Diablo® III

[Guide] Gearing tips from Sir Piffle

Sticky requested =)
Reply Quote
Very helpful. Thanks.
Reply Quote

i am actually very much like the idea of WKL, and at the moment i still cannot let the weapon go. i think it is quite hard for me to at the moment.
i was thinking of getting a WKL with ls, and a main hand with loh.
i was doing a quick comparision between the requirements in your search for the 90k dps equip and what i currently have, i dont see where's that big difference to help me push my dps to that mark. what am i missing out? even if i change my 2 weapons and each giving me additional 5-6k dps, that's only a total of 60k dps, still 30k away from your experimental build.

So, TAG currently has you at 52k dps.

Swapping the spear in my example for your MH gives an increase of 7500. Swapping the Sickle for your OH gives an increase of 13700. So switching those two weapons alone brings you up to 73640. Now, part of that is the fact that I have 2 90% CD gems, but that's only about 2000 dmg. Part of that is also that the WKL has 'hidden' DPS that you don't see on the paper doll, while the Sickle does not. But the rest is simply that mine have higher DPS, dex, cd etc.

Another big difference is the pants. With your weapons Inna's pants represent an 8k difference (9% as, 1% crit, 130 dex for 2 pieces). With my weapons above, the pants represent an increase of 11k damage, bringing you up to 84k.

Lastly, the amulets are a little different; yours has a ton of dex and CD while mine has more avg dmg and CC. For your current gear, your amulet is actually better than mine by about 700 damage. However, with my weapons and the pants, my amulet is actually 2800 more damage, bringing your total to 87,460 ... quite close to the example.
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 11/21/2012 7:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
Without spending a fortune, what can I change to get back to 100k DPS. I dropped 40k to gain my current sustain. I need this to farm keys and organs, I can currently farm MP6 but like to do MP8+. Looking to spend less than 10 mill.
Reply Quote
This is a great thread and I'd like some input from everyone.
You can see my profile to get an idea of my gear.
According to d3up, my effective hit points stand at 562k with 72,941 dps.
I have 5,764 armor, 646 all resist, and 45k life.
I have been in the process of moving my armor/resists to my shoulders, chest, boots, and belt with the belt being next in line.
After that I plan on replacing my jewelry with more damage oriented pieces.
I am hoping to get to 100k dps without losing any ehp.
Would it be in my interest to replace the cindercoat and belt with blackthorne's pieces?
My offhand could also use replacing right now. The loh is basically pointless lol. Any recommendations?

I agree that your OH's LoH is low enough that losing it probably wouldn't be that noticeable (especially since you have LS on your MH). If you feel like your sustain is enough right now, I would suggest just going for a straight DPS piece there. You've got the LS on your MH and that will scale with your rising DPS. If you don't feel like you've got enough sustain currently, then you might need to look into getting either LoH or LS on your weapon. However, I'd suggest trying to get a weapon that has CD on it in addition to LoH/LS so that you see a good dmg bump.

As for the Blackthorne pieces ...

I can get up to 200 vit on the surcoat along with +armor and fire res and use the sockets to get dex (with crappy gems) on par with my current cindercoat.
The belt already has +armor and better dex which is something I would be looking for anyway. However, it only has 2 extra props. Getting a high all res roll and vit will be expensive. Vit and a high fire res would cost me 66 res all. All res and fire res would probably be costly as well and mean that there would be very little change in my hps. 263 vit + 5% life vs 270-300 vit and no %life. I could get a rare belt with ~450 armor, mid 100's dex, and vit, and similar resists to bring me to a similar amount of vit while keeping the 5% life bonus.

This stuff can be a pain at times lol.

Let's see, Cindercoat + Rare belt:
Armor: 1151.5
Dex: 259
Resist: 227.5
Vit: 263
Life: 5%

Blackthorne's Belt (2x resist) + Chest:
Armor: 1089.5
Dex: 425
Resist: 211
Vit: 275
Life: 0
LpS: 296
Ranged Reduction: 6%
Cost: 47,500,000

*I got these prices from current items in the AH. Chest is 7.5, belt is 40.

Blackthorne's Belt (FR and vit) + Chest:
Armor: 1079
Dex: 420
Resist: 165
Vit: 367
Life: 0
LpS: 266
Ranged Reduction: 6%
Cost: 17,500,000

*I got these prices from current items in the AH. Chest is 7.5, belt is 10.

In each scenario you're picking up ~170 dex but losing a little armor (~80). The belt having 2x resist keeps your resist about even (lose 16) and your health around the same. The belt having FR and Vit loses you ~60 resist but gains you ~4k health.

I am not sure I would want to spend 17.5-47.5 million gold for that sort of trade off in stats.
Reply Quote
Great thread! I'm gonna keep it in my bookmarks as a guide for my monk. Thanks, Piffle.

Before this, I had 1.3m gold just laying dormant, and I really wasn't sure what to upgrade. I've spent about half of it and increased my DPS considerably. :)
Reply Quote

This was my first attempt, using the same rules as my very first budget set - pick a random resist and only look for items with buyouts. Using a handy dandy spreadsheet to record the stats of each piece, here was the result:

Price: 6,149,723
DPS: 38,274
Armor: 6,244
Resist: 1,030
Health: 56,771
EH (StI, OwE): 1,032,643

The only non-rare was the helm, Inna's Radiance. I went with a sword and board outfit and so I made sure to pick up a fast weapon (fist) to compensate for the lack of the DW bonus. There's no sustain, unfortunately, and I also think I went too heavy on EH and not enough damage.

I'm going to go back and see if I can end up with a more rounded stat sheet.

