Diablo® III

Commas when listing items

(Locked)

One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).

Im sorry but this is just LOLAGE material right here and also insulting at the same time.

Im sure your player base have the intellect to distinguish that 1.000.000 and 1,000,000 is the same? Or maybe not.

I think this so called dilemma proves what blizzard thinks of its player base, which is _____ (afraid of another ban)?

Im not a retard.
Edited by chess#1900 on 11/2/2012 3:10 PM PDT
View profile
11/02/2012 03:02 PMPosted by Roadblock
Isn't there an achievement in D3 where a player can literally shoot you messengers, gamewise that is?

There's an achievement for killing Jay Wilson in development hell. Also one pertaining to Bashiok but I'm not sure of the criteria.
View profile

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

This is the biggest bull!@#$ response, ever.

Nothing sells for a fraction of a gold.

1,500,000 would obviously mean ONE MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND and not ONE POINT FIVE (with five unnecessary zeros). Give Europeans some credit.
11/02/2012 01:50 PMPosted by Yunnypuff

Hire this guy.

You can do that. But not all countries divide their numbers up in groups of 3's :) So you're kind of back at the same problem. For your edutainment:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19455-01/806-0169/overview-9/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark#Digit_grouping

For example, in various countries (e.g., China, India, and Japan), there have been traditional conventions of grouping by 2 or 4 digits. These conventions are still observed in some contexts, although the 3-digit group convention is also well known and often used.
They could group them in 2's, 3's or 4's. The issue is still solved as it makes it easier to count the number of zeros or whatever digits you decide to use.
1 00 00 00
1 000 000
100 0000
I'd take any of the above as I can easily see there are six zeros in the number
Of all the things to complain about. Man, you guys are !@#$en stupid. 6 0's with a 1 infront = 1mil. If you can't decipher the rest, or have trouble with counting altogether, then doublecheck the item you posted in the auction tab. You have 5 minutes to cancel it.

%^-*en idiots.

This would be the first guy trying to burn blizz headquarters down if he lost 90m on a buyout cuz he punched in 10m instead of 100m.

If this is not an issue for you then rest easy knowing this is not a concern. I never had a problem spotting legendaries on drop but I didn't get on the forums and burn all the WW barbs leaving legendaries behind. And through it all I never pretended that because it wasn't an issue for me, that it didn't affect other people playing the game.

Incredibly egocentric comment if you ask me.
This thread proves that people will complain about anything given the chance. The only thing I want to complain about is the fact that I haven't found any good items in over a week. However I'm feeling lucky today, time will tell!
auction tab already uses commas.

so what's the point of this comma/decimal dilemma?

It does where it shows bid/buyout on the listings themselves but not when you go to list the item nor are there any separators in the trade interface, that is where the complaints come from.
really??? what systems do your programmers use?
its considered pretty much standard and basic programming to use windows api
to read users "region and language/formats" settings from control panel :rolleyes:
this is all you need for casual players

why invent the wheel right?
you can pretty much pull everything necessary from there,
-digit grouping for both currency and numbers
-digit grouping symbols
-decimal symbols

oh yea and also date/time formatting in ah log,
its highly confusing seeing "us date format" instead
of local formatting users are used to (you know organized logically from the most to the least significant or least to the most significant but never mixed order)
Edited by Grave#2119 on 11/2/2012 3:35 PM PDT

You can do that. But not all countries divide their numbers up in groups of 3's :) So you're kind of back at the same problem. For your edutainment:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19455-01/806-0169/overview-9/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark#Digit_grouping

They could group them in 2's, 3's or 4's. The issue is still solved as it makes it easier to count the number of zeros or whatever digits you decide to use.
1 00 00 00
1 000 000
100 0000
I'd take any of the above as I can easily see there are six zeros in the number

Why make ridiculous suggestions such as this when separators of some form (commas, dots) have been used the planet over for HOW LONG?!?

it's an AMERICAN GAME

make players from other countries learn instead of playing it off by saying "oh it might confuse a small percentage of our playerbase"

Just like the metric system amirite?
90 Night Elf Druid
does it really matter decimal or comma? anything would be better then nothing. blizzard will take 3 months to theory craft whats is better when no one really cares.

and this is why we dont have pvp
Edited by Deathwish#1476 on 11/2/2012 3:42 PM PDT
We're not shooting the messenger. We're shooting the message

Half of em were just shooting the message, the other half were shooting Lylirra. Caps (Ie yelling) directed at her message like it was her fault = shooting the messenger. She's here to help direct proper feedback to the developers, a little respect would be great. Not shooting you btw, saying the others that were doing that - thought I'd disclaimer that. ;)
can you even sell anything on the GAH for <1g?

if not, i don't see how using a . or , would make a difference.

since the value cannot go lower than 1g there is no need to represent .00-.99 correctly...

RMAH yes, but they already have a separation system in place...

so idk if it's just me...but that answer from the blue makes no sense...or maybe i just woke up and am not thinking clearly...
I know this doesn't solve the problem of not having commas implemented in the game, but if you really want to be sure you can type in something like this (12345678) to count your zeros. Now if you are worried that you item with only sell for 10000000 or something like that this might be a problem (or you can use 10234567 or 9234567). I know that I would be happy buying most items I buy at either of those prices if I was willing to way 10M.

Just thought I would throw that out there and hope it helps someone, although I agree that some spacing would definitely help!
View profile
Hey guys, this discussion is getting a little out of hand. =/ If you want to figuratively shoot the messenger (that being me), that's fine, but let's please try to keep the conversation as civil as possible.

Also, it looks some of my follow up posts may have been missed in the excitement, so I'm going to quickly reiterate a few points:

- We agree with your feedback and want to make it easier for players to tell the difference between 1000000 and 10000000.

- We have considered simply adding spaces.

- We have also considered just adding commas, since it's what the auction house already uses.

- We didn't originally add commas to begin with, because we were concerned about regional differences and didn't fully realize how not having separations would impact players. That may have been the wrong call, but we're looking to amend it.

Ya see....this is what bothers me about so many posters on Bnet. IMO Blizz goes above and beyond to communicate with the player-base and has repeatedly implemented our suggestions.

Yet there is always this angry contingent forming a mob, with no other aim than to attack Blizz for doing what most software companies would never even bother to do. They're only human and mistakes are made. Blizz corrects their mistakes where other companies count their cash and leave it be.
I don't care about the auction house so much but commas for the trade window is a must. It's a huge pita to count out the zeroes when someone is paying you for some item. Everything just blurs together so I tend to use a pencil or something to help keep track =\.

~~~~

Also, this explains why I grew up (1st few grades...) using full-stops for commas then had to switch to using commas for commas when I moved to this region. Never really thought of it - I though my teachers were stupid or something :P.
Simple solution: Allow spaces when punching in a number rather than relying on commas or periods to avoid confusion.

I want to throw something up for 10 million gold?

10 000 000

DONE.

Agree 100%.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]