Diablo® III

[Guide] Budget Guide: 100K DPS/400K EHP Monk

Okay, I just briefly tested out my new fist in MP5 -- it was a level I was previously having some problems with. Mostly because I didn't know what impact the last 20K dps increase had on my monk so I didn't adjust properly when playing MP5.

Let me just say. LpSS is rocking my world and allowed me to melt through some elite packs like it was nothing. I still died because I wasn't sure about the impact of the explosions of some of the monsters, so I was stupid for not moving my feet. But yeah, having LS and LpSS in one fist is not too expensive, and so effective. I love being able to recover 5K health with each mantra spam (I was using the transcendance passive). I will have to add a section to address this. I can't believe I only paid 2M for my OH fist.

Maybe Gremlin is right... I should see what I can do a level or two up. :)

Thanks to all who have pushed for LpSS. It's time for me to hunt for a better OH weapon with higher LpSS. I don't think I'm going back to just LS. :)
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/9/2012 12:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
I knew you would like it. Now if you step up your LPSS to where I'm at 175.4 or close too, mantra spam in 9k and really make's the difference. Look for a Inna's head like mine with around 40 lpss or so. I got the one I have on now for only 2.5mil the other day.

2mil fist like that FTW :)

sad thing is that a bunch of fists like that were probably vendor'd cuz people seen only 750dps or so :(
Edited by Hambone07si#1580 on 11/9/2012 12:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
I knew you would like it. Now if you step up your LPSS to where I'm at 175.4 or close too, mantra spam in 9k and really make's the difference. Look for a Inna's head like mine with around 40 lpss or so. I got the one I have on now for only 2.5mil the other day.

2mil fist like that FTW :)

sad thing is that a bunch of fists like that were probably vendor'd cuz people seen only 750dps or so :(

I dunno if I can quite do that (Inna's head) right now. Maybe after I pick up more defence as compensation for my +armor loss, I might. My goal right now is to get my armor up to 6K without sacrifice to anything else. As I've written in my guide, i think gold is far better spent on damage mitigation than sustain if given the choice (such as the one you are pointing out with Inna's head. Higher LpSS on weapons is a different story.

Time to look for nice LpSS on MH with similar stats.

EDIT:
Holy crap, the only fists available with stats similar to my fist with LpSS are the shenlongs, and they are minimum 60M. Okay then. Maybe not as undervalued as I thought. I'll just keep looking, I guess.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/9/2012 12:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
lol, yeah weps like this can be quite expensive and then you'll find some for as low as 20k if your lucky like I did. Shenlongs are pretty expensive for the nice ones. Just keep looking everyday and you'll find one you like for a good deal. It may have not been dropped yet :)
Reply Quote
Noob monk here, what is OWE and STI?
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 05:27 AMPosted by Xzsh4dowzX
Noob monk here, what is OWE and STI?

OWE - One With Everything passive, allows you to stack one resistance in your monk and essentially makes that primary resistance an all res. It's the most powerful passive in the monk's skill set, and people in the community are freaking out about the potential for a nerf in the near future

STI - Seize the Initiative -- a passive that takes your 1/2 your total dex, and adds it as armor. IT was oncd 100%, but the good folks at blizz decided to nerf it for 1.0.5
Reply Quote
Ty :)
Reply Quote
Just wanted to say that I really appreciate your excellent guide. It helped me get over a pretty frustrating gear stagnation. I was using tons of all res gear and was dying a fair bit, but all my upgrades on the AH were way over my budget.

I tried avoiding OWE for a long time because I figured it would eventually get nerfed. After finding your guide I decided to go with it - jumped around 10k dps, 200 AR, and am now easily sweeping what was giving me a hard time the day before, all without losing much gold at all. (I think I lost 1m gold total after buying new/selling old)

Also coincidental that lightning res was cheaper than others :P
Edited by Sicyo#1617 on 11/10/2012 9:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yea, LpSS is the !@#$ isn't it.

Personally, I would actually opt for LpSS on your weapons only just because the Inna's Helm can have good Damage Reduction rolls such as +armor/resistance together, where as looking for LpSS will only allow for res or +armor. But I guess that depends on how much damage reduction you have on your other pieces.

There's 2 really great LpSS fists on the AH right now, one that just came up with 180+dex and vit, with 700LOH and 50LpSS(bidding at 3m) and another with 180dex 750 LOH and 50LpSS both with sockets. I've been watching the latter one for days as the B/O was 35m and the owner keeps lowering the price as no one is purchasing it, currently down to 28m. Would love to get my hands on one of those. Both are going to disappear after this post lol.

A majority of Shenlongs are horribly over priced atm, its insane.
Reply Quote
hamaydoinitright hamay hamay? :)

*PS - thanks for the well written post. this is what starter monks need not an e-peen contest of 200k dps with 3k armor and 25k health
Edited by Nicothology#1350 on 11/11/2012 2:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
Personally, I would actually opt for LpSS on your weapons only just because the Inna's Helm can have good Damage Reduction rolls such as +armor/resistance together, where as looking for LpSS will only allow for res or +armor. But I guess that depends on how much damage reduction you have on your other pieces.

