Diablo® III

In search of proof - Mp5+ farming

Can any demon hunter post a video of them farming MP5 or higher efficiently? I sometimes come across people in game bragging that they can smash through MP6 and the like, but I'm *really* having a hard time seeing how.

I don't think my gear is best in the world or anything, but it is decent. I can only farm MP1 efficiently (i.e. 11-12 minute Alkaizer run), and MP2 pretty well. MP3 is too slow for me, and it works out to be a poor use of my time.

On MP3+, I pretty much have to stop using Elemental Arrow and bring out something a bit more powerful, like Loaded for Bear. But if I do that, I basically have to not use Vault, which is bound to lower efficiency. Also, using Vault is not even a good idea anymore since it wastes way too much discipline. There's nothing worse than vaulting for speed but then not having any discipline to survive during a long trek (and thus dying a horrible death). This doesn't happen on MP1-2.

So if there are any Demon Hunter's out there smashing through MP5, I'd love to

1) See your gear
2) See your build
3) See a video as proof

Thanks!
Edited by Scala#1900 on 11/9/2012 7:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
If you moved to a bola/spike trap/sentry build you might have better luck. When I equip my Manticore, we have similar dps and MP4 feels like MP0 or 1 with that build. Elite packs drop in less than a minute. (My profile hasn't updated for a while).

I think it just comes down to what you define efficient as...
Reply Quote
Yup.. it depends on how you define "efficient", I can farm MP5.. But I can farm MP1 faster that's why do it instead.

But look at Beast and the others, I'm as sure as hell they can roflstomp MP5 npnp..
Reply Quote
If you moved to a bola/spike trap/sentry build you might have better luck. When I equip my Manticore, we have similar dps and MP4 feels like MP0 or 1 with that build. Elite packs drop in less than a minute. (My profile hasn't updated for a while).

I think it just comes down to what you define efficient as...

I would say keeping an alkaizer run down to 15 minutes would be efficiency. It it takes 45 minutes, I don't care how much better the drop %'s are, it can't possible be more efficient.

I talked with someone that does a bit more dps than me - 260k dps, but he also had Steady Aim on and no Vault at all. He says he does MP6 full clear in 1-1.5 hours and finds 4-5 legendaries per run.

To be honest, I don't really believe him. If I put steady aim on with my new Manticore (it's not updated in my profile yet), I do almost 200kdps. I fail to see how 60k more dps would propel me from MP2 to MP6 when the monster health more than triples.

If I ran Mp0-1 on my DH for 10 straight hours, thus gaining a buttload of paragon levels, I'd probably find 10 legendaries. Maybe 1 or 2 those would be good, and the rest would suck. I might find a rare worth keeping in this time, but doubtful.

I'd like to find a build/monster-power level setting that is more efficient than this, but when I do what these so-called "experts" do, I feel like I am totally gimped.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure no class farms efficiently on MP6+ without very, very high DPS. Archon wizards with 300k DPS usually do MP5 or 6 and that's their limit. Past that enemies just have too high of HP for it to really be efficient. I do MP3 on my wiz with ~200k dps buffed in my archon gear, and that's about as far as I'll go by myself cause after that it just feels like I'm not gaining anything more by doing high MP level. I'm a believer in MP1 even, as I got 4 legendary items in one MP1 run which together totaled 120m. Not every run is anywhere near that profitable, but it happens sometimes. I just hit 60 on my DH 2 days ago, and so far while I'm having a ton of fun playing him, it looks like even when I hit 140k dps with him I'll continue running mp2 or so.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure no class farms efficiently on MP6+ without very, very high DPS. Archon wizards with 300k DPS usually do MP5 or 6 and that's their limit. Past that enemies just have too high of HP for it to really be efficient. I do MP3 on my wiz with ~200k dps buffed in my archon gear, and that's about as far as I'll go by myself cause after that it just feels like I'm not gaining anything more by doing high MP level. I'm a believer in MP1 even, as I got 4 legendary items in one MP1 run which together totaled 120m. Not every run is anywhere near that profitable, but it happens sometimes. I just hit 60 on my DH 2 days ago, and so far while I'm having a ton of fun playing him, it looks like even when I hit 140k dps with him I'll continue running mp2 or so.

WW Barb can, and there are heaps of video on youtube. BTW, I agree with you that MP2 yields the best loot output, even with my dps and ehp. Higher MP are just for fun or organs.
Reply Quote
Right now, I'm 163k dps (not updated on my profile yet). I feel like mp1/2 is where I should be at. But if that's what most people are doing, then I really don't see how Mp6 would ever be possible. Even most of the top demon hunter's have 285-300k unbuffed dps, and if that's the case, they would only be able to farm at a level where the monsters had double the HP that they do on MP1. If that's all they can farm, what hope do 99.5% of the player base have?

I'm interested in seeing what's possible. I don't mind changing my build if I can still do fast alkaizer runs and get more drop %'s at the same time. I want to improve. But at this point, I don't think gear is the right answer anymore. All of my gear is quite good, and improvements to anything on my character all cost 50+ mil now.
Edited by Scala#1900 on 11/9/2012 7:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 07:39 AMPosted by Ragnarok
WW Barb can, and there are heaps of video on youtube. BTW, I agree with you that MP2 yields the best loot output, even with my dps and ehp. Higher MP are just for fun or organs.

No, even with a WW barb MP6 takes too long without great gear. You'd need at least 250k DPS for MP6 to be worth it IMO. That's what I'm saying. I can easily run MP6 on my wiz, but it just wouldn't be nearly as efficient as MP2.

