Diablo® III

Commas when listing items

(Locked)

your windows profile is what decides how numbers should read.
under regional and language settings it's determined wether or not to use , or . for the delimiter. cant D3 read those settings and use that?
11/02/2012 12:35 PMPosted by PanicAttack
Options>Choose unit separator: Comma or period.

You Sir, are a genious. I doubt it could be easier to solve than this.
11/02/2012 12:23 PMPosted by Lylirra
Isnt the game split into regions??? use the correct decimal style for the region...

It's actually not that simple, but fair suggestion even still.

(We are also considering spaces, yes.)

Actually it is fairly simple. Whether you're on Windows or OSX or even consoles like the Xbox360, there's a way to retrieve the region/locale setting for how your operating system is configured. Just ask any programmer who has dealt with localization. It's pretty likely that the user will prefer the game to display decimals and numbers the same way his/her operating system displays it.

In short, this problem can be solved in less than 4 hours of coding for all platforms. Blizzard simply didn't allocate the effort to do this.
just count your freakin zero's, let blizzard work on it, this should be the least of everyones concern. case closed
11/02/2012 01:22 PMPosted by terenceloar
You could automatically insert spaces... 1 000 000

Hire this guy.

You can do that. But not all countries divide their numbers up in groups of 3's :) So you're kind of back at the same problem. For your edutainment:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19455-01/806-0169/overview-9/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark#Digit_grouping

For example, in various countries (e.g., China, India, and Japan), there have been traditional conventions of grouping by 2 or 4 digits. These conventions are still observed in some contexts, although the 3-digit group convention is also well known and often used.
11/02/2012 01:33 PMPosted by Tuftronic
Options>Choose unit separator: Comma or period.

You Sir, are a genious. I doubt it could be easier to solve than this.

It is done like that in every statistical or spreadsheet software; you choose what you want to use. I think it should be really easy to implement.

Or they could make D3 "read" the language configuration of your computer and set the decimal placer according to it.
11/02/2012 01:48 PMPosted by greymatter
just count your freakin zero's, let blizzard work on it, this should be the least of everyones concern. case closed

agreed.

I dont think we need to be down the game developers throat when something like this comes up.

On the other hand whether the blue response was just worded for political correctness or not, regionally defined value separators is something that should have been included. There does not need to be a committee or discussion it is simply something that should have already been there.

To use regions as an excuse is ridiculous considering, like you said, this is a worldwide game and if you did not account for that then it makes it look worse. Not to mention like others have said the auction houses are server specific anyways.

This is not a huge issue and while it is annoying there are bigger things at play that need Blizz attention.

BUT.....

Im sure that no blizz employee accidentally set a buyout for a trifecta MF gloves at 10,000,000 instead of 100,000,000. Someone out there scored a deal and I lost 90m. That's enough to frustrate someone
Spaces or colors.

Either a space where there would be a point or a comma, or, change the text color at each 1000 stage.

Example; 200 million, which we see as 200000000

Would become either 200 000 000

or

200000000 but it would be 200 in red 000 in blue and 000 in white.
It is possible (though I don't know how easy) to use the local machine's locale settings, which in theory should be correct for all users. Spaces, as mentioned though, are a safe bet. :)
1 Human Mage
11/02/2012 12:24 PMPosted by Seraphi
Umm only the USA uses decimials.. the rest of the world uses comma's.. so i would say use commas

Canada uses decimals as well (excluding Quebec, but they play by their own rules anyway)

The easiest solution, is to just have spaces. Everyone is happy.
Yeah.... no, Canada uses commas
Your Dev must have considered this option:

In D3 game settings where users can set region, language, payment options, etc. , you can easily add an entry to specify the numbering format.

If Europeans do use "," as decimal point, and "." as digit grouping symbol, that indeed would be a big problem.

As a matter of fact, I just checked Windows 7 Control Panel/Clock, Language, and Region. If I change the Language to French(Canada) and check on "Additional Settings", I do have the option to choose between "," or "." as decimal symbol, and white space or "," as Digit grouping symbol. While if the language is set to English(United States), there is no extra option under these 2 categories.

Therefore, I think allowing users to set numbering format similarly in D3 game settings is very important, since AH is a huge part of this game and numbering is the core of AH trading.

One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).
11/02/2012 01:50 PMPosted by Yunnypuff

Hire this guy.

You can do that. But not all countries divide their numbers up in groups of 3's :) So you're kind of back at the same problem. For your edutainment:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19455-01/806-0169/overview-9/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark#Digit_grouping

For example, in various countries (e.g., China, India, and Japan), there have been traditional conventions of grouping by 2 or 4 digits. These conventions are still observed in some contexts, although the 3-digit group convention is also well known and often used.

While this is good information in your first document every number set is divided by 3s with a start number of 4. In your second source it clearly says "observed in some contexts"... none of which apply to currency or dollar values.

I work for a global company and outside of phone numbers 3 digit grouping, especially in prices, is standard. The only differentiators are the character used (, or .)
11/02/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Lylirra
Many countries within those regions use different decimal styles, so unfortunately it's not as simple as making it "region-specific." Also, making a change apply to only one region and not another isn't always ideal or an available option.

How about you take thousand separator settings from Windows Regional Settings?
Can do what I've seen other games do and color code the text as specific values are inserted.

1 - 999: White
1,000 - 99,999: Cyan
100,000 - 999,999: Green
1,000,000 - 9,999,999: Yellow
10,000,000 - 99,999,999: Orange
100,000,000+: Red

Granted, I personally see red anytime you'd hit the Yellow bracket on expenses. >.>
1 000 000
Spaces.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]