This is exactly the kind of thought process I think a lot of monks should be thinking, so thanks for sharing. I think I want to put out a separate post at some point next week advocating for damage mitigation over sustain for most monks until such point their defence is considered adequate. Too many of the times, I think that people are constructing glass cannon monks thinking that sustain will actually substitute for good defence. And then they get one shot in higher levels and chalk it up to not having enough sustain so they are on the never-ending quest for more LoH, since LS is limited to just weapons. I hope something can be done with regards to this kind of thinking in the monk community.

So thanks for pointing this out. And thanks to the previous comments for your support of my guide. I know it's very long, but I didn't know how to explain the ideas without writing as much as I did. Just knowing that people actually read through to the end and post their support affirms the idea that many monks are actually willing to read if the material is good enough. Thank you.
Reply Quote

I tried avoiding OWE for a long time because I figured it would eventually get nerfed.

I didn't bother with double-stacking resistances as well, because I do not like having a "mandatory" passive. Also, it feels like a very big risk to me in a game that is consistently being updated with new patches.

However this means that I am stuck with "mandatory" skills. I have to use a mostly defensively oriented skill set. Sigh..
Edited by JabberWocky#6500 on 11/11/2012 5:14 AM PST
Reply Quote

I tried avoiding OWE for a long time because I figured it would eventually get nerfed.

I did bother with double-stacking resistances as well, because I do not like having a "mandatory" passive. Also, it feels like a very big risk to me in a game that is consistently being updated with new patches.

However this meant that I am stuck with "mandatory" skills. I have to use a mostly defensively oriented skill set. Sigh..

I think you are doing your monk a horrible disservice right now, because this decision is preventing you from joining the higher ranks, possibly ever because it will inhibit your ability to generate income in the present. It may keep you forever in the poorhouse, unless you decide to drop a tonne of money in RMAH. I've updated my guide and added a section at the very end to address this. Please read this here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005435708?page=1#9

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Truly, I appreciate it. I hope we, as a monk community, can grow together and make the monk the truly desirable class it should be.
Reply Quote
Regarding LAEK,

I actually think this is a junk stat. I know, this is the general assumption, and it has some flaws, but hear me out, I actually have a reasoning for it beyond "hey, every other sustain is better". So, getting a ton of life back on every kill _is_ good. You get a ton of kills in this game as compared to Diablo 1 & 2, esp. in Act 3. The problem with LAEK is that you already get a ton of life from kills (and to a lesser extent, damage) from health globes. Pretty much every third mob is going to pop out a healthglobe that will do massive amounts of healing.

So LAEK is basically another form of health globes or another version of +health globes, which is another affix we don't want replacing really strong affixes like trifecta, or main stat, or possibly main sustain if you need it. I'd rather have more DPS to bring those globes faster than more spiky healing on kills that come slower.

This is exactly the kind of thought process I think a lot of monks should be thinking, so thanks for sharing. I think I want to put out a separate post at some point next week advocating for damage mitigation over sustain for most monks until such point their defence is considered adequate. Too many of the times, I think that people are constructing glass cannon monks thinking that sustain will actually substitute for good defence. And then they get one shot in higher levels and chalk it up to not having enough sustain so they are on the never-ending quest for more LoH, since LS is limited to just weapons. I hope something can be done with regards to this kind of thinking in the monk community.

Unfortunately this is in large part a problem with the game (and hence Blizzard), not so much one with the monk community. The defensive changes in the last patch dropped our armor down so far that attaining the survivability of a low-tier barbarian is either outright impossible, or requires best-in-slot gear that substitutes +armor on every piece for other, just as essential stats.

Go into a group with Warcry and things start to feel a little more manageable, but you're still in comparison much squishier than someone of another class with the same gear. The only other class I feel really bad for is demon hunters, and it's no coincidence that they share the same (broken) type of mitigation, in the form of Dexterity and Dodge. Take that broken mitigation, throw in a melee class that has to tank (arguably more than the Barbarian, who generally attains immunity to CC and zero unit collision), and you have really bad class mechanics for survivability. It doesn't surprise me at all that everyone is plumping for sustain. The alternative is just too impractical.
Edited by Zeriel#1544 on 11/11/2012 7:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'm having a really hard time giving up 12% movement speed on boots. I have Inna's Temperance on top of them so I maintain 24%. I can definitely gain EHP and dps from getting another pair without 12% MS but there's that downtime that I'm worried about. I'm also having trouble getting a new piece with Pickup Radius on it after replacing my belt.

Did you go through the same clingy feeling to 24% MS? I know in your guide you say MS is a luxury for young monks. I'm at the point where MP3 is pretty easy and I want to make the jump to MP4. My D3 profile is missing some stuff but I'm at 56838 dps and 379434 EHP.

Any advice/can you/others relate?

Thanks.
Edited by Sicyo#1617 on 11/11/2012 2:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
I wouldn't give up MS, personally.

