Diablo® III

Commas when listing items

(Locked)

90 Human Warlock
I realize it would be more of a pain, but couldn't you just make it a choice in the Options menu, whether to use decimals or commas or elephants or whatever other methods are used?
Just a quick suggestion from a dev (yes, I program) maybe you could add it as a setting in a drop-down somwhere in the options and just use whatever separator the user selected to display values. In one of our applications, we have at least 5 different separators available, and honestly, the code basically just uses the separator symbol selected to display values and never actually saves the values internally with any separators. That way, everyone can have what they prefer and your code basically just inserts exactly what every single person wants in a generic fashion (ie format string function that accepts the separator symbol as an argument to insert it). :)
I was just curious what, (if this applies) the stockholders are saying? Has the A/H brought the customer base up or down? Would the customer base stay the same or get worse if we added a "Ladder" or some other term to do something that will bring the old & new? I'm not sitting here trying to change something I have no control of, rather trying to help Blizzard & the customers. Some way to keep items away from real money costs & a satisfaction not requiring a money tree, (IMO the money auction house has turned many loyal customers (without a huge bankroll) away. I can hear them now... it would be the same, but read the suggestion below & dream of a way to keep the items off the real money market, this may bring more customers back & provide everyone a choice, (or a choice that keeps our customer base, & brings the old/new in also.

How about an expansion pack, (would justify the man hours). It would include issues at hand, & include a totally separate A/H (because of the legality). All the items & game would be the same, but add a new attribute that separates these items from the gold/rmah, when you make your char you have to choose this option & use the corresponding A/H. These items cannot be swapped or picked up unless on the same A/H etc. Just an idea, & if your reading this can you consider adding a gender option for the mercs & maby they can use a grapple hook or step ladder to get us out of the wallers/jailers? or at least reduce it a bit? (like the immune bubbles). Sorry, I'm quite new to the game, but like it... thanks for your work & making the servers better... hats off, happy holidays.
View profile
uhh I got !@#$ed out of a ton of gold by missing a 0 last night too. and im usually super careful.

would definitely appreciate the change.
11/02/2012 12:14 PMPosted by Lylirra
So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

You can't be serious. You plague European players with your retarded American 10.17.2012 dates in the AH log and try to tell us you didn't implement this because you care about the type of comma to use?!?
Not to mention the "yards" in all the ranges...
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America. We also didn't fully realize what kind of impact not having breaks would have on the user experience (and, yes, that's our bad).

That said, we agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (hopefully without creating other issues for players in other countries). We could just use commas, or we might do something more universal likes spaces.

I haven't been to the auction house on europe server but we DO have commas in the SEARCH page so we can tell whether it is 10M or 100M, right? Did you use periods instead of commas in european auction house? Is it possible to implement the same system just to the SELL page accordingly?
11/03/2012 09:18 AMPosted by StuRedman
So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

You can't be serious. You plague European players with your retarded American 10.17.2012 dates in the AH log and try to tell us you didn't implement this because you care about the type of comma to use?!?
Not to mention the "yards" in all the ranges...

Good point! ROFL
I like the concept of color coding the price based on 10^x so 10^0 grey, 10^1 white 10^2 pink, 10^3 green 10^4 brown, etc.
Patch in ,s or .s, and ask at first run which you would prefer to use in the AH. Add an option in the menus to change it.
View profile
I have a better answer. Who cares? Its not hard to tell the amount your typing in.

edit: And the moon landing was fake.
Edited by Suedomsa#1857 on 11/3/2012 9:59 AM PDT
View profile
Hey guys, this discussion is getting a little out of hand. =/ If you want to figuratively shoot the messenger (that being me), that's fine, but let's please try to keep the conversation as civil as possible.

Also, it looks some of my follow up posts may have been missed in the excitement, so I'm going to quickly reiterate a few points:

- We agree with your feedback and want to make it easier for players to tell the difference between 1000000 and 10000000.

- We have considered simply adding spaces.

- We have also considered just adding commas, since it's what the auction house already uses.

- We didn't originally add commas to begin with, because we were concerned about regional differences and didn't fully realize how not having separations would impact players. That may have been the wrong call, but we're looking to amend it.

Great post, this is why they made you a community manager;)
I find the 'other places dont use commas' excuse... lacking.

We have a system that can determine how many times you should be hit with fire, lightning, arcane, and poison damage for how much how often hundreds of times every second

But we do not have a system that says "You're in the EU, here's your format. You're in the U.S, here's your format"??

I've never seen a bigger cop out, and I've seen Cop Out.
One simple solution for all serwers, that work perfectly in few games:

USE DIFFERENT COLORS
eg. 1 000 000 000 would be:
[red]1[/red] [blue]000[/blue] [green]000[/green] [yellow]000[/yellow]
spacing is not necessary

it give almost 0% chance of mistake when typing amount
Interrogate the OS's settings, and use those. this isn't rocket science.

less than 60 seconds on google...

http://www.ex-designz.net/apidetail.asp?api_id=213

API Explanation
The GetNumberFormat function formats a number string as a number string customized for a specified locale.
Why not just have a user option to select which system to use that defaults to spaces, similar to how office productivity programs offer formatting options?
First, isn't Locales designed to address the regional differences like language and metrics.

Second, I think using "spaces" would be fine to address the "," vs "." hurdle.
90 Undead Rogue
so !@#$ing stupid

1 000 000.123456 = euro way

1,000,000.123456 = american way

JUST DO THAT %^-* FOR EURO AND AMERICA WTF???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? THERES ONLY QUEBEC THAT USES 1 000 000.123456 CUZ WERE FRENCH.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]