Edit: I'm saying the difference in elite killing time is ridiculous. On MP2-3 elites take under 15 seconds for me on my wiz, on MP1 it's less than 10 seconds. On MP6 it'd probably be 45-55 seconds. All for 75-125 extra MF? Don't think it's worth it.
Edited by Zelfaar#1880 on 11/9/2012 7:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
i'm not interested in making a video but i can show you in game. add me if u like.
Reply Quote
The Barb I run with laughs at me for not going above MP4, personally I'm fine with that, MP2-3 are a breeze for speed farming and 4 will be once I get my AR back up. Right now I would be crushed in MP4 even with 50K HP, AR is far too low to take on Molten/Arcane elites in tight areas.

I think good DH's can farm MP6-7 solo and the best can probably go a bit higher but their gear is insane. I've compared some their stats against the Barb I run with who can solo MP10 and those DH's have comparable AR, HP and armor ratings but need about three times the DPS to drop an elite as quick as a WW Barb can solo.
Reply Quote
The Barb I run with laughs at me for not going above MP4, personally I'm fine with that, MP2-3 are a breeze for speed farming and 4 will be once I get my AR back up. Right now I would be crushed in MP4 even with 50K HP, AR is far too low to take on Molten/Arcane elites in tight areas.

I think good DH's can farm MP6-7 solo and the best can probably go a bit higher but their gear is insane. I've compared some their stats against the Barb I run with who can solo MP10 and those DH's have comparable AR, HP and armor ratings but need about three times the DPS to drop an elite as quick as a WW Barb can solo.

I agree with the last statements. The Demon Hunter's skills just simply don't do enough damage, nor are they resource efficient for the ones that do :/
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 07:46 AMPosted by coolfoolboo
i'm not interested in making a video but i can show you in game. add me if u like.

Sure, thanks!
Reply Quote

I agree with the last statements. The Demon Hunter's skills just simply don't do enough damage, nor are they resource efficient for the ones that do :/

I tell you what though, WD's are going pretty high on the MP scale too, the one I ran with last night for MP8 Ubers was really good at crowd control when we were getting the 5 stack, kept me alive the whole run. During the Uber fights he made ZK a breeze, just sat back turning him into a pig while his pets tanked the hell out of him.

I actually wish I had rolled a WD after seeing how easy he made MP8 look.
Edited by TrippyHippy#1819 on 11/9/2012 7:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
i farm mp8-9, and while it's not blazing fast simply due to the enemies HP, i definitely do it efficiently, and by that i mean not dying and running around pointlessly. i faceroll right through everything

when i want to level paragon or farm fast i just switch up my skills for 100k dps DW and run mp0-1, i can run alkaizers in 10 min

i tend to have a lot more fun tanking through high mp though

the best barbs for farming high MP are not ww barbs, they are the brutal sword/shield barbs rocking rend and frenzy. i run with my brother who has a top 1000 hero score worldwide and we absolutely faceroll anything in the game.
Reply Quote
i farm mp8-9, and while it's not blazing fast simply due to the enemies HP, i definitely do it efficiently, and by that i mean not dying and running around pointlessly. i faceroll right through everything

when i want to level paragon or farm fast i just switch up my skills for 100k dps DW and run mp0-1, i can run alkaizers in 10 min

i tend to have a lot more fun tanking through high mp though

the best barbs for farming high MP are not ww barbs, they are the brutal sword/shield barbs rocking rend and frenzy. i run with my brother who has a top 1000 hero score worldwide and we absolutely faceroll anything in the game.

Your DH has 62560.1 dps.
Reply Quote
the real test for efficient farming of mp levels is to compare xp/hour.
if the xp/hour rate drops significantly (more than 5%) then it can not be considered efficient.
Reply Quote
the real test for efficient farming of mp levels is to compare xp/hour.
if the xp/hour rate drops significantly (more than 5%) then it can not be considered efficient.

I guess efficiency can be measured in 2 terms - the one you state, and legendaries/hour being the other. The think it's completely possible for those not to be in sync with each other.
Edited by Scala#1900 on 11/9/2012 8:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
i can farm mp8 all day but its just not efficient at all, takes to long to drop packs. mp3 is about the sweet spot for my mf farming as most packs take about a min or so. the only reason i go to the higher mp levels is for key runs and ubers
Reply Quote
I'm trying out the traps, and I don't like them that much. Can I please get some help with them?

coolfoolboo's DH build is so very close to the build I used from paragon level 1-23 when I had no gear, as it's a very good build for poorly geared DH's. The only change I had was that I was using beastly bombs instead of the traps. It was such a good build. I submitted it to RTG youtube channel and they featured it at the beginning of 1.0.5.

I just don't know how to the use the traps I guess. I lay them on the ground, and 70% of the time, they don't ever set off.

I'm trying his build out on MP1 though - something simple - and it's working out okay but I don't think it's "efficient" as the ball lightning build I was running before. If I can get the traps working as expected, then maybe it would be good. From what I'm seeing though, the delay the traps and bola shot making it not very efficient for MP1 - the ball lightning/spray of teeth skills would already have defeated the enemies since there is no delay.

Maybe I just need to crank it up to MP2-3. I still would like to know how to use the traps effectively though. It's really pissing me off that enemies walk right over them or are standing on top of them for 3 seconds and they don't do anything.
Edited by Scala#1900 on 11/9/2012 8:35 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]