Diablo® III

If D3 is the future of gaming....

if D3 is the future of gaming then . . . i guess i won't be playing many games . . .

currently playing TL2 the most (very much like D3, but not boring), PoE (also like D3 but the atmosphere acting seems better to me, i find the character animations to be poor), BL2 (first-person shooters give me headaches, but the dialogue etc is great), WoW (of course) . . . i believe that's it for now . . .

waiting for Elder Scrolls MMO . . . friends seem to get addicted to it, so i've been avoiding Skyrim . . .

in other words, OP, what the heck are you talking about . . . gotta take off those D3 blinkers . . . it's just one game of many out there
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 07:06 AMPosted by Lurs
And we wont miss you, pay2win credit card warrior. Also because RMAH failed so hard, we wont see such a horrendous system in future games, meaning I wont see you in future games for sure, and that makes me even more happy
It is not really a "fail" It is just a bit bugged and needs to be altered in some ways (more then 46 pages, better sorting, and the ability to compare items already equipped)

But please keep in mind if you think the bidding, price gauges, or bid/buy-out ninjas cause the auction house to fail your wrong...

Ebay anyone??? If there is not a set price for something YES it will be insanely priced, it is just insanely priced and insanely stupid buying items from i third party site (noted most people who !@#$% and moan are people who sell or had/are working for 3rd party item sites)

Understandably, in world of warcraft its just as insane in their auction house even though its gold only, 30 gold for a lvl 10 blue item... 30 gold is 300,000 copper and copper at lvl 10 normally drops at 10-20 per kill

though that is a low price estimate i have seen items go for 200 gold at low lvls!

Also think on this, If there is an RMAH people will typically buy from there, instead of gold, so gold will be priced low. If there is only a gold AH then the gold value will boom...

Just look at the hardcore ah....

But eitherway there will be a RMAH in future games... if it provides an option to it, SC2 no, WC4(if there will ever be) no, WoW6+ maybe, Diablo 3.2+ yes, and project titan yes
Reply Quote
Comparing Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 is completely ridiculous. Diablo 2 was a genre defining game where a lot people literally spent 10 years or playing that single game. I know I spent countless hours while I was in high school to play Diablo 2 and it was seriously the most memorable gaming experience I ever had. Diablo 2 was a game that spawned off so many clones/copies, it was ridiculous - Kind of like after WoW came out everyone wanted to get in on the MMO formula.

The problem with Diablo 3 is the core players expected more than what was delivered. Itemization was(is) crap, PvP is no where to be seen, the end game was difficult for most of the people, and it was generally not in a state to go be released. Now, they can certainly improve it overtime like they have with the patches but the core mechanics of the game are done and those are biggest flaws in the game. Why is there no stat allocation? That is a fundamental mistake that the developers made, not because I am nostalgic and like planning my stats but it killed any variation in builds. The story is totally generic and predictable and yet you have to manually skip the cut scenes everytime....Diablo 2 has a much more interesting story but let's not kid ourselves into thinking any of them is worth an award.

Unlike many other people here, I have no problem with the RMAH, in fact i welcome it because !@#$ like that was already going on in the black market so why not legitimize something that is already happening and take a cut from it? I also have no problem with the lack of talent tree, I like how I can change my skills on the fly instead of having to completely start a new character.

The problem is that Diablo 3 is that it followed Diablo 2/LoD, if it was a standalone game named "Angels and Demons" or something stupid like that it would have not been criticized so much but the fact of the matter is people wanted something revolutionary like Diablo 2 was after Diablo 1. It's like the new team did not even look at the old Diablo games, how do you have less items, gems, and interesting gear from the predecessor? How do you completely remove jewels, runs, charms etc that made Diablo 2 have so much variety that it was mind boggling.

For the future of ARPGs, I don't think anyone will look at Diablo 3 for inspiration, the de facto standard is still Diablo 2 which is spawning games like Grim Dawn, PoE, TL2, etc. With this expansion coming up for Diablo 3 I hope they go back to the drawing board and make some fundamental changes to improve Diablo 3. I want this game to succeed and live through the test of time and be a great game but they have to make improvements.
Edited by badb0y#1355 on 11/14/2012 7:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'll be sad if this is the future of gaming...

