Diablo® III

[Guide] Gearing tips from Sir Piffle

Are there any legendarys to watch for that might influence what resist to stack for OWE? Like Firewalkers?

there are some good legendaries for some resists, but it shouldnt limit your choice of resist imo. It is hard to find end game rolls on those pieces and truth be told you wont be usin them in the end anyways. As a mid tier gear they do alright. There is a guide somewhere on the forum......

Boom! :) ----> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004013698?page=1

and p.s. i love the surcoat
Edited by RoxPD1470#1509 on 11/13/2012 9:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 10:57 AMPosted by Bisho
Great advice! Here's to hoping many others won't figure out how important XX-XX damage is. ;-) I'd also like to recommend www.d3up.com as a great dps/health calculator site. I prefer it because of it's interface and ability to "Simulate"/compare new gear.

This is a really cool site. I had never seen it before. I added it to the list of links. Thanks!
Reply Quote
Great guide. This week, I've been experimenting with how much you can get for various gold/time budgets and what it costs to play reasonably in each MP level. It may be even cheaper than you suggest. I was going to create my own thread, but the shopping is based off the principals in this guide, so I thought I'd post the results here and give this thing guide another bump.

A couple of notes: I'm currently wearing the 6M gold set, which I'm saying is effectively 72K DPS due to WKL. For the very cheap sets, I just used buyout and bought the whole set in about 30 min. For the other sets, I did both bid and buyout for about 3 hours one night, and just buyout for 30 min the following morning for what every I was missing. I know someone could do better if they are willing to take more time. I always see upgrades later in the week.

Anyway, here's the results of my current market research:

25K gold
AR/Armor: 520 / 4833
Life/EHP: 41K / 393K
DPS: 17K
Heal: 812 LoH
MP-1 capable

65K gold
AR/Armor: 566 / 5558
Life/EHP: 42K / 464K
DPS: 26K
Heal: 513 LoH
MP-2 capable

2M gold
AR/Armor: 620 / 5660
Life/EHP: 32K / 380K
DPS: 52K
Heal: 5.7% LS
MP-3 capable

5M gold
AR/Armor: 571/ 5700
Life/EHP: 38K / 429K
DPS: 61K
Heal: 5.9% LS
MP-4 capable

6M gold
AR/Armor: 571/ 5828
Life/EHP: 38K / 439K
DPS: 72K
Heal: 3% LS
MP-5 capable
Reply Quote
It's awesome that you were able to put together MP capable sets for those prices. Very impressed.
Reply Quote
hi Piffle.

I saw you are running a TR build.How's that work on MP7?
I am currently just doing a balanced build 90K DPS unbuffed 820 AR 6K Armor
1300 LOH. MP7 is a little bit hard for me. MP6 farm easily. I am very interested in TR build like
you did because my barb friend runs like crazy, I cannot play with him any more. I have about
86million on hand. Do you think I can get to my current DPS level?
Reply Quote
I think most people use the TR build for the lower MP levels. I don't know that anyone really uses it on MP 7 because it's not as efficient as the lower ones. I'm not sure how realistic TR on MP7 is.
Reply Quote
Piffle!

Thanks so much for your guide. After playing a lot at release, I'd taken a few months off and was somewhat bewildered by the new items/economy.

I've been pretty faithful to your guidelines and I'm pretty happy with my new budget monk -- not including the Inna's set pants that were donated to me, I was able to completely re-gear my monk for a shade under 6M while sniping the AH for the past few days.

Aside from replacing gems (especially in my weapons), can you think of any additional areas that will bump up my dps? I'm looking for anything cost-effective that I might have missed.

Also, I've been trying to review builds of high-paragon level monks, but it seems that they are all mostly tempest rush builds for farming low MP levels. I simply can't afford that gear at the moment. Do you have any pointers re: skills and talents for my FOT build?

Thanks again for the great guide!
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 01:22 AMPosted by Nullius
Do you have any pointers re: skills and talents for my FOT build?

There are a few different focus of skills for monks atm, and a few variation of it.

