Diablo® III

[Guide] Gearing tips from Sir Piffle

11/26/2012 08:52 AMPosted by Piffle
added and pm'd you, do let me know what i can get next for my monk thanks!

As I mentioned in-game, it's a little tough to give you advice without knowing whether you are trying to drop OwE permanently or if that's just your setup for TR build. Obviously if you want to use OwE for high MPs then you need gear with a matching resist.

I'm trying to skip OwE totally, to free up a spare passive like Combination strke + Fleet footed + StI.

Can't do without armor bonus without a shield i find
Reply Quote
hey piffle, mind taking a look at my gear, ive been trying to hit the 100k dmg mark but i dont see any upgrades thatll cost less than 30mil.
which piece do you think i should upgrade 1st to increase my DPS?

i was thinking of changing my nats pieces for ice climbers and a good avg dmg/cc/cd ring.
but ill need to get cc lacunis to maintain max runspeed coz getting an ice climbers with MS is just too ridiculously expensive!

thinking of changing my WKL to a 1.2k DPS EF with socket ( no LS tho, they cost a ton!)

**i know the hellfire is not ideal, if i change it to my cd/cc ring, ill hit 100k but i need it for paragon leveling.**

p/s: sticky requested.

and these days, you can make a char with 55-65k DPS with 1.5mil gold easy. just have a look at my other toons. i spent less than 1.5mil on each of their gears. lol
Reply Quote
Well, obviously your WKL has a big chunk of hidden DPS, and the EF would not have that issue.

I'm not a huge fan of Lacuni Prowlers, it's too hard to find ones with good rolls. I guess if you got a good one it'd be ok. One thing you might look into instead is a better Nat ring. Not sure of prices on those these days, but I got mine for 36 mill a while ago so it might be possible for you to find a similar one within your budget (the avg dmg on mine would add almost 6k dmg for you).

I guess you could always try to find a Witching Hour, too.

As to your PS, yea, gear prices continue to drop. I should probably post an updated set :P
Reply Quote
I have added an updated set example here (it's at the bottom): https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005435884?page=1#5

~98k dps, 408k EH for around 15 million.
Reply Quote
Bumping this because I don't feel like responding to every individual post about gearing on the front page.
Reply Quote
Such a shame that such good threads get largely wasted on the people who need them most. Those monks asking for help will just keep spamming their threads instead of reading.

Still, Hooray for this thread!
Reply Quote
thanks for the reply Piffle, appreciate it.

ill survey the market for a good avg dmg/low cc Nats ring. but i think they cost close to 100mil. but i might just get lucky some day haha.

i know the WKL has tons of hidden DPS, but me wantz to see paper DPS! for teh LuLz :P

and i dont think changing to a witching hour is viable for me, i get the bulk of my hp from my belt :(

oh and do pray for me getting a good DPS roll on my hellfires. crafted 10+ so far and the ones im using currently are my 1st crafted lol. good chunk of resists.

p/s: still praying on that big money drop thatll let me change alll my gear. best thing ive sold so far are a pair of Zuni boots for 60mil lol.
<--- not too lucky with drops LoL
Edited by XecutioneR#6410 on 12/4/2012 8:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
I went through the AH and looked for gear that was 50,000 buyout or less today. I didn't buy anything so I don't have screenshots, but my handy dandy spreadsheet is usually correct:

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199644685#15

"Price: 496,564
DPS: 51,945
Health: 39,581
Resist: 676
Armor: 4681
EH: 442,078
MS: 11%

That's assuming you're using the same quality gems as you currently have (38 dex) in your armor and have 1 of the same in each weapon. Price does not include the gems. There's no LoH or LS, but at lower MP levels you shouldn't really need any."
Reply Quote
I'd like to thank you and Nameless for you guides and help.
Using the info in them, I am now at 86k dps unbuffed and either 558k or 627k ehp depending on the gem in my helm.
My next items to updrage are 1 ring, boots, and bracers. I would also like a better armor roll on my inna's pants.
I am going to get avg dam, crit chance, and ias on the ring, double resist on my boots and bracers while maintaining similar armor stats.
I want to get to 100k dps without sacrificing ehp. Then, it will be time for new weapons with ls and hopefully cd on both.

Thanks for the info, help, and inspiration.
Reply Quote
Glad it helped! =)
Reply Quote
i am still seeking to cross that 100k barrier without losing ehp, at the same time using my wkl.

i reckon my rare ring and amulet are the things to change.

- but for the ammy, nothing i could afford increase my dps due to the high dex on this current 1 which my friend lend it to me. anyway, should i get CC and CD or CC and IAS? or just go worth avg dmg, CC, dex and vit?

- as for my ring, the vit, resis, lps and armour is a good plus to my ehp and sustain.. i think i could afford a ring with +avg dmg, CD and IAS (and probably no other stats), but is it worth dropping the def stats?

thanks in advance for any constructive inputs!
Reply Quote
There's nothing glaringly off about your gear. I think you've just reached a point where you simply need more of the stats you've got.

Sorry that's not the most helpful answer, but if you've got a good base and you've geared smartly ... that basically just becomes the next step! =P
Reply Quote
Because needs to stay near top.
Reply Quote
Hi Piffle, could you help me out on gearing my monk? This is the first time I'm playing monk. All of her gear were found by my DH(main). As I tried her out on a few runs, I found that she dies quite easily. Maybe I'm not quite used to the playing style of monk. Don't really want to use TR build as I'm always grouping up.

Main thing is to get her to 45k Hp min and 100k dps. And at least 700res with owe. Able to throw in a 150m budget for her too.
Reply Quote
Is 2.5% LS enough to survive at MP 4 with about 70k dps?
Reply Quote
^
Reply Quote
Hi Piffle, could you help me out on gearing my monk? This is the first time I'm playing monk. All of her gear were found by my DH(main). As I tried her out on a few runs, I found that she dies quite easily. Maybe I'm not quite used to the playing style of monk. Don't really want to use TR build as I'm always grouping up.

Main thing is to get her to 45k Hp min and 100k dps. And at least 700res with owe. Able to throw in a 150m budget for her too.

I might be a little late since your stats look pretty close to these numbers right now.

You might have a little trouble at higher MP with just LoH instead of LS though.

12/09/2012 06:36 AMPosted by hysteri4
Is 2.5% LS enough to survive at MP 4 with about 70k dps?

Yes.
Reply Quote
To the top. Tired of reading the same thread asking the same questions. They're just as bad as all the sales thread!
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 10:30 AMPosted by Piffle
To the top. Tired of reading the same thread asking the same questions. They're just as bad as all the sales thread!

(1) Love the new thread title. :)
(2) Ummm.... don't you start some of those sales threads?

To everyone else. Read this guide & soak in the information - it's good stuff.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]