the style that suits them best, but most importantly it would not entail any server-side coding, negating any and all chance of errors occuring in the process that would have an affect on the auction house itself due to the change.
So the Auction Houses in US, EU and Asia all use comma's when showing items, yet you consciously took out comma's from the trade & AH listing/bidding menu, for fear of people confusing comma's and periods?

Well OK then.
I can't believe people are whining so much because of commas...

I guess this is great news. Must mean that all the real issues with the game have been addressed if people are complaining about this kind of thing.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]