Diablo® III

[Guide] Gearing tips from Sir Piffle

Hey Piffle, I have this thread favorited, hopefully it never expires. I want to thank you for the effort you put into writing this guide, and you should know that what you are doing is not a thankless job! You have my thanks again!

Markness (aspiring Monk)
Reply Quote
11/22/2012 08:24 AMPosted by Darain
added and pm'd you, do let me know what i can get next for my monk thanks!

As I mentioned in-game, it's a little tough to give you advice without knowing whether you are trying to drop OwE permanently or if that's just your setup for TR build. Obviously if you want to use OwE for high MPs then you need gear with a matching resist.

@piffle

This is my 1st ever posting on the forums since I played. I feel like i've kinda got stuck in terms of upgrading my monk further. My aim is to reach 100k dps and end at 150k dps dual wield. Any advice?

So, it looks like you've purposefully sought out MF on your gear - to the point where your belt is the wrong resist. If you are serious about reaching 100k dps and are unable to dual wield credit cards, I think you're probably going to have to give up the MF.

I think your weapons are going to hold you back in the long run since they don't have sockets. But you might be able to replace some of your armor even quicker/easier. Your gloves are nice, but they're the wrong resist. Your Prowlers really aren't doing much for you outside of the MS - get a rare pair. Your belt is the wrong resist and has low dex. That would be where I would start if I were you.

Hey Piffle, I have this thread favorited, hopefully it never expires. I want to thank you for the effort you put into writing this guide, and you should know that what you are doing is not a thankless job! You have my thanks again!

Markness (aspiring Monk)

Thanks, glad people appreciate it =)
Reply Quote
piffle can you takek a look at my monk. my next plan to upgrade is to drop 150million into a new wpn with LS, but im sitting with a wpn with 10IAS and im looking for smth with 10IAS and LS as well. if i pick a wpn with only LS and without IAS my attack speed drops from 1.96 to 1.78, i feel like im stuck into having pick a wpn with IAS now and can't find anyway to put ias into to make up for the lost of wpn without IAS

ps im at 92k unbuffed 1.96IAS 6800armour 709 resis
Edited by beh#1959 on 11/27/2012 8:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
piffle can you takek a look at my monk. my next plan to upgrade is to drop 150million into a new wpn with LS, but im sitting with a wpn with 10IAS and im looking for smth with 10IAS and LS as well. if i pick a wpn with only LS and without IAS my attack speed drops from 1.96 to 1.78, i feel like im stuck into having pick a wpn with IAS now and can't find anyway to put ias into to make up for the lost of wpn without IAS

ps im at 92k unbuffed 1.96IAS 6800armour 709 resis

This is the most impressive S&B profile I think I've seen: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/jco310-1218/hero/10229623

He's got a witching hour, which (heh) can roll up to 9% AS. You'll also notice that he has AS on both his rings. Honestly though, his axe is at 1.38 which is less than a regular sword or fist. So I dunno.
Reply Quote
Updated the link to Morionic's post about Affixes, as I had the wrong link there. Wooooops.
Reply Quote
Piffle, spent some time regearing based on our chat earlier in this thread, and here's where I'm at (you can look at my profile). The only difference is that I now have a 90% crit gem in my weapon, and vitality gems in the pants, for some more HP and net same DPS (85k). I'd like to find some HQ (shoulders, amulet) with vitality so i can go back to dex gems in the pants, so that's where I'm starting to look, but everything seems a bit ridiculous on the price side. As it is I did all of this gearing for ~15M I think.

Any advice on steps forward to hit 100k now that I've got my gear to be less wonky and more sensible?

And in happy news, I solo'd all three uber encounters last night on MP6 - was quite a challenge and netted 2/3 pieces, Ghom/Raka weren't giving with theirs. I'll be going back to do it again to grab my hellfire ring, but would appreciate any advice specific to improving my ability to do ubers.
Reply Quote
Hey piffle i was pointed in your direction for gearing services. I have a 50 mil budget. Was hoping for you to set me up with a nice build and gear if possible. If interested pls add me ingame
Canaduh#1130
Reply Quote
Hey piffle i was pointed in your direction for gearing services. I have a 50 mil budget. Was hoping for you to set me up with a nice build and gear if possible. If interested pls add me ingame
Canaduh#1130

Umm. Were you just looking for general directions or did you want me to buy it for you?

