Diablo® III

Does anyone else miss maphack?

(Locked)

Somewhere around my 1,000th hour playing D2 on my second play through I realized that, "You know what? I hate having to find Baal every time." So I took matters into my own hands and was the better for it.

Sure it was cheating, but at that point the game didn't have anything new to offer me. So like D1 or any of the game genie entries that I referenced, I'm perfectly fine with that being the eventual outcome.
My only objection is bringing hacks and 3rd party programs onto battle.net. Blizzard openly supported the mod community and encouraged the use of 3rd party programs, provided they not be used on closed battle.net (not sure what open battle.net was about, never went there). Although, maphack was fairly unobtrusive, and the motivation to use it stemmed from the excessive amounts of time it took to find bosses on non-sorceress characters. I never used it, but I admit it was nice when you were trying to do the Anya / Ancients / act boss quests.

I had the same boredom issue as you, but I ended up trying out different mods in single player.

To add my two cents: there's a lot of people throwing around the word "cheater" in here. Take a stroll through some of the other D2 threads. Any time someone talks about Enigma, or BotD zerker axes, or Faith GM bows, or Dream helms, those people are using dupes. All of you shouting "cheater," are you so righteous? I was given a perfect Fortitude archon plate once. Once. I put it on my amazon instead of selling it to the vendor. That waives my right to call anyone a cheater in this game.
Edited by Bricken#1788 on 11/5/2012 7:43 AM PST

I understand completely. You're a fraud and a cheater and you don't care that you're a fraud and a cheater. You can put the PR spin on it that it's not wrong, and it's right.. but at the end of the day, cheating is wrong and not cheating is right. Period. If you violate rules in a game, you're doing it wrong. That isn't up for debate.

Who's debating it? I told you that wrong/right doesn't enter into the equation. It would be like if I was talking about the election and you decided to mention the weather to me. It's cute that you think the two are related, but I don't consider the weather when I vote and I don't consider whether something is right/wrong when I cheat in video games.

Also the word fraud as you used it applies to someone who passes themselves off as something they are not. In other words, you're using it wrong.

Too easy.
Please do not feed this troll and cheater.
11/05/2012 07:37 AMPosted by pettiblay
MH was great. But it probably caused a little spike on their servers everytime it was turned on.

MH would read into DII's memory to extract the map that the server had already sent to your client when you loaded the area. In other words, MH in DII would only reveal that which was hidden on your computer.

DIII's maps work very differently, as they are progressively loaded throughout an area when you explore it. This means that if you entered a new area in DIII and tried a maphack which works like it did in DII, it would only show a small portion of the map close to you because your computer has no knowledge of the map further out since it's still stored on Blizzard's servers, awaiting to be transmitted. Hence the always-on connectivity.

Is that a fact? Very interesting. Again, I don't plan on using MH in D3 (as things stand at this moment), but it's good to know about the difference in mechanics anyway.

Good post.
11/05/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Shanks

Bad news shanks, we're three pages in already and growing. Looks like the community desperately needs your help on this one!
Ok you bunch of hypocrites... if you find a c-note on the ground and there's a cop car parked along the curb 10 feet in front of you, are you going to do like the law says you should and turn that bill into the cops? (They'll take your name and if they can't find the rightful owner they'll get back in touch with you and you can have the cash.)

OR.... are you going to be a cheater... a rotten to the core criminal..... fold that bill up and put it in your pocket?

You act like somebody who plays a stupid video game should live by some religiously high moral standard that you don't live by in your real lives. Get off the computer, get a tan, get frikkin real.

I understand completely. You're a fraud and a cheater and you don't care that you're a fraud and a cheater. You can put the PR spin on it that it's not wrong, and it's right.. but at the end of the day, cheating is wrong and not cheating is right. Period. If you violate rules in a game, you're doing it wrong. That isn't up for debate.

Who's debating it? I told you that wrong/right doesn't enter into the equation. It would be like if I was talking about the election and you decided to mention the weather to me. It's cute that you think the two are related, but I don't consider the weather when I vote and I don't consider whether something is right/wrong when I cheat in video games.

Also the word fraud as you used it applies to someone who passes themselves off as something they are not. In other words, you're using it wrong.

Too easy.

Cheating being wrong isn't the same as the weathers effect on the election. Not even close. I'm not mentioning the weather, I'm calling you out for voting twice.

I use the word 'fraud' in the sense that you cheat, so you are "one that defrauds" aka, a cheat. So I used it properly.

Easier.
Ok you bunch of hypocrites... if you find a c-note on the ground and there's a cop car parked along the curb 10 feet in front of you, are you going to do like the law says you should and turn that bill into the cops? (They'll take your name and if they can't find the rightful owner they'll get back in touch with you and you can have the cash.)

OR.... are you going to be a cheater... a rotten to the core criminal..... fold that bill up and put it in your pocket?

