Diablo® III

[Guide] Budget Guide: 100K DPS/400K EHP Monk

@vell

Between the two weapons you propose that give the same damage output, my first inclination is to go with the one with more dex, as it will increase armor and dodge.

Another consideration, though, would be the damage of your other (offhand) weapon. If they are too far apart in dps (say 1000 and 700), they will be rendered less effective, no?

Maybe Nameless will weigh in here. ;)

I would tend to agree... and then one more thing I would consider is that dex applies to all weapons (plus effect on dodge and armor), whereas the weapon damage only applies to the one weapon. While the net effect to the total DPS is the same, the issue becomes how you actually inflict your damage. As mentioned, when you DW weapons, you alternate weapons which is why it is generally advised that you get weapons that are close in weapon damage so that the damage is a bit more consistent. I'm also not sure whether some skills are calculated off of active weapon -- I think other posts may speak to this. Keeping it similar makes things more predictable.

In the end, it may also come down to cost. I would expect to find the high dex, low dps weapon to be cheaper in AH because people generally gravitate towards high DPS weapons. If you are budget conscious, you can allow price to influence your decision
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/26/2012 6:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
good guide, but i am still thinking of what i can change to bring me up to 100k dps without foregoing hp and resis.

you question the number of legends i have (it is sort of against what you have been guiding), but what should i dump? i have no issues dumping legends if i can find better rares. but the existing legends i have are bought cos they appeared in my ah search criteria. apart from WKL which i searched for it specifically.
i am trying to find better inna's radiance with resis, inna's temperance for the +130 dex bonus which i have no luck so far since the pants are very ex.
i have been trying to find another amulet, but this 300 dex amulet is giving dps after doing comparisions than CC amulets i find on ah, and of cos another ring while i continue to get hellfire ring.

To be honest, I have nothing against legendaries per se. My issue is that buyers might be buying into the legendary craze without careful consideration of overall impact of legendaries on rest of your gear. And for the budget monk, this can be a huge issue and may keep this monk in low dps / low effective health for a long longer than he has to be which can get extremely frustrating because you are staring at upgrades that will cost millions of gold you don't have for incremental upgrades to DPS or survivability. In your case, I don't see an abundance of legendaries in the armor slots that need to be given up because, as you said, it seems that you were searching for a certain list of affixes that returned some legendaries. For me, it's the legendaries in the armor slots that I am most concerned about.

I just think that we have to be aware of what we are giving up in certain slots when you buy into certain legendaries and sets. For example, if someone picks up Inna's pants (as I have and as you plan to), I think that buyers need to be aware of what they are giving up in that slot and figure out how to make at least some of it up -- and in that case, it's the max roll of 300 vit, resists (140 total if you use OWE) and armor in rares. That's a big trade that the buyer would be making -- all of those defensive stats for 12% MS, 8%-9% IAS, and 1% ChC (plus set bonus of +130 dex). I would not suggest that the buyer not make the trade, just to be aware of what you are giving up and whether it would be affordable to make it up for the sake of survivability. As an aside, this is why a poorly rolled Inna's pants is terrible -- to find one without a good roll in any one of those defensive stats is problematic in future gearing.

As another example, lacuni prowlers look awesome because of the potential of getting ChC, MS, and IAS rolled into the bracer slot. Yet, you are also giving up the potential of resists, armor and vit in that same slot. Making those things up can become very expensive if you are forced to try to make them up in your rings and amulet. Now imagine having both of these on your monk -- how would you make up for all of that missing resists, armor and vit in the rest of your gear without breaking the bank?

So for the lower-tiered monk with limited gold/cash resources, getting a mix of offensive legendaries can be a very expensive proposition because for many of them, they have bought into these legendaries without consideration towards survivability and it becomes very hard to make up for it when you have poorly rolled legendaries, or even good legendaries with a solid foundation of knowledge on how gear works together. Rares, however, tend to be a lot less expensive, much easier to understand, and if you focus mostly on rares (with smatterings of legendaries), you'll find that reaching the 100K dps with good EHP will be very affordable.

