Diablo® III

[Guide] Budget Guide: 100K DPS/400K EHP Monk

Very2 good guide for new monks, i hope below 50k dps monk will be extinct after reading ur guide, medium low gear is dirt cheap now.
Reply Quote
While I only skimmed the entire guide, I think you missed the point of the state of end-game D3 right now - farming low level MP at max movement speed. (After getting a Hellfire ring of course) This only requires 50-60k dps, some spirit regen, and face-rolling. Doing higher MP is in-efficent, not worth the gear investment, and god only know what they have in mind for PvP and how to gear for that. (PvP Power affix?)

But yea good guide for 1.04.

If you think you're farming MP2 with 50k dps at the same rate as someone who has double your DPS, I've got a bridge to sell you.
Reply Quote
While I only skimmed the entire guide, I think you missed the point of the state of end-game D3 right now - farming low level MP at max movement speed. (After getting a Hellfire ring of course) This only requires 50-60k dps, some spirit regen, and face-rolling. Doing higher MP is in-efficent, not worth the gear investment, and god only know what they have in mind for PvP and how to gear for that. (PvP Power affix?)

But yea good guide for 1.04.

If you think you're farming MP2 with 50k dps at the same rate as someone who has double your DPS, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Duly noted about what Davlok describes as the new 1.0.5 endgame. But I think what 1.0.5 presents players are different ways to play the end-game. What you describe as speed-farming is probably what's happening a lot. For me, it would bore me to tears and I'd learn to hate the game very quickly if that's how I spend my time. I need a game that mentally stimulates me, not a big grind. I'd probably split my time between farming and playing high levels just to keep me on my toes. I think the potential diversity in playing styles and purposes might be what makes Monster Power a valuable addition to D3.

But thanks to the folks who gave me such kind feedback earlier as well. It means a lot to me when it's coming from the segment of the monk population that I'd consider "the uber monks" of D3.
Reply Quote
i just read this entire article and decided to spend all my money at the auction house (a whopping 2.5 mil) and just from this i have increased my dmg about 17k plus my resistance increased about 200 points. Thank you very much for putting this out there because its helping an aweful lot
Reply Quote
I'm nor sure 50m can be considered a budget build. I've never had anywhere near that much gold. I think I've spent about 10m cumulative on my gear. Granted, I found a good portion of it, though.
Edited by MensoDummy#1398 on 11/8/2012 7:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/08/2012 07:06 AMPosted by bdbbdbss
i just read this entire article and decided to spend all my money at the auction house (a whopping 2.5 mil) and just from this i have increased my dmg about 17k plus my resistance increased about 200 points. Thank you very much for putting this out there because its helping an aweful lot

You're welcome. I'm glad that you have been able to make such significant improvements on your monk with so little gold! Keep us posted as you move along... I'm going to start another thread soon (unless someone beats me to the punch) for people to discuss their experiences with the ideas that I shared in this thread. Please remember that favour I asked in the top of the thread if you have the chance. Thanks! :)

11/08/2012 07:39 AMPosted by MensoDummy
I'm nor sure 50m can be considered a budget build. I've never had anywhere near that much gold. I think I've spent about 10m cumulative on my gear. Granted, I found a good portion of it, though.

Congratulations on the awesome finds. Yeah, I'm not sure what "budget build" is like, but I think this could be considered "budget" when compared to some monks who look like they have poured 50M into their gear and find themselves with 40K dps and each upgrade to look like an unsurmountable mountain to climb over (with the cost of gear that they need to achieve the goal)

In my experience, it was actually cheap for me to get to 72K dps -- I only put out 23M of gold, and I used one drop and even that, I had some overvalued crap that I had from my last gearing attempt that I ended up selling for a fraction of the price I paid. Total value of my gear was probably estimated to be about 43M (not including gems). Then I put in another 5M to get up to 78K dps, I think. And then over a 36 hour span, I dumped ~19M into gear to improve 22K dps to push it up to 100K dps and do it without losing any of my defence. I found that last 10K dps to be the most expensive to upgrade, as the gear that I needed to do it was not in as ready of a supply as the others so with such few options, I had to pay more than I wanted and break some of my AH rules to do so. Regardless, I'm happy with the results.

Thanks for your feedback though. I appreciate and invite more from readers. :)
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/8/2012 7:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
Very nice read Nameless!! You used more then enough words lol. Good job though for sure!

Since hitting the 100k mark and having 3% LS, I've found having 175.4 LPSS (Transendence Passive included in that value) is a very nice way to tank some harder MP lvl's. I used to use MoH/ToN, but now only use MoC/Overawe. Having 4pc Inna's set lets me use SW without worrying about my spirit and using more for my mantra.