You act like somebody who plays a stupid video game should live by some religiously high moral standard that you don't live by in your real lives. Get off the computer, get a tan, get frikkin real.

^ Another person who cheats at video games.
11/05/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Hippyhell

Bad news shanks, we're three pages in already and growing. Looks like the community desperately needs your help on this one!

Lol 3 pages of you arguing for the sake of it? Trolls have a way of keeping useless threads going and you are doing it perfectly. It's fairly easy to incite an argument, especially when so many people already hate you for what you are.

Not only are you a troll, but now you admit to being a cheater.

^ Another person who should get out of the basement and experience a little sunshine. You might be able to steal a hundred dollar bill from a little old lady if you're lucky.

Wow! It's been a while since I've seen such a one dimensional, black and white, you did something once and you are therefore labelled as such for the rest of your life, I don't want to consider anything anyone says and I'm absolutely right, kind of person.

Thanks for the laugh.

^ Another person who should get out of the basement and experience a little sunshine. You might be able to steal a hundred dollar bill from a little old lady if you're lucky.

I wouldn't give the bill to the officer, because he could just pocket it.. I'm not a very trusting person, so I'd go to the police station and have it all documented. If nobody claims the money, then it's mine. If it's claimed, then I get the pleasure of knowing I returned the $100 to the little old lady and did the right thing. I know the difference between right and wrong. Wrong would be to pocket the money and try to justify it as 'everyone would do it'. If it's your $100 that's lost, you'd be thrilled that you found an honest person to return it.
Most maps in d3 are so linear and samey that a maphack really wouldn't change anything. generally I run the same route every single time and at most I may miss 1-2 packs every act 3 run.

It wouldnt be very useful to me.

MH would read into DII's memory to extract the map that the server had already sent to your client when you loaded the area. In other words, MH in DII would only reveal that which was hidden on your computer.

DIII's maps work very differently, as they are progressively loaded throughout an area when you explore it. This means that if you entered a new area in DIII and tried a maphack which works like it did in DII, it would only show a small portion of the map close to you because your computer has no knowledge of the map further out since it's still stored on Blizzard's servers, awaiting to be transmitted. Hence the always-on connectivity.

Is this why, every so often, my [old] PC slows down temporarily? Is it downloading and storing new map info into my PC's memory?
90 Human Death Knight
i miss maphack and botting in d2 dearly
Edited by Ronnert#1627 on 11/5/2012 8:18 AM PST

Cheating being wrong isn't the same as the weathers effect on the election. Not even close. I'm not mentioning the weather, I'm calling you out for voting twice.

I use the word 'fraud' in the sense that you cheat, so you are "one that defrauds" aka, a cheat. So I used it properly.

Easier.

Is it really possible that my explanation went that over your head? I was evaluating the level of effect your input had on me and how I consider the things that you're trying to now point out. In other words, your rebuttal shows that you have no idea what I did there.

A fraud is someone who passes themselves off for something they are not. "One that defrauds" doesn't make the use here any more correct.

Dictionary 101: Just because the word "cheat" is listed as a synonym doesn't mean it's application is right in this context.

And thank you for writing "easier" at the bottom after screwing up both of your points. You're always good for a laugh.

Wow! It's been a while since I've seen such a one dimensional, black and white, you did something once and you are therefore labelled as such for the rest of your life, I don't want to consider anything anyone says and I'm absolutely right, kind of person.

Thanks for the laugh.

He admitted doing it more than once, there's a history going back to the SNES and gameshark.. he's into cheating, he's not ashamed of it, he just likes to spin it into something it's not. Comparing cheating using a maphack to buying gear using legitimate methods. It's just absurd, but obviously you also cheat and are okay with it. Let me guess, you did it "once"...

I also laughed.

Lol 3 pages of you arguing for the sake of it? Trolls have a way of keeping useless threads going and you are doing it perfectly. It's fairly easy to incite an argument, especially when so many people already hate you for what you are.

Not only are you a troll, but now you admit to being a cheater.

You're so simple sometimes it's astounding.

I'd explain why, but you're just here for entertainment and that would be too much like work.

So just keep doing what you're doing as you're only affect continues to be bumping my threads (and making me smile).
Only people that have played d3 for quite some time understand the efficiency that would come from a maphack. It has nothing to do with the predictability of the map - we're not trying to get to the next level, we're trying to efficiently clear elite packs. It's very annoying traveling in a direction for a minute or so that turns into a dead end without any elites. Speed and efficiency are the only reasons to keep playing after you've run through these boring maps for a couple months. I get how during that first month the maps may seem fun, and you like exploring them without knowing precisely whats around the bend. That feeling fades quickly, though, and you really just want to know where the packs were randomly placed on the map so you can just get it done. Blizz should just incorporate a map reveal into the game for those that would like to use it.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]