Diablo® III

[Guide] Gearing tips from Sir Piffle

My farming build is a tempest rush style, and survivability has been a bit of an issue due to no sustain and mid-range DPS numbers ...

Any chance you could take a look at my profile and give me some general tips on the pieces that are bad/inefficient and need replacing first? My budget is in the ~15-20 million range and I would like to get closer to 100k dps.

So, the answer to your question kind of depends on whether you are looking to beef up your TR build specifically or whether you just want to improve your gear for general situations.

I guess, and I may be wrong, I was hoping that the majority of the gear (for a tempest rush build and for general situations) would be the same, the exception being the couple spirit regen pieces the TR build demands (Inna head, stone of jordan). Ideally I'd like to focus on replacement gear that will benefit both builds, but am open to suggestions that will benefit one or the other specifically, and/or, any information on where I may just be going wrong in general.
Reply Quote
I'd like to echo the post above by Nillius. I gave up on my Monk back in 1.03 and just recently took a new interest in giving her another shot, but was very unsure how to best invest my gold wisely to make it worth my while.

After reading your guide I felt confident that I could completely regear my Monk for less than 20 million gold and see great results. Long story short, I'm up to 86k dps, 4.7k armor, 722 resist all and 38k hp... well above the 48k dps I was working with before!! Not sure if my profile updated yet... if not, you can really see how crappy my Monk was prior to this change.

Thanks again for taking the time to develop such a great, accessible guide!
Reply Quote
you are missing Critical damages make it to 350-400%
Reply Quote

I guess, and I may be wrong, I was hoping that the majority of the gear (for a tempest rush build and for general situations) would be the same, the exception being the couple spirit regen pieces the TR build demands (Inna head, stone of jordan). Ideally I'd like to focus on replacement gear that will benefit both builds, but am open to suggestions that will benefit one or the other specifically, and/or, any information on where I may just be going wrong in general.

Man, I started writing out this post and then I really started looking at your gear and ... I just don't know. You really need to get Inna's pants if you want to a) approach 100k dps and b) farm more efficiently (the whole point of TR). But you're going to lose almost 7k health and 70 resist if you do that ... so I started looking around at some of the other pieces that you could replace and realized that you have armor on a bunch of pieces to make up for the lack of StI.

So something like your Oculus ring, where you really need crit chance to get your dps up ... you already have high vit, a big chunk of resist, and armor. Or something like your bracers, where you don't have vitality ... you have 2x resist and armor too. So if you pick up vitality there, but at the expense of that +armor or one of those resists, are you really gaining that much? Your belt doesn't have 2x resists, but it does have nice armor and 10% life. Your amulet doesn't have vitality, but it does have resist and armor. Your boots don't have vitality, but they do have 2x resist and it's hard to find all of that + movement speed ...

You will probably want to get new gloves either way so you can find a pair with a second damage affix. CD is cheaper and won't adversely affect how much spirit TR costs, but AS is probably better in non-TR situations.

Out of curiosity, what MP do you usually farm with TR on? I don't use StI when I'm zooming around and even though I don't have +Armor on a lot of my gear I feel like I make out ok.
Reply Quote

Man, I started writing out this post and then I really started looking at your gear and ... I just don't know. You really need to get Inna's pants if you want to a) approach 100k dps and b) farm more efficiently (the whole point of TR). But you're going to lose almost 7k health and 70 resist if you do that ... so I started looking around at some of the other pieces that you could replace and realized that you have armor on a bunch of pieces to make up for the lack of StI.

So something like your Oculus ring, where you really need crit chance to get your dps up ... you already have high vit, a big chunk of resist, and armor. Or something like your bracers, where you don't have vitality ... you have 2x resist and armor too. So if you pick up vitality there, but at the expense of that +armor or one of those resists, are you really gaining that much? Your belt doesn't have 2x resists, but it does have nice armor and 10% life. Your amulet doesn't have vitality, but it does have resist and armor. Your boots don't have vitality, but they do have 2x resist and it's hard to find all of that + movement speed ...

You will probably want to get new gloves either way so you can find a pair with a second damage affix. CD is cheaper and won't adversely affect how much spirit TR costs, but AS is probably better in non-TR situations.

Out of curiosity, what MP do you usually farm with TR on? I don't use StI when I'm zooming around and even though I don't have +Armor on a lot of my gear I feel like I make out ok.

I typically farm with TR on MP0 - Act 3, the Kaho/Alkezier route. Ideally I need closer to 100k so I can just sprint through it all without as much doubling back and passing over mobs twice as I do now.

