Diablo® III

Commas when listing items

(Locked)

90 Goblin Rogue
Rez
damn i cant report a blue post for spamming nonsense
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JW2xM80qGI&playnext=1&list=PL4EB176C4BAE0E394&feature=results_main

YORDLE DANCE PARTY

GOD RUGAL MODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH4lhyJuwYk

CRAZY GOD HYPE Begin
I have an astigmatism, which makes it very hard to see fine detail (without or without glasses), so I completely agree with the OP. Commas would help enormously, or at least an increase in font size. I have actually mistakenly priced an item too low because of this.
Cant the developers get our region setting using our acc info instead the server region info? And using that info to solve the issue?
The region is Americas, not US... this refers to the continent, in which almost every country use the metric system where one million = 1.000.000 not 1,000,000

Make the game recognize the setting from your OS and that's it! It's really a no brainer...
It seems that the OUTPUT of numbers in all regions have commas, i.e. AH search tab, completed tab, your character's inventory, etc. but all INPUTS i.e. trading window, AH listing/bidding window are set to text string i.e. no commas.

Conscious choice to take out commas because of regional differences? When all regions already use commas, group zeros into 3's, and use the U.S. date format?
Hey guys, this discussion is getting a little out of hand. =/ If you want to figuratively shoot the messenger (that being me), that's fine, but let's please try to keep the conversation as civil as possible.

Also, it looks some of my follow up posts may have been missed in the excitement, so I'm going to quickly reiterate a few points:

- We agree with your feedback and want to make it easier for players to tell the difference between 1000000 and 10000000.

- We have considered simply adding spaces.

- We have also considered just adding commas, since it's what the auction house already uses.

- We didn't originally add commas to begin with, because we were concerned about regional differences and didn't fully realize how not having separations would impact players. That may have been the wrong call, but we're looking to amend it.

I'm not usually jumping into threads just to say something that's been said countless times already, but this one really tips the jar over...
  • on Windows, the Win32 API has a single function that will directly output a string correctly formatted for the current locale : GetCurrencyFormat() (here the manual WITH sample code you can copy/paste : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688126.aspx#eud)
  • on MacOSX, localeconv() will get you the thousand separator in one call, then you have to format the string yourself (here's the manual, where you'll have to use your brain to loop through the number and insert the separator where needed : http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man3/localeconv.3.html#//apple_ref/doc/man/3/localeconv)

This, in C / C++ code, boils down to one to, say, five lines of actual code on your part, depending on the platform.

Being a developer myself, I just can't stand what is either blatant laziness, incompetence or evidence of a rushed game, and it show throughout every itching aspect of the game...
Seriously, that's ONE line of code, factored in the display macro for the AH interface, which makes up for every country in the world.

Yet a developer like me just can't explain HOW your testing / QA process does not catch such things as:
  • damage not working the way you actually wanted it
  • merchants not appearing anymore at some place, or achievement items not dropping after patch X
  • discovering the side effects of code changes afterward
  • discovering that some more code, yet undocumented, was included afterward, leading to "bugs" and the hilarious list of known issues in each patch note, like "Arcane Sentries can become desynchronized with the beam effect" (how the hell did that change from 1.0.3)

This stuff boils down to actual code lines, pulled from your GIT, SVN, Sourcesafe or whatever VCS you have, compiled and put together in a binary patch. Either you are screwing up with your version control system and cramming patches with whatever changes there are in the most recent commit, or your have developers doing some seriously wrong stuff to your different version branches, merges, and you should really teach them code review and proper merging.

Yet you say you do some QA, testing and stuff, and while I believe there's some, I just don't get its logic, it is way beyond me.

Just wanted to get that out of my chest, I can be banned in peace.
Or you can pay me the trip there and I'll actually code stuff or review lines for you with due attention and knowledge. Or I could even go and fix some in my spare time next time I go to California on vacation.

--
edit: few typos
Edited by BLueBLue#2233 on 11/3/2012 6:09 PM PDT
this is a no brainer

1,000,000 over 1000000

just do it
this is a no brainer

1,000,000 over 1000000

just do it

As the blue said; not everyone uses commas. Some countries use 1.000.000 instead of 1,000,000. And because its a global client, they cannot easily change it so taht the US reads, 1,000,000 and other countries read 1.000.000

Think of how many people will be confused in the US seeing 1.000G as one thousand gold. A lot of people may mistake it for 1.00G as 1 gold or (highly doubtful but ive seen worse) confuse it for 1.00 Haitian gourde (which uses a G)
Allow the user to toggle periods and/or commas? Seriously, is this rocket science?

It's frankly pathetic that this hasn't been implemented already.

But defaulting it to one or the other poses a problem. 90% of players wouldnt even notice that there IS an option to change from " , " to ". "

Honestly it would be better for everyone to either use spaces, or continue to pretend we are in kindergarten and count the zeros by 3s.

As you stated. This isnt rocket science.
this is a no brainer

1,000,000 over 1000000

just do it

As the blue said; not everyone uses commas. Some countries use 1.000.000 instead of 1,000,000. And because its a global client, they cannot easily change it so taht the US reads, 1,000,000 and other countries read 1.000.000

Think of how many people will be confused in the US seeing 1.000G as one thousand gold. A lot of people may mistake it for 1.00G as 1 gold or (highly doubtful but ive seen worse) confuse it for 1.00 Haitian gourde (which uses a G)

Must be millions of confused players over all the commas already in the game eh? Lets see here go look at item prices in the ah after they have been listed. Now go to a vendor and look their prices and for those so very truly stupid players look in your damn inventory at how much gold you have? See the commas everywhere in the game? Now do you feel as stupid as you appear to be? Aren't you thankful you paid 60 bucks to get trolled by a Blizzard CM?