Now, when you look at legendary weapons, that's kind of a different story. Typically, you aren't trading defence for offence, so you can go to town with legendary weapons. Just know that it can get very expensive to get a desired mix of stats. For example, a WKL with high dps, LS and OS might be very expensive and highly desireable but a similar mix on a rare may be a lot less (although I have to acknowledge that WKL gives a lot of hidden DPS that does not show up in the stat sheet). With that said, I have come across at least one legendary weapon that carry resistances in there (forgot which ones). If you are experienced with rares, you'd know that resistances don't show up in this slot, so that resistance is unique to that particular legendary. If you become dependent on that slot for resistances for the sake of survivability, you have locked yourself into that particular weapon type going forward which is not what you want longer term.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/26/2012 7:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
Just as I started reading this guide I noticed that you're "only" able to do MP5
(and even that requires some struggle).
Why is that?

I currently have 50m, so I can't do MP5-MP7 decently?

I edited my first page to read that it is MP5 capable -- it would imply that there may be some difficulties in there without emphasizing struggle. For you, if you are a beginning monk, don't be in such a rush to get to higher tiers. There is much to learn bout playing in the lower tiers and so you can slowly make your way through. MP5-MP7 becomes a nightmare for high DPS monks (and especially those with low damage mitigation and low sustain) because of the RD affixes on the monsters (and that the minions become all the more powerful when they are accompanying champion packs). If you gear up for high DPS but low survivability, the RD will kill you. If you stay balanced all the way up, it'll be easier to manage when you actually get there. 50M can only get you so far in those areas in order to slice through MP6-MP8 with ease.

So my advice is to slowly make your way up. Don't be in such a rush to compete with the pros, especially if you are still a young monk with much to learn about the game and the mechanics.
Reply Quote
Do you supply a gearing service? I have a 50mil budget and would like to be around 100k shet dps. Ill give you a 10% tip aswell. You can add me ingame if interested in helping me out.
Add Canaduh#1130
Edited by Canaduh#1130 on 11/27/2012 8:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hi Nameless,
wow it was a long read! I read every word of it lol but yeah it was very informative
Can you please help to take a look though? I just reach lvl 60 last night and switched build to Lordrahhl's "Lamb to the Slaughter - Padawans version"
I'm a poor monk and have to borrow weapons from my barb and wd and beg for the barb's item drop.
I have no where near the 10 mil = (
I'm currently working on the two rings... looking for avg dmg, dex, cc and attack speed
and my chest AR+Lightling resis + 3 OS + over 100 vit and dex ... basically a better version of what I'm wearing
pants will be for later
also a MH weapon that both my Barb and Monk can use.. sword or axe with around 1000K black dps + os and crit dmg + LS which will probably cost 100x my monk's gear

what do you think?
can't wait to hear what you have to advise
thank you in advance = )
Edited by QHTran#1403 on 11/28/2012 3:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Sorry I didn't respond to you earlier, QHTran.

I'm going to refrain from commenting on yours or any monk's profile right now -- there seems to be an endless supply of posts asking for help and it takes too much time to address the issues, especially when information is already put together in a couple of guides (this one and Piffle's to name two) offering perspectives on how to put together a budget monk.

Also, I've made some edits to the main section of the body to make this just a tad shorter.

If you are curious as to what was on my monk when I first hit this mark, open the spreadsheet that is linked in the first page of the guide and that'll give you an idea.
Reply Quote
Hey Nameless,
no need to be sorry watsoever = )
You did reply to me in another post and you're awesome!
Yeah I think between this guide of yours, piffe and lordraahl I was able to to create my monk and i'm learning how to play
had to switch build and I bought some new weapons for my monk as well
all in all its 4.7 mil including two extra weapons that i always carry and switch out as needed
i can rock MP1 and can play through MP3
thanks again for the great guide and keep up the amazing job! = )
Reply Quote
Just wanted to say thanks! I made the hard decision to completely regear my monk from scratch and it has done me a world of good. I had previously been stuck on oranges and greens and was getting nowhere. I didn't quite make 100k dps, I didn't get any pickup radius which sucks, but I did get a solid foundation to work with. My gear is up to date, but I'm still working on a build if anyone has any tips going forward. Thanks again, the monk forum rocks thanks to this thread and a few others... Jedi in training... : )
Reply Quote
Hi there, my monk has 580k EHP but only 25k DPS, with ~500 LoH. That being said, I can easily survive even MP5, but it takes so long to kill stuff, that I only play on mp1/mp0.