I've been in the same conundrum with my gear "what do I do/change, changing any one piece gets rid of things I need and are hard to find" for 2-3 weeks, and I think I finally figured it out tonight after rereading your post, what you search for in the AH, and using the d3up calculator. I'm a bit ashamed to say I didn't even realize a calculator like that existed, which is probably half my problem.

My current gear, while it has the stats I need, has them on the wrong items. I concentrated too much of my vitality on my pants so I could get double resist, movement speed, and a good bit of dex on my boots, I have a cheap and high damage amulet, but no real resist or vit, etc etc. as you went over in your post about the tradeoffs of each slot of my gear. I finally came to the conclusion that the only solution was to just regear myself in most slots to reorganize where I have the stats/etc that I need. This is what comes of just building off what you've found to be good while playing without using google-fu!

I'll post up my regear tomorrow once some auctions finish, I think I've kept my EHP about the same (~375k) and gotten up to 90k DPS or so with about 6-7m, some of which I should be able to recoup by selling off old gear. Still waiting on a few of the auctions to end however, so I may go a bit over that estimate if some of them sell for more then I expect.

Thanks a bunch for the help, it made it all finally click for me!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Hey piffle i had a question about LS and weapon choices, currently the only thing killing me running around farming keys in mp5 are mob groups with electrified AND reflect damage, shielding never helps either. i was wondering, should i be using a slower mainhand with more lifesteal? (yeah im workin on replacing the one im using, its poo poo i know)
Reply Quote
jaw dropping guide, in a good way of course! cant wait to go home and give it a shot!

thanks alot piffle, and the rest who have contributed in this thread.

can you give me some advise with regards to my gear?
Edited by yoshiki#1862 on 11/20/2012 4:42 AM PST
Reply Quote

Glad I could help, even though I don't really feel like I did much for you! The best is when people are able to just figure it out themselves.

11/19/2012 08:19 PMPosted by Keraphin
Hey piffle i had a question about LS and weapon choices, currently the only thing killing me running around farming keys in mp5 are mob groups with electrified AND reflect damage, shielding never helps either. i was wondering, should i be using a slower mainhand with more lifesteal? (yeah im workin on replacing the one im using, its poo poo i know)

Not sure what your D3 profile is, but in general yea, electrified and RD hurts. I honestly don't know how much the attack speed affects electrified damage, so I don't really want to tell you to switch to a slower weapon and then not have that help very much. One thing you could try is having a second LS or LoH weapon to swap in when you run into that combo, if it's giving you that much trouble.

jaw dropping guide, in a good way of course! cant wait to go home and give it a shot!

Your gear looks like it is in a good place for the most part. Your weapons are kind of lacking though, I think. You should at least look into replacing your WKL, which has really low DMG and not a great Lightning skill %. If you want to keep your LoH on that weapon, it'll obviously be more expensive ... but right now there's a WKL in the AH that has 850 dps, the same %lightning modifiers, 250 LoH for just 2.5 million. That'd increase your dps by 5500. If you don't need the LoH on it, the price drops substantially :P

Or if you aren't married to the idea of the WKL, you can probably find a rare for a good price as well.
Reply Quote
Piffle, i am struggling finding an upgrade for less then 50mil- anything you can suggest? I currenltly farm mp6 and can do mp7 or 8 with some deaths. I really don't want to drop below 50k health as i find it helps me in high mp level ubers but i know i can improve on dps. thanks!
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 09:26 PMPosted by seansky
Piff: i kinda notice most strat and guide concentrate on dps build, but not alot put any emphasis on EHP. I know with good sustain etc it becomes irrelavant, but for peeps like us in aussie we kinda just need them. Maybe you can add a seperate guide for ppl who wanna go a little more defensive but still wanna do dmg. :)

So, as Seansky requested, I (finally) went through and tried to make a tanky set. Given that I've never really done this, it was a pretty bewildering, yet oddly entertaining process. I didn't actually buy anything, since I'm not sure how much a tanky set would be in demand and I didn't want to get stuck with the gear :P

This was my first attempt, using the same rules as my very first budget set - pick a random resist and only look for items with buyouts. Using a handy dandy spreadsheet to record the stats of each piece, here was the result:

Price: 6,149,723
DPS: 38,274
Armor: 6,244
Resist: 1,030
Health: 56,771
EH (StI, OwE): 1,032,643

The only non-rare was the helm, Inna's Radiance. I went with a sword and board outfit and so I made sure to pick up a fast weapon (fist) to compensate for the lack of the DW bonus. There's no sustain, unfortunately, and I also think I went too heavy on EH and not enough damage.

