Diablo® III

[Guide] Gearing tips from Sir Piffle

Shhhhh......... you sir, you just made everyone know how great is the xx-xx damage in 1.05 amulet & rings.

Like the two rings I got last week is only 7-8M only and it increases more DPS than my old trifecta rings.

I also suggestion my friend that looks for budget gear to search for ring with 6% Crit Chance then prefer stats, 50+ average damage, then sort buyout :)
Reply Quote
Wonderful guide..

This will definitely help me as I really stuck with current setup ..

I am currently on Fire Resistant, do I really need to switch all to Arcane Resistant? Will it cheaper then FIre?
Reply Quote
Very nice guide.

Returning after a bit of a hiatus and the economy is entirely changed now. Was gonna ask around for some advice but got 'em here. Thanks!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the appeal of Inna's set. From what I observe, there seem to be plenty of monks gearing with 3-4 pieces of the set. Am I missing something here?
Reply Quote
I also went to mention that if anyone is interested in that example set, I will happily sell it to you for the price of the gear.

@piffle I'll buy the sickle from you if you're willing to sell it?

Sorry, that set has been moved already.

Wonderful guide..

This will definitely help me as I really stuck with current setup ..

I am currently on Fire Resistant, do I really need to switch all to Arcane Resistant? Will it cheaper then FIre?

No, there is no need to switch. I randomly picked resists when I was putting together sets (Arcane is first in the list) :P

Very nice guide.

Returning after a bit of a hiatus and the economy is entirely changed now. Was gonna ask around for some advice but got 'em here. Thanks!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the appeal of Inna's set. From what I observe, there seem to be plenty of monks gearing with 3-4 pieces of the set. Am I missing something here?

The helm is basically a must have. I mentioned this at some point in the guide, but the prices on Inna's Radiances are so low that you basically can't find a comparable rare for a lower price. If you're just starting out and you've got little money, it's worth dropping a couple hundred thousand gold on a cheap one, even if it doesn't have great rolls. Later on you can worry about getting one with good rolls. Basically the combo of Dex, Vit, CC, and a socket (+2 random affixes) is hard to beat. If you're not on a tight budget, make sure you get one with good rolls (just like any set/legendary).

The pants, while not great for survivability, are a great spot for extra damage (1% CC, 8-9% AS) and have movement speed to boot. The 2 piece Inna's is really nice, too.

The chest can have a ton of health on it, while the belt has the potential of adding a lot of damage if your weapons have 'black' damage (not elemental). But I think the big reason people use the 4 piece set is for the 3 and 4 piece bonus while trying to farm as quickly as possible.

In general, I would suggest going for helm and pants first and then reevaluating where you are.
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 11/12/2012 8:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 09:26 PMPosted by seansky
Piff: i kinda notice most strat and guide concentrate on dps build, but not alot put any emphasis on EHP. I know with good sustain etc it becomes irrelavant, but for peeps like us in aussie we kinda just need them. Maybe you can add a seperate guide for ppl who wanna go a little more defensive but still wanna do dmg. :)

What sort of EH would you be interested in seeing? I mean really, it's just a matter of shifting around what stats you're getting from specific spots.
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 11/12/2012 10:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
(removed rant about sustain vs. defence -- not appropriate for this thread... my apologies)
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/12/2012 7:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
SS is actually rocking like 750k EH. I understand the where he's coming from since we regularly chat in-game. Basically he regularly plays with yellow lag which spikes to red on occasion so he needs the extra EH to act as a lag buffer.

He's also the luckiest person I know. Dat mempo.
Reply Quote
SS is actually rocking like 750k EH. I understand the where he's coming from since we regularly chat in-game. Basically he regularly plays with yellow lag which spikes to red on occasion so he needs the extra EH to act as a lag buffer.

He's also the luckiest person I know. Dat mempo.

Sorry, I didn't mean to target SS's monk. I need to be careful about how I word my responses, because I may actually single out someone when I really don't mean to. I actually haven't taken a look at his profile, so I wasn't even making any comments about his monk. Given what you write, I might need to look into his profile for my own growth.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 11/12/2012 7:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
bumpski for newer monks to see...really good read
Reply Quote
Informational, easy to read guide. You have really good written voice and a sharp wit to boot... Thanks for the article
Reply Quote
Well what piff says is right. The EHP build is actually much more relavant in this part of the world than the US. :) We constantly get spikes of latency ranging from 400-1000 ms, and surviving those spikes, to some, is important.

The other reason would be since i play solo all the time, dieing and walking back to your old spot is HELLA time consuming........ so yeh dieing less is desirable.

I actually past the 1 million EHP mark according to diabloprogress about a week ago. Im no good at writing guides, and pretty sure my stat shuffling is not optimal. From what i know, some gears may give better vit than others, while you want to forego vit on some for higher dex etc. Im never good with gearing and working on details, so yeh was hoping piff can throw in a section on that lol.
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 07:27 PMPosted by Out4Justice
Informational, easy to read guide. You have really good written voice and a sharp wit to boot... Thanks for the article

Thanks for the compliment!

@SS, I will try to see what I can do, but I make no promises :P
Reply Quote
Requested sticky, all fresh 60 monks should read this guide, along with Nameless'.

My favourite part was the TL;DR section, but I did read your whole guide.

I love guides that have facts in them compared to anecdotes and circumstantial scenarios.

After reading both guides, I've come to realise that OWE makes gearing much cheaper, even if it limits your gear choices to your chosen resist.

