Diablo® III

If D3 is the future of gaming....

then...
Reply Quote
..it isnt. it wont be. blizzard is not the top it used to be. it makes money, but that doesnt mean its the top of design anymore. path of exile, and torchlight destroy diablo 3 in every aspect it coudltn live up to.
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Ender
..it isnt. it wont be. blizzard is not the top it used to be. it makes money, but that doesnt mean its the top of design anymore. path of exile, and torchlight destroy diablo 3 in every aspect it coudltn live up to.

There's still aspects of DIII that destroy poe and tl2, in my opinion.
I just hope future patches and expansions add meaningful content.

D3 is better in some aspects because it has a bigger budget and more time. By future content, do you mean things that should be in the game in the first place? Or do you mean further increasing drops to lure back players who left?
Reply Quote
... then I will pity the next generation of gamers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I don't think it'll last. It just isn't sustainably fun, there's no sense of purpose or customization or skill. A little like WoW's become/becoming.

I genuinely believe that gamers in general are not stupid enough to put the gameplan of D3 before fun long-term. I simply think that there's no alternative for this particular niche of gaming. I think once PoE hits open beta, becomes more widely known, better funded etc, and other ARPGs hit their stride, it'll take its toll.

I also think that Blizzard will adapt if they see it happening, for their future games at least. It's simply up to us gamers in general to show them what we want, that we're the ones keeping their business alive, not vice versa. It's kinda disgusting.
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 01:44 AMPosted by DeLq
... then I will pity the next generation of gamers.

+1
Lets hope not...
Reply Quote
I remember when ID Software was top dog. Man, I loved Doom2 and Quake3. Good times.

Blizz make popular games to be sure but their game design doesn't change much. They don't seem to move forward, pushing boundaries like they use too. Even D3 has a very old game design with no reward or goals and a loot system that dates back to the start of WoW.

Starcraft hasn't changed much but I can understand its popularity. Still, that game feels far too repetitive to me. I enjoy Warcraft3 far more. Now that is still a top game for me.

To be honest, the only thing I see Blizzard doing is releasing their old content with better graphics. They keep this up and other companies are going to push them out with better games.

As it is, I hardly touch their products. WoW was like 5 years ago for me, played SC2 when it was new but got bored not long after release and D3 is just a game I pop into once in a while.

Frankly, I enjoy other games more.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 is certainly a HUGE part in the future of gaming.

1. d3 is on Xfire by far 3rd most played RPG game and with a next PvP patch, it could get to second place after WoW in the RPG field.

http://www.xfire.com/genre/rpg/role-playing/

Apparently it has more staying power in those on line charts after 6 months then games like BL2 and other so called blockbusters. It certainly is more popular than SC2 too...

2. Blizzard always introduced techniques they used from their older games and put them in in their new games. Candidates to be included in their new games like Blizzard All Stars (dota) and the new MMO could be a new RMAH, MP Monster Power choices, Grind for crafting plans, and CERTAINLY the ONE server principle per region ...

3. Where Diablo 3 REALLY shines is in its incredible responsive on line engine. I mean this game is an ON LINE game and nowhere else did I see a RPG with THIS kind of fast furious responsive game play.

So not everything in D3 will live for ever in future games, but some aspects will certainly be seen in future projects.

Patch 1.05 is awesome btw...

It now plays even more like an MMO, but without the slow combat and no need for attunements or reputation grinds.

D3 is a perfect on line game to play casually from time to time. It will only get better over time.
Edited by BenBoske#2907 on 11/14/2012 2:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
I hope not.

The RMAH system bypasses the purpose of the game by offering "pay-for-power" service. Me and my friends plan not to buy future D3 expansion with RMAH.
Reply Quote
That's the """best""" a for-profit business model can provide.
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 12:13 AMPosted by DrK
then...

...the world will burn.

No, the world will go with the flow.

I assume you are talking about the evil RMAH. This isn't the first time that there is change to the video game industry that is seen as undesirable.

Previously, it was the transition from 2D to 3D. 3D was the new in-thing. People were raving about it. It was indeed the future of gaming as it is today.
But, people have noticed that there was a decline in quality of RPGs because more resources are spent on making things 3D instead of a quality game.

But despite the reservations, for better or for worse, 3D is now considered the norm, even if it is at the expense of quality story telling.

If pay-to-win or any variation of it truly is the scourge of gaming like DRM, then it won't succeed. But if it is not, then the world will go with it.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 11/14/2012 2:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
I don't think it'll last. It just isn't sustainably fun, there's no sense of purpose or customization or skill. A little like WoW's become/becoming.

I genuinely believe that gamers in general are not stupid enough to put the gameplan of D3 before fun long-term. I simply think that there's no alternative for this particular niche of gaming. I think once PoE hits open beta, becomes more widely known, better funded etc, and other ARPGs hit their stride, it'll take its toll.

I also think that Blizzard will adapt if they see it happening, for their future games at least. It's simply up to us gamers in general to show them what we want, that we're the ones keeping their business alive, not vice versa. It's kinda disgusting.

Well the stats prove you are wrong on all accounts:

http://www.xfire.com/genre/rpg/role-playing/

diablo 3 is by far 3rd most played Rpg within that club that covers all games.

7 weeks after launch TL2 went from 12 to almost out of the top 100 and PoE is even worse...

Diablo 3 simply doubled its playing time over the last 4 weeks and the pvp patch is not even out yet.

The reason is simple: d3 is more suited for on line play than MMO's these days.

Fast play, no hastle with grouping, one server per region, no rep grinds etc...

And patch 1.05 has some pretty good end game questing/ring quest..

After 6 months it is clear that with regular patches D3 is here to stay ...for the very long run.

The samples prove it.
Reply Quote
I don't think RMAH is killing the "Fair Play" gaming.

Why?

Because there's ALWAYS been Real Money trading over online games, and there's nothing any company can do about it. Unless they put a retina scanner for every time you log in, and still some crazy korean would steal some other people eyeball.

For example on WoW: With all that protection, people still trade gold, and people still sell whole accounts.

The difference is that as Blizzard noticed this problem is unavoidable, on D3 they decided to profit over it with a fee, providing some security over the trades.

As long as money exists, everything will be pay-to-win. From Online games, to Soccer matches and Wrestling...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]