I have a relatively high atk speed (1.9), 1600 Dex, and a 980 dps weapon.

Any ideas on how to increase my dps? I was thinking crit chance+ crit damage. But everything on that area seems so expensive..
Edited by Aerotsu#1176 on 12/10/2012 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Bookmarked this. I'm geared out in inna's and Ik and while i didn't spend a lot to get where i am looking at my upgrade path was absolutely duanting. 100mil per item. This is going to make my life much easier. thanks for an informative read.
Reply Quote
Sorry for the late replies... I've been trying to stay off of these boards lately, but I keep failing at it! :)

12/05/2012 04:22 PMPosted by k1llface
Just wanted to say thanks! I made the hard decision to completely regear my monk from scratch and it has done me a world of good. I had previously been stuck on oranges and greens and was getting nowhere. I didn't quite make 100k dps, I didn't get any pickup radius which sucks, but I did get a solid foundation to work with. My gear is up to date, but I'm still working on a build if anyone has any tips going forward. Thanks again, the monk forum rocks thanks to this thread and a few others... Jedi in training... : )

Thanks for reading and I'm glad that this has been helpful. Don't forget to look at Piffle's guide as well, as also has great ideas and I look to him as the ultimate budget monk guru (although our gearing styles are slightly different).

Hi there, my monk has 580k EHP but only 25k DPS, with ~500 LoH. That being said, I can easily survive even MP5, but it takes so long to kill stuff, that I only play on mp1/mp0.

I have a relatively high atk speed (1.9), 1600 Dex, and a 980 dps weapon.

Any ideas on how to increase my dps? I was thinking crit chance+ crit damage. But everything on that area seems so expensive..

I don't know what your budget is, but generally, you want to get at least a little ChC in every slot you can, which would include the amulet, rings, gloves, bracers and helm (and in your case, your shield). It might be a little expensive, but that's your immediate priority IMO because it gives you many other ways to increase DPS (SW/Cyclone being a big one). As mentioned in the guide, with jewellery you always want to shoot for combinations of ChC and a couple of other things (like average damage, ChD, dex, IAS) and that doesn't have to cost that much if your expectations of ChC isn't on the higher end of the range.

In terms of ChD, I'd always suggest trying to find a weapon with native ChD + open socket (along with dex and LS if you are only going one weapon). I like faster weapons, but I have a feeling something a bit slower (with 1.2 or 1.3 attack speed) might also be cheaper.

12/10/2012 02:04 PMPosted by Pyobe
Bookmarked this. I'm geared out in inna's and Ik and while i didn't spend a lot to get where i am looking at my upgrade path was absolutely duanting. 100mil per item. This is going to make my life much easier. thanks for an informative read.

Good luck! :)
Reply Quote
Ok, so , about 3 hours ago, I touch base with Nameless in a game, as he was kind enough to have some free time. We played a bit, and he gave me some pointers for the gear I had, as well as the playstyle of the monk.

After a little bit of time in the AH, and a few sheckles of gold later...

I went from MP0, and dying, to now running MP3 getting keys, and most importantly, not dying!