...but if it is the concept like Minecraft, philosophy-wise and game design which is "true" to its purpose then I'll jump in joy! The game sold 8M without advertisement but just by word of mouth.
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 12:14 AMPosted by Malurek
..it isnt. it wont be. blizzard is not the top it used to be. it makes money, but that doesnt mean its the top of design anymore. path of exile, and torchlight destroy diablo 3 in every aspect it coudltn live up to.

I'm sorry, but there's a lot of things in D3 that are done better than in PoE or Torchlight 2.
Reply Quote
I wanted to weigh in here.

As many complaints as I see about the RMAH on these forums I really hope that it is a part of the future of gaming. Many see this model as a cash grab by Blizzard but I believe that they are really onto something here. As others have mentioned, "Pay-to-win" was happening in every online RPG game since Ultima Online, and was only growing in popularity behind the scenes. Blizzard recognized a potential market and made it legit, instead of forcing it's players to break their rules to get a return on investment for their time spent playing a game.

If Blizzard really wanted to profit then their model could have been to have an online store where they sell items that they created, and they would be earning 100% of the profits. This model would have been equally successful (and already has been for other games) and earned them far more $$ than the RMAH ever could. Instead they put the power in the hands of their players and while I haven't spent a dime on this game I have earned a few bucks for doing something that I would be doing anyways. BRILLIANT!

The one thing I will say is this. I am perfectly fine with the RMAH model but where companies need to be careful is making players feel like they are forced into spending extra money to enjoy a game. Given the backlash that Blizzard got for the RMAH I hope that others take note and are careful in the future. Inferno difficulty was definitely a bit of a wall at launch and made players feel like they had no choice but to beat their heads against said wall or buy items on the RMAH. The most recent patch has smoothed out the progression into inferno significantly though.

tl;dr: I hope the RMAH is the future of gaming, so long as people aren't forced to use it.
Reply Quote
Have you tried Dungeons of Dredmor? At first, I thought the game was crap. I just recently played the game, and it is hella fun.

Torchlight 2: Not even going to try as I think it is a copy of Torchlight.
Path of Exile: Sound and Graphics just make me not want to play the game.
Diablo 3: Don't want to play hours just to get an upgrade. Same reason why I don't play WoW.

I'd rather tell my self I'm grinding exp than grinding for upgrades. Make D3 level cap 100.
Edited by duckmanneo#1736 on 11/14/2012 7:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 07:30 AMPosted by badb0y
Why is there no stat allocation? That is a fundamental mistake that the developers made, not because I am nostalgic and like planning my stats but it killed any variation in builds.

This is just not true. Most d2 builds - essentially all of them - use the same stat allocation. The only one that doesn't is an energy shield sorc, but that's all that comes to mind.

You could certainly build all of the builds in d2 with the same stat system that we have in d3. You wouldn't miss a thing. The variety of builds in D2 did not exist because of the stat allocation system - they existed for entirely different reasons... mostly due to itemization.

All the stat point system does is force the player to optimize it, and either reroll or respec their character until it's 100% optimal. It is a huge chore.
Edited by Scala#1900 on 11/14/2012 7:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
TheM0L3
View profile

tl;dr: I hope the RMAH is the future of gaming, so long as people aren't forced to use it.

consumerism (pay for power) is not the answer.
Reply Quote
Who claimed d3 was the future of gaming? Action rpgs have been around for a long long time, nothing future about it. What they've done is taken the d2 formula, fixed up a lot of the annoying problems with it, and added a better end game to it via the ah/rmah (and now ubers/paragon levels).
Reply Quote
I hope not.

The RMAH system bypasses the purpose of the game by offering "pay-for-power" service. Me and my friends plan not to buy future D3 expansion with RMAH.

Thats cool. Don't buy. But you do realize that ever single loot/item upgrade game has pay for power?
Reply Quote
TheM0L3
View profile

consumerism (pay for power) is not the answer.

