Diablo® III

Commas when listing items

(Locked)

why bother sorry , BLUE always right , doesn't matter what they said or done , they can even murder jesus christ and they still always right .... Am i right my godly blue watcher !!!:))
for the love of Diablo

lets be a bit technical here please
you databases are what oracle? mssql? what ever they have the field type MONEY

based on the regional settings your database is saving the date you are transmitting them to the client, so just for that i understand that its not "so simple" as you said, because its not deepened on the client regional settings.

ok cool.

why just not make a simple client conversion? i really dont see where the "very hard part is"!
you made an entire game and you have difficulties thinking on how to make , for US and . for the Europeans? is this a joke?

make the client based on the region connected, to conver and display the gold with that "symbol". its very easy stuff!

do you want to give you the C++ code of a function like that?

its not irony, but honestly i dont see the "big deal" out of it! (i mean on technical side)
11/04/2012 01:27 AMPosted by doccocaubai
why bother sorry , BLUE always right , doesn't matter what they said or done , they can even murder jesus christ and they still always right .... Am i right my godly blue watcher !!!:))

exactly that! they are askign our opinion, we are telling them, they disagree because they are "blues" nd they think they always know better, then they do what ever they want!

so its like playing with us by simply asking our opinion!

then they apply the change, then we get pissed off, then they realize they DID and Other mistake, and then make an other patch to fix it they way WE said from the start!

and the circle goes on.......

oh boy i really miss the old good Blizzard Entairtainment.....
I bet if Blizzard was the deciding vote for the 2012 election we'd see the results in 2025
- We have considered simply adding spaces. - We have also considered just adding commas, since it's what the auction house already uses

How about just adding the option of choosing your own decimal seperator in the options menu.
Either by dropdown option or by text input field. Then everyone can just set it to what ever they'de prefer.
I got an idea. How about just limiting the amount on selling an item to no more than 50,000,000 while still implementing some sort of comma or period scheme into the mix so you know how much you are selling the item for. You limited the amount an item can be sold on the RMAH why can't you limit the amount an item can be sold on the GHAM? It really shouldn't matter even if it were a dash, slash or a asterisk as long as there is a separation so you can tell 100,000 from 1,000,000.

I personally count how many zero's I put in my listings then recheck when it's my auctions. It's kind of sad it wasn't implemented in the beginning but it's something that can be done in a reasonable amount of time to edit what code is already there.
11/04/2012 02:49 AMPosted by IRRebel5150
This is kinda getting stupid with the "Choose your separator" and "just use spaces" ideas even supported by the same CM comments. No need to reinvent the wheel, or make it far more complicated than it needs to be.

Sheesh, that's stupid to call stupid as this exists in normal, everyday software used throughout the world.
I actually never posted in the forum before,but now i feel i must.
The thing I see that you completely see us,your customers as idiots,but the worst is that you cant figure out a solution for this. The problem is that you believe that we would be confused by the listings if they are in this "1.000.000" or "1,000,000"? I think i can give you the ultimate solution for this, instead of using periods or commas, use this formation:

"1 000 000"

(instead of using commas or periods,use simple spacing between the numbers). And no one should be mislead by neither of the commas or the periods.
This game is +15 i think the majority understands what a . after every 000 means after trying out AH.

You gave us europeans yards, US dates and every other weird stuffs and we figured it out instantly.
Edited by Sam#2475 on 11/4/2012 5:14 AM PST
The space every 3 number works works, or break it up like when you enter a CD key.
Nobody knows how to count anymore? We really need decimals and commas to know what numbers we are using?

But, there should be a button or choice in the options menu that will allow comma separators, decimal separators or none - or a regional button that sets this up automatically for each user.

But, I am still going with my first comment that it should be failry easy to figure out as you are typing where you are in the comma/decimal world...
If i'm not mistaken u can choose the language of the client, dispite the playing region. Can't you implement it by chosen playing language and not by playing region? It solves the problem of different countries within a playing region without much coding effort.

Since its a client feature and not server, it makes more logic to me.

Make it region-specific.

It's frankly pathetic that this hasn't been implemented already.

There are three gameplay regions for Diablo III:

North America
Europe
Asia

Many countries within those regions use different decimal styles, so unfortunately it's not as simple as making it "region-specific." Also, making a change apply to only one region and not another isn't always ideal or an available option.

Like I said, though, we agree it'd be nice for players to break out values in the auction house (at the least the values that they enter themselves). In the end, we may just add commas, since that's what the service already uses in a lot of places. We're also considering other options (like spaces) that are more universal.
Personally, I think we should use the Dewey Decimal System.
90 Pandaren Warrior
I have a novel idea, how about after every 3 digits, the color of the text changes.
for the love of Diablo

lets be a bit technical here please
you databases are what oracle? mssql? what ever they have the field type MONEY

I don't think you can assume they used any particular field type. However, I do think that they ought to just run it through an internationalization formatting function and be done.
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).

You don't give your players enough credit. Whether you decide on a comma or period, players will understand when it comes to gold values.

TBH, this sounds like a baloney excuse for a problem brought up by players since day one. There's simply no way someone is going to look at 23,000,000 or 23.000.000 gold and get confused what it means. An IQ over 60 guarantees this.

Ok, just saying, I have heard this before. I have used this type of excuse when I didn't want to do something. It is one of my weakest ones.

On the RMAH, you can't go past $250.00 so just make it so either a , or a . will break from whole values into partial values. And on the GAH you can't have 0.1 gold, so the only breaks would be between thousands, millions and billions.

Just make it so you can use both. Since in one you cant reach a thousand and in another you cant go less than 1.

Seriously, not that hard. You are just making yourself sound retarded by posting some excuse like this.

Hehe, pretty much this.

Even if people who use periods or commas to place decimal places saw 1,00,000 or 1.000.000, you only use ONE decimal place in a number, not 2. So logic dictates that if you see that number, it could only mean one thing: it's NOT a decimal number.

Finally, what the guy said above: you can't sell items in the gold auction house for 1.50 gold. Gold values use whole numbers, not decimals.

I don't know if you had to come up with that stupid excuse or someone else wrote it for you, but somehow I don't blame you/him/her for coming up with it. This forum is filled with retards who would take that excuse. Unfortunately, there are those of us who aren't retards who do see that behind that lame !@# excuse there is only one thing: laziness.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]