Nameless, you rock! <and again, thanks for the time you carved out of your schedule to give me some guidance and advice>

I still have a way to go, but now I have a goal AND a plan... and a MUCH better Monk :)
Edited by Tetre#1424 on 12/27/2012 5:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
You are totally welcome, Tetre... I'm glad to have been able to help. :)
Reply Quote
i'd just like to thank OP for this guide. i just recently got to where i'm in a3 inferno on no MP. so brand new to the slate of where the bulk of the gameplay is at. i've always had an obvious thought of what stats i NEEDED, but i was hazy on exactly what slots in what intensities those stats could be found. so i was at a stage of WHERE as opposed to the blatantly obvious WHAT. i read this entire guide word for word (twice), and had an epihpone, just went to the AH and in a few hours hopefully i'll have all my core pieces had for the paltry 1m i walked into inferno A3 with. thank you so much for compiling this incredibly useful bit of info together. i'm sure it seems obvious to high tier players, but what i learned in this forum post is really invaluable.
Reply Quote
Nice guide. But I stopped at "45 mil in gear, 15mil in gems"
Reply Quote
12/28/2012 12:31 AMPosted by Collapser

Just bear in mind that the gear has depreciated significantly since my writing of this guide (which was over 6 weeks ago). The principles are the same, but you can probably do a decent job with under 20M gold.

12/28/2012 12:22 AMPosted by BourbonCrow
i'd just like to thank OP for this guide. i just recently got to where i'm in a3 inferno on no MP. so brand new to the slate of where the bulk of the gameplay is at. i've always had an obvious thought of what stats i NEEDED, but i was hazy on exactly what slots in what intensities those stats could be found. so i was at a stage of WHERE as opposed to the blatantly obvious WHAT. i read this entire guide word for word (twice), and had an epihpone, just went to the AH and in a few hours hopefully i'll have all my core pieces had for the paltry 1m i walked into inferno A3 with. thank you so much for compiling this incredibly useful bit of info together. i'm sure it seems obvious to high tier players, but what i learned in this forum post is really invaluable.

Thanks for the kind words. I do hope that this helps. For more ideas, check out Piffle's guide too -- he has some great examples of sets he has put together. :)
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 12/28/2012 3:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/28/2012 12:31 AMPosted by Collapser

Well that's your loss, I suppose. Gems don't depreciate (unless botters are duping them; can't believe I missed out on that) and they remain useful as your gear improves (i.e. you don't replace them like you do other gear).

TL;DR - gems are a good investment.
Reply Quote
I'm posting here because I think this needs a bump. If Piffle's doesn't get bumped soon I might post there too because both of these threads are the best things I've read on here. Great work, and thanks.

First, the help getting geared up helps so much. Second, knowing how to use the AH as a result of going through this thread and Piffle's has gotten me some great finds and made me some money as I've gone (note: I don't spend hours on the AH, just a few quick searches for whatever I thought needed fixing the most to see if I can find a deal).

I made a few hasty purchases, but overall I think I got some decent deals. Definitely got some good deals along the way since I was able to flip a few things for small profit as I went. At this point though, I've mixed your advice and Piffle's and I feel I'm at a point where any upgrades are starting to cost some serious gold, so I wanted advice on the next step so that I don't do anything dumb with a lot of gold. MP0 farming is easy at this point and I'm looking to go key farming and fight some ubers.

TL;DR ~80k DPS, 550AR, 4500 Armor, ~31k health for 11m gold (would have been less if I was more patient on a few items).

http://d3up.com/b/245546
Reply Quote
Man, I wondered what happened to my thread -- haven't seen it bumped for a long time. Truth be told, I'm not too much into shameless self-promotion, and I also think that Piffle's guide (and his ensuing thread) is just awesome so there wasn't a need for me to bump this, as I believe both of our views are complimentary. Plus both of them are captured in Kameljabber's compilation of useful links and I think that post definitely needs to get stickied.

@prodystoplan, that's pretty awesome work for 11M gold, IMO. And yes, at this point, upgrades can get a bit more pricey, but doesn't have to be stupid crazy. For the more expensive upgrades, I'd wait until post-patch before going crazy as AH prices seem to change substantially after a new patch drops.

Sorry I can't post more detailed response right now. I'm jetlagged and groggy. Feel free to add me in-game and we can peruse the AH for potential upgrades.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]