@Target I'll write back to you later.
Reply Quote
Hi Piffle! I just wanted to say I really appreciate the work you put in to this guide, it has really helped.

I would also Like some advice on my current gear (right now I'm bidding on some rings and an ammy) so really anywhere you see that I can improve would be appreciated! I know my weapons aren't amazing, but I'm more worried about my survivability. I have about a 40m budget.

I also sent you a request in game because I thought that would be the easiest way to have a discussion with you.

EDIT: Oh and +1!
Edited by Oath#1564 on 11/28/2012 4:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
@piffle
i read through the whole guide and all 7 pages and i think i can manage to do this myself, my monk is naked, i left him behind a while ago to play barb for a while, and i got bored, so now im coming back to my monk (as i always seem to do)
do you do full gear ups for people (as in purchase the items for them) i was just curious, i tried to gear up via a guide for my wizard, and that was a huge failure. so i would rather not risk the gold if i can avoid it. i have about 17-20mil to work with. and at the min would like to get back to where i was with my barb, (farming mp5) if you can do anything for me please send me a friend request so we can talk. if not i can shoot you a friend request tmrw when i wake up.
Reply Quote
Hi Piffle, I wonder what is the huge difference between my dual wield monk and ur monk, which result in a 15k dps difference?

I can simply boost my DPS to >120k when using Skorn and some ring changes. But still prefer SnB / Dual Wield :).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Hey Piffle i just found this post yesterday and have read every single post in here. I love your guide. I am currently playing a WD but i recently got my monk to 60 and love the playstyle of him. i was wondering if you could help me build a gear setup. 45mil budget. Syphoned#1637 add me plz.
Edited by Syphoned#1637 on 11/29/2012 6:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Target
If your goal is to reach 100k then there are some pieces that jump out at me that you could replace and see damage jumps. Obviously your Hellfire ring is not ideal, but that's probably harder to replace than other stuff since it's all completely random. Your MH ring could provide a nice chunk of damage if you got a second dmg affix on it (whether that is xx-xx dmg, cd, or as is up to you). Your gloves could use a second dmg affix on them as well (since you're 2h, I'd think AS would be the way to go). And you'd actually probably see a big jump if you went with an Inna's belt as well, since the Skorn has black dmg.

Of course, switching all those to more offensive minded pieces is going to cost you a lot of resist and vitality but I think those are the easiest to upgrade in terms of DPS increases.

@Oath
For future reference, it will help most people if you post using your D3 profile rather than starcraft or something else. Since you friended me last night, I can check your D3 profile, but other people won't have that luxury.

I actually don't think your weapons are terrible. It's a little unfortunate that they are slower weapons given your LoH, but that's ok. So in terms of survivability ... your resists seem to be in a good place, but your armor and health are low. I actually think you could stand to lose a little resist and still be ok.

So with that in mind I think the first replacement would be your MH ring. If you can find something that drops the AR, maybe, in favor of dex/vit that might help (and obviously CC and another dmg affix). Something similar to the rings in my examples.

I'd suggest the same with your amulet. Drop the AR, gain some Vit, make sure you're getting CC and then one other dmg affix. The reason I suggest CC instead of CD is that 1% crit = 857.56 dmg for you and 1% crit dmg = 60.95 dmg. This means that the 31% CD on your ring is equivalent to 2.2% CC and the 51% CD on your amulet is equivalent to 3.6% CC. These are obviously very low rolls for damage.

Outside of that, you should look for places where you can increase your armor, because that's also low. It might be possible to get a similar helm that has +Armor instead of +Int for a reasonable price. You'll have to do some research for the other slots and see where you can pick up either +Armor or a nice chunk of +Str for the most reasonable price. You definitely want at least 4500 armor imo, and a goal of 5k.

Also, don't forget that a good offense also helps with survivability. The faster you kill things, the less time they have to hurt you. That's why I suggest moving your ring/Amulet to CC.

Hi Piffle, I wonder what is the huge difference between my dual wield monk and ur monk, which result in a 15k dps difference?

I can simply boost my DPS to >120k when using Skorn and some ring changes. But still prefer SnB / Dual Wield :).

