Diablo® III

Proctors - show yourself! still viable?

Hi, I am undecided on whether to continue to invest in proctor gear (freeze/stun) or switch out into other builds.

Any other WDs still pursuing this path and how successful have you been? What is your primary life sustain mechanics? LS/LOH/Life Regen?

Feedback/thoughts appreciated!

my profile page is not showing my proctor gear >>> this is the alternative bear+wos DPS route with LS...
Reply Quote
There are still a few of us left! I love it. Without SoJ and with follower I'm at 100k dips I run smoothly on mp7+ need a little more CC in my belt but I really enjoy the build. I a may have my mp0 gear in my profile. But I can highly recommend a good CC Skorn!
Reply Quote
Nope that's my CC gear. It is really hard to find good CC gear. I almost spend more time on the AH then I do playing!
Reply Quote
Not to mentions proctors are great for ubers we greatly reduce the incoming damage for the whole party combine it with bad medician mp8 feels like mp5
Reply Quote
The best skills WDs have to proc are RoT and Acid Cloud. So I would stack Life on Hit when possible.
I think it would be very hard to get high proc affixes without going for an Azurewrath or something similar. Gear other than weapons typically has very little procable (if that's a word) affixes.
As mentioned, good gear with the right affixes is hard to find.

To me it seems wickedly difficult to balance proc affixes with enough DPS to kill things if you are running solo. The proctor really shines as a support player.
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 11/9/2012 5:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Not trying to downplay the fun of procing, but after the monster damage nerf, any team capable of doing MP10 ubers doesn't need WD to proc anything.

Simply bring jinx garg/bruiser is enough. WDs are such good DPS characters it is just not worth it to waste time trying to proc. Kulle can get slippery and cause problems, garg/jinx is a good counter against Kulle.

Usually I do MP10 ubers with a barb/monk/CM wiz. Everyone sits right on ubers faces and DPSing non stop.

Some proc affixes on gears is nice to have, but focusing on it as a build, I personally don't find that necessary.
Reply Quote
I'm still using my proc items. They're sort of only useful now because I'm unable to straight dps down like the better geared players. There isn't much use for proc'ing anymore because many are able to straight dps down high mp levels and that's way more efficient than holding some mobs in place.

Acid rain LOH is probably still top 3 for life sustain
though.
Reply Quote
Did CM wiz do perma-freeze? Cos that's the most powerful proc I have seen, again

no doubt getting high dps is hard due to needing to get LOH/proc affix on gears, but with my proc gear I was able to solo mp7 uber with the exception of Kulle being difficult.
Edited by craime#2398 on 11/9/2012 5:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
Did CM wiz do perma-freeze? Cos that's the most powerful proc I have seen, again

Doesn't matter really, sometimes it is me and another bear Doc who brings garg/jinx too. Two WDs+a monk on ZK and Barb on Seige.

CC is no longer mandatory or that useful. The only fight that procing shines is Kulle fight which can be handled by respeccing.
Reply Quote
I too am a proctor right now i'm in my leveling gear but i have 120k dps in my normal gear with SOJ. LoH is how i survive atm but i want a LS skorn.
Reply Quote
In a word, yes.

A simple 4% freeze on your belt is sufficient to pretty much keep both bosses on DR for uber fights, Azurewrath would be overkill and do nothing more than gimp your dps since you'd be stuck on the max DR stop.

I get yelled at all the time for locking down SB when he picks up my WW barb bud. Can't help it man, I get acid tics for 3 seconds and they proc :).

I'm at 96k dps and find can run mp3/mp4 about as fast as I ran A3 prior to 1.05. At mp5 GI takes a hit, and by mp6 everything grinds to a drawn out aching wrist and finger fest. I do bosses on mp8 and rely on some higher dps buds to get stuff dead while I keep everything locked down and rez when they eat it (except when dpsing behemoth, reflect keeps me from rezzing for 3-4 seconds).
Reply Quote
Just picked up a chance to chill vile ward the other day to get closer to completing my set.

Proc effects aren't mandatory anymore for high MP levels, but it sure helps and makes everything easier. When fighting ubers I've never had anyone complain about me nearly stun/freeze/blind locking the mobs down :)

If you are patient you don't have to sacrifice much, if anything, to get proc effects on good gear. It hurts the most in the amulet, where everyone is sporting a tal rasha's. One of those would give me another 20k dps, easily.

Proctors are going to own in PvP, and I HATE gear swapping. I'm fine taking a dps hit in PvE if it means only carrying one set of gear for everything.
Reply Quote
I run a 0cd dogs sacrifice acid rain proctor build. Basically you run like the old vq/acid/bears. Spam acid rain to cc lock and LoH, interchange spamming sacrifice with mana rune and acid rain. Or if mobs get to hard just spam acid rain to cc lock and damage from a distance using dogs and gargantuan to tank for a few seconds before using the sacrifice when mana is low. It's kinda fun if you used to enjoy the old vq/acid/bears build.
Reply Quote
Just picked up a chance to chill vile ward the other day to get closer to completing my set.

Proc effects aren't mandatory anymore for high MP levels, but it sure helps and makes everything easier. When fighting ubers I've never had anyone complain about me nearly stun/freeze/blind locking the mobs down :)

If you are patient you don't have to sacrifice much, if anything, to get proc effects on good gear. It hurts the most in the amulet, where everyone is sporting a tal rasha's. One of those would give me another 20k dps, easily.

Proctors are going to own in PvP, and I HATE gear swapping. I'm fine taking a dps hit in PvE if it means only carrying one set of gear for everything.

I don't usually look for chill since the cold damage from my scoundrel takes care of that; however, for our group uber runs my scoundrel has been taking a break :).

Only times I get complaints are when siege breaker picks up another player. When you freeze him he resets his animation, and essentially I stun lock both SB holding the player indefinitely. If ZK is already dead it is pretty funny since they can't do anything anymore. If ZK is still spawning tornadoes and dropping the roof, eventually that player will die.
Reply Quote
Resurrecting an old thread.. any other proc-geared doctors out there? Still proc-gearing?

Blackjack is the only one i know still running full proctor build ^^

I just run a cob build nowadays, the edps is too huge to ignore.
Reply Quote
I think Blackjack is the last of the old guards.
Reply Quote
I run Proctor now and then but it's dps is just garbage compared to Bats, Bears and Sacrifice builds. Hopefully Blizz will make AC stackable in the next skill update, that should be enough to fix the Proctor dps issue and hopefully we will start to see more WDs take this route.

My Proctor gear is on me now. Check it out.

Kumarkia, the old VQ/AC/Bears still works. But its much easier and efficient to just build for bears alone.
Reply Quote
Still working it.
Reply Quote
cool, good to see the few!
Reply Quote
I recently came back to play, and tested proctor / LoH again (spec i used to play long time ago).

Recently posts of my experience 150k DPS.

Only fear and stun (Stun on rare gloves and freeze on TWH and mojo)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7414952546?page=2#31

ScaryedSoul variation (Fear on a LS EF and helmet)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9572657416?page=2#25

In resume, u r not going to die and it will be funny, but there is no way to kill faster than with CoB.

I still have some gear from both specs, if u r interested.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]