Diablo® III

Commas when listing items

(Locked)

At least do something would at least help.
Edited by MisterAjikko#1937 on 11/2/2012 12:48 PM PDT
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).

yeah because it would make sense to have 1 with six 0's as decimals...

people would know right away that it is simply a way of seperating. In worst case you could always use space 1000000 vs 1 000 000 a much better solution then not having any way to seperate
There are no decimal in D3 today.
So any of these (period, comma, space) it's all good what ever region we are from.

Please consider space with coloring for instance yellow.
Like (if you are familiar with HTML-like tags:
"This sword cost [yellow]2 345[/yellow] gold."
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).

Then use the localization settings from the OS. Both Windows and MacOSX have this.

well i guess it would make sense to do it by region then wouldnt it? in the US servers, use commas, in the European servers use decimal points, it just seems like that makes the most sense to me

Really? Localize it for each region. If youre playing on the US server, its 1,000,000, if its EU do 1.000.000. Either way, it wont take a rocket surgeon to figure out since the game does not use fractions of a gold.
Excuse me but...

In IFRS and GAAP -which are the most recognized and widely used accounting principles- they all use commas to seperate larger values of 1000 and periods for decimals.

That being said, commas for integers and periods for decimals is practically universal and recognized across the world.
1x000x000x000
1p000p000p000
1 000 000 000
1f000f000f000
1z000z000z000
1v000v000v000
1|000|000|000

There.

TEN suggestions that EVERYONE understands, that are miles better than:

Seriously.

Would China invade the USA for Diablo 3 insulting their numbers system or something if they went for 1,000,000?

If so.
There's 10 suggestions for separators above.

Here's 20 more separators that are better than nothing
: ¤ # / ( ) = + - , ¨ ' µ ~ ∞ ¿ ▒ ÷ ╬ ┬

And a link to a 100+++ more:
http://www.theasciicode.com.ar/extended-ascii-code/box-drawing-character-ascii-code-194.html

If you guys sat down and discussed this and thought this was a problem I can't help but chuckle. We only trade full pieces of gold, I will never give you 0.5 piece of gold. The confusion would last maybe 3 seconds on the initial encounter. Instead you put a system in place that has had scammers trying to drop zeros in trade and furthermore people constantly counting in their head the # of zeros.

Seems like leaving them out was about the laziest option, and the dumbest.
put commas, or periods in. Nobody really cares which, they are put in these numbers to help people read. If they were not useful they would not be used on an everyday basis all over the world.
Edited by Rattleshirt#1292 on 11/2/2012 1:02 PM PDT

Many countries within those regions use different decimal styles, so unfortunately it's not as simple as making it "region-specific." Also, making a change apply to only one region and not another isn't always ideal or an available option.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but, wouldn't it be simpler if it was available as a menu in the options?
Put it in gameplay options and give each player a choice of what to use. if i want to use 1P000P000 then allow me to do it.
i cannot believe finding a solution becomes so hard sometimes. Ive got a crazy idea here, add more valuable forms of currency. maybe after you collect one thousand gold it turns into a platinum one thousand platinum turns into something else... hasnt this idea been used in about a thousand games around the world? pick your own names for the currency for all i care. I think people from every region would at least be able to understand this concept.

Really appreciate that you replied to my post and im glad to see that you guys at Blizzard are considering options. Keep up the great work with the game btw for the most part it is by far one of my favorite :D
erm im pretty sure the whole damn world understand what is 1.00.000 coins and 1,000,000 coins between 1.23 coins. IN any other parts of the world i have being to, 1 ( decimal) 23 with nothing at the back , (1.23) mean 1.23 currency
Why would anyone assume its a decimal point if decimals aren't used in this game???
And in the example, 1.000.000 can be mistaken that it has 2 decimal points? -.-
Edited by Mitsaras#2343 on 11/2/2012 3:51 PM PDT

I'm pretty sure any decimal/comma system will work...I really don't care which separator is used, just use one and us bright bunnies will figure this !@#$ out. Maybe.
it's simple, we kill the batman

JUST USE SPACES.

@Lylirra, you are my favourite CM (and I may almost have a crush on you), and I understand that this is not your opinion nor directly your decision, but using spaces would solve everything.

If not by spaces, just break up the zeroes with "|" or "-" or some other non-numerical symbol. OR, have boxes which can only contain 3 digits
i.e. 3 million becomes |__3||000||000|

In a game which resolves around trading to develop and improve, it's intrinsic that there is a suitable, workable trading system - which there is currently not. I am also referring to scam exploits still operating in the game.

these are all simple fixes. I wish you luck, and thank you for listening to us and endeavouring to constantly improve this game!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]