I'm going to go back and see if I can end up with a more rounded stat sheet.

--------
@notjohnwayne It's going to be hard to improve your DPS if you're unwilling to sacrifice any health/resist/armor.
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 11/20/2012 11:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
Make that body go BUMP BUMP BUMP
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Tao
Not sure what your D3 profile is, but in general yea, electrified and RD hurts. I honestly don't know how much the attack speed affects electrified damage, so I don't really want to tell you to switch to a slower weapon and then not have that help very much. One thing you could try is having a second LS or LoH weapon to swap in when you run into that combo, if it's giving you that much trouble.

yeah not sure why its perma stuck on my WoW profile but, ive changed my wep so that it dropped a little bit of dps but got 3%ls instead of 2.3. seems to work a little better, what kind of LS+ LOH do u think would be good? currently at 3% and 659loh. D3 Profile is S0cialdist#1690 if you wanted to view it

EDIT: for mp5 and above that is. anything below that is no problem at all
Edited by S0cialDist#1690 on 11/20/2012 11:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
What level MP can these budget monks do?
Reply Quote
yeah not sure why its perma stuck on my WoW profile but, ive changed my wep so that it dropped a little bit of dps but got 3%ls instead of 2.3. seems to work a little better, what kind of LS+ LOH do u think would be good? currently at 3% and 659loh. D3 Profile is S0cialdist#1690 if you wanted to view it

EDIT: for mp5 and above that is. anything below that is no problem at all

That mix sounds pretty reasonable to me. Part of this also depends on how much damage reduction you have though, and your resist seems a little low at under 550 (if I did that math right). I can tell you that with 5.8% LS I have no issues with those types of mobs on MP 8.

11/20/2012 01:21 PMPosted by LuckyDog
What level MP can these budget monks do?

That's not an easy question to answer because it's based on skill and also a varying definition of what it means to successfully complete a MP level - are you trying to farm it for exp; are you trying to farm it for keys; are you trying to farm ubers; are you simply trying to kill every pack no matter how many times you die?

I also didn't bother to try and see what level of MP I could do with each gear set. Demiwraith, on the other hand, did. Here are his results for his own budget sets: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005435884?page=4#63
Reply Quote
awesome job, thx
Reply Quote

I typically farm with TR on MP0 - Act 3, the Kaho/Alkezier route. Ideally I need closer to 100k so I can just sprint through it all without as much doubling back and passing over mobs twice as I do now.

I've been in the same conundrum with my gear "what do I do/change, changing any one piece gets rid of things I need and are hard to find" for 2-3 weeks, and I think I finally figured it out tonight after rereading your post, what you search for in the AH, and using the d3up calculator. I'm a bit ashamed to say I didn't even realize a calculator like that existed, which is probably half my problem.

My current gear, while it has the stats I need, has them on the wrong items. I concentrated too much of my vitality on my pants so I could get double resist, movement speed, and a good bit of dex on my boots, I have a cheap and high damage amulet, but no real resist or vit, etc etc. as you went over in your post about the tradeoffs of each slot of my gear. I finally came to the conclusion that the only solution was to just regear myself in most slots to reorganize where I have the stats/etc that I need. This is what comes of just building off what you've found to be good while playing without using google-fu!

I'll post up my regear tomorrow once some auctions finish, I think I've kept my EHP about the same (~375k) and gotten up to 90k DPS or so with about 6-7m, some of which I should be able to recoup by selling off old gear. Still waiting on a few of the auctions to end however, so I may go a bit over that estimate if some of them sell for more then I expect.

i started using and tweaking the tr build (to my liking) for a couple weeks now so think i could chime in on this.

im running with 290 loh/942 lps (my only sustain) 400 resist (could be higher but works so i dont wanna bother upping it) 4k armor (could be higher but once again works so dont matter) 38cc (would like this higher but dont have a hellfire with cc) 365 cd 46k hp and 114k damage

low 30s crit was pretty !@#$ty much much better close to 40%

4 piece innas is very useful for the sweeping wind reduction (allows you to spam sw between fights to keep your regen up)

get rid of overawe rune (shouldnt be spamming anything besides tr) and put in submission its great for cleaning up leftovers with little hp left.

