Diablo® III

Calamity or Manticore?

depends on what skills you like to use. Calamity is for fast attack playstyle so attacks like Hungering Arrow or Bola Shot are excellent for it. Very similar to a Windforce setup although Windforce is more suited to Sentry due to it's limit on CD.

Calamity is a 1H'er which means you are going for high CD . The idea with 1H'ers is that you can stack more stats onto two weapons, more than what you can normally. In my ideal Calamity setup, i'd have a 90% CD + OS with a 100% Emerald with an off-hand similar to it. You're looking at over 400% CD with this setup. Not only that, but dual wielding gives you 15% IAS boost so no need for a quiver. Run Archery for the 10% CC.

Manticore on the other hand, is best suited for high weapon damage abilities such as Cluster Arrow, Spike Traps, etc. These abilities are well suited for Manticore because 2H has naturally high weapon damage. The end result is that these abilities will hit for a truck-ton of damage but they aren't sustained damage like 1H is. The playstyle turns into a nuke/burst damage type of play. Revolving around kiting and killing them before they get to you. If you find this more fun, use a Manticore.
Reply Quote
I've actually been testing this.

I do prefer the speed and mobility the calamity offers me. I was playing dw with a spite in my oh, then I decided to test a DML in place of it and my dps shot up even though I was close to 550% cd while dw.

part of the reason I switched out DW as well is because attack speed per weapon, spite fired alot slower than calamity and hit for less so I figured why not put in a DML for higher attack speed and consistent dmg shots.

I did try a 1100 dps 2OS manticore as well, and though the dmg per shot was very impressive, the rate of firing was so slow I had to do much more kiting than with my calamity. in effect, unbelievable as it sounds, I killed much faster with the calamity due to more shots fired and more crits I believe. that's about the only thing I can think of as to why I kill faster with calamity.

I go with the playstyle of mainly spamming HA: SoT and with 61% CC in game, it does wonders clearing white mobs with turrets and LfB for boss fights.

my HA crits go anywhere from 135k to 230k, but I fire close to 3 aps and with the big CC%, I find mobs take that little crit stun very often which acts like a form of crowd control.

also with using spray of teeth mainly, even running in RD mobs with my low resis, I don't die at all using blood moon over gloom.

so I actually built my play style around speed of attacks which is definitely more fun for me.
Edited by Susanoo#1268 on 11/7/2012 9:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
speed kills.
Reply Quote
I bought a Manticore with 187 Dex + 98% Crit Dmg thinking it will outdo my Calamity without Dex. Guess what? I lost over 10k dps coz it simply cannot match my Calamiity + Inna extra Holy dmg. Lol..
Reply Quote
you obviously don't know what you're talking about so stop talking.

haha funny , u said to other ppl u obviously dont know anything , at the end u use calamity too , funny kid
Reply Quote
@ trytokeepup

You obviously don't know what you're talking about so stop talking.

You've got a nice DH but I'm sure you could craft shoulders better than your vw's I found a good vw and crafted way better actually two one that's on par with armor and the ones I'm wearing gave me a good life boost
Reply Quote
EASY QUESTION!

CALAMITY: IAS VS MANTICORE: DPS

Calamity
>Fast AF
>Steal Life faster (Gloom)
>Generate and spends hatred faster
>Helps stutter stepping (get the animation over with and keep moving on (or even atk 2-3 times)
Manticore
>MORE DPS
>I have died because my stutter step was too slow
>I have died because i couldnt pull of another attack for gloom (the life steal affix)
>WOOPTYDOOO I DON'T WASTE OR REGEN HATRED AS FAST
>WOOOOOOOOOOO SLOW ATK SPEED LOOKS SO SMEXY (<<sarcasm)

Bro its all about playstyle.. besides you lose one thing and gain another when it comes to these sort of descisions.. imo I prefer the calamity (helps survivability so much)

YEA maybe MANTICORE gives you a higher DPS but you must remember how much of that DPS is actually eDPS.. if you aren't surviving you arent attack.. if you arent attacking you have 0 DPS..

IT ALSO DEPENDS ON YOUR BUILD!
Look at your build.. what're you using? if its multishot, or strafe, even rapid fire,, id recommend you'd stay away from IAS (my opinion) because those skills are already fast atking, however if you're planning to use something such as balll-lightning and any of your hatred regeneration skills for a decent amount of the atks you use then id say go with calamity..

GL HF and in the end it ISNT what the pros DO OR SAY.. figure out your own personal balance to your skills, runes and etc..
Reply Quote
assume that both are good rolls.
please give the reason you prefer what you do as well.

prefer people who have used these over people who haven't.

Hello friend. Calamity is better for the facetank bola + spiketrap build. It offers higher resource regeneration as well when combined with nightstalker. The +10% crit you get from archery helps keep your disc regenerated nicely. If you wanna see higher numbers and stand back and shoot Id recommend Manticore.
Reply Quote
holy necro thread revival batman!
Reply Quote
03/30/2013 08:06 AMPosted by scud
holy necro thread revival batman!

It's a discussion topic that never really died.

We should have a Manticore VS Calamity (VS Windforce?) thread stickied in DH forum to concentrate people's opinion in one place.
Reply Quote
I really think the top DH's should stop the sheet DPS race and try the 1hers or DW
Reply Quote
lol its not a sheet dps race fo me i should say, when you have enough AR and vitality, then the question becomes how can i kill elites faster. For me, killing mp10 elites anywhere between 8~10 seconds makes using manticore more ideal for me. I dont think you should be saying the top DH's should be using this or that, most of us are searching for ways to farm mp10 elites and UBERS more efficiently. Dying isn't a variable we consider, nor is managing disc a problem. Really the only thing i consider is how long does it take me to kill this elite pack and move on to the next one.
Edited by reiren#1501 on 3/30/2013 1:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/30/2013 12:52 PMPosted by reiren
lol its not a sheet dps race fo me i should say, when you have enough AR and vitality, then the question becomes how can i kill elites faster. For me, killing mp10 elites anywhere between 8~10 seconds makes using manticore more ideal for me. I dont think you should be saying the top DH's should be using this or that, most of us are searching for ways to farm mp10 elites and UBERS more efficiently. Dying isn't a variable we consider, nor is managing disc a problem. Really the only thing i consider is how long does it take me to kill this elite pack and move on to the next one.

should have just rolled a barb for that then LOL!
Reply Quote
ehhh i think my DH can do it fine, and i dont want to give up on my DH
Reply Quote
03/30/2013 02:03 PMPosted by reiren
ehhh i think my DH can do it fine, and i dont want to give up on my DH

they can do it well but if speed is all your worried about even a decent budget barb will out pace a top notch DH sadly. Love my DH very fun too play but for those mp10 speed grinds my barb just plows through and can solo carry people on ubers with no problem and only cost me a fraction of what my legacy and new nats DH cost me. Just saying if its speed and effeciency your after ;]
Reply Quote
haven't tried calamity yet,like speed of windforce & damage of manticore.If only i could talk my wife into taking a second job,i could afford a calamity.
Reply Quote
03/30/2013 02:15 PMPosted by leo
If only i could talk my wife into taking a second job,i could afford a calamity.

chuckled

Yeah, Calamity prices are ridiculous.
I simulated a 100 mil budget Calamity with my 8 mil Manticore... (in D3UP)
I lost thousands of DPS as well as eHP with the Calamity.

Needless to say, I'll be using my Manticore for a bit longer haha
Reply Quote
03/30/2013 12:52 PMPosted by reiren

No way to argue with you, you are the 1%. It was more of wishful thinking that 1h or dw was a viable option.
Reply Quote
Windforce, Be a man!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]