Attempt #2:

Price: 11,399,724
DPS: 51,312 (or 53,694) - I can't remember which gem I used the first time in the weapon
Armor: 5,707
Resist: 936
Health: 39609
EH (StI, OwE): 716610.74
LoH: 898

I made changes to the jewelry, weapon, and pants. Originally I had +armor, dex, vit, res, crit , and avg dmg on the rings. I switched to my normal setup though with dex, vit, res, crit 4.5+ and avg dmg 35+. For the amulet I wanted to get some LoH and I had enough res and health (I thought), so I got one with dex, 440 LoH, 9% AS and 26-57 dmg for just 500k. Total cost for the reworked jewelry: 1,150,000.

The weapon I added LoH to my filter and ended up with a sword that had 458 LoH for 2.5 million (twice as much as my original weapon, and 30% less CD).

The pants I decided to go with Inna's because, even though they aren't great for EH, they are really nice for damage. Cost: 4.2 million.

So really, I've got half my total cost wrapped up in the pants and weapon, heh.

I gained a good chunk of dmg while keeping the EH over 700k (and this is EH that doesn't factor in block or dodge; with both of those factored in you're over 1.4 million). I also added 18% AS to help with the slowness factor and almost 900 LoH to help with the sustain.

---------
edit: it's interesting that with this low CD dmg how close the game between AS and CC gets. I just looked at AS rings and switched out the CC ones. Stats for that:

Price: 11,949,724
DPS: 52,831 (or 54,888) - I can't remember which gem I used the first time in the weapon
Armor: 5740
Resist: 920
Health: 42974
EH (StI, OwE): 759,220.63
LoH: 898

Now my iAS is up to 34% so I'm attacking at 1.876 as opposed to 18% and 1.652. Figure that should help with the LoH too.
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 11/21/2012 12:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Epic thread, you rock Piffle. Already helping me out a ton!
Reply Quote
Is Inna's set the most ideal for Monk?
Reply Quote
Piff: yeh without CD the IAS and CC does alot on their own. I actually prefer them over CD to start with, since they let me proc my quickening more, and cast more bells, means keeping champs stunned, and more cyclones. In that aspect, CD is secondary. CD makes ur DPS sheet look nice and dandy, but imo CC and IAS contribute alot more to our DPS than it shows.
Reply Quote
11/21/2012 02:32 PMPosted by DayOldHate
Is Inna's set the most ideal for Monk?

Eh. Parts of it are ideal. The helm is hard to beat for the price you can get it, and the pants are great for DPS and movement. That being said, they are missing a ton of resist and/or health. My original posts have a link to Morionic's breakdown of legendary/set items which is quite good.
Reply Quote
added and pm'd you, do let me know what i can get next for my monk thanks!
Reply Quote
free bump and wish for a sticky!
Reply Quote
thanks alot for your detailed analysis piffle. waiting to do some upgrades if i get lucky in ah again this weekend.
Reply Quote
@piffle

This is my 1st ever posting on the forums since I played. I feel like i've kinda got stuck in terms of upgrading my monk further. My aim is to reach 100k dps and end at 150k dps dual wield. Any advice?

1 thing i'm on my mind is to replace one of my weaps to Echoing Fury. Is there a need, or should I concentrate on upgrading my gear 1st?

any other monks able to give advice would be great too!
Reply Quote
@piffle

This is my 1st ever posting on the forums since I played. I feel like i've kinda got stuck in terms of upgrading my monk further. My aim is to reach 100k dps and end at 150k dps dual wield. Any advice?

1 thing i'm on my mind is to replace one of my weaps to Echoing Fury. Is there a need, or should I concentrate on upgrading my gear 1st?

any other monks able to give advice would be great too!

Getting to 100k is easy. Survivng at high MP levels at 100k is not. Looking at your gear and life, I would say anything past MP3 would be very tough. I would replace the sword and get Inna's pants. Why do you have square gems in your chest, won't make a huge DPS difference but the amount of gold you spent elsewhere it's strange you didn't upgrade those.
Reply Quote
@Demiwraith
thanks for your advise.

1) i think i got the inna helm too early. i didnt even know the helm could roll resis. now should i sell and look for 1 with resis (compensate for the double stack resis i am going to lose on my pants if i get the inna pants)?

2) i got the wailing host ring, not sure if i should sell it and find a ring with trifecta?
Reply Quote
@Luckydog

Thanks for the comment.
I'm planning to swop the sword with an Echoing Fury.
About the chest set, i put the wrong one in the current profile, it should be my inna's chest with better gems as well. i would use this set when i want to increase my AR though.
I didnt upgrade much cos i'm relatively a poor toon, havent found any drops that allow me to have a super upgrade. That's why i'm being kinda tight with my gold and didnt upgrade the gems in this current set.

Besides the inna's pants, wot do u think i should be looking at as upgrades?

**edit: this is the profile i run with for mp5 to hunt keys and such.
Edited by k1ndred#6175 on 11/23/2012 10:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Luckydog

Thanks for the comment.
I'm planning to swop the sword with an Echoing Fury.
About the chest set, i put the wrong one in the current profile, it should be my inna's chest with better gems as well. i would use this set when i want to increase my AR though.
I didnt upgrade much cos i'm relatively a poor toon, havent found any drops that allow me to have a super upgrade. That's why i'm being kinda tight with my gold and didnt upgrade the gems in this current set.

Besides the inna's pants, wot do u think i should be looking at as upgrades?

**edit: this is the profile i run with for mp5 to hunt keys and such.

I'm very surprised you could run mp5 with this set up with very little vitality and just a bit of sustain.
Reply Quote
I do mp5 for key runs only. of course, I would die here and there, depending on the Elites i meet.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]