drop seven sided for the air ally he is also great for cleaning up scraps and with the templar and submission plus if you ever run low on spirit he can randomly fill you back up. im actually at a toss up right now of using the ally of blazing wrath for damage bonus since my spirit seems to be fine

now for gear

not sure about your budget but a skorn closer to 1400 damage would help quite a bit and they are cheap as hell with dex and any random mod thats not ls. mine only cost 4 mill on a buyout which was prolly slightly overpriced. this would also help with your hp since you could get one like mine or even higher vita to make up for the armor lacking it

get rid of your oculus ring for a unity. this will give a big damage bump along with crit and a small amount of loh which is all you need for mp0. not sure about prices but you could prolly find one with your single resist or vita or socket or something of that nature for fairly cheap

change your belt for innas with vita or life% (pref vita since you have low hp)

change your chest to innas with 200+ vita this would help alot with your hp issue and changing the ring/belt but this might cost a bit

change your helmet for higher vita or life % instead of the armor

if you made these changes it would keep your hp decent along with bumping your damage up quite a bit. your kinda stuck with the way you geared that you cant just swap 1 part and call it good. all the upgrades i suggested are fairly cheap except the chest but that can be used outside of the tr build also. when i swapped i already had a decent balanced dw gear setup. all i had to do was swap my ammy/helm/weap/gloves which cost about 7 mill total for all

http://youtu.be/WOtqjX6v2x8
quick video of it. even with the frenzy shrine able to keep tr goin without running out of spirit.
Edited by AdamR#1217 on 11/20/2012 4:51 PM PST
Reply Quote

Glad I could help, even though I don't really feel like I did much for you! The best is when people are able to just figure it out themselves.

11/19/2012 08:19 PMPosted by Keraphin

Your gear looks like it is in a good place for the most part. Your weapons are kind of lacking though, I think. You should at least look into replacing your WKL, which has really low DMG and not a great Lightning skill %. If you want to keep your LoH on that weapon, it'll obviously be more expensive ... but right now there's a WKL in the AH that has 850 dps, the same %lightning modifiers, 250 LoH for just 2.5 million. That'd increase your dps by 5500. If you don't need the LoH on it, the price drops substantially :P

Or if you aren't married to the idea of the WKL, you can probably find a rare for a good price as well.

i am actually very much like the idea of WKL, and at the moment i still cannot let the weapon go. i think it is quite hard for me to at the moment.
i was thinking of getting a WKL with ls, and a main hand with loh.
i was doing a quick comparision between the requirements in your search for the 90k dps equip and what i currently have, i dont see where's that big difference to help me push my dps to that mark. what am i missing out? even if i change my 2 weapons and each giving me additional 5-6k dps, that's only a total of 60k dps, still 30k away from your experimental build.
Reply Quote
Yoshiki, I've looked at the Monk on your profile. Here's some general advice for anyone shopping on a budget that would apply to you:
1. Get dex on weapons. Generally, a socket+cd weapon will be much more expensive than a socket+dex weapon, allowing you to get a weapon with higher dps for the same price. The reason: dex is only useful to Monks, cd is good for everyone. Always look for dex on weapons.

2. Look to get "budget" trifectas on every piece of jewlery: cc,ias,damage or cc,cd,damage. Prefer it even to dex. You can't get those stats on other gear. Even 5% ias is worth more than 100 dex.

3. Do not buy legendaries prematurely. You pay a hefty "legendary tax" for them and they should generally be avoided until they are the most efficient way of increasing your dps. Even then, they should be bought in the right order. After the helm, inna's pants are usually next. The 130 dex set bonus makes that a much more effecient purchase then, say, a Vile Ward.
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 11/20/2012 5:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
This is a great thread and I'd like some input from everyone.
You can see my profile to get an idea of my gear.
According to d3up, my effective hit points stand at 562k with 72,941 dps.
I have 5,764 armor, 646 all resist, and 45k life.
I have been in the process of moving my armor/resists to my shoulders, chest, boots, and belt with the belt being next in line.
After that I plan on replacing my jewelry with more damage oriented pieces.
I am hoping to get to 100k dps without losing any ehp.
Would it be in my interest to replace the cindercoat and belt with blackthorne's pieces?
My offhand could also use replacing right now. The loh is basically pointless lol. Any recommendations?
Reply Quote
I can get up to 200 vit on the surcoat along with +armor and fire res and use the sockets to get dex (with crappy gems) on par with my current cindercoat.
The belt already has +armor and better dex which is something I would be looking for anyway. However, it only has 2 extra props. Getting a high all res roll and vit will be expensive. Vit and a high fire res would cost me 66 res all. All res and fire res would probably be costly as well and mean that there would be very little change in my hps. 263 vit + 5% life vs 270-300 vit and no %life. I could get a rare belt with ~450 armor, mid 100's dex, and vit, and similar resists to bring me to a similar amount of vit while keeping the 5% life bonus.

This stuff can be a pain at times lol.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]