Diablo® III

Calamity or Manticore?

At this point it doesnt matter.... Still manti is better simply due to the price for a top end calamity. If you have the gold go for whatever you like more its a preference, if you are killing mp0 it doesn't matter. On mp10 if you are not filthy rich manticore will always be better.

Most ppl that say calamity is better seem to forget how much they paid for it. On high mp manti will always be better for the vast majority of players and will outperform a calamity bencause they cant afford a godly one.

Edit: oh and your manti is better in pvp or dueling.
Edited by Evilbunz#1437 on 3/30/2013 11:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
At this point it doesnt matter.... Still manti is better simply due to the price for a top end calamity. If you have the gold go for whatever you like more its a preference, if you are killing mp0 it doesn't matter. On mp10 if you are not filthy rich manticore will always be better.

Most ppl that say calamity is better seem to forget how much they paid for it. On high mp manti will always be better for the vast majority of players and will outperform a calamity bencause they cant afford a godly one.

okay.
Reply Quote
Another reason calamity is better

>the higher IAS and the 10% crit bonus all helps nightstalker!!
Reply Quote
i prefer calamity over manticore, because one, it attacks like a machine gun with my gear.
and over all, calamity does more damage over time EX:you have and att speed of 1.8 with manti hitting for 200k, and 2.6 att speed with 180k dps with calamity.
downside about calamity is that it wont hit like a tank like manticore does.
Reply Quote
i dunno, im using a manticore and i have a ~35-37 second ghom kill mp10. There was a glass cannon demon hunter that had a 35 second ghom kill with higher dps then me, and my time is comparable to his kill time.
Edited by reiren#1501 on 4/1/2013 7:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
had most fun with calamity as it shoots fastest and regen hatred and disc faster thus allowing more build variety.

windforce is also good for the LS and KB, and has decent atk spd, meaning you dont need as much Disc. for surviviability and you dont need to kite much, thus more edps and more build variety as well.

Manticore .. i think if you are after BIG Crits Numbers, its the best . . it prolly gives you the most edps as well doing standard tank build. . .

My personal preference: Calamity > Windforce > Manticore

Of course like someone mentioned above, it all boils down to personnal playstyle and preference.
Reply Quote

I can't really say I agree with price comparison in general. Gearing for a calamity is actually cheaper than gearing for a manticore, so it actually evens itself out considering the big picture. You also have to take into consideration that calamities were much cheaper before patch 1.07 and the new ruby, and many people already had a calamity before hand simply because of preference. I got my calamity for 350 mil way before patch, and now its worth almost 1 billion.

As I and others said, it really depends on your gear and playstyle. The paper dps numbers means very little for this comparison.
Reply Quote
OP, to add, in favour of Calamity users:

Fast Resource Regen
One of my friend constantly spam 6 Echoing Blasts with Custom Engineering - require skills. With Calamity, you most certainly could Gloom most of the time and hardly die while doing crazy edps. This is just an example of how calamity is more consistent and versatile if you know what i mean.

Black Weapon
Manticore(+Poison Dam.) may be a drawback depending on your gearing choice

Calamity is min/max And +%dam. - apparantly enable the leap from the standard BiS items to arguably better BiS items. With this setup, you could potentially achieve higher dps and Edps from your jeweries which dont rely on critting.

(Not saying this is optimal for pure dps though.)

Consistent Damage
Geared and played skillfully, you might well be be doing higher and more consistent effective damage.
Edited by CLOUD#6403 on 4/1/2013 10:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Depends on what build you want.

I think calamity is more fun, have to adjust more in game.

I like bola/traps build (sometimes I run caltrops too for more trap-happiness) so calamity was definitely better suited to that.

If you want a more efficient "I want to kill elites ASAP" and just want the build that achieves that, that's easier to achieve with manti.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]