Theres the FOT/ cyclone build that does not need much introduction.

Theres the TR build like what you see on those you mentioned.

Those are the 2 main ones atm. The minority would be builds with 2 spirit generator for various bonuses, or a 40 spirit bell spamming build, which kinda died down at the end of 1.04.

The build im using is a variation and combination of FOT/cyclone and bells. Rather than spamming at 40 spirit, the build uses stun. Theres a guide on the forum written by deathlock which shows a skill set to utilise this build, which has a slightly different setting as mine i think. I vouch for this build, it is very fun. :)
Reply Quote
11/18/2012 05:54 AMPosted by Heisenberg
What am I missing here?

I looked at your profile. the biggest difference imo is from the lack of double crit dmg from weapons. Piff's have natural crit dmg AND socket. Also piff's jewels have ALOT of average dmg on them. They account for alot of dps.

I aim to put average dmg on my jewels too, but i need atk speed and crit chance for my build to work, so those will hav to wait. For now ill need to live with lower dps. Lucky my foes are usually stunned. :P
Reply Quote
A note about the surcoat since its come up a few times. For me the EHP boost from it and its 2 piece was worth way more then the cost in equivalent gear with either innas or witching hour. My surcoat cost me 4mil on a bid and I haven't found anything close in that price range with similar stats. Also the 2 piece bonus can make up for lost vit elsewhere. This is a great guide and deserves a sticky. Nice one piff
Reply Quote

I've been pretty faithful to your guidelines and I'm pretty happy with my new budget monk -- not including the Inna's set pants that were donated to me, I was able to completely re-gear my monk for a shade under 6M while sniping the AH for the past few days.

Aside from replacing gems (especially in my weapons), can you think of any additional areas that will bump up my dps? I'm looking for anything cost-effective that I might have missed.

Also, I've been trying to review builds of high-paragon level monks, but it seems that they are all mostly tempest rush builds for farming low MP levels. I simply can't afford that gear at the moment. Do you have any pointers re: skills and talents for my FOT build?

Thanks again for the great guide!

Glad it helped! Looking at your gear, I think you've done a great job. There's no piece that screams out to me "replace me!" Basically now you just need 'more' of everything - higher dex, crit, as, etc.

As for your build, I'm not at all the most knowledgeable person on the subject, but what you have looks good. I personally like using SSS because of the extra invulnerability it provides; some people say that it's not worth it because of the cooldown or the damage, but whatever ... it's very monk-ish :) I have also flip flopped back and forth between using Blind/Heal, and I'm sure someone out there has the math on which is better. You might want to give Ascension a try for your Serenity rune, the extra second doesn't sound huge, but it can be pretty helpful.

I wanted to ask a question.

I was looking through your guide on the front page and got to the budget sets, and I am confused. My monk (Monkey) has better items in every single slot than the 3M budget monk, yet is only pushing barely 60k dps (in his dps set, MF atm). More Dex, crit chance, damage, you name it. Even sports some bonus life on hit and life steal.

Anyway, than I hit the 90k dps budget monk, holy cow. Once again, most of my gear is better than what he has...yet he somehow at 90k dps.

What am I missing here?

Well, given that your profile has your magic find set currently equipped, it's hard to tell you what the difference is :P

Log out in your DPS gear and post when your profile is updated and I'll tell you what's going on.
Reply Quote
Ok, here's the difference between your set and my 67k set:

Places where I have more damage:
Hat: My helm has 36 more dex and 0.5% more crit. That's ~1100 dmg from the dex and ~450 from the crit.
Chest: I've got ~20 more dex on my chest (extra socket). That's another 600 dmg.
Gloves: My gloves have 25 more dex, 2.5% more crit, but 10% less CD. That's ~750 from the dex, ~2200 from the crit, and less ~1000 from the CD - so almost 2k more on the gloves.
Bracers: Your bracers have 10 more dex than mine, but 1% less crit. So less 300 for the dex, but +900 for the crit.
MH Ring: My ring with 4.5% crit is actually ~750 more damage than yours.
Nats combo: Total you've got 178 dex, 9% AS, and 7% crit. Total I've got 307 dex, 4% crit, and 78 damage. Doing some really rough math here (TAG isn't being helpful with this calculation), my combo actually comes out ahead by ~700 damage.
MH: This was an incredible craft, and since it has LS on it it's not really fair to compare to my two weapons which were pure DPS ones. But my spear is worth ~1300 more dps.
OH: This is what is killing your damage (imo). Again, perhaps not a fair comparison since you have got LoH and LS on it, but the mace I used is worth ~10,500 more dps.