It also cannot be stopped, and I am more than happy to embrace it if it means some $$ on the side. People need to ask themselves why it matters that someone else wanted to spend money to progress in a game. It's not for me but I won't begrudge those that chose too. Just like I don't care if you used a godmode cheat code to beat some other game faster than me. At the end of the day it has no bearing on my fun factor.

The mindset, not the model, needs to change.
Edited by TheM0L3#1696 on 11/14/2012 7:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
I hope not.

The RMAH system bypasses the purpose of the game by offering "pay-for-power" service. Me and my friends plan not to buy future D3 expansion with RMAH.

Thats cool. Don't buy. But you do realize that ever single loot/item upgrade game has pay for power?

Not to mention, he is looking at it the wrong way.

The RMAH is for people who don't mind spending money on their hobby or...

It's for people whom are very high paragon level with extremely sick gear. Essentially the AH/RMAH are the end game for these players. or...

You could view the RMAH as simply just a secondary currency. Lets say you get a really nice drop and you make 40 bucks off it. You could cash that out if you wanted, or you could also use it to buy upgrades for yourself, rinse repeat this process.
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 02:06 AMPosted by VinnyI82
But this style of gameplay doesn't belong within the Diablo franchise.

Please. The "gameplay" of D3 is nearly identical to any other ARPG.

It's the systems within the game people don't like. RMAH, lack of permanence, boring items etc. None of these things are really under the "gameplay" umbrella. They might dilute the experience for some, and/or people may not like or agree with those additions, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the core gameplay mechanic is hacking and slashing hordes of demons and collecting loot.

I'd also argue that compared to TL2, PoE etc, D3 bar none, feels the best. The controls and UI are tight and responsive. People underestimate how important this is, and is the primary reason why TL2 and PoE will fade into obscurity in comparison. No amount of mods and skill points can make up for the fact that they feel like crap in comparison.
Edited by Seraphi#1863 on 11/14/2012 7:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
... I'm gonna take off my pants and jacket.
Reply Quote
then...

people will get so accustomed to lags, rubber-banding and latency.

OR, we'll grow tired of lags we'll just go back to playing board games (strip version).
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 07:26 AMPosted by Carzone
waiting for Elder Scrolls MMO . . . friends seem to get addicted to it, so i've been avoiding Skyrim . . .

TES Online is going to suffer the same fate that SWToR did. Look how fast that went F2P.

A massively popular franchise being made into a MMO by a company that has next to no experience doing it.

There is so going to be such high expectations like there was with SWToR, that it will never meet, and people are going to be severely disappointed.

Also, FPS Hack and Slash isn't a lot of peoples cup of tea. Here's hoping they finally learn how to get 3rd person perspective right in a TES game.
Edited by Seraphi#1863 on 11/14/2012 8:03 AM PST
Reply Quote

TES Online is going to suffer the same fate that SWToR did. Look how fast that went F2P.

The reason being, it will be just another MMO that borrows heavily from WoW. Designers need to do something truly different if they want to make another hugely successful mmo. Elder scrolls online doesn't look to be doing that. It will probably start out with a decently large playerbase but then quickly shed subs and then ultimately go f2p as everyone flocks back to WoW.
Edited by skooo#1263 on 11/14/2012 8:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
It also cannot be stopped, and I am more than happy to embrace it if it means some $$ on the side. People need to ask themselves why it matters that someone else wanted to spend money to progress in a game. It's not for me but I won't begrudge those that chose too. Just like I don't care if you used a godmode cheat code to beat some other game faster than me. At the end of the day it has no bearing on my fun factor.

The mindset, not the model, needs to change.

Like you and many others celebrate and embrace the RMAH system without question let alone advising to succumb to the idea of consumerism is,for me, deeply disturbing. It's akin to how people are so addicted to fossil fuel that most don't even bother searching for a newer alternative because the former is much more "convenient."

This is sad. Guess if this is really the future of games then I will stick to 2D indie game platformers which most of the new releases are true to their heritage: puzzle solving and often skill is needed to progress.
Edited by izztickie#6669 on 11/14/2012 8:14 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]