Diablo® III

[Guide] Gearing tips from Sir Piffle

Piffle, just wanted to give you a couple thumbs up for 12 pages of helping people with their gear. Rock on, Brother Monk!
Reply Quote
View profile
03/01/2013 09:58 AMPosted by Vrkhyz
Piffle, just wanted to give you a couple thumbs up for 12 pages of helping people with their gear. Rock on, Brother Monk!

+1
Reply Quote
Hey, Piffle, while I'm here: which slot should I focus my crafting on? Gloves, right? I feel like ammy crafting is a bit of a waste until I find a weapon with good LS on it, which wouldn't even matter for a while. (That said, I have some decent DPS-focused ammies in my stash now.)
Reply Quote
View profile
Piffle, how do I get my munk to 200K DPZ while maintaining my +6K amorz? I really can't think of way.
Reply Quote
03/01/2013 10:29 AMPosted by Vrkhyz
Hey, Piffle, while I'm here: which slot should I focus my crafting on? Gloves, right? I feel like ammy crafting is a bit of a waste until I find a weapon with good LS on it, which wouldn't even matter for a while. (That said, I have some decent DPS-focused ammies in my stash now.)

If you feel like you need the LoH on your ammy, then yea, gloves might yield a quicker upgrade (only need 3 rolls for upgrade). If you don't need the LoH on your ammy though, then that should be a fairly easy upgrade as well (only need 2 rolls).

I think you said before though, that finding enough gems was holding you back. So your ammys might take a while.

03/01/2013 12:32 PMPosted by LegitBeastin
Piffle, how do I get my munk to 200K DPZ while maintaining my +6K amorz? I really can't think of way.

I'm fairly certain this isn't a serious request, but if it is, I'll respond :P
Reply Quote
View profile
It is actually. I've gear theory crafted and spent quite a bit of time on D3up's gear sim but to no avail.
Reply Quote
03/01/2013 12:32 PMPosted by LegitBeastin

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/jco310-1218/hero/10229623
Reply Quote
View profile
03/01/2013 12:56 PMPosted by Demiwraith
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/jco310-1218/hero/10229623

But where's the sustain? No LS or LOH.
Reply Quote
His axe usually has LoH and LS. That must be his PvP weapon!
Reply Quote
Jco doesn't need LS. He logs in and all the demons surrender.

More seriously, his gear, while godly, is far from perfect. If you want sustain, you put that on the sword instead of Dex/Vit. There's room for another 60 CD, 5-11 CC, and 100 AR. Rings and amulets can have LoH, as can pants. Probably more you can do if you're not picky about keeping your life over 100K.
Reply Quote
View profile
I'd rather not go SnB though. Even though when I 1st rolled a munk I was a SnB munk however I simply enjoy attacking super fast and I'd like to keep DW and dual LS.
Reply Quote
View profile
The only thing I can think of is krating bracers w/ an armor/high strenght roll, then get dual quadforce rings w/ armor/high strength, and triforce gloves to cover the loss of getting the Innas Chesto + Memhpo kombo. But I'm just wondering if there's anything I'm over looking as a gearing possibility.
Reply Quote
You don't need to go S&B really. For example (since I loaded Jco's guy up into d3up), just find a second weapon like the first one (again with LS if you prefer), and an amulet with Str and armor instead of Dex.

700 AR, 6000 Armor, 6% LS, 215K DPS, 80K Life. Completely theorycrafted and hideously expensive, but probably not even close the pinnacle of what can be done. Start throwing in Mempos and crafted everything, we can probably get it up to 300K DPS.
Reply Quote
Is there a reason why you want to hold onto 6k armor? Just like that number?

Looking at your gear, there are definitely improvements you could make that wouldn't even touch the places you have an abnormally high amount of armor (gloves, chest):

-Helm's CC is only 5%; dex could be higher, but given how much health, AR, Armor you're getting here, maybe that's not a major complaint
-Bracers only have 4% CC. You don't even have armor here, so you could definitely get a nice upgrade here
-Shoulders could have higher dex
-Boots could have higher dex
-Nats ring could have higher CC, AS

For you, 1% Crit = ~1955 dps and 1 dex = ~ 55 dps. So adding 3% crit to your hat/wrist is almost 6k dmg and if you could add 100 dex to your boots+shoulders that's another 5600. Nats ring would be 4k+ dmg too, even if you just got a 4.5% crit ring.

Your gloves are killing you. If you manage to get a +armor roll on your bracers, maybe you could move away from the T&T and craft some gloves. My gloves, for example, aren't even trifecta and don't have a second dex roll ... and yet are an 8500 dps upgrade for you.

