Diablo® III

In search of proof - Mp5+ farming

I still am amazed to see that people think people cannot farm MP5-6 fast. Must be retarded.
I can 1-2 shot trash mobs with multi in MP5 and just move on. Unless the elites have some stupid dumb affix combo they don't take long either. And i'm not close to being geared when you compare my stats to high tier DH players.

Ignorance runs high in this thread where people with 71k damage, who live in a box don't think it's possible for anyone else to do anything else faster.
Reply Quote
I recently became able to farm MP6 pretty efficiently. For the longest time I was using the Cull the Weak + Entangling Shot strategy, but recently invested in some new items:

Andariel's Visage
Inna's Pants + Belt (both low, but dat set bonus)
Nat's Cloak (bought it yesterday, actually hindered my progression without the +10 Discipline from my old cloak....but soon...the boots...)

I'm learning that the passive skill Tactical Advantage is pretty important for farming efficiency, but I use it with Smoke Screen and not Vault.

Once I get some more Discipline, I will roll through this !@#$. Before I could tank a little bit in MP5, but now I'm going straight glass cannon. 130K DPS without Sharpshooter.
Reply Quote
I don't know how you DH's can play that bola shot/spike trap build. Its about as fun as playing a WW Barbarian build. I see so many DH playing that build I don't get it.
Reply Quote
View profile
11/10/2012 07:55 AMPosted by Fingerling
I don't know how you DH's can play that bola shot/spike trap build. Its about as fun as playing a WW Barbarian build. I see so many DH playing that build I don't get it.

i was a kitter all the while before 1.0.5. When i first switch to the trap build, i feel like it's not for me but now i can say one thing.. when the spikes explodes are killed all mobs under it, it's extremely gratifying and i'm enjoying every single time of it.
Reply Quote

Matter of taste. I hate having to kite backwards and recovering the same ground over and over. However, the unique Illusionist, poison Reflects Damage Colossal Golgar pack I just facerolled on MP6 was quite satisfying.
Reply Quote
IDK - on my best day I can barely make it through MP-4. But I find the most and best loot on MP-2 so, like other responders on here, that is the MP I prefer - also, I do not like farming for gold and sellable yellows just to break even on the repairs...
Reply Quote

I have been using bola shot build since 1.04. added spike trap in 1.05 after Engineering was re-engineered. It is one of the best build for higher MP.

By the way, I usually farm at MP5 to MP8. MP5 if in party or if Im in the mood for fast action. MP8 if I feel like I'm sleepy and need a steady focus/challenge. MP8 is not as efficient obviously but is doable if you have the right gear (at least good, not necessarily great) and build.
Reply Quote

Mostly because grenades is a useless skill, I have never seen anyone in co-op usig them. I see a small percentage using Entangling Shot - but just doesn't pack a punch. Hungering arrow is ok and I see 1/2 of the DH's using them and the other 1/2 using Bola. Bola packs an AoE and a lot of damage - as for spikes - I use them but the majority I play with use Caltrops...

We DH's seem to get by more with Gllom...
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Myrmidon
Mostly because grenades is a useless skill, I have never seen anyone in co-op usig them

so very wrong....
Reply Quote
Can any demon hunter post a video of them farming MP5 or higher efficiently? I sometimes come across people in game bragging that they can smash through MP6 and the like, but I'm *really* having a hard time seeing how.

I don't think my gear is best in the world or anything, but it is decent. I can only farm MP1 efficiently (i.e. 11-12 minute Alkaizer run), and MP2 pretty well. MP3 is too slow for me, and it works out to be a poor use of my time.

On MP3+, I pretty much have to stop using Elemental Arrow and bring out something a bit more powerful, like Loaded for Bear. But if I do that, I basically have to not use Vault, which is bound to lower efficiency. Also, using Vault is not even a good idea anymore since it wastes way too much discipline. There's nothing worse than vaulting for speed but then not having any discipline to survive during a long trek (and thus dying a horrible death). This doesn't happen on MP1-2.

So if there are any Demon Hunter's out there smashing through MP5, I'd love to

1) See your gear
2) See your build
3) See a video as proof

Thanks!

Personally I use vault and it is valuable and I can get through MP 6 without much trouble. Ultimately I would suggest ditching tactical advantage as I did a while ago and use steady aim. Youd easily see that the dps gain is far more valuable and vault is a perfect skill to combine with it. I think most DH's if struggling with higher MP level need to understand that having large health pool isn't valuable at the expense of your dps. Sure DH's can tank but you are given EVASIVE skills to avoid being hit for a reason, you shouldn't be aiming to stand in a group of enemies. Honest +400 resist all and 40k HP is enough. These demon hunters who sacrifice sometimes 100k+ dps for 50-90k HP are going to take longer to down MP 6+ mobs with 12mil health each.
Reply Quote
I should post a vid of myself facetanking ghom and rakinoth ubers with grenades-cluster grenades. much <3 for gloom + cluster grenade tanking
Reply Quote
I recently tweaked my DH and took Sharpshooter off i was doing about a 175k dps at the time i now do about 65k-80k. I farm mp4 and sometimes mp5. My build however is very different to most DH i have nearly 900 res all 20% crit chance 55k health. I have the occasional death when some !@#$ty afixes ie deso,reflects,arcane,molten. But for the most parties on mp 4 and 5 work for me
Edited by Stitch#6864 on 11/10/2012 2:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 06:06 AMPosted by alanoide
Are traps essential for efficient runs? Cos I almost never use them. I can only go for mp2 which is okay speed. Mp3 is just slow for me. Any advice?