Places where you have more damage:
Ammy: Your amulet is 2k more damage than mine.
Pants: Between the 130 dex for the set piece, 1% CC, and 8% AS, you're getting 6500 more damage here.

I would be happy to offer some help on where to go from there, but the Ravens are playing tonight and I need to go help cook dinner. So hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to give you some ideas.
Reply Quote
Any suggestions would be great, I was thinking of selling my nats ring (self found) and nats boots (bought, because of ring find) and grabbing an avg ring with loads of dex and a pair of boots with 250+ dex. Not sure that will put me even close too 90k though.

I think selling the combo is a very good idea for now, since the dex and overall stats are a little low. I would definitely look for a good ring with good average damage and other stats. I think your MH is very nice, but I think your offhand is pretty weak offensively. I would look to add CD + OS to it. If your resists are ~850 i think you could definitely sacrifice some for some more offense too.
Reply Quote
Thanks guys, glad you like my sword too. I like never craft stuff... pretty insane for just dumping mats I thought. I will sell off my nat's set, I really do not like how with the nat boots and ring it 2 more slots where I cannot have any vit (pants included).

Got a way better chest, good deal on it too, 500k bid / 5 m buyout, snagged it for 500k :)

Also about my off hand, I may just keep that for the butt loads of self healing it would give me, I am pretty much only building a solid dps set to take on high mp ubers, I did mp3 pretty easily, but would like to aim for 6-7 on my next phase of them. I would get more dps with a different off hand, but lose too much sustainability.

For reasons like that, I also keep a ~800 dps sword with 3% LS, OS and 90+% CD in my stash to switch out against reflect damage, to bring my LS to 5.5% overall and that seems to work pretty well. I use the EF for just about everything else. Just an idea
Reply Quote
Just stumbled onto the forums, thanks for the guide/excellent post! I'll fully admit I've been sort of hamfisting my way through gearing my monk, and am having some trouble finding an efficient/"cheap" gear setup to quickly farm low mp for paragon levels/loot, and a few pieces to swap for higher mp encounters and ubers. My farming build is a tempest rush style, and survivability has been a bit of an issue due to no sustain and mid-range DPS numbers, but it seems like skornes with lifesteal cost in the 20-100m range and sac a good bit of dps, which is why I haven't bothered trying to get one.

I'd like to use inna's pants as well to get the movement speed, but find the amount of life I lose doing it (and the price of them) is a bit prohibitive.

Any chance you could take a look at my profile and give me some general tips on the pieces that are bad/inefficient and need replacing first? My budget is in the ~15-20 million range and I would like to get closer to 100k dps.
Edited by Targetawg#1538 on 11/19/2012 9:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thought I would post an update. With a very small gold investment (10mil) I brought my dps from 70k to nearly 100k (factoring in the weapon I have a bid on in the AH)

The number one thing I improved on was my dex, managed to get an extra 600 dex from changing gear around.

Thanks for putting all this work into helping the monk community, helped me greatly.

Glad to hear it! Love to see people making good improvements :)

My farming build is a tempest rush style, and survivability has been a bit of an issue due to no sustain and mid-range DPS numbers ...

Any chance you could take a look at my profile and give me some general tips on the pieces that are bad/inefficient and need replacing first? My budget is in the ~15-20 million range and I would like to get closer to 100k dps.

So, the answer to your question kind of depends on whether you are looking to beef up your TR build specifically or whether you just want to improve your gear for general situations.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]