Diablo® III

[Guide] Gearing tips from Sir Piffle

Great write up, deserves to be sticky'd
Reply Quote
I also appreciate this very much....have wasted alot of gold buying AH gear that didnt do what i thought it would
Reply Quote

There is one thing i would like to get clarification on tho. From what i heard the min /max dmg value should be an average of the min max, not adding them up.

You're both right. You use avg damage to calculate impact, but Piffle was just simplifying for everyone when he said add min and max up to equal 90 is about the same as 32 CD. Of course, this last part is also a simplification as the impact of CD depends upon your CC. But as +Dmg is added to your base weapon stats, it's % impact on DPS is the same no matter your gear mix

Piffle: one thing I'd play up a bit more for budget gearing is that higher Dex but lower DPS weapons are almost always priced lower than high DPS. One reason is other classes can use a weapon without a prim stat but higher DPS so more competition, the other reason I presume is you need a DPS calculator to figure out the tradeoffs, which many don't bother with I presume. Also, higher Dex on weapon provides a secondary benefit to monks that use STI

Nice guide, well done.
Reply Quote
While I agree that slower (no IAS, 1.2 / 1.3 APS) is a cheaper way to build up DPS, my own experience after I dropped my Echo Fury was that my APS became too low in Uber and higher MPs, I could not spam things as fast or benefit from the Fot-TC knockback as much. So when first gearing up I'd do similar as what OP suggests, but there is certainly an advantage to faster APS as you move up
Reply Quote
Crush: theres a disclaimer at the start that this is for beginning monks, not aiming at high MPs :)

But yes, in the end monk, like the CM wiz, needs high crit per second. IT means high crit chance and atk speed is more desirable than high crit and high crit dmg. High crit dmg looks good on paper, but from my experience not as good as atk speed.
Edited by seansky#1859 on 11/8/2012 7:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hey piff mate. Good job. Makes me look stupid again.

Im posting here for the new-start on how NOT to gear. Do not go the direction i went. It cost a FORTUNE, and doesnt do nearly as well as piff.

For example, right now in the AH there is a ring with a 100k buyout that has 34-56 dmg, 77 Dex, 42 Vit, 35 Arcane Res, and 4% crit. In the set I will show below, 90 min/max damage is equivalent to 32 Crit damage. The cheapest ring available that has 60+ dex, 4+ crit, 30+ crit dmg along with vit and arcane res is 1.25 million buyout. That 90 min/max damage is also equivalent to 6% AS; the cheapest ring with 4+ crit chance, 6+ AS, 60+ dex along with vit and arcane res is 2.5 million buyout.

There is one thing i would like to get clarification on tho. From what i heard the min /max dmg value should be an average of the min max, not adding them up. For example if you have 50-100 it means ur min/max is 75. Please let me know if im wrong. :) not saying you are wrong that average dmg on jewels are MUCH cheaper than crit dmg, mind.

you also miss out lpss on your guide........ but imo is wise. LPSS only work on particular builds, and those builds (like mine) usually cost a fortune to make work. And even in those cases LS would still work better than lpss.

Thanks SS!

Crush already answered this, but when I mentioned 90 min/max damage I had added the two together (27-53). According to this incredible post by Vrkhyz, it is adding both 27 and 53 to the base damage of the weapon: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6758675992?page=1#4

As for LpSS, I don't have a ton of experience with it on gear. I used Transcendence for a long while though, because I felt like I needed extra sustain. I'll add a blurb about it though, oversight on my part.

@Crush
Absolutely, high DPS weapons are almost always more expensive even if they don't provide as much actual DPS. I don't want anyone to think what I was searching for (150+ dex, 70+ CD) was some magic formula. People should definitely be shopping around and exploring their options, comparing different weapons in a damage calculator. That is exactly what I am advocating.

And I agree with you about AS too. It definitely has its benefits, and in a perfect world I'd have CC + AS rings with fast weapons. Sadly I aint got that kind of scratch (yet), so I make do with what I can afford.
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 11/8/2012 7:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
Added a blurb about LpSS.
Reply Quote
View profile
I am Captaincarl and I approve this message.
Reply Quote
[quote]According to this incredible post by Vrkhyz, it is adding both 27 and 53 to the base damage of the weapon: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6758675992?page=1#4

We may be saying the same thing, but just in case not, the quoted article adds the two #s because later on he divides by 2. So he is actually adding the average +damage to the average damage of the weapon, not just adding 90 to the weapon damage
Reply Quote
Hey Piffle, you have some really good information in here but, i don't agree with you on the echo. I recently was able to drop that mace and it has been smooth sailing now in mp8 and higher.

Keeping mobs perma feared was cool and all but when you start chasing a molten plague across the screen it gets old.

Also, for w/e reason Magdah has a very high chance to be feared so that uber fight is extremely annoying. Regardless though great info and nice guide :)

Loof
Reply Quote
Hey Piffle, you have some really good information in here but, i don't agree with you on the echo. I recently was able to drop that mace and it has been smooth sailing now in mp8 and higher.

Keeping mobs perma feared was cool and all but when you start chasing a molten plague across the screen it gets old.

Also, for w/e reason Magdah has a very high chance to be feared so that uber fight is extremely annoying. Regardless though great info and nice guide :)

Loof

Not sure what you are referencing here.
Reply Quote
I added a 'budget' 90k dps set here: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005435884?page=1#5
Reply Quote
Bump for truth, justice, and the budget Monk way.
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 05:28 AMPosted by Piffle
Bump for truth, justice, and the budget Monk way.

+1
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Druid
Very nice guide. Thanks it helped me out a lot so far.
Reply Quote
[quote]According to this incredible post by Vrkhyz, it is adding both 27 and 53 to the base damage of the weapon: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6758675992?page=1#4

We may be saying the same thing, but just in case not, the quoted article adds the two #s because later on he divides by 2. So he is actually adding the average +damage to the average damage of the weapon, not just adding 90 to the weapon damage

This is correct. In any equation where I added the min and max bonuses together, I later divided by two. It's just a quick way of determining the damage. If a weapon has a true damage range of 100-200, and you're wearing an amulet with the +25-75 damage affix, then this:

150 + 12.5 + 37.5

is equal to this:

(100 + 200) / 2 + (25 + 75) / 2

is equal to this:

(100 + 200 + 25 + 75) / 2

No matter how you calculate it, the average damage is 200. Functionally, adding both numbers to the minimum damage is the same in this case, but it's not accurate--the low part of your range is a hit for 125, not a hit for 200.

Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 07:57 AMPosted by Papahorn
Very nice guide. Thanks it helped me out a lot so far.

Glad it helped!
Reply Quote
I'm very much enjoying simply linking this to people instead of writing up the same advice for different people multiple times a day.
Reply Quote
11/08/2012 02:09 PMPosted by Piffle
I also went to mention that if anyone is interested in that example set, I will happily sell it to you for the price of the gear.

@piffle I'll buy the sickle from you if you're willing to sell it?
Reply Quote
Piff: i kinda notice most strat and guide concentrate on dps build, but not alot put any emphasis on EHP. I know with good sustain etc it becomes irrelavant, but for peeps like us in aussie we kinda just need them. Maybe you can add a seperate guide for ppl who wanna go a little more defensive but still wanna do dmg. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]