The entire goal of this game is to farm as efficiently as possible ... and MS is a big part of that.
Reply Quote
I'm having a really hard time giving up 12% movement speed on boots. I have Inna's Temperance on top of them so I maintain 24%. I can definitely gain EHP and dps from getting another pair without 12% MS but there's that downtime that I'm worried about. I'm also having trouble getting a new piece with Pickup Radius on it after replacing my belt.

Did you go through the same clingy feeling to 24% MS? I know in your guide you say MS is a luxury for young monks. I'm at the point where MP3 is pretty easy and I want to make the jump to MP4. My D3 profile is missing some stuff but I'm at 56838 dps and 379434 EHP.

Any advice/can you/others relate?

My opinion of MS is that it's something that is very necessary for those who are farming well, who can essentially facetank a level without having to pay TOOOOO much attention. Most monks who are reading my guide are probably not doing that because of inadequate defense, low offence or both. For those folks, paying up for MS is not necessary because they aren't geared for the most basic of runs. Getting faster MS is another way of hastening their next death and gold is better off spent improving other aspects of their game.

If you are comfortably farming MP2 or MP3 (for me, there is a distinction between finding a level easy, and being able to farm a level), then yes... MS becomes a necessity because it's important to complete the run in the fastest amount of time possible and the more the better. Personally, I need more MS and I'm not sure when/how I'll be picking this up but for now, I'm using fleet footed on my farming runs, and transcendance in higher MP levels.

I actually think this is a junk stat. I know, this is the general assumption, and it has some flaws, but hear me out, I actually have a reasoning for it beyond "hey, every other sustain is better". So, getting a ton of life back on every kill _is_ good. You get a ton of kills in this game as compared to Diablo 1 & 2, esp. in Act 3. The problem with LAEK is that you already get a ton of life from kills (and to a lesser extent, damage) from health globes. Pretty much every third mob is going to pop out a healthglobe that will do massive amounts of healing.

So LAEK is basically another form of health globes or another version of +health globes, which is another affix we don't want replacing really strong affixes like trifecta, or main stat, or possibly main sustain if you need it. I'd rather have more DPS to bring those globes faster than more spiky healing on kills that come slower.

Good points. I'd just make a distinction between LAEK and +health globes because an often hidden affix with the health globes (if used as a form of sustain) is that you need an increased pickup radius to make this work, and that can come as a sacrifice in the form of defence (probably not much, but still...). If I had LAEK, then the life sustain would come after each kill -- whereas any use of health globes may not be of use to you at all if that kill happens halfway across the screen and you have no pickup radius.

LAEK however, is available on jewellery, and it may not come as a sacrifice to other offensive stats... it maybe more expensive and harder to find, but even if present, not something people would expect buyers to pay up for. For the SW/Cyclone monk, the cyclones and SW that kills white mobs will return life through LS AND LAEK for EACH death that's rather instant that does not require any more effort to get (unlike health globes).

I would never consider LAEK as a primary source of sustain, but just wondering about the efficacy of it as a secondary one that would seem, on the surface, come far more cheaply than LOH which everyone seems to want.

I do appreciate you sharing your thoughts. It gives me some food for thought. I may not have any actual informed opinion to this until I actually locate gear with this affix that works for my purposes to test.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the feedback Piffle & Nameless. I guess I'm further along than I thought. I'm just trying really hard to get into MP4 for more effective key farming. I don't know if dropping MS so that I can do that is worth it. As it stands I need to get dual res on boots belt, and probably bracers. Dual res boots with high dex/vit and movement speed are reeeeeally pricey.

I guess another way of putting it, is that I'm efficiently farming MP3, but producing results short of my desires. I've been farming Act 3 all day and only have one key to show for it. Sure I'm maybe 7m richer than I started the day, but I don't feel like I should try MP4 yet and I also don't have a key.
Edited by Sicyo#1617 on 11/11/2012 7:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
Great thread!! Props to the OP :) I will keep checking on this thread from time to time. Thx for making this guide..

Oh BTW, is your DPS/eHP calculator accurate? I've been looking for an offline excel spreadsheet for my DW monk. Thx again.
Edited by YupiWolf#1736 on 11/11/2012 8:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
The problem with Life after Kill is that it doesn't help you while you're actually fighting packs/ubers. And that's when you most need it. Mowing through white mobs isn't generally a problem.

Thanks for the feedback Piffle & Nameless. I guess I'm further along than I thought. I'm just trying really hard to get into MP4 for more effective key farming. I don't know if dropping MS so that I can do that is worth it. As it stands I need to get dual res on boots belt, and probably bracers. Dual res boots with high dex/vit and movement speed are reeeeeally pricey.

I guess another way of putting it, is that I'm efficiently farming MP3, but producing results short of my desires. I've been farming Act 3 all day and only have one key to show for it. Sure I'm maybe 7m richer than I started the day, but I don't feel like I should try MP4 yet and I also don't have a key.

I actually just farm MP2/3 for Act 3 keys because act 3 is the best for exp. For key runs on the other acts, I bump it up to 8. I would also say that there is nothing wrong with having two pairs of boots - one with MS for an act you can comfortably farm, and one without for key farming on higher MP. This is what I did before I got my Nat boots.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]