Diablo® III

Rend + Echoing Fury + Cold Damage with SoJ

So this subject is an extension to this thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004011417

Preface:
Here, I talk about Rend in a farming efficiency method. As some of you already know, Alkaizer was the first to popularise Rend as an AoE mechanic for XP farming. By using the Ravage rune, Alkaizer was able to expand the AoE damage to 17 yards instead of the normal 10 (could be wrong on this though) -- in effect, accumulating XP bonuses from a massacre streak. It also allowed him to dump fury and re-up by simultaneously hitting Battle Rage and Rend. That's a total of 40 fury for a gain of 1 second of Wrath uptime.

Moving on...
Now, I have been using Rend for awhile now (thanks to Lorenze who finally got me to commit to dumping War Cry a long time ago). It's an amazing AoE skill that absolutely puts Overpower to shame, allowing you to do massive damage on kiting creeps. A critical hit can do millions of damage and you can carry on with your business.

Tonight, a good friend of mine got a drop. It was this incredible Stone of Jordan that made my jaw drop: http://i.imgur.com/wW0zh.jpg

At first, I only saw the cold damage and figured it would help my Whirlwind management on condensing the creeps for more 'effective' damage. And that's really all it was -- until I saw my friend use the new Stone of Jordan to do this: http://www.twitch.tv/r1ckrolled/b/339994903

By condensing the packs together (i.e., slowing them down), Rend has far more effective damage with an Echoing Fury. You might be keenly aware of the fear procs that come with the Echoing Fury. I have it equipped in my main-hand -- my friend has his in the offhand. The fear procs can be difficult to manage and annoying to try and resolve. There are times I tap Rend and come up empty due to the fear procs.

No longer. Out of surprise, I picked up a 27% bonus to elites cold damage Stone of Jordan for 80m right after I watched the stream. The damage I do is vastly more effective for the reason in the last paragraph.

Compare the two: http://i.imgur.com/1Mrbj.png

I choose to keep the 27% one :)

I highly highly highly recommend that if you do use Rend and an EF, pick up a cold damage SoJ.

Oh, and for the record, my Rend + Battle Rage fury cost is 35 for a 1 second gain of uptime.
Edited by acrimony#1561 on 11/13/2012 11:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Welcome to the cold Soj club and dumping ur minus fury cost rend ik belt which was a bit inefficient compared to a wep throw one. Like I commented b4 on ur choice of the rend belt, I'm glad u made the switch.
Reply Quote
Btw ur friend rickrolled is using Inna pants and witching belt. Why didn't u advise him ? Lolol :p
Reply Quote
yeah, SOJ works wonders. to a certain extent, its also a defensive item because of the snare. even without EF, barb should definitely invest with cold damage. but never sacrifice attack speed break points for it. i was very impressed with you acrimony back when you weren't wearing EF because your dps is already approaching the clouds. now that you've switched.. well.. :D

also, get a 30% one man :D
Edited by Riffmaster#1749 on 11/14/2012 3:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
Rift,

Slam builds with cold Soj and EF is like endless stuns lol
Reply Quote
yeah i use that build too but with Skorn. WW for farming, hota for uber runs, and slam for fun times :D
Reply Quote
Maybe now you can learn to play without a fury generator for ultimate efficiency while utilizing overpower.
Reply Quote
Yeah we all know cold soj is good
I use overpower instead of rend for farming
Reply Quote
Hey acrimony, i've added you to get some advise. hope to hear from you soon.
Reply Quote
@acrimony

would you say that a cold SOJ is a must-have or a nice-to-have for a WW barb like mine? I borrowed one from a friend to try, dropped 40k dps but it was great fun because i could manage the mobs better, especially large ones and molten/reflect. Not sure to get one or not at this point in time given that i also have other priorities for my gear. :\
Reply Quote
@acrimony

would you say that a cold SOJ is a must-have or a nice-to-have for a WW barb like mine? I borrowed one from a friend to try, dropped 40k dps but it was great fun because i could manage the mobs better, especially large ones and molten/reflect. Not sure to get one or not at this point in time given that i also have other priorities for my gear. :\

been wondering the same thing, wanted to replace my litany for it, but dropping the str / AR / crit / elite reduction is a lot, it's only a 9k dps drop for me though, is it really that amazing.
Edited by Servindix#1727 on 11/14/2012 8:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 12:23 AMPosted by Lightofeast
Btw ur friend rickrolled is using Inna pants and witching belt. Why didn't u advise him ? Lolol :p

I tried to intervene. He won't do anything about it, so it's completely out of my hands :(

yeah, SOJ works wonders. to a certain extent, its also a defensive item because of the snare. even without EF, barb should definitely invest with cold damage. but never sacrifice attack speed break points for it. i was very impressed with you acrimony back when you weren't wearing EF because your dps is already approaching the clouds. now that you've switched.. well.. :D

also, get a 30% one man :D

I tried to find one for Rend -5 fury cost. Nothing. My friend has the only one in the server (that I'm aware of). Also, just checked; my profile DPS is buffed for some reason. I logged out with the DPS unbuffed. Maybe it cached in game.

@acrimony

I wouldn't say it's a must, but I think it's a must-have if you use an Echoing Fury. I have one in my main-hand and it's a beast. So long as you know you will be using Rend, cold damage plus a -5 fury cost to the skill will make a huge difference in farming efficiency. Some people can't do this though. One of them posted in this thread.

@acrimony

been wondering the same thing, wanted to replace my litany for it, but dropping the str / AR / crit / elite reduction is a lot, it's only a 9k dps drop for me though, is it really that amazing.

You have to do the calculations this way (having taken the ring you're replacing for the SoJ):

DPS * 1.30 (or whatever bonus you're using). The sheet DPS doesn't show the elite damage bonus.
Reply Quote
I sent you a friend request in game.

I just wanted to say, i tried using rend just now (the ravage rune) and i got rid of war cry impunity. I had first thought the loss of resist and armor would hurt me a lot, but after using it, i don't even really notice it in mp6 act 3. Thanks for the suggestion, i'm going to continue to play around with this and see how it goes. I wonder how things like LOH and Life Steal synergize with Ravage? Almost makes me think that bloodlust is unnecessary if you stack that already.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't say it's a must, but I think it's a must-have if you use an Echoing Fury. I have one in my main-hand and it's a beast. So long as you know you will be using Rend, cold damage plus a -5 fury cost to the skill will make a huge difference in farming efficiency. Some people can't do this though. One of them posted in this thread.

@acrimony

i dont have rend in my skill build but i am using EF. just unsure of how to weigh the significane of SOJ; in my case, huge drop in DPS vs. the ability to slow mobs when spinning and also having 2x% extra dmg to elites. :\
Edited by Jer#6187 on 11/14/2012 10:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
I highly recommend using an SOJ. The cold snare alone makes killing goblins a breeze. It's nice against elite packs that have monsters that enjoy running away. Couple this with weapon throw, and you're really narrowing the gap.

I'm trying to gear for more +bonus damage against elites (Like switching my Litany for Wailing Host), as elites are considered goblins, elites (blue and yellow), rares, and bosses. Those are the ones you want to burn down the quickest, and +damage against elites multiplies nicely.
Edited by Nefarious#1827 on 11/14/2012 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]