Diablo® III

Black Weapons

I've been seeing a lot of posts on here talking about black weapons e.g. weapons without any elemental dmg on them. Did I miss some major discussion on these? What am I missing?
Reply Quote
I suspect that inferno elites have some magical resistances.

So elemental damage weapons will be mitigated by the monster's resistances.

Physical damage is only mitigated by armor %, so I suppose the monsters have less armor than resistances.

Although I have really no idea.
Reply Quote
SOJ (and other such items) says it adds X% to some elemental damage.

What that actually means is that all of your "black" (or non-elemental) damage is increased by X%, and has the elemental type added.

So if you had a 5% cold stone of jordan, and a weapon that did 100-200 black damage, and 50-75 fire damage, you would get the 5% bonus only to the 100-200 damage, and not the 50-75 fire damage. It would also mean that your attack would be cold damage, in addition to fire damage (since you're doing both now), and cold damage snares things so your attack would now snare.

I hope that made some sense, mild hangover and my brain isn't 100%.
Reply Quote
SOJ (and other such items) says it adds X% to some elemental damage.

What that actually means is that all of your "black" (or non-elemental) damage is increased by X%, and has the elemental type added.

So if you had a 5% cold stone of jordan, and a weapon that did 100-200 black damage, and 50-75 fire damage, you would get the 5% bonus only to the 100-200 damage, and not the 50-75 fire damage. It would also mean that your attack would be cold damage, in addition to fire damage (since you're doing both now), and cold damage snares things so your attack would now snare.

I hope that made some sense, mild hangover and my brain isn't 100%.

This^

Black damage works with additional damage % items, elemental damage does not. A moderator made a post outlining this a while back, you can still find it with a little digging.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]