Diablo® III

In search of proof - Mp5+ farming

I agree. Most people who say they farm anything higher than MP5 don't actually understand what they are doing. While they can plug through it, it just takes too long. I generally stick to MP3. That basically lets me 2 shot everything with BL, apart from elite packs (but those aren't a problem). Even just moving to MP4, I feel things slow down substantially. I'm not a top DH or anything, but I feel like I do ok.

Also, for those thinking about using turret and spike traps (particularly turrets), I feel that using them farming slows you down too much. Turrets in particular suggest to me that you plan on staying in that spot for WAY too long. While spike traps are viable for elite packs, you have to drop another skill to do it and I just can't see myself dropping anything for it.
Edited by Genesis#1518 on 11/9/2012 8:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
I agree. Most people who say they farm anything higher than MP5 don't actually understand what they are doing. While they can plug through it, it just takes too long. I generally stick to MP3. That basically lets me 2 shot everything with BL, apart from elite packs (but those aren't a problem). Even just moving to MP4, I feel things slow down substantially. I'm not a top DH or anything, but I feel like I do ok.

Also, for those thinking about using turret and spike traps (particularly turrets), I feel that using them farming slows you down too much. Turrets in particular suggest to me that you plan on staying in that spot for WAY too long. While spike traps are viable for elite packs, you have to drop another skill to do it and I just can't see myself dropping anything for it.

That's pretty much opinion. I'm trying out the turrets/spike traps, and I don't even bother with the turrets as I get almost no use out of them. The traps don't even work right for me, so before they even go off, bola shot - as sad as that sounds - has kill the elite pack already.

I just find myself in total awe that hungering arrow/ball lightning would have done it far faster and would have been easier to execute control-wise.
Reply Quote
i farm mp8-9, and while it's not blazing fast simply due to the enemies HP, i definitely do it efficiently, and by that i mean not dying and running around pointlessly. i faceroll right through everything

when i want to level paragon or farm fast i just switch up my skills for 100k dps DW and run mp0-1, i can run alkaizers in 10 min

i tend to have a lot more fun tanking through high mp though

the best barbs for farming high MP are not ww barbs, they are the brutal sword/shield barbs rocking rend and frenzy. i run with my brother who has a top 1000 hero score worldwide and we absolutely faceroll anything in the game.

im pretty sure u dont die much in mp8-9, but "faceroll through everything"? Im sorry i doubt you can do it with your dps.
Reply Quote
If you moved to a bola/spike trap/sentry build you might have better luck. When I equip my Manticore, we have similar dps and MP4 feels like MP0 or 1 with that build. Elite packs drop in less than a minute. (My profile hasn't updated for a while).

I think it just comes down to what you define efficient as...

To be honest, I looked at your gear, and I don't think you can do MP4 efficiently. You have less dps than me (and less surviability too), and you are using Steady Aim. In most cases, that won't even come into effect.

Video please.
Edited by Scala#1900 on 11/9/2012 9:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
To be fair to my request, here's a video of my 140k dps demon hunter doing MP0:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/443421/DiabloIII-DemonHunter-Scala-SpeedFarming.mp4

I can pretty much replicate this performance on MP1 with my new Manticore, which brings me up to 163k dps (Only using Archery passive for damage, not Steady Aim).

I can imagine that my strategy would work fantastic on MP2 or MP3 with much better gear.

I'd love to see MP4, MP5, MP6, or whatever runs with similar success. Please show me.
Edited by Scala#1900 on 11/9/2012 8:51 AM PST
Reply Quote

That's pretty much opinion. I'm trying out the turrets/spike traps, and I don't even bother with the turrets as I get almost no use out of them. The traps don't even work right for me, so before they even go off, bola shot - as sad as that sounds - has kill the elite pack already.

I just find myself in total awe that hungering arrow/ball lightning would have done it far faster and would have been easier to execute control-wise.

The thing about bola and spikes traps is that they share a common trait - delay.

Thus, this delay is excellent for "come to me" kind of build which basically is a tanky one. The traps are more often than not set around you as both protection (offense is the best defense right here, works hand in hand with gloom) and dps. The good thing about traps here is that the mobs won't run around anymore (waste of traps if they went away from under it) as u put them right on you where the mobs is going for - you.

Once one gets the hang of it, the trick is not to kite at all. But.. to vault straight into a huge mob crowd. And then put yourself in the middle of it all, and set up your traps, trigger gloom, set up turrets (depending on monster) and hit away with bola. All the mobs will perish together and this is where AoE is maximised. Very efficient in this sense.

On higher MP, this delay is extremely acceptable as monsters don't die easily like in MP1.
Reply Quote
The thing is, there's not a whole lot of reason to venture into the higher MPs unless you're after keys. And farming keys in itself isn't a very efficient thing to do, if presumably you're after a godly Hellfire Ring - much easier to farm normally and buy a rare off the AH.