All resist gear is expensive, and double resist gear more so. Unfortunately I got burned in 1.05 with the STI nerf after building a dex/armor monk.
Will not make the same mistake again with OWE, especially after a confirmed future change from blizzard.

Question: What's your idea of a well balanced hybrid monk (can tank decently, can pack a punch)? Looking for stats here. Lets say, for farming mp4-6, while being able to do key runs on mp8.
Edited by Sharenis#6818 on 11/13/2012 10:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
Great advice! Here's to hoping many others won't figure out how important XX-XX damage is. ;-) I'd also like to recommend www.d3up.com as a great dps/health calculator site. I prefer it because of it's interface and ability to "Simulate"/compare new gear.
Reply Quote
Very nice guide, it's making me want to play my monk again. The main reason i quit it was how annoying it was trying to re-gear around OWE when I was starting back up and broke. Since I have some cash saved up I might have to look into getting a new set, esp seeing you were able to gear out a far better monk for under 4m than what I currently have.

Are there any legendarys to watch for that might influence what resist to stack for OWE? Like Firewalkers?
What about 2h vs DW?
Edited by neonovas#1178 on 11/13/2012 3:57 PM PST
Reply Quote

Question: What's your idea of a well balanced hybrid monk (can tank decently, can pack a punch)? Looking for stats here. Lets say, for farming mp4-6, while being able to do key runs on mp8.

I'm probably not the best person to answer this. I didn't try MP 8 until just last week, but it went very smoothly. The gear I was using was ~35k health, 700 resist, 5k armor, 102k dps and 5.8 lifesteal. Honestly the amount of sustain with lifesteal on both weapons just makes me giggle. But since I never tried it with lesser gear I can't really say the minimum stats you should aim for. This would be a question better suited for the monk community at large, where you'll get much more feedback from players who have tried a variety of things.

Are there any legendarys to watch for that might influence what resist to stack for OWE? Like Firewalkers?
What about 2h vs DW?

I haven't seen too many people using Firewalkers, If you got nice rolls with the two affixes they would definitely be viable though. Cindercoat, another fire resist piece, can be decent depending upon the rolls as well.

I think the best legendary that rolls with a particular resist is Andariel's Visage (poison). You would want one with a socket, and to be honest I'm not sure how expensive any of the above are. I'm not at home, so I can't check the AH. Those are the only three I can think of that always roll with a particular resist. I'm not sure I would worry about any of them with the possible exception of Andariel's Visage though, since it's basically a poor man's Mempo.
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 11/13/2012 4:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 03:54 PMPosted by neonovas

there are some good legendaries for some resists, but it shouldnt limit your choice of resist imo. It is hard to find end game rolls on those pieces and truth be told you wont be usin them in the end anyways. As a mid tier gear they do alright. There is a guide somewhere on the forum......

For fire resist you will get firewalker and cindercoat. BUT in the end you will want nat boots, which can roll double resist, and aim for either inna's chest, blackthorne surcoat, tal rasha chest or even IK chest....... There are some godly rolled cinders around, but VERY rare.

For poison you get andy's visage. BUT you will want either inna's helm or a mempo. Andy's fire dmg is a turn off for most ppl. And it is UGLY. Again. IT IS UGLY.

Cant really think of any other browns or green with fixed elemental resist really........
Edited by seansky#1859 on 11/13/2012 4:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
That was the other big one I thought of when asking the question but with how cheap Inna's radiances are compared to andys (4.5m lowest for dex/socket atm) it didn't seem to fit into the low budget build
Reply Quote
@seansky

Ha! Cinder and fire walkers do have goldly rolls I would say, I have 2 drops below and they are still in my stash..

Cinder - I have one godly piece with 129 dex 105 vit 3 soc 5% life 84 fr 44 ar
Fire walkers - 235 dex 49 fr and 7 yards pick up radiushttp://beta.xfire.com/videos/5c23b0#

Back to main subject, i agree OP on gear selection on AH, just take But blackthorne's surcoat, price range is so huge..

1. 655 armour 198 vit double resist for 18m,
2. 655 armour 70 dex 199 vit double resist then cost 80M to 100M
3. 438 armour 90 dex 190 vit normal AR cost 5M!

We can definitely cover up that extra armour through other pieces with higher dex

Also, there are always good deals outside that you should look out for, I usually go AH for 5 to 10 mins after every run to see for misprices.. FOr instance, sniped items like

1. Andy with 71AR... 1.5M (fire Dmg like 15 % ) but seldom see one with this high AR
2. gloves with 180dex 37fr 40ar 10 cc 23 cd for 500k...

Really saves up a lot of my money
Reply Quote
Well as i say there are godly rolled cinder and firewalker, but would those beat a godly rolled nat boots and surcoat?

For example, the cinder u mentioned have ~230 stat points, 140 res and 5% life. your surcoat sits on 280 stat points and 77 res all, but bear in mind the health globe bonus could be a double resist and be on the same res as ur cinder. True that cinder has 5% more life, but the surcoat has additional 100 vit from set bonus.

Yes cinder can roll godly. But can it beat a godly rolled of other set chest piece? ill venture to say no.

in the end is not the point of this thread anyways, since piff is trying to help new starters, not us. :) I was just trying to say selecting resist shouldnt be decided on these particular legendaries.

PS: i overpaid for my surcoat on that topic, ~35 mil. :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]