You get soooo much armor from your chest piece. It's a shame, too, because you could really benefit from a different one - both in terms of higher dex rolls and higher vit roll.

Obviously higher DPS weapons would help ...

Amulet could be better ...

I mean, you're basically just at a point where you need very close to BiS rolls if you're going to keep the goal of 6k armor.
Reply Quote
View profile
03/01/2013 01:32 PMPosted by Piffle
Just like that number?
I do it to be balanced and I'm somewhat OCD about it XD.

Yeah, I'm crafting bracers right now trying to get a better one.

03/01/2013 01:32 PMPosted by Piffle
you need very close to BiS rolls if you're going to keep the goal of 6k armor.
Le sigh. I was afraid of that. I built up my munk for cheap but now itz biting me in the caboose, most of my items are sub 50M actually. I was sorta hoping for sorta of miracle gearing path I guess. Guess its back to gearing the Barb :C

Thanks for the feedback Piffle. Mind if I add you in game later?
Reply Quote
Howdy Piffle,

Fired up a monk as my second character after playing a WD since Launch. I'm a casual gamer 1-2 nights a week. My goals are solo and team play on mid to higher MP's just to keep it fun.

I thoroughly read through dang near every guide on that "Questions" Post in this forum early on and I followed Yours and Nameless build guides/advice as much as possible. (Quite the nerd-fest over here in the monk forum btw. I feel right at home)

Please critique the results of my build. I spent less than 15M on the whole thing - most of that weapons and jewelry. A couple items were generously given as friends, and believe it or not I found that Ammy with my WD!

I'm pretty happy with where it is at considering I'm barely getting started here. I can survive MP5 with my normal group of friends w/o problems. My tendancy with both characters is to build defensively with plenty of sustain and add DPS from there. I also have a shield with 7.5cc, 200Dex, 100+ Vit but haven't really needed to use it yet. Seems like I have more spirit regen issues than survivability issues.

Just curious if you see any low-hanging fruit for quick improvement. I've got about 13M leftover, only looking to spend it on significant improvements.

Any thoughts pop in to your head as you look at the profile? My main questions would be:

1. Should I do anything with the weapons at this point? Everything 1000+ DPS with sustain for a main hand seems out of my budget, although I can patiently shop bids. Not sure what I should expect to spend for a good upgrade at this point. I figure Id move my main hand over to my offhand if I improved the MH.

2. Seems like gloves should be able to be improved without too much trouble?

3. Love running through barrels but may upgrade boots. Thinking Zuni for the % Damage. I guess that comes from my WD days, seems hard to beat that on a budget.

4. Not sure where I can easily add more resistance. That seems the weakest point of my defensive stats (Sub 600 OWE resist at this point)

5. All my purchases up to this point have been under 1m-3m. I really never know when I need to give upon the "cheapskate" zone and start shopping 5+ mil per item. I'm also less familiar with the market above that price so I never know what is a good deal vs paying at or above market value. What price range should I be spending per item now based in where my monk is at?

Thanks for all the help so far.

PS: I combine gems as I find them so those are a work in progress. I like the progression of doing that myself vs. buying them. (plus I'm cheap and poor)
Edited by Zuggles#1174 on 3/2/2013 6:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
03/01/2013 12:46 PMPosted by Piffle
If you feel like you need the LoH on your ammy, then yea, gloves might yield a quicker upgrade (only need 3 rolls for upgrade). If you don't need the LoH on your ammy though, then that should be a fairly easy upgrade as well (only need 2 rolls).

And, on the twenty-fifth try, I got a pair of gloves good enough to replace my usual pair! Check my profile.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Vrkhyz-1472/hero/18947197

And it's not even boss. It's just competitive with my old 165 DEX, 124 VIT, 5% IAS, 7% CHC pair.
Reply Quote
Nice! Feels good to hit on a craft eh? I've done about 15 bracers and finally got the CC+ fire resist shown in my profile. Gave up the life% and 9500 globe bonus on my strongarm but gained DPS and the warm fuzzy feelin of wearin the fruits of my actual labor.
Reply Quote
I added a section on the new crafted gear.
Reply Quote
Awesome! I read that new section with interest, thank you. Certainly learned a few things, and I know how to orient further crafting now.

Here's a quick question, though : do you, or anybody else, now how sockets function as an affix? I am guessing that they function as Sockets is 1 affix, with 1 being a low roll and 3 being a high roll. Or is it something different?

Cheers!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]