Well, part of it is that I have 2xNat and you do not, and part of it is also probably that both of your weapons have Elemental dmg instead of being straight black damage like the Skorn (Inna's belt only affects black damage). That's partially why you see such a big jump with the Skorn.
Reply Quote
@piffle
do you do full gear ups for people (as in purchase the items for them) i was just curious, i tried to gear up via a guide for my wizard, and that was a huge failure. so i would rather not risk the gold if i can avoid it. i have about 17-20mil to work with. and at the min would like to get back to where i was with my barb, (farming mp5) if you can do anything for me please send me a friend request so we can talk. if not i can shoot you a friend request tmrw when i wake up.

11/29/2012 06:49 AMPosted by Sarkaan
Hey Piffle i just found this post yesterday and have read every single post in here. I love your guide. I am currently playing a WD but i recently got my monk to 60 and love the playstyle of him. i was wondering if you could help me build a gear setup. 45mil budget. Syphoned#1637 add me plz.

Just going to direct this at both of you - I am willing to help out in-game, but I don't think I will be around tonight, so the earliest I could possibly do this is Friday. I will also be on Saturday morning / afternoon and then probably not again until Sunday night.
Reply Quote
sounds good, i will try to get with you friday, i'm waiting on auction house stuff to sell anyways so i have enough money to gear back up.
Reply Quote
Woops, well here is my Diablo profile for other people.

I am in the process of upgrading my MH ring, still have 11 hours on a bid and I just as of this morning won a bid on an upgraded ammy. I actually won 2 bids for my ammy, and one gives me about 70 more total resists and 4k health, and one gives me about 4k more dps.

I am able to comfortably farm MP4 with my current items, but I was hoping to move up to maybe MP6-7. I tried duoing at MP7 and really couldn't do much at all.

I will start looking for +Armor in some weaker slots, a big upgrade I think I could do is in my pants but I haven't really been able to find any that makes it worth dropping them yet.
Reply Quote
@Target
If your goal is to reach 100k then there are some pieces that jump out at me that you could replace and see damage jumps. Obviously your Hellfire ring is not ideal, but that's probably harder to replace than other stuff since it's all completely random. Your MH ring could provide a nice chunk of damage if you got a second dmg affix on it (whether that is xx-xx dmg, cd, or as is up to you). Your gloves could use a second dmg affix on them as well (since you're 2h, I'd think AS would be the way to go). And you'd actually probably see a big jump if you went with an Inna's belt as well, since the Skorn has black dmg.

Of course, switching all those to more offensive minded pieces is going to cost you a lot of resist and vitality but I think those are the easiest to upgrade in terms of DPS increases.

Yea, that hellfire ring was...pretty atrocious. I'm working on getting a better one and farming more keys/mats for them, ideally I'd like to get a semi decent one before I stop farming it (at the very least vitality, attack speed, crit damage, crit chance, resists, SOMETHING useful on the 4 randoms).

Skorn has "black dmg"? When I look at Inna's belt it gives 8% to holy - how would that help with the Skorn? I feel like I'm missing something here..

My DPS (when I have on my DPS gear, nats ring is off now in my profile) I sit at about 86-88k DPS. Currently wearing gear to max my experience while I farm para levels, when I do ubers I switch out the head gem for a purple as well for the life bonus.
Reply Quote
well, i thought i would share, here is the result of my "budget" build, i worked with what i had, and i think i came out ok from a naked monk. full buffs with scoundrel

http://i.imgur.com/U7nQC.jpg
Reply Quote

Skorn has "black dmg"? When I look at Inna's belt it gives 8% to holy - how would that help with the Skorn? I feel like I'm missing something here..

Basically because the +8% doesn't add to holy damage itself, but rather it adds 8% holy damage to 'black' damage (or physical damage).

So, for example, your Skorn has all physical damage, so it gets 8% damage added to it. Scubasteve's OH has a 425-861 damage range, but 294-620 of that is poison damage. So the 8% will only apply to the black damage, or 131-241.

This thread does a much better job of explaining how that works: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004456313?page=1#6
Reply Quote
I just upgraded my chest, helmet and amulet and I am testing out how well I am able to farm MP6 for keys, it is pretty amazing what a slight gear change can do!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]