Diablo® III

[Guide] Budget Guide: 100K DPS/400K EHP Monk

Dps calc and armor are working perfectly now i think, thanks :)
Reply Quote
I wanted to pop in and say 'thanks' to Nameless for a fantastic guide. I think you've helped me articulate some of the considerations I've had trouble thinking through when gearing up, and it's giving me a clearer view of what I need to do. So, much thanks.
Reply Quote
Thanks for many of the kudos out there for the guide. It's nice to know that it's helping the monk community.

Just included old sections about OWE, LpSS and LAEK into body of main guide. Added TL;DR section to encapsulate the gearing philosophy of my whole guide.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/13/2012 11:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Hey how is it going,

Ive read your guide pretty thoroughly and have learned a lot from it. Unfortunately i think i was a little late in learning most of the stuff and seems like my gear is all over the place and i kinda dont know what to do. I want to increase my dps to 100k and i am at about 70k right now. That extra 30k seems like will make me re-gear my whole character. Any idea on how i should approach this . Here is a link to my profile http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MisTerNamez-1106/hero/146237. The head peace has been replaced with innas radiance, and the mace weapon has been replaced with a spear which higher damage with boosted me from 55 to 70k. I dont think that has been updated in my profile yet. The main problem i see if if i try to get the inna pants i loose a lot of resist from it, and same thing with nats boots and ring combo, i will probably loose around 150 resist if i replace those peaces. Any idea on which peaces i should replace to get me there. Thank in advance for your help.

Character link: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MisTerNamez-1106/hero/146237
Damage calculator link: http://theasiangamer.com/d3-damage-calculator/?!1hspfist60!11!135!621!1076!0!0!0!70!167!367!802!0!0!0!165!0!0!0!0!0!0!0!124!0!0!8!0!9.5!0!76!0!0!9!0!0!28!143!0!0!6!0!4.5!0!135!0!0!0!0!4.0!0!151!0!0!0!0!0!0!162!0!0!0!0!0!0!127!0!0!0!0!6.0!0!252!0!0!7!0!7.0!0!179!0!0!0!0!0!0!147!0!0!0!0!0!0!146!0!0!0!0!0!0!0!0!0!0!0!chty000000000000000000000chty0!0!0!0
Reply Quote
@MisterNamez --I appreciate your feedback and glad that you found this guide helpful.

I'd suggest that you take this post and ask like-minded monks to comment on your situation (what you are hoping to do, etc). You would probably get much better feedback this way (you'd just have to be able to discern helpful advice from not-so-helpful advice).

I would prefer not to do discuss specific situations in this thread, as I would like to use this primarily for feedback and to discuss ideas raised in my guide.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/13/2012 11:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Not a problem,

Ive posted the question in the monk page. Again thank you for a wonderful guide it was very helpful.

Misternamez
Reply Quote
700 resist 5k arm 100k dps for only 40m yeh maybe if u spend 5months in ah trying to find low cost
Edited by Ratk1ll3r#1144 on 11/13/2012 11:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 11:48 AMPosted by Sanjuro
Nice reply, I find my armor not that bad, I can resist allot of damage, and as I have LOH, that makes me pretty much immortal, lol. I can do MP 6 without problems, but to jump to higher MP levels I will need more DPS.

Haha... you tracked down my guide from my post in another forum. Awesome! I'm not sure what will happen as you go up levels... as incoming monster damage goes up, I'm not sure if those resists will hold up in order for your LoH to be effective. I have a feeling that a nice armor boost may do you some good to help with EHP. One thing I'm learning is that higher EHP makes for higher EDPS, which is probably what we all strive for anyway.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/13/2012 2:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hello, I wanted to compliment you on your rock solid guide. I was gonna write him off but I'm giving the Monk another shot and use this as a blueprint.

Do you have any recommended order of stat preference? Such as which are more important to you/the ones you'd trade off first if gear isn't permitting. And what are some common ratios to shoot for?

Your guide must have become pretty popular because the GAH is pretty much barren when looking for fists that resemble yours! Nice job!
Reply Quote
Hello, I wanted to compliment you on your rock solid guide. I was gonna write him off but I'm giving the Monk another shot and use this as a blueprint.

Do you have any recommended order of stat preference? Such as which are more important to you/the ones you'd trade off first if gear isn't permitting. And what are some common ratios to shoot for?

Your guide must have become pretty popular because the GAH is pretty much barren when looking for fists that resemble yours! Nice job!

Thanks for the feedback. I think the order of stat preference depends on which part of the monk you are gearing for. Common general targets are stated in the guide, but 5K armor (buffed), 7K AR (OWE), 35K HP are good things to try to maintain as best you can.

