Diablo® III

Commas when listing items

(Locked)

I think we should use automatic spaces

11/02/2012 12:22 PMPosted by Keybz
Umm only the USA uses decimials.. the rest of the world uses comma's.. so i would say use commas

btw why USA always has to be different?
"Lets just use inches instead of centimeters, and use Fahrenheit instead of Celsius..."
that caused a lot of trouble to me when i moved to usa
View profile
How about no "KK"'s You know how annoying that is? "FS 100kk" Really? Is that like 1 million? Im not sure that is determined by the region, or is it?
Options>Choose unit separator: Comma or period.
How will it be confusing?
EU uses .
US uses ,

So ppl from EU would be "confused" when see a , ? Everyone will "understand" it within seconds, your playerbase isn't retarded.

Whatever i don't care that much, take your time and add commas mid 2013 or something :D

11/02/2012 12:39 PMPosted by VorteX
Why does everybody complain about everything? If you can't count 0's then go back to grade 1. I sell stuff for billions and I have no problem counting all the 0's... all you morons have to count is like 5 or 6 zeros.. not as many as me. i>u

Arrorant guy, just because YOU have no problem with it doesn't mean it's not needed/not a good change.

It's a very small change that would make AH/listing items way more comfortable for everyone, yes even for those "look at me, i can count 0s!" dudes.
Edited by Odin#1507 on 11/2/2012 12:44 PM PDT
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).

Super easy and obvious solution: A small space between each grouping of three numbers, no new symbols.

Problem solved.
And since we have a CM's attention in this thread, what about gear lock? This is another major UI problem players have complained about since day one. Here are three really simple fixes to accidental gear swapping:
1. Add a gear lock checkbox.
2. Make gear swap shift+right click. When you guys bind so many functions on one key, you're asking for accidents to happen.
3. Do not allow quick swapping with right click. Make players drag new gear into their gear slot. We won't mind.

There are several threads about item lock that have blue posts on them, and they already said they are working on it. Also CM's said that one of the reasons they don't respond to threads is because people change the subject just like you did :(
There's commas on prices in the AH? Obviously it can't be that confusing.
just allow people to choose from the various comma styles available for their region. its not a hard stretch of the imagination that people would be able to pick which theyre most comfortable with.
"Lets just use inches instead of centimeters, and use Fahrenheit instead of Celsius..."

As an American citizen, I agree. Metric system ftw.
11/02/2012 11:42 AMPosted by ScareKrow
It seems that Blizzard has waited till patches to release these simple updates to the game like searching for 6 affixes on an item instead of 3 just for an example.

Please unlock all affixes searchable for Leg/Set items, please, please, please!
11/02/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Ringo
Isnt the game split into regions??? use the correct decimal style for the region...

So much this...

It boggles my mind as to why the decision was made to use nothing.

It's not that hard to see why this solution is not as simple as it seems. Game is split into regions, yes. So far as I can tell, the difference is in the databases that your game connects to. You're suggesting to change the UI in the game itself based on the region you connect to. It definitely doesn't sound as simple as just another entry in a database.
I think we should use automatic spaces

Umm only the USA uses decimials.. the rest of the world uses comma's.. so i would say use commas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units

I agree that now that things are standardized world wide, the US should go through the revamp of switching to the metric system (Especially since almost everything being 10 based instead of arbitrary measurements just makes sense)...

But unfortunately the people that hold us back from this are:

The lazy people, that don't want to "suffer" through the switch over...

The Nationalists (No, they aren't patriotic, they are nationalists) ... you know.. those people we always make fun of yelling "MERICA" while driving their SUV's to church. Because they think everything that happens in their country is the greatest thing ever.
11/02/2012 12:14 PMPosted by Lylirra
So, which decimal style do we use?

The sad truth is that the dev team probably spent a lot of time on this incredibly important question. It's a pity they couldnt just put F'n spaces instead of punctuation.

Let's move on to more important matters. Like discussing the reasons why we don't want to let legendary items to accept dyes.

If you're wondering why this game is still a steaming pile...
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).

Figure out which region is smarter... use the proper punctuation for the region that is dumber and the smarter ones will figure it out.

To me whether you used 1,000,000 or 1.000.000 I would figure it out..
PS I don't know what they are teaching in the schools these days but I was never taught to use periods for 1,000 or 10,000 it was always commas (in USA).

The spaces seems like a good idea too. But make it so each of the 3 numbers are in a seperate entry field... like you see on websites where you enter a phone number 111 1111 1111 each of the 3 in a seperate field window (or whatever you call it).
Edited by AxeLord#1992 on 11/2/2012 12:42 PM PDT

As an American citizen, I agree. Metric system ftw.

Amen here.
It's actually not that simple, but fair suggestion even still.

(We are also considering spaces, yes.)

What is so hard about this? Put all 3 good possibilities in the game (commas, decimals, and spaces) and put it in options....seriously...what is so hard about that?

Code for 10 minutes, insert into patch to deploy, and move on to the next more pressing issue....
Edited by Sevon#1297 on 11/2/2012 12:44 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]