For those still scratching thier heads or butts/nuts, riddle me this Batman. If there are so many examples of commas being used in gold total amounts throughout the game, then how is the reasoning behind the commas missing only when posting an item and nowhere else in the game?

Wow this must be the kind of player they was talking about when saying them removed rune drops for sockets before lauch becuase it confuse players.
Allow the user to toggle periods and/or commas? Seriously, is this rocket science?

It's frankly pathetic that this hasn't been implemented already.

But defaulting it to one or the other poses a problem. 90% of players wouldnt even notice that there IS an option to change from " , " to ". "

Honestly it would be better for everyone to either use spaces, or continue to pretend we are in kindergarten and count the zeros by 3s.

As you stated. This isnt rocket science.

Seeing as commas are everywhere in the game i fail to understand there being even a remote chance of a problem. Most should be accustomed to using commas and should be fine by now as they see commas each and everytime they look at how much gold they have. Not to mention comma or period doesnt matter one bit. Only an idiot would confuse the amount as either period or comma would be in the same place.

Was not implemented because like,everything else D3 nothing was tested properly or gone over a number of times looking for those kinds of things. Would be np really but they feel the need to give us a BS excuse. It happens with every issue that pops up. When they finally admit a prob they give a lame made up excuse why it happened. Really is no need though. Mistakes get made but always trying to deflect blame is getting old. Just admit an issue and move on. I would rather recive no reason instead of one that insults the intelligence.
Edited by Stoneslammer#1524 on 11/3/2012 7:37 PM PDT

I'm not usually jumping into threads just to say something that's been said countless times already, but this one really tips the jar over...
  • on Windows, the Win32 API has a single function that will directly output a string correctly formatted for the current locale : GetCurrencyFormat() (here the manual WITH sample code you can copy/paste : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688126.aspx#eud)
  • on MacOSX, localeconv() will get you the thousand separator in one call, then you have to format the string yourself (here's the manual, where you'll have to use your brain to loop through the number and insert the separator where needed : http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man3/localeconv.3.html#//apple_ref/doc/man/3/localeconv)

This, in C / C++ code, boils down to one to, say, five lines of actual code on your part, depending on the platform.

Being a developer myself, I just can't stand what is either blatant laziness, incompetence or evidence of a rushed game, and it show throughout every itching aspect of the game...
Seriously, that's ONE line of code, factored in the display macro for the AH interface, which makes up for every country in the world.

Yet a developer like me just can't explain HOW your testing / QA process does not catch such things as:
  • damage not working the way you actually wanted it
  • merchants not appearing anymore at some place, or achievement items not dropping after patch X
  • discovering the side effects of code changes afterward
  • discovering that some more code, yet undocumented, was included afterward, leading to "bugs" and the hilarious list of known issues in each patch note, like "Arcane Sentries can become desynchronized with the beam effect" (how the hell did that change from 1.0.3)

This stuff boils down to actual code lines, pulled from your GIT, SVN, Sourcesafe or whatever VCS you have, compiled and put together in a binary patch. Either you are screwing up with your version control system and cramming patches with whatever changes there are in the most recent commit, or your have developers doing some seriously wrong stuff to your different version branches, merges, and you should really teach them code review and proper merging.

Yet you say you do some QA, testing and stuff, and while I believe there's some, I just don't get its logic, it is way beyond me.

Just wanted to get that out of my chest, I can be banned in peace.
Or you can pay me the trip there and I'll actually code stuff or review lines for you with due attention and knowledge. Or I could even go and fix some in my spare time next time I go to California on vacation.

--
edit: few typos

Look out Blizzard, this guy has something to prove!

That he is smarter than the average Blizzard game designer? Think he acomplished that IMO
I would honestly rather see them work on pvp or fixing glitches or finding gold farmers or pretty much anything else other than working on the auction house because a few people either can't or are just too lazy to count up to 10
11/02/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Lylirra
- We have considered simply adding spaces.

It is a great idea as it will match every region standard.

- We have also considered just adding commas, since it's what the auction house already uses.

I don't claim to be the EU emissary or anything but I would find it even more confusing than the current system. At least for a couple of day. I am pretty sure we are able to adapt whatever decision is made. I don't know how many time you took on that change but when you think about it it is not that important. I am sure monk and wizard players have great hope about the : "we agree the synergy of the skill is not where we want it to be at the moment." statement. Moreover I am also sure a lot of people consider PvP release is more important than AH improvement at the moment. I do anyway :).

If you want to figuratively shoot the messenger (that being me), that's fine

huh... ?!? Do you want a hug?
Even if I believe there is more important change to be made for diablo III at the moment, I see you want to make sure to take the right decision. I truly appreciate that spirit!
Alright that was your hug <3. Share the love to the other community managers.

Have fun, and see you in game! :)
Edited by Guybrush#2456 on 11/3/2012 8:33 PM PDT
I have a simpler solution that eliminates the need for separators: color code the groups. (blue)100(/blue)(red)000(/red)(green)000(/green)

I'm not a programmer, but it doesn't seem that hard to me, and you don't have to worry about regional differences.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]