In my first run through, I'd not worry about dex too much... work on ChC, then IAS, then ChD for gloves and jewellery. In your subsequent passes, look for higher dex pieces while maintaining your EHP threshhold -- upgrades shouldn't be too expensive, and each dex will be more valuable when you are higher in those other areas.
Reply Quote
UPDATED with improved spreadsheet and corrections to some calculations with HP, EHP, DPS and more buffs in the blue section. Updates only applied to DW spreadsheet. I'll update the 2H one in time (but not my priority yet since I don't use 2h. 2H monks can update their sheets accordingly).
Reply Quote
This should be on the front page.
Reply Quote
Excellent information. I sure learned some things and I haven't even finished reading (at work :)) I'll complete on the weekend. Thanks for taking your time to write this up.
Reply Quote
Just wanted to thank u for this excellent read.

Played a monk since beta, and wish I would have known some of the stuff here earlier. I had to learn things the hard way (had made the mistake earlier sacrificing vit for offense and regretting it now)

Also, I am a huge proponent of LpSS, and find it very useful in a lot of situations. My LpSS is 122.6; this gives me 6130 life every time i spam my mantra (about once every 3 s). The only downside is that you cannot spam your spells when frozen (I recommend using dashing strike to avoid that) or under nightmarish effect (good luck with that). I thought perhaps it'd be useful to add that LpSS is essentially similar to having a burst heal with no cd when you spam your mantra. Because of that, the amount of life you have is also important - you don't want to die before you get a chance to spam your heals. This is something I'm finding very important now when I farm ubers with my friends at mp7 with only 26K life. :/ If I'm not careful I'll die to Maghda's arcane sentries or SK's walk easily.
Reply Quote
Just as I started reading this guide I noticed that you're "only" able to do MP5
(and even that requires some struggle).
Why is that?

I currently have 50m, so I can't do MP5-MP7 decently?
Reply Quote
good guide, but i am still thinking of what i can change to bring me up to 100k dps without foregoing hp and resis.

you question the number of legends i have (it is sort of against what you have been guiding), but what should i dump? i have no issues dumping legends if i can find better rares. but the existing legends i have are bought cos they appeared in my ah search criteria. apart from WKL which i searched for it specifically.
i am trying to find better inna's radiance with resis, inna's temperance for the +130 dex bonus which i have no luck so far since the pants are very ex.
i have been trying to find another amulet, but this 300 dex amulet is giving dps after doing comparisions than CC amulets i find on ah, and of cos another ring while i continue to get hellfire ring.
Reply Quote
Hi Nameless,
First, thanks for the guide, I believe it helps so many fellow monks. I have a question on choosing weapon for mainhand:

A 900 DPS 100 DEX, 90 CDMG, socket
VS
B 700 DPS 300 DEX, 90 CDMG, socket

I found that A and B gives the same paper dps, meaning 1 dmg = 1 dex rule is applicable ( more or less, not exact ). Yet people are still recommending A over B by much. Why?

DW Monk Status will be about
2000+ dex
40+ CC
400+ CDMG

FYI, created thread for the question addressed to public
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7198961867
Reply Quote
If, in paper, ur DPS is the same w/ both weapon, then go for B, for now. B will increase your armor for another 150, which is always good to have. Ppl recommend A because sheer weapon DPS will further boost your paper DPS if you somehow gain more CC & CD.
-----
On the other hand, I find this guide is very good, in the short term.

Personally, I aim for end-game gear, not some kind of cheap gear to boost my stat little by little. The cost of many upgrades > one end gear upgrade. And i'm not talking about some 2bil gear, just some thing that can enable you to be a nice member of a MP10 squad.

You can TR MP0-1, gain lvl, have good loot w/ ~2k5 armor, 300 AR, 30k HP & 80k DPS. So you don't need to think too much on choosing gear, a whole set of inna, a skorn, SOJ, cheapest vile ward, whatever 100k/pieces in other slot & u'r good to go.

So, if you want to build a budget monk, just shoot for a nice TR monk, save up money for real end game gear. It will benefit you better in the long run, doesn't it? 100k DPS w/ 400k eHP will not fit for anything >mp5 in coop.
Reply Quote
@vell

Between the two weapons you propose that give the same damage output, my first inclination is to go with the one with more dex, as it will increase armor and dodge.

Another consideration, though, would be the damage of your other (offhand) weapon. If they are too far apart in dps (say 1000 and 700), they will be rendered less effective, no?

Maybe Nameless will weigh in here. ;)
Edited by Bane#1244 on 11/25/2012 10:45 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]