Diablo® III

Underwhelming Legendary Pings/Sound and Fix.

When patch 1.0.5 came out, blizzard decided to add some things to alert you to to legendary drops. While these are very helpful, it still isn't enough for some people who are trying to go through content fast to get maximum experience per hour, causing some legendary items to be missed still. Let's go through the changes they made and the problems that they currently have.

First of all, they added a nice light beacon. This pretty much guarantees you that if you got a legendary drop on screen that you will be able to see it. The problem is, that if you are too far away from the drop, you won't be able to see it if you are off screen, but the other 2 things they added should help with this, right?

They also added a nice sound when the legendary drops. This has problems. First of all, the sound is quite quiet. If you are in the middle of a group of monsters and are fighting them while a legendary drops, you won't be able to hear it. And what makes it worse is that the farther away you are from it, the quieter it gets.

We also got something else, a minimap ping. There is a minimap ping that goes off when a legendary drops. But this has one glaring issue. Why does it only last 5 seconds? Unless you are staring at the minimap all the time, this feature is completely useless.

How can we fix these issues? First of all, change the legendary drop sound to be in the category of "ambient sounds". This will allow me to actually turn ambient sounds up or the sound effects down, so the audio is actually distinguishable while you are in the midst of battle. On top of that, make it so no matter how far away you are from the legendary drop, the sound will always trigger, and not at a lowered volume.

The minimap ping has a simple fix. Make the ping last forever. This will allow you to just quickly glance at the minimap at the end of a run to make sure there are no legendary items left on the map. You should be able to view this ping no matter where you are on the map and at any time.

These changes would ensure that it would be quite impossible, even for people who run through content fast, to miss a legendary.

Please keep this thread alive so blizzard is aware of the issues we currently have, and hopefully they can make it even nicer for us in the future!
Edited by Origination#1599 on 11/2/2012 1:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 01:23 AMPosted by Origination
The minimap ping has a simple fix. Make the ping last forever. This will allow you to just quickly glance at the minimap at the end of a run to make sure there are no legendary items left on the map. You should be able to view this ping no matter where you are on the map and at any time.

This....the rest is negligible imo, but this will have lasting effects...also make it so you see it on the big map, full map you pull up when you hit M. That way I can see a legend drop at the entrance of a dungeon even when I'm at the exit.
Reply Quote
When patch 1.0.5 came out, blizzard decided to add some things to alert you to to legendary drops. While these are very helpful, it still isn't enough for some people who are trying to go through content fast to get maximum experience per hour, causing some legendary items to be missed still. Let's go through the changes they made and the problems that they currently have.

First of all, they added a nice light beacon. This pretty much guarantees you that if you got a legendary drop on screen that you will be able to see it. The problem is, that if you are too far away from the drop, you won't be able to see it if you are off screen, but the other 2 things they added should help with this, right?

They also added a nice sound when the legendary drops. This has problems. First of all, the sound is quite quiet. If you are in the middle of a group of monsters and are fighting them while a legendary drops, you won't be able to hear it. And what makes it worse is that the farther away you are from it, the quieter it gets.

We also got something else, a minimap ping. There is a minimap ping that goes off when a legendary drops. But this has one glaring issue. Why does it only last 5 seconds? Unless you are staring at the minimap all the time, this feature is completely useless.

How can we fix these issues? First of all, change the legendary drop sound to be in the category of "ambient sounds". This will allow me to actually turn ambient sounds up or the sound effects down, so the audio is actually distinguishable while you are in the midst of battle. On top of that, make it so no matter how far away you are from the legendary drop, the sound will always trigger, and not at a lowered volume.

These changes would ensure that it would be quite impossible, even for people who run through content fast, to miss a legendary.

Please keep this thread alive so blizzard is aware of the issues we currently have, and hopefully they can make it even nicer for us in the future!

Do you play this game blinded?
Reply Quote
Hey guys I have this great idea, lets make the ping the same sound as one of the most common skills used by the top farming class. Something that's on a timer so it pings when the player least expects it. Yes, overpower will do just fine! *mwuhahaha* (evil laughter)
Reply Quote

Do you play this game blinded?

I can tell that you read the thread.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
I agree that the ping should be there as long as you are in that level.

Also, not only should there be a ping, but the minimap in the corner should pulsate light to indicate you have a legendary on the map, then it can stop pulsating when you pick the legendaries up.

I cringe at the thought of how many legendaries I've missed.

I can only imagine..since sometimes in public games there is some guy who runs off ahead of the gorup, and kills stuff, and you have no choice but to TP to him... imagine...legends might have dropped, and you never knew. Had the beam of light not shown when it dropped, I might have never known, and I wouldnt have my awesome ring that I have now.
Reply Quote
I don't think they should tailor the game around people doing speed runs. i'm sorry.

However, the eternal mini-map icon is a good idea.

It's fairly common for parties to naturally divide and conquer (or maybe that's just me), so it's possible to miss a drop if each elite drops his own loot.
Reply Quote
Blizzard's policy with D3 is to introduce things half-baked, then address the shortcomings in patches they term "free content".
Reply Quote
slow down and enjoy the game. Speed is bad for you ;-)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
do you really need a big red arrow pointing to it on the ground, you know one of those huge red arrows that glow? or what about the beam of light, is that nor bright enough?

DO YOU NEED HELP
Reply Quote
you have got to be kidding me... Open your freakin eyes if your worried about missing legs... this is one of the most rediculous requests ive ever seen
Reply Quote
I'd argue the goblin gong is little too low-key, too, particularly when dealing with blind corners.
Reply Quote
do you really need a big red arrow pointing to it on the ground, you know one of those huge red arrows that glow? or what about the beam of light, is that nor bright enough?

DO YOU NEED HELP

I can tell that you are mature, completely read through the thread, posted a well thought out, constructive and informative post.
Edited by Origination#1599 on 11/2/2012 4:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Give each legendary a theme song!
Edited by Diablo#21403 on 11/2/2012 4:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Use loot alert like so many other people, who are yet to be banned for it. It will make your life much easier I guess.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]