Basically with MP5-6, you can sit and tank elites and every 3sec hit MoC to keep up +48% extra damage, and every 3sec with 175 LPSS, your getting 9k HP at the same time. In those 3sec you usuallly build up the 50 spirit you used and it's a non stop cycle.

Not many monks I've seen like to use LPSS or Transendece, but now it's a MUST in my book.

For a good / cheap wep to look for, find a fist that has 2.8-3% LS and over 60 LPSS with OS. Those are pretty cheap. I was lucky enough to find one with 3%, 63.4 LPSS, 62% CD, but only 735dps for only 2mil. This weapon is my go to for fighting Ubers in MP6-8 and can just sit there and tank ghom or siege in MP7 without even having to press serenity.

Can't wait to get a Echo with LS, and maybe CD on it as well, but so dame expensive right now and I don't have 1bil to drop :) was lucky enough to find the Echo I have in Act2 with 87% MF patch 1.04.

Thanks for the read, and good work putting it together.
Hambone
Reply Quote
TENWGGBM ... Love it! XD

I wish I had a larger block of time, as I'd love to comment on many of the sections/topics you've presented, but just wanted to pop in and say I think you've put together a pretty good guide here. I'm no uber monk, but I resonate with a lot of your findings.

You've included some great, integral information on creating a strong, balanced monk, and this could be a valuable source to SO many. I hope a lot of monks see this.

I'm down with your monk philosophy :)
Reply Quote
BTW, I've been giving thought to your Q3 above. I need to put together some thoughts and I'll post it later in the day. Some initial thoughts is that I think that I read that in Morionic's opinion LpSS is actually the endgame life sustain of choice. I might be wrong on this, but regardless, I'm beginning to think about the power behind LpSS, and how LpSS might be horrendously undervalued, and why the monk I am writing about in this guide might consider dropping LS and pick up LpSS (or at least, use LpSS to supplement LS). I might do this myself very soon to do some testing once I have some gold. If someone wants to fund my testing, I'll accept donations or a loan! :) More on this later.

I have been a fan of LpSS from the beginning. It is a truly great stat and pretty damn cheap compared to the alternatives. i switch my build when I am having trouble to STI, OwE, and Trans. That trans mixed with the 60 LpSS I have on my Won Kim Lau makes my mantra a pretty massive heal when in trouble. ANd I only paid 800k for that WKL (~900dps, 54CD, 60 LpSS, 130 dex i think, my profile hasn't updated and I don't remember off the top of my head. Not to mention the insane unaccounted for dps boost due to WKL Lightning dmg bonus).

So if you can find LpSS on a weapon and a helm, consider taking those items because they are well worth it.
Reply Quote
I just want to say that it means a lot to get this kind of positive feedback from the uber monks that I have and continue to look up to as I continue to move up the ranks (albeit slowly... a lot of RL responsibiilties are getting in the way of my D3!) and was totally not expecting it. So thank you.

And to the conversation about LpSS... this is awesome feedback and I will be including it in my last reserved section to highlight certain posts so that people can find good information without having to comb through the whole thread if it gets too long.

You guys are giving me some great food for thought and I'm actively looking for a good LpSS weapon now to test out some ideas. Sadly, I'm short on gold so I need to make some sales in AH and put in a little elbow grease and farm away when I have time.

Please keep the comments flowing. It's been so helpful for me to think some of these things through. And it might also keep the thread up near the top so that the people who "need" to read it can see it.
Reply Quote
Bump for being a great guide -- thank you! :D
Reply Quote
greetings back from EU =)

very nice guide, well written, covers alot of stuff and very thoroughly.
enlights the background behind certain points with spotlights. my "small budget guide" kinda just gives data aka "eat it up".
eventho EU and US economies are different from the quantities of items avaible and therefore the pricing, so our playgroungs are different, but the principles of building a proper monk gearset remain... and we totally think alike on that.

thumbs up dude, gj!
Reply Quote
Nameless. I just snagged another good one on AH a little while ago. I keep getting them and handing them out to friends. If you would like to buy for trying purpose's, I'd be more then willing to sell to you.

843dps
493-712 dam
1.40 APS
+295 min
+172 max
+27% dam
+119dex
2.8% LS
58.7 LPSS
OS

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt307/Hambone07si/GrislyFall.jpg

These are golden IMO, with a Echo in the other hand

I stole this one basically and sniped at the last 10sec for 1.2mil, you can have for what I paid if you would like to test with. Last one of these I snagged for 27k and traded for a pair of Inna's pants for a friend. This will sell for 2mil easy buyout when your done also.