for speed runs (MP1) I only use multishot. no time for traps or cluster bombs
(my profile is currently on my speedrun build)

o/
Reply Quote
Honestly I do prefer mp2. I found it to be my "sweetspot" for efficiency. I find that I get less with mp5 runs. I seem to be getting more legendaries per hour with mp2. (alkaizer route)

And yeah I agree with you on the bola thing. That delay really bugs me lol XD.

As far as farming for keys specifically I do mp7. But My build is completely different for that. I change skills to a more survivability type of build. But keys and farming items efficiently are two different things for me.

Maybe I'll make a video and do an actual comparison. Been wanting to make one for a while.
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 01:43 PMPosted by kkmmnn
Mostly because grenades is a useless skill, I have never seen anyone in co-op usig them

so very wrong....

you then my friend are one of the very few who use them. I NEVER...NEVER...NEVER have seen another DH use them in any co-op game I ever played in. But, am glad to see one successfully use it...I stand corrected...
Reply Quote
I still am amazed to see that people think people cannot farm MP5-6 fast. Must be retarded.
I can 1-2 shot trash mobs with multi in MP5 and just move on. Unless the elites have some stupid dumb affix combo they don't take long either. And i'm not close to being geared when you compare my stats to high tier DH players.

Ignorance runs high in this thread where people with 71k damage, who live in a box don't think it's possible for anyone else to do anything else faster.

The question is not whether you can clear MP5 or 6. Someone with half your DPS could clear MP 5 or 6 too so that is not even worth mentioning.

The question is how efficiently one can farm loot. If you can clear MP5 in 1 hour, chances are you can clear MP4 in maybe 40min. Each MP level beyond MP3 adds about 40% HP to mobs. For someone to clear MP5 efficiently they would need 40% more dps than someone farming MP4, since the HP increase is that much going from 4 to 5.

Simple question: if you were to do MP 4 instead of 5 or 6, how would that affect your loot farming? Would you honestly tell me you farm loot slower in MP4? I find that hard to believe. Trash mobs in MP5 can have 2mil+ HP (Colossal Golgors are an example). Maybe your Multishots can one-shot scorpions but you're not one-shotting the tougher trash mobs. Also the real bottleneck is the elites which waste the most time. you're taking 40% longer to kill an elite pack in MP 5 than in MP 4 at minimum (I say minimum because we haven't even factored in the increased resource consumption associated with longer fights).

No one ever said it was impossible to clear higher MPs. But the way I understand the term 'farming' is that it implies efficient clearing of mobs. Others may define it differently. I mean there are tanks who claim to be farming MP 10 just because they don't die. I don't call it farming when it takes 1 hour to kill an elite pack though.
Edited by Veldin#1214 on 11/10/2012 6:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Myrmidon

so very wrong....

you then my friend are one of the very few who use them. I NEVER...NEVER...NEVER have seen another DH use them in any co-op game I ever played in. But, am glad to see one successfully use it...I stand corrected...

join me in game will show you how it's done...
Reply Quote
lol at pple who think they farm "efficiently" at mp5..
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I recently became able to farm MP6 pretty efficiently. For the longest time I was using the Cull the Weak + Entangling Shot strategy, but recently invested in some new items:

Andariel's Visage
Inna's Pants + Belt (both low, but dat set bonus)
Nat's Cloak (bought it yesterday, actually hindered my progression without the +10 Discipline from my old cloak....but soon...the boots...)

I'm learning that the passive skill Tactical Advantage is pretty important for farming efficiency, but I use it with Smoke Screen and not Vault.

Once I get some more Discipline, I will roll through this !@#$. Before I could tank a little bit in MP5, but now I'm going straight glass cannon. 130K DPS without Sharpshooter.

yes ss is a wast of time really i have 55% cc. i have been tryin to do 100k+ with out passive skills ( SS, SA and archery) i have gotten to 112k and i like it. the only really think i use dis for is SP gloom and a pet. i do fine and can solo mp5 wont call it farming really, i dont have any problems in it. i die ever so offen when i get cornered but that happens. Gone are the days of glasscannon for me was fun till you do higher mp lvl and get 1 shot all the time. I have 900+ AR now with skills. 1.5 made me go back to my DH from my Barb. If you do a glasscannon try to get as much AR as you can and use perfectionist to get a 10% boost in AR, life and armor. helps alot. GL with your build man.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]