Even with my current gear I'm still farming in MP0. Once I hit 100 I might probably switch to running in MP 2, or maybe 3, but once you need to start tanking things is a sure sign that it's not efficient anymore. You get what, 75% extra MF for going that high, is 75% extra MF going to double your drops? Because the MP0 guy is killing twice as fast as you, and so pulling that loot slot machine lever twice as often as you are.
Edited by Myon#1319 on 11/9/2012 9:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
The thing about bola and spikes traps is that they share a common trait - delay.

Thus, this delay is excellent for "come to me" kind of build which basically is a tanky one. The traps are more often than not set around you as both protection (offense is the best defense right here, works hand in hand with gloom) and dps. The good thing about traps here is that the mobs won't run around anymore (waste of traps if they went away from under it) as u put them right on you where the mobs is going for - you.

Once one gets the hang of it, the trick is not to kite at all. But.. to vault straight into a huge mob crowd. And then put yourself in the middle of it all, and set up your traps, trigger gloom, set up turrets (depending on monster) and hit away with bola. All the mobs will perish together and this is where AoE is maximised. Very efficient in this sense.

On higher MP, this delay is extremely acceptable as monsters don't die easily like in MP1.

My gear is very tanky - although not as tanky as yours obviously. But people tell me I stack "too much ehp". The right amount of ehp for a DH is another one of those things I think people are lying about for the most part (as well as the efficient MP level they "farm" at).

In any case, since I actually balanced out my defenses a lot more than most DH's, I can probably get away with this on MP2 at least. I will keep trying. If you have any suggestions on where exactly to place the traps, that would be helpful because they still don't trigger for me. Bola Shot is basically carrying me the whole way.
Reply Quote
On lower MPs, HA and BL are hands down the best skills for clearing mobs so i fully agree. LfB too. I always feel that way too. While using other skills, i will often ask myself, could HA/BL have cleared them faster? The answer will almost always be yes.

However, on higher MPs, it is a whole different ball game. Higher MPs mean monsters with not only more HP but also more dps thus suddenly, having solid mitigation becomes a valid concern.

So usually when doing higher MPs, one won't have the luxury to kill monsters so fast that they won't be able to approach you and what happens is.. u have to keep kiting if you did not stack mitigation which waste a lot of time and the whole experience is also a flustered one. (esp. with elite phase-beasts, need i say more.. haha..)

After some farming on higher MPs, one will come to realize something.. why should i run away from them?? Thus they will start to stack mitigation and let the monsters "come to them" since they are gonna come one way or the other. Might as well take advantage of this fact.
Reply Quote
The thing is, there's not a whole lot of reason to venture into the higher MPs unless you're after keys. And farming keys in itself isn't a very efficient thing to do, if presumably you're after a godly Hellfire Ring - much easier to farm normally and buy a rare off the AH.

Even with my current gear I'm still farming in MP0. Once I hit 100 I might probably switch to running in MP 2, or maybe 3, but once you need to start tanking things is a sure sign that it's not efficient anymore. You get what, 75% extra MF for going that high, is 75% extra MF going to double your drops? Because the MP0 guy is killing twice as fast as you, and so pulling that loot slot machine lever twice as often as you are.

This is generally my thought as well. I mean, I *did* reach paragon 60 in 2 weeks (basically since 1.0.5 came out. Before that, my Monk was my main). So that strategy - at least xp wise - was pretty damn efficient. All of the people who claim they "faceroll Mp6" have less paragon levels than I do. Oddly enough, my gear is better than most of them as well - or at least it's valued much higher on the AH. That wealth had to come from somewhere, and they didn't get it. This is what makes me think most of them are full of !@#$. I did all of this on MP0/1

However, while I'm pretty sure the MF gains are probably not worth the HP adjustments for demon hunters, I am curious about the bonus item drops. In the same way we have "effective health", I am curious how much "effective mf" these bonus drops amount to.
Edited by Scala#1900 on 11/9/2012 9:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
On lower MPs, HA and BL are hands down the best skills for clearing mobs so i fully agree. LfB too. I always feel that way too. While using other skills, i will often ask myself, could HA/BL have cleared them faster? The answer will almost always be yes.

However, on higher MPs, it is a whole different ball game. Higher MPs mean monsters with not only more HP but also more dps thus suddenly, having solid mitigation becomes a valid concern.

So usually when doing higher MPs, one won't have the luxury to kill monsters so fast that they won't be able to approach you and what happens is.. u have to keep kiting if you did not stack mitigation which waste a lot of time and the whole experience is also a flustered one. (esp. with elite phase-beasts, need i say more.. haha..)