Add me in game if your interested :)
Edited by Hambone07si#1580 on 11/8/2012 10:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Gremlin - thanks for the props, dude. Yes, I think we totally think alike, which is why I had to reference your guide in my post. You're doing some great things there too! :)

@Hambone07si - Oh man, thanks so much for your kind offer. Upon first glance, it might represent too much of a DPS loss for me (although it's only really whatever 60% CD would give me), but might be worth testing out as I run through lower MP levels. Y'know what... I'll add you in-game later tonight and we'll chat. I'd love to get something with come built-in crit hit dmg with those stats, but I think the prices for those would be sky high even if they do exist. :P
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/8/2012 11:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
ill buy it for stated price :D
Reply Quote
For sure man, you can add me and we'll talk, or run a match or so.

Ones with LS,LPSS,CD,and OS do exist, see my off hand :)

Yeah it's only 735dps but 62% CD with 100% gem makes it a good fist to have for tanking mp6-7 ubers for myself. I got a good deal on it and will never let this one go. I've seen a few like it hit AH and they are asking over 50mil and that's crazy. I got mine for only 5 mil.

I'll be home in 1hr from now. Around 3:45pm EST and will be playing for a while if you're down. Got 3 machines as well :)
Edited by Hambone07si#1580 on 11/8/2012 11:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/08/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Hambone07si
Yeah it's only 735dps but 62% CD with 100% gem makes it a good fist to have for tanking mp6-7 ubers for myself. I got a good deal on it and will never let this one go. I've seen a few like it hit AH and they are asking over 50mil and that's crazy. I got mine for only 5 mil.

5 mil?! Oh my gosh. Yeah, I'd never let go of that one go too. I'll add you in game. Unfortunately, the earliest I can get in a game will likely be well after 10pm EST tonight and even then, I might be way too tired. I'll add you and we'll figure out a time to play.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/8/2012 12:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
Great guide.

I am curious how you can do higher MP levels with low sustain. My hidden damage, stun procs, and sustain would seem to be more effective than the extra DPS you have. I am really only doing well at MP5, when I go above that some of the harder hitting mobs just start to own me and I cannot get um down fast enough, especially with moltan.

How are you doing on higher MPs?
Reply Quote
Great guide.

I am curious how you can do higher MP levels with low sustain. My hidden damage, stun procs, and sustain would seem to be more effective than the extra DPS you have. I am really only doing well at MP5, when I go above that some of the harder hitting mobs just start to own me and I cannot get um down fast enough, especially with moltan.

How are you doing on higher MPs?

I'll be honest. I have no idea. I wrote this guide as I was upgrading my monk, and waited until my monk hit the 100K dps monk before dropping it. While I know I have a pretty solid monk, I haven't had the chance to really test it because I basically did my last round of upgrades (on 3 items which cost me a total of ~19M gold + an upgrade on my weapon emeralds from 80% to 90% gems) that increased my DPS by 22K from ~78K dps to 100K dps within a span of 36 hours and haven't had a chance to really play since that time because of RL. I honestly don't know my monk any more and haven't figured out the best way of playing, how to make necessary adjustments to playing higher MP levels (in terms of my builds). My estimate on playing levels is based on a quick run-through after getting to this mark.

So yeah, I can't answer the question because I honestly don't know. Hopefully, I'll have a better idea by the end of the weekend.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/8/2012 12:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/08/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Nameless
So yeah, I can't answer the question because I honestly don't know. Hopefully, I'll have a better idea by the end of the weekend.

You might find yourself lowering your DPS for more sustain like I did. I drifted towards the legendaries for their hidden damage and double chance on proc rates (see my 5.6% stun MH fist). I spent around 35m so far on this iteration of my monk, and have gone as high as 80k and as low as 40k to test multiple build types at multiple MP levels.

I found quite a range of successes and failures. I have used just about every build type for several key runs to guage their effectiveness. I have tried a 2-h TR build.

What I found was that I needed multiple types of sustain in higher MP levels. I really need some LS to take advantage of SW damage, but so far have not gotten something that offers the reward of the WKL and FOA combo. I am probably going to drop the CD on my AZ or WKL if I can find one with LS and then try to make up for the loss of CD somewhere. It will be rough.

My main joy with my current gear is the ease that I take down rares and bosses. My main issue is Moltan/Frozen/Arcane or any combo with Reflect. Not having a good time with that. I need LS bad for reflect.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]