Diablo® III

Commas when listing items

(Locked)

What about adding options for players to choose? A drop down list?
1. Separate large sums of gold with commas and dot as the decimal point.
2. Separate large sums of gold with dots and comma as the decimal point.
3. Separate large sums of gold with spaces and dot as the decimal point.
4. Separate large sums of gold with spaces and comma as the decimal point.
How much development time would it take to implement?

And while you are at it, could you fix the right-click functionality "Search for similar items" when it is used on legendaries so that when I right-click a legendary, the system will search not only for the legendary's name but also its stats? Because now I have to insert the stats manually.
We didn't originally add commas to begin with, because we were concerned about regional differences and didn't fully realize how not having separations would impact players. That may have been the wrong call, but we're looking to amend it.

So... there are globalization-settings inside of windows, where you can define the number-formats?

Sadly I am using a german version of Windows, but there it would be at Systemsteuerung -> Zeit, Sprache, Region -> Datum, Uhrzeit oder Zahlenformat ändern (could be Controlpanel -> Time, Language, Region -> Change Date, Time or Numberformats ) where every user can define the decimal separator (s)he wants. Why not get it from there, should always be the way the user wants it? :D
Hey guys, this discussion is getting a little out of hand. =/ If you want to figuratively shoot the messenger (that being me), that's fine, but let's please try to keep the conversation as civil as possible.

Also, it looks some of my follow up posts may have been missed in the excitement, so I'm going to quickly reiterate a few points:

- We agree with your feedback and want to make it easier for players to tell the difference between 1000000 and 10000000.

- We have considered simply adding spaces.

- We have also considered just adding commas, since it's what the auction house already uses.

- We didn't originally add commas to begin with, because we were concerned about regional differences and didn't fully realize how not having separations would impact players. That may have been the wrong call, but we're looking to amend it.

TLDR: There are commas in the amount of gold you currently have. If it's the same globally, then there would be absolutly no problem using commas as spacing as it's been there since launch.

There are commas in the amount of gold you currently have. I'm sure that in Europe they are periods due to the different culture/currency system. If they are commas, they would be seeing a million gold as 1 piece, when they finally get to 1m. Therefore, it's either already set up as commas for everyone, or the spacing is accurate for the different regions. Simple to implement as it's ALREADY THERE!

Also the biggest thing thats been pissing me off about the entirety of the d3 community(probably started from wow) is the talk of the "Economy"(because of the AH(economies are always changing, and with a loot game like d3, everything slowly gets... cheaper.... thats not how economies work)) and since d3 has it's own unique economy why not use their own form of spacing?
Yes!, finally, some, way, to, read, numeric, values. I don't care how you do it just make it more user-friendly and your customers will be happier. (I , vote, for, commas.)
Edited by Dukun#1217 on 11/3/2012 3:38 AM PDT
i remember the elementary math when posting a price. it starts from right to left. one's.. ten's.. hundred's... thousand's.. ten thousand's.. hundred thousand's... million.. one million.. ten million.. hundred million... billion... (so on and so forth). and its easy. my point is im not having a hard time. dont know others.
Edited by Isaiah#6291 on 11/3/2012 4:28 AM PDT
This is one of the most epic threads I've seen in this forums lolz.
I am a software engineer and we do this all the time. The D3 client language/locale should determine the rules for digit seperators. There are several libraries out there that does this so that you can easily get this functionality. You can also call into windows and get the locale information but of course this will break portability to MAC.

Anyhow, just pass the comment/request to developers; if they say it is too hard, tell them it is nonsense.

One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America. We also didn't fully realize what kind of impact not having breaks would have on the user experience (and, yes, that's our bad).

That said, we agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (hopefully without creating other issues for players in other countries). We could just use commas, or we might do something more universal likes spaces.
never once under priced an item

dont be stupid and check your price before you hit create auction

problem solved
For Windows: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/desktop/dd318110
For OSX: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/Classes/NSNumberFormatter_Class/Reference/Reference.html
Both systems have built-in APIs for globalization. Why would anyone try to make their own, when you can just use what is provided by system?
Edited by Demonik#2964 on 11/3/2012 6:57 AM PDT
In the Spirit of Pony Land (My little Ponies), I think hearts should be used as breaks.
Isnt the game split into regions??? use the correct decimal style for the region...

Region "Americas" have at least two of those systems, commas and spaces (my country specifically). Allowing the system to place spaces automatically is the most universal language as accorded in the SI (international system of units - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units).

It bothers me a little that money is counted with commas already in D3, cuz its an north american system. So, yeah, spaces!!!
You know what.. that was a gracious and conciliatory response that made me feel guilty for the tone I've been using.

So I apologize. I'm glad to see that you recognize the importance of this.. and I was too judgmental, opinionated and rude in my responses.

Thank you for taking the time to make that latest post. It did change my opinion and attitude.

I can tell you, this is a more personal subject to me.. I think.. because I did over 10 years of data entry.. including things like customer/patient id numbers, many of which would have extreme numbers of 0's in them. And it was required of us to transcribe those numbers 100% accurately.

It's a pain to sit and try to count out 7, 8.. 9 or more 0's. They just run together on the screen and are a pain to separate mentally.

I've never seen a post like this in my life. I didn't think it was possible on the intertoobs, especially the D3 ones.

Good job kind sir.
I've never seen a post like this in my life. I didn't think it was possible on the intertoobs, especially the D3 ones.

Good job kind sir.

+1 to that
Edited by Warped#1115 on 11/3/2012 7:21 AM PDT
14 pages about this? really? what a complete non-issue. You'd have to be amazingly stupid or incredibly careless to screw up posting your mega-millions legendary.
For me it is a non-discusion since SI dictates that one uses spaces instead of any other signal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units

Every counted number in D3 should go according, cuz its politically acceptable! Period

But hey, if u wanna stick with the: "its a horth american game, made for north american ppl", ok, but dont say that the game have multiple languages!
Use whatever the user has set as his system default, herp derp, problem solved.
11/03/2012 07:35 AMPosted by Fisker
Use whatever the user has set as his system default, herp derp, problem solved.

Too difficult for Blizzard to implement. =s

...something that I, lousy programmer, can do in fifteen seconds.
or maybe use different color styling...
cant count? just sayin....
3 months... Still 5 buffs visible, no spaces/commas in large numbers...

How hard is that?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]