Diablo® III

Finding keywarden is NOT random

I know they can spawn anywhere, as i have found them in tiny little cracks on the edges of maps, BUT the spawn point is not random.
After doing many many runs (on low mp, as i still don't have a ring)
I have found that;
If you go to keywarden area WITH 5 stacks, he will appear a long way from the waypoint, making you search for ages.
If you go to the area WITHOUT 5 stacks, he will appear very close to the waypoint.

Now of course this isn't 100%. But 95% of the time this is how it works for me.

So if keyfarming, go after warden first, find him practically straight away, THEN go stack hunting.

Anyone else found this?
Reply Quote
this
Reply Quote
I was under the impression that 5 stacks was a requirement for a chance for the warden to drop a key....? Can a key drop without having 5 stacks?
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 03:51 AMPosted by mrHaPPy
I was under the impression that 5 stacks was a requirement for a chance for the warden to drop a key....? Can a key drop without having 5 stacks?

No a key can't drop but he will stay in the same place.

I haven't noticed this but now I'm interested.
Edited by fallecs#1451 on 11/10/2012 4:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
He does have a couple of spawn points, Blizzard actually said it isn't completely random because they don't want the keywarden in the way of someone lvling or such and not being able to get past him if he is too hard.

So they do have spawn points, just kinda off the 'main' track a little.
Reply Quote
Here is a, small, sample.
I was doing act 2 warden.
First 5 runs, i did VoTA, got 5 stacks, then went to Oasis.
Now, you know how Oasis has 2 massive 'sections'?
Well 5/5 he spawned in the OTHER section, to where the waypoint is.

So then, next 2 runs, i went straight to Oasis before getting any stacks. I found warden BEFORE even seeing a single monster, elite or white.
3rd time, he was in the same section.

Now obviously this isn't a large enough sample to prove anything, but this is just the latest of my runs. All my runs for each warden were similar.
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 05:00 AMPosted by Narull
they don't want the keywarden in the way of someone lvling or such and not being able to get past him if he is too hard

Would be nice if that would be true for act3. In act1, act2 and (mostly) act4 one can just pass him by (miss totally or run away) but in act3 it's difficult to avoid, which is a pain when you want to progress on the quest line.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
11/10/2012 05:01 PMPosted by Asmodeus
they don't want the keywarden in the way of someone lvling or such and not being able to get past him if he is too hard

Would be nice if that would be true for act3. In act1, act2 and (mostly) act4 one can just pass him by (miss totally or run away) but in act3 it's difficult to avoid, which is a pain when you want to progress on the quest line.

I agree and a blue also posted about its aying they are looking into moving him a bit more off the path.

Hopefully they do it sooner then later because he is harsh when lvling a new hero.
Reply Quote
I usually do act 1 runs (haven't been playing much recently though) and I've added killing the keywarden as the last thing I do.
For me 9 out of 10 times I go to the Fields of Misery wp, do a big circle around it and find him, takes a minute or two.
The 1 in 10 times that he isn't in that circle I usually end up clearing most of the map before I find him.
Reply Quote
Geez, i thought i was the only one that noticed it. this is what i do when on NV4, i go straight to the keywarden level then behold!!! I don't have to look far as he would appear so close to the check point. I ran back, get my last NV then back to the warden.

I know they can spawn anywhere, as i have found them in tiny little cracks on the edges of maps, BUT the spawn point is not random.
After doing many many runs (on low mp, as i still don't have a ring)
I have found that;
If you go to keywarden area WITH 5 stacks, he will appear a long way from the waypoint, making you search for ages.
If you go to the area WITHOUT 5 stacks, he will appear very close to the waypoint.

Now of course this isn't 100%. But 95% of the time this is how it works for me.

So if keyfarming, go after warden first, find him practically straight away, THEN go stack hunting.

Anyone else found this?
Edited by Bong888#6248 on 11/12/2012 3:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
It's always when you don't want to find the KW that he appears right before you, but of course when you do he's no where to be seen!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]