Diablo® III

Commas when listing items

(Locked)

Being in Customer Service, I (if doing something wrong), would want to know and fix it than for someone to just not use our product or service (in our terminology, avoiding with your pocketbook). I, having played over 400 hours, just love your product, but I consider the auction house to be a service. Higher values when putting in sale values gets really hard and sometimes I have to cancel and re-do a sale when I put an extra 0 in. Selling something for 235,000 is a lot different than changing to 2,350,000.
Hi Lylirra, please let to end this stupid argument forever.

Termial Solution:
999(Green)999(Brown)999(Gold)999(white)999(Grey) and so on.
NO "," or "." or " ". Just like WOW.
It can aviod some types of color blind as well.

Are u listening Lylirra?
Just sold a pair of gloves with 174 Int, 73 Vit, 62 AR, CH dmg 20%, CH chnc 7% for 425000 instead of 4250000
11/04/2012 07:16 PMPosted by LordSmooth
Just sold a pair of gloves with 174 Int, 73 Vit, 62 AR, CH dmg 20%, CH chnc 7% for 425000 instead of 4250000

Then you deserve it. Anyone who actually has a problem with this is an idiot. Here's a suggestion. Use 1 finger to type in the numbers. With the remaining 9, count out how many places there are. Using this concept, you can get up as high as 1 billion - 1. Do this enough and you'll actually be able to do it entirely internally!

I'll give you bonus points if you can just look a number as small as 425000 and realize there are only 3 zeros without having to go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6! There are six digits! AH AH AHHH! The Count from Sesame Street would be ashamed at having raised a generation of people that need a visual aid to count to a numbers even as high as 100 billion. Reading someone else's numbers and keeping track of what you've typed in yourself are two completely different things.

Seriously, what else are you doing that's so important while you're typing in the numbers that you can't pay one iota of attention to the numbers you're typing. One hundred twenty five million. 125000000. It was really hard to type 125 and 6 zeros.

More to the point. How is it possible that people are so upset about something so incredibly minor when there have been more serious problems in the game from the onset? Truthfully, this is a reflection of what's wrong with America today. People need their hands held for everything. Nobody seems to be able to take care of themselves. When people mess up, it's got to be because someone else didn't do something right. Had Blizzard just made the game right in the first place I wouldn't have sold my item for 1/10th of what I meant to! Learn some personal accountability dude.
People are pissed off because we are being lied to and patronized, not because of commas.

Every other place in the game shows gold amount with commas, you really think anyone would get confused if commas were used in the AH input prices as well ?

Is that the best excuse that Blizz can give? It's BS, and you know it.
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).

it's an AMERICAN GAME

make players from other countries learn instead of playing it off by saying "oh it might confuse a small percentage of our playerbase"

Mad because your job got outsourced?
To me it is very strange that this has to be such a big issue, because it must be the most simple thing to implement since the thousands separator is set on the OS level. Why not simply retrieve the thousand separator set by the OS to display in all the fields that are displaying numbers?

In Java it requires only two lines of code to get the separator

DecimalFormatSymbols sym = new DecimalFormatSymbols(Locale.getDefault());
char separator = sym.getGroupingSeparator();

Event if You are coding in a lower level language like assembler, it shouldn't be that hard to ask the OS to what character to use in display...
Then all numbers would be shown with the users own setting and no-one could complain anymore....
11/02/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Lylirra
- We didn't originally add commas to begin with, because we were concerned about regional differences and didn't fully realize how not having separations would impact players. That may have been the wrong call, but we're looking to amend it.

you do have comas showing on on the numbers in Search, Auctions and Completed window in AH.. and everybody is fine with that
Edited by FrozenTS#2718 on 11/5/2012 2:16 AM PST
People are pissed off because we are being lied to and patronized, not because of commas.

Every other place in the game shows gold amount with commas, you really think anyone would get confused if commas were used in the AH input prices as well ?

Is that the best excuse that Blizz can give? It's BS, and you know it.
why not use scientific notation it was developed for the purpose of displaying large numbers with no need to count how many zeroes follow a number.
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America. We also didn't fully realize what kind of impact not having breaks would have on the user experience (and, yes, that's our bad).

That said, we agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (hopefully without creating other issues for players in other countries). We could just use commas, or we might do something more universal likes spaces.

I'm not going to do a complete search of this thread to share a idea that might already be in this thread so I will just out right say it for the sake it is not in this thread.

Most games that use currency or language translations have a option in the account settings that localize currency. Example would be I am a American playing on the Europe server and under options -> account an option to set the currency, not for buying or selling but for display purposes only, the format would be the only thing effected.

If I chance the currency setting from American as I would be seeing 1,000,000 to German I would then see 1.000.000 its typical to a external notepad editor outside of windows. Highlight options for different type of views, C, C++,HTML, Java it changes color coding etc..
i would say stop crying and pay more attention to what your putting your items up for plain and simple there.. Bilz wont say it but i will.
11/02/2012 12:14 PMPosted by Lylirra
So, which decimal style do we use?

I'm not sure if anyone else suggested this but, why not just use spaces? Seems like that would get rid of the problem without any downsides.

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America. We also didn't fully realize what kind of impact not having breaks would have on the user experience (and, yes, that's our bad).

That said, we agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (hopefully without creating other issues for players in other countries). We could just use commas, or we might do something more universal likes spaces.

Really, that is the reason it hasn't been done yet? That is the worst and most pathetic excuse I have ever heard. There are US / EU region copies and servers for a reason. /facepalm
11/04/2012 02:49 AMPosted by IRRebel5150
The Comma's just NEED to be put in there! It was left out intentionally, obviously, and I beleive there was discussion about it and the reasons it was left out! But those are NOT the reasons stated in this thread.

Well, to be perfectly honest I have never seen an input field add separators dynamically ever before. And remember that the separator needs, just not only to be added but also moved so for instance when you're about to type in 30,000, the first comma is just moved one step to the right from 3,000 so that when you add another zero it becomes 30,000 instead of 3,000,0. Have you ever seen an input field work like that before?
Edited by Vresiberba#2940 on 11/5/2012 7:47 AM PST
View profile
11/05/2012 07:42 AMPosted by Vresiberba
The Comma's just NEED to be put in there! It was left out intentionally, obviously, and I beleive there was discussion about it and the reasons it was left out! But those are NOT the reasons stated in this thread.

Well, to be perfectly honest I have never seen an input window add separators dynamically ever before. And remember that the separator needs, just not only to be added but also moved so for instance when you're about to type in 30,000, the first comma is just moved one step to the right from 3,000 so that when you add another zero it becomes 30,000 instead of 3,000,0. Have you ever seen an input window work like that before?

Good point. However I think the easier way to do it is to have the commas or spaces already there and as you type your numbers shift over. Pretty sure I've seen that before.

Another easier option is to leave it as -is but when you click submit - popup a confirmation window which DOES show the commas or spaces and make the user confirm the price before submitting. You could make it possible to disable the confirmation if some people are annoyed by it. That would be easy and effective.
as usual lame excuses from the mods
yes
You'd have to address the issue of different countries using different number groupings as well.

For example, NA uses groups of 3, Japan uses groups of four:

1,000,000,000 (one billion) vs. 10,0000,0000 (10 oku), same amount of zeros. Although they don't separate with commas/periods that I remember, so they may not even need the separation.

Either that, or just spend the extra half second to focus and count your numbers.
They already use Commas in the AH. Just not in one area, the level of retard it takes to not notice this...
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]