After some farming on higher MPs, one will come to realize something.. why should i run away from them?? Thus they will start to stack mitigation and let the monsters "come to them" since they are gonna come one way or the other. Might as well take advantage of this fact.

Thanks for all of this. So far, I think you're the only person who isn't full of !@#$ ;) When I login again, it'd be great to see it all work and have a chat.
Reply Quote

My gear is very tanky - although not as tanky as yours obviously. But people tell me I stack "too much ehp". The right amount of ehp for a DH is another one of those things I think people are lying about for the most part (as well as the efficient MP level they "farm" at).

In any case, since I actually balanced out my defenses a lot more than most DH's, I can probably get away with this on MP2 at least. I will keep trying. If you have any suggestions on where exactly to place the traps, that would be helpful because they still don't trigger for me. Bola Shot is basically carrying me the whole way.

There's a new breed of DH class i will termed as "tank cannons". Which means being both a tank and a cannon.

For this class of DH, there is no such thing as "too much eHP". Only too little of it.

These tank cannons will share some of the below traits:
- usually have a 30 disc pool (meaning no added disc, not even from cloak or quiver as both are being maximised with stats like dex and vit instead)
- use a top-tier high crit mempo (which is extremely viable in 1.0.5)
- use NS as the only disc regen. (amazingly, it is really sufficient once one have high crit chance)

An entry-level tank cannon will have 250k dps (pure unbuffed) and 1million eHP. Understandably, the benchmark is high.. as we are talking about a build that can farm higher MPs quickly w/o deaths. (unless really careless)
Reply Quote
Higher MP arnt meant to be efficient but to provide some challange and let you utilise the surplus dps.
Reply Quote
I do Mp8 comfortably. If i could make a video i would for you but i don't have anything recording skills lol.

you're build is like mine but i use caltrops instead of bat and my scoundrel has a windforce on it. I also keep a 2nd pocket windforce for fast elite blue mobs that have the fast affix on them and i can't kite.

If you want you can add me and i can show you how fast i blow through mp5 :P.

Made 40 million yesterday finding a innas belt and IK helm doing mp8. Been doing pretty good since this MP patch hit.
Edited by Dragon#1981 on 11/9/2012 9:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
I do Mp8 comfortably. If i could make a video i would for you but i don't have anything recording skills lol.

you're build is like mine but i use caltrops instead of bat and my scoundrel has a windforce on it. I also keep a 2nd pocket windforce for fast elite blue mobs that have the fast affix on them and i can't kite.

If you want you can add me and i can show you how fast i blow through mp5 :P.

Made 40 million yesterday finding a innas belt and IK helm doing mp8. Been doing pretty good since this MP patch hit.

I believe that you can do mp4 like I do MP2 after looking at your gear. I mean, I know I could do if I were doing 280k dps.
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 09:22 AMPosted by Attero
Higher MP arnt meant to be efficient but to provide some challange and let you utilise the surplus dps.

Well, if one can do MP4 in the same time or just a little longer than MP0 because their strategy/build/gear let's them, then that would be more efficient than MP0-3.

I don't ever suspect that MP7-10 will be "farm efficient", but it would be quite interesting to see MP4-6 being very efficient.
Edited by Scala#1900 on 11/9/2012 9:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
here's Tianzis vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVlwhDoTLlQ

your mp4 didnt dl,
is that fast enough?
Edited by zoid#1554 on 11/9/2012 9:31 AM PST
Reply Quote

There's a new breed of DH class i will termed as "tank cannons". Which means being both a tank and a cannon.

For this class of DH, there is no such thing as "too much eHP". Only too little of it.

- usually have a 30 disc pool (meaning no added disc, not even from cloak or quiver as both are being maximised with stats like dex and vit instead)
- use NS as the only disc regen. (amazingly, it is really sufficient once one have high crit chance)

An entry-level tank cannon will have 250k dps (pure unbuffed) and 1million eHP. Understandably, the benchmark is high.. as we are talking about a build that can farm higher MPs quickly w/o deaths. (unless really careless)

Does that mean I should just keep doing what I'm doing on MP1?
Reply Quote
here's Tianzis vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVlwhDoTLlQ

your mp4 didnt dl,
is that fast enough?

I don't think it's fast. I can do it faster on MP3 for sure. I haven't tried MP4, but I suspect I could do it faster.

Generally, it's taken him as long to kill 1 elite pack as it would for me to kill 3-4 of them on MP1 (removing the downtime in between obviously). To me, that's not efficient regardless of the extra MF and bonus drops.
Edited by Scala#1900 on 11/9/2012 9:36 AM PST
Reply Quote

Does that mean I should just keep doing what I'm doing on MP1?

Yes.

And switch back to HA/BL. Bola and spike has no place in the lower MPs. The delay is simply a waste of time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]