Diablo® III

Commas when listing items

(Locked)

Fail.

There is a reason Banks use commas and decimals.

Fail, this is a game, not a bank. Different countries use different notations for larger denominations.

You just fail period.
My thoughts would be that it doesn't really matter what choice you decide, as long as the placement is the same it could be a semi-colon or a hyphen for all intensive purposes. Asking an American what they thought 1.000.000 is or asking a European what they thought 1,000,000 is should be the same answer because the placement(every 3 digits is universal).
You just need to post "yea we forgot that, it was a big fault, we need to correct and add commas"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005433457?page=6#119 :)

We made a choice, and that choice had its reasons (which were actually well-intentioned). We may not have made the best choice, though -- which we realize -- and we agree that an improvement can be made.

People is not idiot for god sake.... dont come with that region crap....
When you play your char and see your gold, you have just passed the 999 gold you see 1,000 and even if your country uses . you can say: "ok the game uses "," to separate 1000 gold", when you reach the million you can say "ok they use , to separate million too, numbers are , based.
ALSO when you go into the auction it has and you can see all tabs you see commas, so you can have AN IDEA, even you recognized the auction house uses commas everywhere.
People is not idiot.

and this
- We didn't originally add commas to begin with, because we were concerned about regional differences and didn't fully realize how not having separations would impact players. That may have been the wrong call, but we're looking to amend it.

this is bullsh*t, if thats true as you say, why all numbers in game have commas?

So stop liyng, we can see it miles away you just did a bad thing, and need to accept it. We dont ask a cause or reason, because they could be tons, like you care more of other things, you didnt know what to do and say "ok we do it in another time" we can expect those stuff as you release a beta game without half of the stuff you promised.
But just admit your mistake/forgetting about it and say when are you gonna fix it, no explanation or crap excuses is needed.
We are tired of this continously lying crap.
Edited by Darion#1864 on 11/2/2012 7:23 PM PDT
Allow both the comma separator with period decimal and the period separator with comma decimal systems. Let us choose which style our UI uses, and apply that to everything instead of the system now where some things have comma separators and others have nothing.

This may have been addressed somewhere but how does the RMAH handle the decimal in other regions? In the US, we use a period. But in other places the comma would be appropriate. Either the system uses a period for those regions which should use a comma (which could be potentially confusing and a terrible idea when dealing with real currency), or it uses a comma and indicates that Blizzard already has some precedent for adjusting the notation to the region.
Edited by Tiakatt#1643 on 11/2/2012 7:39 PM PDT
We agree with your feedback and want to make it easier for players to tell the difference between 1000000 and 10000000

Sorry what's the difference?
I would actually REALLLLLLY like this for damage floaters.
WoW has this, but it took them half a decade.
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America. We also didn't fully realize what kind of impact not having breaks would have on the user experience (and, yes, that's our bad).

That said, we agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (hopefully without creating other issues for players in other countries). We could just use commas, or we might do something more universal likes spaces.

Why can't you force people to choose this in a menu? I don't see why it can't be an option, doesn't seem like it would be hard to do.
85 Undead Priest
Most software just pulls the locale information from the operating system, and displays numbers however the user has configured to display them. In some locales, they even group the digits differently, such as every 2 or 4 digits, instead of 3.

Was there a particular reason for not just using the OS-defined locale? It shouldn't matter what region you're playing on, because some people don't play on their home region, and would still probably want the numbers formatted how they're used to.
Thanks Lylirra!
11/02/2012 12:24 PMPosted by Seraphi
The easiest solution, is to just have spaces. Everyone is happy.

The easiest solution would be to use what is already in use; commas. The only place commas aren't used is in the actual input window, everywhere else there are commas.

For that reason I'm actually quite perplexed about what Lylirra is on about. Since they already use commas, not spaces or decimals but commas, it should be crystal clear what they should use for the input window.
Or it can be done like how you enter the CD key, separate text boxes for each 3 digits.
Well i want to go out nude. Dick!
please dont fix this 'comma' issue

i wanna see this people rage so hard and quit
Just add an option in game to use commas, decimals or spaces. Let the user decide what break point they'd like to use instead of locking into region specific.
Hey guys, this discussion is getting a little out of hand. =/ If you want to figuratively shoot the messenger (that being me), that's fine, but let's please try to keep the conversation as civil as possible.

Also, it looks some of my follow up posts may have been missed in the excitement, so I'm going to quickly reiterate a few points:

- We agree with your feedback and want to make it easier for players to tell the difference between 1000000 and 10000000.

- We have considered simply adding spaces.

- We have also considered just adding commas, since it's what the auction house already uses.

- We didn't originally add commas to begin with, because we were concerned about regional differences and didn't fully realize how not having separations would impact players. That may have been the wrong call, but we're looking to amend it.

Oh good stuff. I hope they introduce appropriate separators for each region, and commas for the NA region specifically.

I know the CoH AH went at least a couple years before they implemented commas for the thousands separators, which finally made things manageable for the big ticket items. The reality for D3 is that the inflation makes separators a necessity for entering the intended amounts. I wouldn't be surprised if the original belief was that D3 item prices wouldn't hit millions or 100s of millions, but here we are needing the separators.
Maybe connect the delimiter to the language choice and region?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]