Diablo® III

Commas when listing items

(Locked)

ya i had some guy give me 1,400,000 gold the other day for an item when I was only asking for 140,000. I didn't realize it for a while and then I couldn't remember his name :/
Because of my awesome, genius-level intellect, I am actually able to understand that 1.000.000 and 1,000,000 are the same number. This is despite the fact that I grew up using the format of "1,000,000".

So use either one and it will work for me.

Or, just let us type in either commas or periods or question marks or whatever and have the AH ignore the punctuation on our input.
Just found this conversation, and had a question (didn't read all posts)
Is there a game feature that allows a change in language? Say, if you live in France and you want the game in French you change the game to that language? Is it possible for the amounts listed in the AH, and elsewhere, to change with the language selection?
11/02/2012 12:22 PMPosted by Keybz
Umm only the USA uses decimials.. the rest of the world uses comma's.. so i would say use commas

No... I'll bet you $5,607.45 the USA uses commas to separate hundred's from thousand's and thousand's from million's and so on. While they use decimals to signify an amount less than a whole number or whole unit.
Hey guys, this discussion is getting a little out of hand. =/ If you want to figuratively shoot the messenger (that being me), that's fine, but let's please try to keep the conversation as civil as possible.

Also, it looks some of my follow up posts may have been missed in the excitement, so I'm going to quickly reiterate a few points:

- We agree with your feedback and want to make it easier for players to tell the difference between 1000000 and 10000000.

- We have considered simply adding spaces.

- We have also considered just adding commas, since it's what the auction house already uses.

- We didn't originally add commas to begin with, because we were concerned about regional differences and didn't fully realize how not having separations would impact players. That may have been the wrong call, but we're looking to amend it.

please do ur best cause its bad when u make a mistake esp u dont notice it if u are tired from farming all day in d3... mistakes happen a lot and this just helps so much having commas
11/02/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Lylirra

♥♥♥
11/02/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Lylirra
We didn't originally add commas to begin with, because we were concerned about regional differences and didn't fully realize how not having separations would impact players. That may have been the wrong call, but we're looking to amend it.

in english a . is used. So making it "." is the best solution as english is the international language.
Of all the things to complain about. Man, you guys are !@#$en stupid. 6 0's with a 1 infront = 1mil. If you can't decipher the rest, or have trouble with counting altogether, then doublecheck the item you posted in the auction tab. You have 5 minutes to cancel it.

%^-*en idiots.
11/02/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Nanaki
in english a . is used. So making it "." is the best solution as english is the international language.

please explain what you mean.

11/02/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Hewwos
Of all the things to complain about. Man, you guys are !@#$en stupid. 6 0's with a 1 infront = 1mil. If you can't decipher the rest, or have trouble with counting altogether, then doublecheck the item you posted in the auction tab. You have 5 minutes to cancel it.

you're right, but also wrong because you fail to take into account different scenarios
e.g. trade windows.
There is a script that is being used which can delete a zero in the in-game trade window. This happens almost instantaneously, and is very hard to perceive when trading for 10Mgold+ items.
Edited by badatthis#6852 on 11/2/2012 3:04 PM PDT
Just use commas. The players in others regions already know what commas mean considering it's what the AH uses already!
Hey guys, this discussion is getting a little out of hand. =/ If you want to figuratively shoot the messenger (that being me), that's fine, but let's please try to keep the conversation as civil as possible.

Also, it looks some of my follow up posts may have been missed in the excitement, so I'm going to quickly reiterate a few points:

- We agree with your feedback and want to make it easier for players to tell the difference between 1000000 and 10000000.

- We have also considered just adding commas, since it's what the auction house already uses.

- We didn't originally add commas to begin with, because we were concerned about regional differences and didn't fully realize how not having separations would impact players. That may have been the wrong call, but we're looking to amend it.

Isn't there an achievement in D3 where a player can literally shoot you messengers, gamewise that is?

I played a turn based MMORPG made by a French company who uses dots (.) as separators on all their servers even for the US community and I've never seen a single complaint that they are not commas or that it was confusing. Give people some credit guys, if the client puts whatever separator in to the right places automatically there is not a person on the planet who will not understand what is going on. The AH already shows starting bid and buyouts with the commas in place so how on EARTH could you possibly believe it would cause a problem?!?

Sorry but on this one I have to believe you're just trying to dance your way out of dropping the ball.

Fix it already. It's not rocket science and we have been complaining about it since day one.

%^-*en idiots.

You're wrong, there are plenty of reasons to have separators in place. Why do you think every culture on the PLANET already uses some form of separator in numbers?

As far as the "5 minutes to cancel" you're dead wrong there too. Yes the popup tells you your item will be searchable in 5 minutes but items are listed instantly in most cases, I sold an SoJ in less than two minutes from hitting the button and I've tested it by listing an item and then searching for it and it was there in WELL under 5 minutes.
Edited by shreloche#1427 on 11/2/2012 3:09 PM PDT
auction tab already uses commas.

so what's the point of this comma/decimal dilemma?
11/02/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Nanaki

In Europe and other English-speaking regions not in North America, yes a period is used to separate hundreds and thousands.

In North America, however, a comma is used instead.

North America: 7,545.85
Other areas: 5.789,58

However that isn't a set guideline and many areas vary.
Edited by Iconography#1162 on 11/2/2012 3:10 PM PDT
11/02/2012 02:33 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
I think we may have chased CMs back into hiding again.

While this may be true, some questions we raise could easily be a thank you and we will keep you posted.

Defending the current system only allows for people to ridicule blizz oversight.

You cant portray that you put significant thought into the current system and that you are having all these discussions about where to go from here. Instead of coming off as helpful it makes the team look incompetent.
Ive nev had an issue with this, always double check on big items to make sure price is right, hell i even cancelled items because i was a lil unsure i hit the correct digits. Never screwed myself once.

But since people are, id say give each region their norm.

Meaning in america give the commas
Even in asia i know they like using 1kk let them type in that if it makes it easier for them.

Seems like the fairest thing to do. But i just want to play again :( 5 days and counting.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]